Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Just can't get back into other TWs anymore after 3K...

19930423LDr19930423LDr Posts: 198Registered Users
Fired up Warhammer 2 again today to try the new content, but couldn't bring myself to play more than a few turns.

The campaign just feels so bland compared to 3K. No diplomacy, no lord deaths, can't equip chars with their own armour, can't capture and execute other chars, no auto formations, everything just feels slow as morass like the turn times and not being able to recruit retinues to create armies. Even the UI feels wrong compared to 3K. Uninstalled after coming to the realization that Warhammer 2 is just too outdated for me to enjoy anymore.

I soooooo want to just keep playing 3K, but the last patch really screwed up to the point where even the main campaign is affected. Please let the October patch be godlike. I really just want to keep playing this game.

Comments

• nephlitenephlite Posts: 285Registered Users
    The battle of 3K is low quality and weird balance,
    but only reason I'm still playing this game is thanks to smooth campaign.

But not enough.
    I don't want Sun family to be 100% final boss or Cao family to be 100% ruined.
    I Want famous forts and gates in campaign map.
    I Want ship fight.
    I want to give loyalty to the Han emperor.
  • 19930423LDr19930423LDr Posts: 198Registered Users
    edited September 2019
    nephlite said:

But not enough.
    I Want ship fight.

Tbh I even enjoy 3K battles more than other TW games now. Ya WH has amazing variety in units, but the reused maps, lack of settlement battles, and sieges bring it down for me. At this point I'd say they're about even in terms of enjoyment.

Would I like more unique factions and units. Definitely, and in that department 3K is very lacking, but I don't hate the battles. Not enough for me to want to go back to plain previous TW campaigns anyway.

I just can't imagine playing a pre-3K TW title anymore. They're basically two different eras to me. There's pre-3K and post-3K.
  • shattishatti Posts: 369Registered Users
    edited September 2019
    I felt that the day 1 i played warhammer after Attila. Not new feeling to me. But u r right 3k made warhammer so casual campaign wise

And to add something. I always thought the warhammer battles are superior but honestly. They last 5 minuets
    Most people are ok for the short battles. ( they care about leveling up and other stuff) but for me i’m a battles enthusiast
    And i care for epic large battles.
    im very used to 240 soldiers per unit in 3k right now. Warhammer feels small battle wise currently
  • MortenKEMortenKE Posts: 397Registered Users
    nephlite said:

But not enough.
    I Want ship fight.

I actually had a campaign as Ma Teng and the three emperors where Sun Jian, Liu Bei and Cao Cao. I thought that was pretty cool that Cao Cao actually did something for once. But that is also 1 out of either 13 or 14 campaigns (not including mine as him of course)
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Posts: 529Registered Users

Fired up Warhammer 2 again today to try the new content, but couldn't bring myself to play more than a few turns.

The campaign just feels so bland compared to 3K. No diplomacy, no lord deaths, can't equip chars with their own armour, can't capture and execute other chars, no auto formations, everything just feels slow as morass like the turn times and not being able to recruit retinues to create armies. Even the UI feels wrong compared to 3K. Uninstalled after coming to the realization that Warhammer 2 is just too outdated for me to enjoy anymore.

I soooooo want to just keep playing 3K, but the last patch really screwed up to the point where even the main campaign is affected. Please let the October patch be godlike. I really just want to keep playing this game.

I thought I was the only one
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    shatti said:

I felt that the day 1 i played warhammer after Attila. Not new feeling to me. But u r right 3k made warhammer so casual campaign wise

And to add something. I always thought the warhammer battles are superior but honestly. They last 5 minuets
    Most people are ok for the short battles. ( they care about leveling up and other stuff) but for me i’m a battles enthusiast
    And i care for epic large battles.
    im very used to 240 soldiers per unit in 3k right now. Warhammer feels small battle wise currently

Yes fully agree. 3k is the new standard. Also play with extreme unit size. Anything smaller doesn’t feel epic!
  • street_regulatorstreet_regulator Posts: 166Registered Users
    edited September 2019
    It was like that for me at the start, but changed after a few campaigns. 3K is just riddled with bugs that make the campaign intolerable after some play time. Campaign in WH2 isn't as complex/enjoyable, that's for sure, but the battles are 1000x better than 3K in my opinion. Every battle in 3K feels the same, due to tiny unit variety & effective playstyles.
    So it's between:

a fun sophisticated campaign that is plagued with bugs and has monotonous battles,
    OR
    a less buggy & simplistic campaign with far superior battles.

That's the way I see it at least, so it's an easy choice for me.

