Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Free Old World Update Knightly Orders...

AbmongAbmong Posts: 1,013Registered Users
I sure hope these, like the Necrarch are placeholder kitbashes to be reworked later with proper models. They look jenky as hell the way they are currently. Even with current ingame assets CA could have done a much better job reskinning them instead of these lazy retextures...

The Stubborn Bulls... They could have had the bull head from Bretonnian KotR added onto them

The Knights of the Everlasting Light... Could have used the Candles from Dwarf Miners or Bretonnian Questing Knights Backpack and reskinned sun disk from Blazing Sun's helm added on them

Knights of Morr... Again could have used the half skull helms from Blazing Sun's helm and could've been Morr Black without the gold bits.

It's easy to say modders can do it. Problem is can they? Especially with way some textures can't now be make transparent, We can nolonger hide/get rid of some of the part from other models we don't want anymore. Kitbashing models is x10 harder than it used to be because of these permanent none transparent textures.
Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#

Comments

• angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Posts: 793Registered Users
    Hahaha...
    Soon
  • englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,953Registered Users
    It's easier to put Demigryph Knight helmet and slap on every unit.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 1,030Registered Users
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,439Registered Users
    Frankly it is not like CAs effort was any better than modders, just look at the necrarch vamprie.

At the end of the day they are just campaign units, it is not you are playing quick battle and you have to see your opponent use this models.

I am just glad that cult of Ulric is still on the table.
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Posts: 413Registered Users
    Knights of Morr was popular, but never on TT and pretty niche. I still think their popularity alone warranted more of an effort when making them.

Everlasting Light were up there as core orders, along with White Wolves, Panther and Reiksguard, and they don't look bad, just a shame none of their markings of heraldry will likely not be featured on the unit, also not being able to use them in MP.
  • FredenFreden Senior Member Posts: 298Registered Users
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 1,992Registered Users
    Abmong said:

It's easy to say modders can do it. Problem is can they? Especially with way some textures can't now be make transparent, We can nolonger hide/get rid of some of the part from other models we don't want anymore. Kitbashing models is x10 harder than it used to be because of these permanent none transparent textures.

Since when is that no longer possible? You can enable alpha in the rigid model file and delete the unwanted part on the texture. The real pain is to find that part on the texture without screwing up other parts.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • OdTengriOdTengri Posts: 3,124Registered Users
    Abmong said:

The Knights of the Everlasting Light... Could have used the Candles from Dwarf Miners

Good Call
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

edited September 4
    Modders can do it. Transparency is perfectly possible.

Adding the candle from dwarves may be difficult since it's a different skeleton.

But it can be added the shield heraldry. See my screenshot above.

• AbmongAbmong Posts: 1,013Registered Users
    Enforest said:

Abmong said:

Since when is that no longer possible? You can enable alpha in the rigid model file and delete the unwanted part on the texture. The real pain is to find that part on the texture without screwing up other parts.
    I think it was since the Wood Elf DLC came out. A lot of textures were locked from them. I was trying to make a better version for the Damsels using parts of the Fay Enchantress and spellsinger models.

Wanted to used the Fay's hair on spellsinger's head and body and use the Fay's dress over the top with spellsinger body underneath. Found out even if I blacked out the entire alpha on Fay's head dds the texture for her face and basic hair shape textures still remained... Blacking out the entire head dds alpha only made the laurel wreath and some strands of her hair transparent. You can retexture it fine but you can't make certain parts transparent like you could in other TW games.

Same goes for the her body dds. Blacking out that entire dds only makes the dress trim transparent, the main dress, chest, hand and leg skins remains. Which wasn't what I wanted.

Experimented with loads of other unit's dds files. Same thing. Blacking out the entire alpha on the dds only makes some small random parts transparent, not the entire texture that should be controlled by that dds.

I'm just using photoshop to edit the dds. If there's a way to delete those permanent parts I'm quessing you'll need to use 3D max or similar which I don't have. Plus I think it's against T&C to be modding the actual rigid models for TW:WH
    I know it was possible for other CAs own TW games but they've limited modding for TW:WH due to GW IP protection or something.

