Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Development Update Blog

Comments

• Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,021

Itharus said:

Pretty sure an Araby Race pack would sell like hot cakes despite the few vocal content-deniers with their strange hatreds. Even if they upped the price a few bucks to cover it, I'm sure it'd still sell.

Nah... this reeks of Games Workshop. They have a history of making terrible decisions. They are also COMPLETELY psychotic about branding. I'm sure they won't allow CA to do anything they can't swoop up for use in AoS at some point. So Araby, Cathay, Ind - all paper thin veils of historical places - aren't brandable. Hobgoblin is a generic term like orc, so they might be able to get away with that one - but to them it's probably not worth the effort because they don't have room for them in AoS. Same for Araby/Cathay, too. The three are strictly WHFB stuff with no inertia for them beyond it. So... they tell CA no.

Ofc it would sell well but cost to profit lord packs is probably much better than any race.

Anyway the proof is in the pudding. Companies do what they profit most from.
    Some times ago CA said bigger DLC sell better. Then they stopped doing bigger DLC. So it's not like any of this makes sense.
  • GunKingGunKing Registered Users Posts: 621
    Man no Araby sucks... they would really enliven that portion of the map! And they had an army with its own look in Warmaster! What a shame.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,668

Itharus said:

Pretty sure an Araby Race pack would sell like hot cakes despite the few vocal content-deniers with their strange hatreds. Even if they upped the price a few bucks to cover it, I'm sure it'd still sell.

Nah... this reeks of Games Workshop. They have a history of making terrible decisions. They are also COMPLETELY psychotic about branding. I'm sure they won't allow CA to do anything they can't swoop up for use in AoS at some point. So Araby, Cathay, Ind - all paper thin veils of historical places - aren't brandable. Hobgoblin is a generic term like orc, so they might be able to get away with that one - but to them it's probably not worth the effort because they don't have room for them in AoS. Same for Araby/Cathay, too. The three are strictly WHFB stuff with no inertia for them beyond it. So... they tell CA no.

Ofc it would sell well but cost to profit lord packs is probably much better than any race.

You'd think they'd pursue all profits then, not just the best ones.

A great profit + a good profit > a great profit alone.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,092
    Very, very disappointed by the lack of Araby.

But thank you CA for being straight up with us.

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 9,954
    edited September 2019

Some times ago CA said bigger DLC sell better. Then they stopped doing bigger DLC. So it's not like any of this makes sense.
    Actions speak much louder than words.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 9,954
    edited September 2019
    Itharus said:

Itharus said:

You'd think they'd pursue all profits then, not just the best ones.

A great profit + a good profit > a great profit alone.
    Yeah but 2 great (2 lord packs) is better than one good and one great.

I really want race packs

Imo the reason the lord packs sell is because of the previous race packs. But CA may not get that/see it like that.

Imo to mske a businiess good you need both to strengthen your brand AND sell well. If you sell well at the cost of your brsnd (inferior products at great profit) you are hurting future sales. Unfortunately alot of companies get management that pump up profits in the short term and then let next management deal with the fallout.

Ive seen many companies do this. EA, Bioware, Bethesda, Disney to name a few.

The way CA has treated their brand is top notch. In a different league than the above which is why 3k sold so well etc but one day that may all come crashing down in an orgy of greed and folly like others have done.
    Post edited by Tennisgolfboll on
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • KandennKandenn Registered Users Posts: 488
    Thank you for that transparency CA. It's a lot better than before !

The futur looks brilliant for Warhammer and i can't wait to see what is comming !

A bit sad for Araby but atleast it's not out of question. Cathay was just a dream anyway.
  • IokkoIokko Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 625
    Thanks for the Clear communication CA. loving the new approach, and it's great to have a general time frame for upcoming content.

Obviously I'm disappointed about Araby but it's alright, and I'd much rather be told that there are no plans to introduce them than be left to speculate endlessly and be even more disappointed eventually.

This way i can now get hyped about things that are actually coming! Gimme all those cross game lord packs ca!
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.
  • IronzipIronzip Registered Users Posts: 1
    Itharus said:

This, and nobody is taking into account that CA and GW are UK based companies. Without getting too much into politics (that has no place here), Araby could be a little lets put it mildly ''controversial''

Very few companies can gain entering sore spots into politics. You run the risk of alienating part of your public, at the same time gaining nothing.
  • zuendl86zuendl86 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 392
    Where do they say we won´t get monogods?
  • NeutronStarNeutronStar Registered Users Posts: 132
    Bonutz619 said:

If I had to guess the reason why we’re not getting Araby, or potentially any other minor race for that matter, it would be a financial reason. Plain and simple. The race packs cost a lot more money to make then a lord pack but ultimately made about the same amount of money as a lord pack. Hence the “only lord packs remaining” for WH2 statement. No way to know this for sure but that would be my guess.

9 times out of 10 it always comes down to money.

