Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Solvedpreferences.script.txt does not work as intented.

AMX56FRAMX56FR Posts: 6Registered Users
edited September 13 in Rome II Support
Greetings,

After a few months not playing, I installed Rome 2 again.
The game launches fine, however I am unable to save any changes made to the parameters as the game immediatly crashes when I try, even simply trying to switch from fullscreen to windowed crashes it.

I tried uninstalling the game and steam, then reinstalling steam and the game (all in that order). But it didn't help.

I noticed that the preferences.script.txt isn't created when I launch the game. I proceeded to create it myself. However the game does not seem to write anything in it.

Deleting the whole Creative Assembly folder, then relaunching the game does recreate the folder but still doesn't create preferences.script.txt

Email me if you need additional information.

Regards.

Edit : attached DxDiag
Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really understand the situation.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,071Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Try a repair of your Steam library, clear your Steam download cache, then launch Steam using Run as Administrator.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • AMX56FRAMX56FR Posts: 6Registered Users
    Trying that now, I'll keep you posted.
    edited September 11
    Unfortunately it did not solve the problem. The preferences.script.txt still doesn't get created.
    And the game still crashes upon saving new parameters.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,071Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited September 11
    I think it's either something affecting you permissions or an anti-virus app preventing the execution of a write to the script. Have you created exceptions for Steam and the game in your anti-virus program? Have you tried setting the game to Run as Administrator?

Edit: is your script properties set to Read Only?
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

I disabled my antivirus, ran both steam and the game as admin. But the preferences.script.txt is still not created automatically and the game crashes when i try to change parameters. Creating it myself and making sure it is NOT set as read only, leads to crash on parameters change and preferences.script.txt stays empty. I simply don't understand why it doesn't work now when it did 6 months ago.
    In case you need additional information on my computer, I attach my DxDiag here.
    Try disabling Geforce Experience before starting the game.

Greetings,

I am pleased to report that disabling GeForce Experience SOLVED the issue. The game properly creates and fills the preferences.script.txt and no longer crashes on parameter change.

In addition, I tested without admin authority and it still works. It also works with antivirus enabled. So it seems that GeForce Experience was the only one causing the issue.

Hopefully this will help other people if they have the same problem.

Thank you for your help.

Have a nice day.
    That's good to hear. I'll mark the matter Solved.