Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Graphics card overheats when playing

JinbowaJinbowa Posts: 6Registered Users
Hi,
title says it basically.
I'm running the game on windows 10 with a gtx 970. Drivers are up to date.
This happens even on the lowest graphics settings (albeit a little slower) and this is the only game where this happens.
I cleaned all the fans in my pc, so that's not the issue.
Any suggestions as to what I might do about this? Is there a patch for this in sight?

Comments

• CA_HamishCA_Hamish Posts: 127Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SEGA
    Hi @Jinbowa

Sorry to hear you have encountered this while playing 3K. Total War games in general are very graphics intensive and thus utilise the resources of the GPU to their fullest extent to increase your performance in game. We carry out a wide range compatibility checks prior to release and throughout development of additional content, including the GPU you referenced. Unfortunately we did not encounter the GPU overheating or throttling in our tests.

When you lowered your Graphics Preset to Low, did you also reduce the "Texture Quality"? This is dependent on the VRAM of your GPU and would not change unless specifically set in the advanced settings.

Depending on the manufacturer of your GPU, you could look into setting up a target temperature for your GPU. This will most likely cause throttling on your GPU when exceeding the target temperature which will reduce performance but will prevent the overheating.

Furthermore, it might be worth checking the bearings on your fans, as they degrade overtime and can cause hardware to overheat.

Hope any of the above helps. Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks,
    CA_Hamish
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    CA_Hamish said:

Hi @Jinbowa

Sorry to hear you have encountered this while playing 3K. Total War games in general are very graphics intensive and thus utilise the resources of the GPU to their fullest extent to increase your performance in game. We carry out a wide range compatibility checks prior to release and throughout development of additional content, including the GPU you referenced. Unfortunately we did not encounter the GPU overheating or throttling in our tests.

When you lowered your Graphics Preset to Low, did you also reduce the "Texture Quality"? This is dependent on the VRAM of your GPU and would not change unless specifically set in the advanced settings.

Depending on the manufacturer of your GPU, you could look into setting up a target temperature for your GPU. This will most likely cause throttling on your GPU when exceeding the target temperature which will reduce performance but will prevent the overheating.

Furthermore, it might be worth checking the bearings on your fans, as they degrade overtime and can cause hardware to overheat.

Thanks,
    CA_Hamish

The temp for 3K is much much more than other games including Warhammer 2.

I have the same experience using both Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 (which caused a lot of crashes) and also Powercolor RX590 Red Dragon. I needed to downclock (even using default non boost bios) for RX580 and undervolt the RX590 to get the 'normal' temp.
  • JinbowaJinbowa Posts: 6Registered Users
    CA_Hamish said:

Hi @Jinbowa

Thanks,
    CA_Hamish

Thanks for replying.
    When I said I changed the graphics settings to low, I meant I went into advanced settings and put everything on the lowest possible setting. As I said it still kept overheating, albeit not as quickly. Since this is the only game I have this problem with, I assumed something might've been wrong.
    I first posted this during a heatwave, which may have intensified the issue. When I play the game now, my gpu still overheats, but much less frequently. It's far from optimal, but at least I can sort of play the game now without my computer turning into a blast furnace.