Alot can still be done but not as much as before. Like check out Mixu's LL mod. He tried using the Celestial Wizard's head for Theodoric Gausser's head but couldn't make the eye glass goggles contraption on the head transparent...
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#
  • mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,373Registered Users

It's easier to put Demigryph Knight helmet and slap on every unit.

I mean every company has some interns and they have to start from somewhere.
    steph74 said:

Modders can do it. Transparency is perfectly possible.

Adding the candle from dwarves may be difficult since it's a different skeleton.

But it can be added the shield heraldry. See my screenshot above.

That's the annoying thing. It would've been easy for the devs to do it since they have the raw meshes. Modders can't just take the candle model from the miner's head due to if being linked to a different skeleton type as you same. I tried something similar but the mesh just started warping and spazzing out like it was a wind puppet...
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 1,992Registered Users
    Abmong said:

Enforest said:

Abmong said:

I think it was since the Wood Elf DLC came out. A lot of textures were locked from them. I was trying to make a better version for the Damsels using parts of the Fay Enchantress and spellsinger models.

Wanted to used the Fay's hair on spellsinger's head and body and use the Fay's dress over the top with spellsinger body underneath. Found out even if I blacked out the entire alpha on Fay's head dds the texture for her face and basic hair shape textures still remained... Blacking out the entire head dds alpha only made the laurel wreath and some strands of her hair transparent. You can retexture it fine but you can't make certain parts transparent like you could in other TW games.

Same goes for the her body dds. Blacking out that entire dds only makes the dress trim transparent, the main dress, chest, hand and leg skins remains. Which wasn't what I wanted.

Experimented with loads of other unit's dds files. Same thing. Blacking out the entire alpha on the dds only makes some small random parts transparent, not the entire texture that should be controlled by that dds.

I'm just using photoshop to edit the dds. If there's a way to delete those permanent parts I'm quessing you'll need to use 3D max or similar which I don't have. Plus I think it's against T&C to be modding the actual rigid models for TW:WH
    I know it was possible for other CAs own TW games but they've limited modding for TW:WH due to GW IP protection or something.

Alot can still be done but not as much as before. Like check out Mixu's LL mod. He tried using the Celestial Wizard's head for Theodoric Gausser's head but couldn't make the eye glass goggles contraption on the head transparent...

I was able to successfuly remove the platform and other wooden parts from Bonebraker recently. The issue was that those parts were both a part of a Bonebraker and normal Rat Ogre textrues. So probably there was another texture/model assigned to the model you wanted to edit, or you didn't enable alpha on every part. Or there are indeed some models that work properly only in ws2...

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
    Enforest said:

I was able to successfuly remove the platform and other wooden parts from Bonebraker recently. The issue was that those parts were both a part of a Bonebraker and normal Rat Ogre textrues. So probably there was another texture/model assigned to the model you wanted to edit, or you didn't enable alpha on every part. Or there are indeed some models that work properly only in ws2...

Try the Fay Enchantress head and body. Unless I'm being stupid, you should be able to repeat the same problem I came across. I think the locked un-Transpancy issue affects the LLs, Lords and Heroes models more.
    As explained, you can use transparency for virtually any models, you just need to know how to do it.

Either use wsmodels, or use rigid_models, but there's one flag to turn "on". This requires hex editing, you don't need 3DS max.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Posts: 595Registered Users
    make them playble in mp
    steph74 said:

As explained, you can use transparency for virtually any models, you just need to know how to do it.

Either use wsmodels, or use rigid_models, but there's one flag to turn "on". This requires hex editing, you don't need 3DS max.

I can use hex editor to delete big chunks of a model by deleting associated dds files in the hex code. Haven’t been able to find what these “flags” to turn on are though since anything other than the dds directory in the hex looks like gibberish symbols to me. :/

Problem is I can’t seem to delete just the parts I want or make them transparent through alpha with the dds for the rigid models. Especially on the fay enchantress. Should be simple since there’s on two sets of dds files for her. One set for the head and one set for the body. And the test dds that doesn’t seem to do anything... it’s like there’s a hidden 2nd layer that I can’t seem to find and as far as I know and no one else has been able to find. Whether that is default attached to the mesh or the dds is hidden separately somewhere I can’t find.

Until someone produces a reskin using the Fay’s hair model without the face showing I’m inclined to think it can’t be done. Enough people have complained about the same issue on the TW mod centre forums.