You know, I acually had the same thought. In my case, I buy every dlc but the premise is that they will keep delivering interesting and well made dlcs, and if they decide to only make lord packs I will just stop giving my money.

I already regret buying the latest one as the more successful lord packs are the less likeely they are to make race packs. I hope they understand their fans won't be happy if they stop making race packs, but you never know with CA, they don' always make the best business decisions...
  • NeutronStarNeutronStar Registered Users Posts: 132
    talonn said:

Bonutz619 said:

If I had to guess the reason why we’re not getting Araby, or potentially any other minor race for that matter, it would be a financial reason. Plain and simple. The race packs cost a lot more money to make then a lord pack but ultimately made about the same amount of money as a lord pack. Hence the “only lord packs remaining” for WH2 statement. No way to know this for sure but that would be my guess.

9 times out of 10 it always comes down to money.

Didn't they charge more for racepack?
    Yes but they are much, much more expensive to make.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 5,198
    zuendl86 said:

Where do they say we won´t get monogods?

They don't explicitly say it, however they do say they are using the official sources to draw from. Monogods never (in WHFB, rather than AoS) had armybooks, so saying that game 3 will be anything other than the actual armybook races (+1) seems a little obtuse. That said I think they do have a chance as DLC races for game 3, as the vast majority of the stuff for them will already be in game, just not cores.
  • Ares354Ares354 Registered Users Posts: 3,712
    neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

When's Festag?

Christmas.
    Ares354 said:

Rolf1989 said:

This was a very good post. Looking forward to festag, and especially next year's Greenskins update.

Its will be a lot better then Empire is. More you play, more and more you see its not as "big" as all said it is
    Why am I not surprised to read that from you. Unsatisfied for eternity poor you. The rework could use a small amount of tweaks but it's very solid one and like it or not it IS a big rework and it is the biggest rework yet.
    I dont talk about rework, but DLC. And whole, and I dont need to be. For me its worse dlc then P&W. Gs have chance to way better dlc and rework.
    Well then what the Empire got is very solid. Not as good as Ikit of course (though it's hard to do better than him) but it's still an excellent DLC for what the Empire got. Lizardman side is a bit disappointing again though it's better than Tehenhauin.
    2 reskinned units, and 3 again reskinned units, great Empire part of that dlc, PAID dlc.
    First off they're not reskins but remodel. Following that logic then any human would be a reskin which is dumb ? And what's wrong with remodel ? They should make completely new skeletons for archers ? Or they should make only units that requires unique skeletons, animations and so on ?

If you can't keep your expectations realistic that's your problem not CA's.

Oh and if I follow your logic, weren't the skaven units reskins except for the doomflayers ?

And Markus also had some completely new mechanics, 4 heroes with many objectives for each one. Don't look only at the units to judge a Lord Pack, there are mechanics too and it's most likely the most expensive part to make.
    Archers and Huntmen are 2 same units, overhaul dlc got 4 units, doing same thing, reskin. War wagons, same thing. As for paid dlc use in game assets. Only outside "shell" aka textures ar new, nothing more.

yes for paid dlc, they should USE new assets.

Co you use Marcus heroes in custom game or new empire province units ? nope.

This is the best news since Prophet and Warlock. Finally, there will be no more fanfiction in the forums. Transparency is what was needed for a long time and I look forward to what is to come.

The core races are priority, and it seems CA agrees.

Norsca and core, HA. made up lady from V.Coast core, HA
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 7,856
    Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

When's Festag?

Christmas.
    Ares354 said:

Rolf1989 said:

This was a very good post. Looking forward to festag, and especially next year's Greenskins update.

Its will be a lot better then Empire is. More you play, more and more you see its not as "big" as all said it is
    Why am I not surprised to read that from you. Unsatisfied for eternity poor you. The rework could use a small amount of tweaks but it's very solid one and like it or not it IS a big rework and it is the biggest rework yet.
    I dont talk about rework, but DLC. And whole, and I dont need to be. For me its worse dlc then P&W. Gs have chance to way better dlc and rework.
    Well then what the Empire got is very solid. Not as good as Ikit of course (though it's hard to do better than him) but it's still an excellent DLC for what the Empire got. Lizardman side is a bit disappointing again though it's better than Tehenhauin.
    2 reskinned units, and 3 again reskinned units, great Empire part of that dlc, PAID dlc.
    First off they're not reskins but remodel. Following that logic then any human would be a reskin which is dumb ? And what's wrong with remodel ? They should make completely new skeletons for archers ? Or they should make only units that requires unique skeletons, animations and so on ?

Oh and if I follow your logic, weren't the skaven units reskins except for the doomflayers ?

And Markus also had some completely new mechanics, 4 heroes with many objectives for each one. Don't look only at the units to judge a Lord Pack, there are mechanics too and it's most likely the most expensive part to make.
    Archers and Huntmen are 2 same units, overhaul dlc got 4 units, doing same thing, reskin. War wagons, same thing. As for paid dlc use in game assets. Only outside "shell" aka textures ar new, nothing more.

