Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Upgrade units in campaign

mstmst Posts: 35Registered Users
edited September 4 in General Discussion
So, I don't think I am missing something here, but there are units that are not side-grades of other units, but straight-up upgrades of previous ones. I am thinking i.e. about high elves Archers > Archers with armor, or Saurus Warriors > Suarus Warriors with shields, or Tomb Kings Chariots > Chariots with arrows - but there are many more.

So, for this kind of units it would be nice to have a small "Upgrade" button, that lets you upgrade it to its "better" version just paying its differential cost. This way, they would maintain their rank (and name!). I understand that I wouldn't have to recruit them again, so it would be a little bonus in not spending turns to do it, but it would be the same for every faction, so I don't think it would change the gameplay that much. Also, the upgrades are usually small (mostly shielded variants).

So, am I missing something here?

Let me buy shields for my lizard boys!

Comments

• angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Posts: 1,060Registered Users
    Too many charlemagnes
    Soon
  • mstmst Posts: 35Registered Users

Too many charlemagnes

That can't be the default answer for everything :)
    I don't think this addition would be the most resource-gobbling thing in the world.
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    I don't consider them as "upgrade". In my mod, I tried to change it a bit so it's more of a trade off:
    - High Elves archers: a bit faster and reload than armoured archers
    - Spearmen with shields: spear is a tad shorter and has less damage than the spearmen without shields
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 2,033Registered Users
    I hate wasting veteran units, knowing I will get a 100% upgraded version in a few turns later.

There got to be an option to give shields/armour/ammo to units without having to disband and recruit a new one.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,287Registered Users
    mst said:

So, I don't think I am missing something here, but there are units that are not side-grades of other units, but straight-up upgrades of previous ones. I am thinking i.e. about high elves Archers > Archers with armor, or Saurus Warriors > Suarus Warriors with shields, or Tomb Kings Chariots > Chariots with arrows - but there are many more.

So, for this kind of units it would be nice to have a small "Upgrade" button, that lets you upgrade it to its "better" version just paying its differential cost. This way, they would maintain their rank (and name!). I understand that I wouldn't have to recruit them again, so it would be a little bonus in not spending turns to do it, but it would be the same for every faction, so I don't think it would change the gameplay that much. Also, the upgrades are usually small (mostly shielded variants).

So, am I missing something here?

Let me buy shields for my lizard boys!

I'd rather have shielded and unshielded units be sidegrades rather the former being a straight upgrade to the latter. Like unshielded spearmen two-hand their spears and therefore get an MA and WS advantage.
  • angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Posts: 1,060Registered Users
    Enforest said:

I hate wasting veteran units, knowing I will get a 100% upgraded version in a few turns later.

There got to be an option to give shields/armour/ammo to units without having to disband and recruit a new one.

Exactly this, please CA, let us keep our unshielded veteran units
    Soon
  • mstmst Posts: 35Registered Users
    steph74 said:

I don't consider them as "upgrade". In my mod, I tried to change it a bit so it's more of a trade off:
    - High Elves archers: a bit faster and reload than armoured archers
    - Spearmen with shields: spear is a tad shorter and has less damage than the spearmen without shields

I'd rather have shielded and unshielded units be sidegrades rather the former being a straight upgrade to the latter. Like unshielded spearmen two-hand their spears and therefore get an MA and WS advantage.

I'd be completely ok with this too. I just find it annoying that I have units that are gonna be straight-up replaced a few turns down the road.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,715Registered Users
    Yesssss.... Embrace the Heroes of Might & Magic influencesss....
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 5,111Registered Users
    Yes please. At least for the unshielded variants. They are very silly, just like "oh, we couldn't afford a shield".
  • T_A_LT_A_L Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    You could do this in old Total Wars, even as recent as Atilla!