Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Hope each playable character comes from different Nations

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 8,653
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
How many factions on campaign map?

---------------
Take note in Thrones of Britannia if the factions were Alfred, Guthrum, etc....,

Nations are way better, aren't they?
Post edited by jamreal18 on

Comments

• iceniiicenii Senior Member The PhilippinesRegistered Users Posts: 1,371
    Characters i think.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,653
    icenii said:

Characters i think.

So Characters will now present their nation?

Does it mean Hector will present Trojans instead of Priam?
    jamreal18 said:

icenii said:

Characters i think.

Maybe/maybe not , their might be some internal politics involved that might allow for it. But i definitely feel CA are going for a more character story based game like Warhammer/3K especially as their might be more written about these semi Legendary characters than their actual countries/cities. People maybe more familiar with these heroes than the places they were born/lived in. Personally i prefer controlling an actual kingdom/city as opposed too controlling a character like in 3k.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
    ^Agree

Characters are what make the Nation.

If Nations are the Factions; when a character died, he can still be replaced by other character.
  • AnedonAnedon Registered Users Posts: 139
    jamreal18 said:

icenii said:

Characters i think.

Well wouldn´t suprise me if Priam gets the Finubar treatment, present in a few events but largley ignored.
    jamreal18 said:

^Agree

Characters are what make the Nation.

If Nations are the Factions; when a character died, he can still be replaced by other character.

There do seem to be quite a few named characters/hero's on both sides, maybe there were some famous characters at the time who didn't choose sides, maybe we can recruit those. Possibility of bribing enemy hero's, generals ?
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,350
    According to this article, two races each with four playable factions:

Greece: Agamemnon, Menelaus, Odysseus, Achilles
    Troy: Aeneas, Hector plus two unspecified.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-saga-troy/gameplay
  • VahouthVahouth Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Maybe Paris will be the 3rd Trojan.
    Resistance is Futile...
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 4,293
    We just know that there will be 8 playable heroes. So 8 factions to play.

We don’t know how many other, smaller heroes each faction will have. There are still so many characters that need to be unique somehow.
  • IelloIello Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 428
    They probably are different factions, based on the myths.

My guess:

Agamemnon — Mycenae
    Menelaus — Sparta
    Odysseus: Ithaca
    Achilles: Pthia

Hector: Troy (though according to a preview, Priam will control the main city at first)
    Aeneas: Dardania

The other two “Trojans” will probably also have their own factions. Memnon might be a horde faction with Ethiopians? Penthesileia would probably come from Themiscyra in Asia Minor instead of from Thrace, because of how the map works.

Basically based on the campaign preview and everything we know from the myths, I think it’s guaranteed these playable characters will all be from different factions. It won’t be a Warhammer Empire situation with 3 characters starting at one faction start, imo.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,021
    edited September 2019
    Guessing we will see Sarpedon in Lycia as well. Aeneas in Dardania is rather close to Troy so Sarpedon gives the Trojan side a more distant ally. Memnon and Penthesilea I see more as heroes that come to your aid as Troy in the middle of your campaign. If anything they are prime DLC material. My guess is Paris, Hector, Aeneas, and Sarpedon will be the starting factions for Troy. Maybe Penthesilea replaces either Aeneas or Sarpedon as a faction since CA loves female characters.

If there Is a Pre order DLC i expect it will be a "Greek Allies" DLC with Diomedes, Aeginan Ajax(with Teucer?) And some other Greek alongside them(Whoever starts in Knossos? I forget if they are involved) The Trojans have a bunch of non Greek/Trojan allies that could be dlc.

EDIT: Iodemenus is King of Crete and took a distinguished part in the war. Seems like a good third lord for a theoretical Greek Allies DLC(hopefully with some slightly different looking Minoan units? If we even know what difference they had).
  • IelloIello Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 428
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I think there’s a good basis for Penthesileia just because it makes sense they CA would have at least one female faction leader. And that she’s 100% part of the Epic Cycle along with her Amazons.