Edit: that's not even mentioning the AWFUL unit balancing on 3K. It's really abysmal
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,286Registered Users
    edited September 2019

It was like that for me at the start, but changed after a few campaigns. 3K is just riddled with bugs that make the campaign intolerable after some play time. Campaign in WH2 isn't as complex/enjoyable, that's for sure, but the battles are 1000x better than 3K in my opinion. Every battle in 3K feels the same, due to tiny unit variety & effective playstyles.
    So it's between:

a fun sophisticated campaign that is plagued with bugs and has monotonous battles,
    OR

Edit: that's not even mentioning the AWFUL unit balancing on 3K. It's really abysmal

I play more the campaign side instead of battle side. Warhammers maybe fun for me the earlier turns for the battles but when it gets to mid and late game where I auto resolve more then it loses it touch.

I got the new Warhammer DLC. Manage to play few turns as Nakai before getting bored and get back to my YT campaign.

Then I got the Gotrex Felix code from some kind soul on Reddit. Started to play as Empire. This is more fun and I manage to play more turns. However once the battles loses its novelty, I always falls back to 3K.
    Post edited by LestaT on
  • davor999davor999 Posts: 107Registered Users
    Excellent point. I do hope they release some proper new content for 3K after the disaster of 8P
  • markp27markp27 Posts: 1,366Registered Users

So it's between:

OR

Was an easy choice for me too, started replaying Last Remnant remastered :D
    edited September 2019
    @LestaT how do you get bored of wh2 battles but find 100 battles of ji/archer militia vs ji/archer militia enjoyable?

@LestaT how do you get bored of wh2 battles but find 100 battles of ji/archer militia vs ji/archer militia enjoyable?

Grapics are better and like the approach they have taken with cavalry and archers and how it’s balanced/ works out. Also the fuels are fun to watch. 3k wins it on all fronts. It needs more polishing though and more variation.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Posts: 1,622Registered Users
    edited September 2019
    LESAMA said:

Grapics are better and like the approach they have taken with cavalry and archers and how it’s balanced/ works out. Also the fuels are fun to watch. 3k wins it on all fronts. It needs more polishing though and more variation.
    Its pretty lame copypasta. No diversity at all. Thank god for Troy, bring fantasy elements to stale historicals.
  • united84united84 Posts: 655Registered Users
    Amonkhet said:

LESAMA said:

Its pretty lame copypasta. No diversity at all. Thank god for Troy, bring fantasy elements to stale historicals.
    We get it, you dont like TW3K. So, why are you here ?

Fantasy section is that way ------------------------------------>

• shattishatti Posts: 369Registered Users
    Amonkhet said:

LESAMA said:

Copyrice ** u noob
    @LESAMA I don't find the graphics to be particularly better, and I have no idea where you were trying to go with "approach they have taken with cavalry and archers and how it’s balanced/ works out." Maybe I've been spoiled by other devs constantly releasing balance patches, but there really isn't any proper unit balancing in this game. You can comfortably win a legendary campaign with 4 types of basic starting units: spear guard, sabre militia, archer militia, and lancer militia. Any addition/variance to that is minor & inconsequential, and usually only done so the player adds their own "spark" to the gameplay, and is not actually out of necessity.

I'm completely impartial to the silly "fantasy vs real history" debate, and only have opinions on the merits of each game strictly from a gameplay standpoint. I can't play more than 30 turns in 3K without encountering a game altering bug that spoils the rest of the campaign. They've implemented all these cool diplomacy features, but aren't doing anything to actually make sure that they function properly. I am NOT a big warhammer fan. Those games have their own problems; but speaking completely objectively, I can't see how one can claim that 3K is better from a gameplay standpoint. Don't mistake this as high praise for wh2, because it isn't, its just how lowly I think of 3K.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 2,199Registered Users
    I found the exact same thing. I wanted to try get back into it... but it just felt too... bland to play. The economy is garbage. The diplomacy system is boring. Even the battles are boring for me. I find that TW Three Kingdoms "Record Mode" is far more interesting.

A unit of crossmen men on here shoot at the enemy... and kill them.

In warhammer, the same unit of crossmen shoot at the enemy and some "ward save" protects them... like huh?!

Generals on TW TK can ride into battle and utterly devastate the enemy... but if you let them get surrounded or charge them into a spear wall... your general Will Die... and there is no coming back from that.

I once (accidently) charged Lu Bu into a line of heavy halberds... he died on the spot and I was like nooooooooo!!!!!!! I couldn't continue on with the campaign (even though he had 4 sons ready for battle). The loss was too much to bear and no mortal was capable of filling his shoes... not even his own sons!