But they didn't use already existing assets for the Empire units. If you have any evidence that it's already existing assets I'd be happy to see them but until now you're just wrong.

"Our blood is not for the likes of you! Raise a hand against us and I will scourge the spirit from your worthless bones and hurl you into the Outer Dark! Flee before my wrath, wretched sons of Aenarion! The Dark Mother waits, and if you press me I shall offer your souls up to her!"
    neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

When's Festag?

Christmas.
    Ares354 said:

Rolf1989 said:

But they didn't use already existing assets for the Empire units. If you have any evidence that it's already existing assets I'd be happy to see them but until now you're just wrong.
    hellblaster, one thing ,mortar second thing, units in normal war wagon, outrisders with their gun and animation.
    Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

When's Festag?

Christmas.
    Ares354 said:

Rolf1989 said:

hellblaster, one thing ,mortar second thing, units in normal war wagon, outrisders with their gun and animation.
    What did they have to do with that then ? Make a completely new skin for the hellblaster, mortar and troops inside the wagon ? It would be pointless and a waste of resource and budget. And btw the new wagon is a completely new model so saying the DLC is just reskins is completely dumb, like it or not.

"Our blood is not for the likes of you! Raise a hand against us and I will scourge the spirit from your worthless bones and hurl you into the Outer Dark! Flee before my wrath, wretched sons of Aenarion! The Dark Mother waits, and if you press me I shall offer your souls up to her!"
    neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

When's Festag?

Christmas.
    Ares354 said:

Rolf1989 said:

What did they have to do with that then ? Make a completely new skin for the hellblaster, mortar and troops inside the wagon ? It would be pointless and a waste of resource and budget. And btw the new wagon is a completely new model so saying the DLC is just reskins is completely dumb, like it or not.
    First you say this "But they didn't use already existing assets for the Empire units" Now you say something else. Make new units in War wagon, sure.

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

When's Festag?

Christmas.
    Ares354 said:

Rolf1989 said:

First you say this "But they didn't use already existing assets for the Empire units" Now you say something else. Make new units in War wagon, sure.

I don't see any issue with that if it's justified. In this case it was justified.

• DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,406
    Thank you for this update. I appreciate the change of approach from your side.
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 8,379
    Really applaud them for having a chinese section, with all the very negative portrayal of china in the real life political stage, its quite surprising to see a company like CA respecting other country and culture, huge judos right there. Of coz some might say its a commercial thing but thats not really true, many happily take their money and still try their best to make them looks bad
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • Total War ftwTotal War ftw Member Registered Users Posts: 1,272
    Where are the patch notes for this update?
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 2,139
    I’m really heartened reading this, thanks CA. The content released lately has been excellent (although I have my reservations about Pirates, not bought them yet) but the paragraphs about being more transparent about upcoming content, scale and delays is the best thing I’ve heard you mention this year.

Oh, and if an experience manager is reading this, please don’t add the awful Lion chariots when you get the HE next; you’re doing a great job in rectifying some of GW’s shortcomings... ;)
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 28,396
    If they add the White Lion chariot it should be an exclusive character mount option.

• Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,021

I’m really heartened reading this, thanks CA. The content released lately has been excellent (although I have my reservations about Pirates, not bought them yet) but the paragraphs about being more transparent about upcoming content, scale and delays is the best thing I’ve heard you mention this year.

Oh, and if an experience manager is reading this, please don’t add the awful Lion chariots when you get the HE next; you’re doing a great job in rectifying some of GW’s shortcomings... ;)

Please add them.

1-1
  • TumbleTumble Registered Users Posts: 555
    "We do want everyone to bear in mind that there’s a lot of content out there that is unofficial and fan-created. We’re working with Games Workshop to realise as much of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world as we can, but of course there are limits to what is possible given the amount of content that has been officially created"

This does not explain Cylostra Direfin
    Tumble said:

"We do want everyone to bear in mind that there’s a lot of content out there that is unofficial and fan-created. We’re working with Games Workshop to realise as much of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world as we can, but of course there are limits to what is possible given the amount of content that has been officially created"

This does not explain Cylostra Direfin

They explained why they made Cylostra already.

• TumbleTumble Registered Users Posts: 555
    I know they did neodeinos but making this distinction between offical and fan created content in the context of only being able to realise a certain amount of the world contradicts her creation. I'm saying it's flawed to say there is too much offical content to go near fan-content but then use resources to develop their own made up creations rather than draw from the backlog of official content
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 2,118
    The GW head honchos had better be massive fans of this game or I don't personally feel they're qualified for their roles. :p

Hopefully the idea of playing as the hobgoblin hordes and assaulting the wall of Cathay will excite them so much that they'll give it the green light in the future. I'm not holding my breath, of course.
    Often bored, but never finished. Food, war, carousing, rabble-rousing... A gobbo's work is never done.