That’s also why I suspect (and hope) she’ll be a starting faction. To have that option, and because the sandbox game isn’t necessarily going to follow the epic exactly.

Whether the final Trojan hero is Sarpedon or Memnon is less clear to me. My instincts say Sarpedon with Memnon as DLC because he’s technically an off-map character and may need special characters.

But you could also be right that Memnon may be a recruitable hero.
  • JordanBoroJordanBoro Registered Users Posts: 8
    Iello said:

They probably are different factions, based on the myths.

My guess:

Agamemnon — Mycenae
    Menelaus — Sparta
    Odysseus: Ithaca
    Achilles: Pthia

Hector: Troy (though according to a preview, Priam will control the main city at first)
    Aeneas: Dardania

The other two “Trojans” will probably also have their own factions. Memnon might be a horde faction with Ethiopians? Penthesileia would probably come from Themiscyra in Asia Minor instead of from Thrace, because of how the map works.

Basically based on the campaign preview and everything we know from the myths, I think it’s guaranteed these playable characters will all be from different factions. It won’t be a Warhammer Empire situation with 3 characters starting at one faction start, imo.

So what about Ajax?
  • ArminageShikobaArminageShikoba Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 175

All the factions/characters are on this image.

If you watch the campaign fly over you get introduced to 5 characters, all of which are on this image.

The Greeks are on the Left, Menelaus top, Odysseus middle left, and Agamemnon bottom.

Achilles in Central Left, Hector is Central Right

Trojans on the Right, Unknown top right, Paris with the Bow and Unknown (possibly Aeneas) with the Shield.
    ^Actually I expected to see someone from Thrace, Amazon, Crete and Ethiopia. Wish each playable faction came from different nations. Hector and Paris are both Trojan and sons of Priam. For me, 1 playable Trojan is enough, both of them should be playable in the same faction is better to give spot for other characters which could provide different roster. Anyways, looking forward to post DLC.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 4,293
    When Troy goes in the same direction like ToB we will get 2 factions for every culture/nation. So 4 cultures sounds good to me.
    1. Mycenae
    2. Greek tribes
    3. Troy
    4. ???

I don’t know much about existing kingdoms cultures in the Asian peninsula during that time. I just know the Hittites but I doubt they will be part of the game.

I hope we don’t get Ethiopians even if Kush was one of my favourite factions in Rome 2. They just lived to far away. Having an Ethiopian faction in Troy would be like having the Emirate of Córdoba playable in ToB. Wouldn’t really fit into the setting.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,021
    edited September 2019
    ArneSo said:

When Troy goes in the same direction like ToB we will get 2 factions for every culture/nation. So 4 cultures sounds good to me.
    1. Mycenae
    2. Greek tribes
    3. Troy
    4. ???

I don’t know much about existing kingdoms cultures in the Asian peninsula during that time. I just know the Hittites but I doubt they will be part of the game.

I hope we don’t get Ethiopians even if Kush was one of my favourite factions in Rome 2. They just lived to far away. Having an Ethiopian faction in Troy would be like having the Emirate of Córdoba playable in ToB. Wouldn’t really fit into the setting.

Memnon was King of Ethiopia and joined the war on the Trojans side. He was considered just as skilled as Achilles himself and the fighting between them was so fierce that the gods had to flip a coin(I believe) to determine who would win because the fighting was so close. He brought with him an army of Ethiopians and Indians apparently. That said he doesn't seem to be on the poster but I hope he is a dlc, also hopefully Penthesilea and some other more culturally distinct factions.
  • TemudhunTemudhun Member Registered Users Posts: 94
    ArneSo said:

1. Mycenae
    2. Greek tribes
    3. Troy
    4. ???

Ethiopia in Greek texts doesn't necessaily stand for modern day Ethiopia. It could be any place in Africa, including Cyrenaica as far as I know.