Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lores of magic and Faction availability

snnnffrknlinsnnnffrknlin Registered Users Posts: 63
I have seen other posts on this, but since the issue keeps popping up when the dlc comes I want to make some noise.
The upcoming DLC looks amazing and they are updating how the Slann works. This is also what annoys me.
In the patch notes it says that the new Slanns will wield the following magics: "Fire, Life, High and Light".

According to the lore(I think, excuse me if I get this wrong), Lizardmen has access to all 8 lores(Metal, Fire, Life, High, Light, Heavens, Beasts, Shadows and Death). Why didn't CA just add that? Is it really that important that the Slann has different colors for each lore? If so, are there coming more down the line?

It's the same for the high elves and dark elves. Why must the empire be the only faction that gets extensive magic flexibility. One thing I know for certain with the empire is that having multiple lores of magic is FUN. Also, since the empire have almost all lores it cannot be because of balance reasons.

So why not add them? Please add the missing lores of magic for all factions that can use them lorewise. It makes the game better and more diverse.

Comments

• AeneAene Registered Users Posts: 113
    According to CA the reason is a limitation of their dilemma system, which is only able to provide four choices.
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,006
    Because MP balance. It has no real issue on campaign, it's only restricted because some factions might synergize too well with some lores. But I think CA will start adding more lores to factions as they have with Empire, because they implemented a unit cap system for MP, so it should work out in the end. Also they felt that adding Beasts and Heavens to the Slann would make Skink casters redundant, as mentioned in one of the streams they did recently.
    I'd love to see more lores of magic availability for all factions that had access to them.
    Aene said:

According to CA the reason is a limitation of their dilemma system, which is only able to provide four choices.

They simply could have randomized the Slann with available lores that you get from the dilemma, so it's all of the lores and you simply don't just spam one kind. There's 8 lores and 4 dilemma slots, sounds like half of them will be available most of the time.
  • AeneAene Registered Users Posts: 113

Aene said:

They simply could have randomized the Slann with available lores that you get from the dilemma, so it's all of the lores and you simply don't just spam one kind. There's 8 lores and 4 dilemma slots, sounds like half of them will be available most of the time.
    Oh sure, you can always argue for another system. Giving the players full control about the outcome is a viable and understandable approach tho.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 2,814
    Lorewise all Slann master all the lores of magic. So a single Slann having any kind of limitation is non-canon. The reason the restrictions are in place, are purely a result of the gameplay balance.

Lorewise all Slann master all the lores of magic. So a single Slann having any kind of limitation is non-canon. The reason the restrictions are in place, are purely a result of the gameplay balance.

I think Slann should actually get all lores. From a gameplay balance perspective, they can't abuse magic as most other casters can because they don't have mounts, flying and are slow and vulnerable to attacks.
  • BordigaBordiga Registered Users Posts: 275
    Lizardmen should have access to all the lores of magic they had in tabletop.

Same goes with regard to HE.

Any race in the game should not be considered until something as important and vital as magic choices is made completly available.
    All opinions my own.

Medieval II is still the best Total War.
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 875

I think Slann should actually get all lores. From a gameplay balance perspective, they can't abuse magic as most other casters can because they don't have mounts, flying and are slow and vulnerable to attacks.
    It would be a nightmare from a UI perspective, imgine Manlett, but then add 6 more lores to his options. But their should be a choice of exactly what spells from each lore you want your Slann to use.

I'd also like to see CA implement casting through a Skink priest for Slann at some point, but somehow I doubt that it will ever happen or is possible with the engine in its current form.

It would be a nightmare from a UI perspective, imgine Manlett, but then add 6 more lores to his options. But their should be a choice of exactly what spells from each lore you want your Slann to use.

I'd also like to see CA implement casting through a Skink priest for Slann at some point, but somehow I doubt that it will ever happen or is possible with the engine in its current form.
    No, I meant Slann should have a lord for each lore available to them, except for heavens and beasts which have been relegated to Skink priests. I didn't suggest them having all lores available on 1 Slann.