In fact... I was so mad, that I summoned all of my available generals, went to Liu Bei's capital and utterly destroyed his army, executed his brothers and razed his capital to the ground.

Compare that with TW Warhammer... your general dies... it's more like "whoops! I'll have to try that differently next time he revives".
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • SchusselSchussel Posts: 749Registered Users
    Its the other way round for me after trying 3k several times (it has really intresting new things in campaign)
    I went back to Warhammer ans Shogun much more enjoyable battles, sieges, no strange senseless limitaitions of unit recruiting.

• markp27markp27 Posts: 1,366Registered Users

I once (accidently) charged Lu Bu into a line of heavy halberds... he died on the spot and I was like nooooooooo!!!!!!! I couldn't continue on with the campaign (even though he had 4 sons ready for battle). The loss was too much to bear and no mortal was capable of filling his shoes... not even his own sons!

In fact... I was so mad, that I summoned all of my available generals, went to Liu Bei's capital and utterly destroyed his army, executed his brothers and razed his capital to the ground.

Why would you do that when it was Cao Cao who killed Lu Bu!!!!!
  • Paddy234Paddy234 Senior Member Posts: 368Registered Users
    Playing Warhammer is hard for me due to unit sizes. In three kingdoms unit sizes at extreme are perfect and run better aswell. In Warhammer 2 I tried using the double unit size mod but even with my high spec system the fps drops to the teens in huge battles. It just isn't meant for the large battles you get in Three Kingdoms. The optimization alone is what make this game stand above and beyond many others. End turn times are impressive aswell and the campaign is buttery smooth.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 2,199Registered Users
    markp27 said:

Why would you do that when it was Cao Cao who killed Lu Bu!!!!!
    Because it was the big eared villan (liu bei) who convinced him too :)

"I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,286Registered Users

I'm a campaign player. I dont fight each and every battles. Only fight earlier battles and later if the auto resolve does not gives me win. When you came to the part where battles are no longer needed then there's not much to do on Warhammer campaign side except move army here and conquer there.

@LESAMA I don't find the graphics to be particularly better, and I have no idea where you were trying to go with "approach they have taken with cavalry and archers and how it’s balanced/ works out." Maybe I've been spoiled by other devs constantly releasing balance patches, but there really isn't any proper unit balancing in this game. You can comfortably win a legendary campaign with 4 types of basic starting units: spear guard, sabre militia, archer militia, and lancer militia. Any addition/variance to that is minor & inconsequential, and usually only done so the player adds their own "spark" to the gameplay, and is not actually out of necessity.

I'm completely impartial to the silly "fantasy vs real history" debate, and only have opinions on the merits of each game strictly from a gameplay standpoint. I can't play more than 30 turns in 3K without encountering a game altering bug that spoils the rest of the campaign. They've implemented all these cool diplomacy features, but aren't doing anything to actually make sure that they function properly. I am NOT a big warhammer fan. Those games have their own problems; but speaking completely objectively, I can't see how one can claim that 3K is better from a gameplay standpoint. Don't mistake this as high praise for wh2, because it isn't, its just how lowly I think of 3K.

Cavalry and archers are better balanced imo with more distinct prose and cons vs warhammer. I also like how to cohesion plays out between the different classes of units. So for me battles are fine.

With regard to only needing militia units this could be the case but what’s the fun in that? I like to role play and use a mix of militia and elite units. Never play legendary because of the role playing element and the ai cheating. Guess we are different kind of players in that respect.

Furthermore The ai seems to be able to field a mix of both militia and elite troops.

Campaign wise 3k is the new standard. Anything less is less fun.

• JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Posts: 680Registered Users
    If i know I can't play for at least an hour I won't even start. Problem is I always want to play one more turn.
    3 Kingdoms is a great game campaign wise. Make ranked battles in Records mode. Until that is done it won't be complete.
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
    @LESAMA Yes, we definitely have different preferences, no question about that. You value theme/roleplaying while I value challenge/variety. I understand that the game at its current state is acceptable for your playstyle, but I hope you understand that it is beyond subpar for mine.
    3K campaign is the new standard, we can agree on that; but like I said above, whats the point in having an amazing campaign/diplomacy system when it is not functioning properly due to bugs?
  • XVypeXXVypeX Posts: 242Registered Users
    Tomorrow we will be getting a FAQ report on the new patch plus the FLC information - let's hope it clarifies lots of players worries and solves lots of bug issues that everyone have faced.