Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total war : Middle Earth

Hi , I’m a huge fan of total war and lord of ring, so I was wondering that , do you have plan to develop total war lord of ring or middle earth something like that ?

PS: I’m a player from Taiwan, I think Total war : Three Kingdoms is awesome. You really revived the features of ancient China.

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users
    CA has not announced any plans to make a TW: Middle Earth. Currently seems unlikely they'd get the IP and doubtful it would make a good TW game.
  • Rath_DarkbladeRath_Darkblade Senior Member Posts: 2,125Registered Users
    If you want a good LOTR game that's a little like TW, look into "Battle for Middle Earth". :smile:
    "There is nothing wrong with nepotism, provided you keep it all in the family."
    --Winston Churchill
  • virginia1861virginia1861 Posts: 29Registered Users
    Commisar said:

CA has not announced any plans to make a TW: Middle Earth. Currently seems unlikely they'd get the IP and doubtful it would make a good TW game.

Total war would make the perfect total war. Tolkien carries the largest fantasy fan base of all time only expanded by the movies that could be brought into the total war series. A match made in haven. As someone who has not played a total war game since empire, this would get me back into total war. Lord of the Rings is the best selling fantasy book of all time. The Hobbit is the third best fantasy seller. Besides the Bible, LOTR is the third best selling book of all time, the Hobbit is 8th on the all time list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-selling_books
    https://jamesclear.com/best-books/best-selling

The world created by Tolkien would fit perfect for the next fantasy total war game. Lord of the Rings provides what Total war needs.

- Large fan base already present
    - Multiple diverse factions with both challenges and bonuses for each
    - Hugh map of Middle Earth with diverse terrain and battle maps
    - Large numbers of diverse units and forces for epic battles
    - Large castles for epic siege battles
    - Hero's of legend with special abilities
    -Agents, spies, assassins, diplomats etc
    - Battle over land, sea and air
    - Economy and trade

It is not surprising that the most awarded, most downloaded , mod ever made for a total war game is the third age mod.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Age-Total-War

Since this mod was done for medieval 2 and was a mod, it had major setbacks. But it shows the poetical for what a CA done Lord of the Rings total war would be, it would simply be the "One game to rule them all"

However there is an irrefutable reason CA needs to make middle earth total war. Tolkien was from England, CA is based in England. Tolkien made LOTR so England could have its own fantasy [like the Norse epics]. Therefore , out of sheer duty and patriotism, CA must know make the video game for England. Or else CA have no right to be called Brits

On an earlier thread I argued that a Lord of the rings total war would be the best choice for CA as the next fantasy genre to follow warhammer. The downfall being access to the rights to be able to make a game based on the movies and books. But why not do a game based on the books alone? Wouldn't the rights be easier to get? I see less of a downfall if CA makes a game based on the books alone. This would also allow them to design a middle earth after their own interpretation and give them more licence in this area. The only downfall I see some will argue that because the movies were so popular many would want the game to visually resemble the movie by Jackson. However It is likely that CA would come to a similar [maybe even improved] visual attraction to Middle earth than the movies. I think if they created a middle earth, few would find objection enough to not purchase a total war game for this reason alone. But even for them a possible solution is in modding. If modders can tinker with the looks of units, they should be able to make the adjustments to match the movies. However the Tolkien fan base's majority is in the books, not the movies. Add to that the total war fan base that simply loves total war, you have a major seller even if a few fall through the cracks.The soon to be made middle earth by amazon, the most expensive TV show ever will add to the popularity of Tolkien. The upcoming universal Studios Middle earth theme park will do the same, as will the recent movie about Tolkien to a lesser extent.

Contact CA let them know you want it.
    https://www.creative-assembly.com/contact

If you want a good LOTR game that's a little like TW, look into "Battle for Middle Earth". :smile:

It is a good rts game, but nothing like a tw game with a campaign map. And after it went through patches it was no longer a LOTR game but an rts game with a lotr look only.
    Commisar said:

. Currently seems unlikely they'd get the IP and doubtful it would make a good TW game.

"Christopher Tolkien, son and literary heir of J.R.R. Tolkien, resigned from the Tolkien Estate. And his departure changes everything.....With Christopher’s departure as an officer of the Tolkien Estate (which was incorporated in 2011), the long-awaited “rights frenzy” for Tolkien properties may soon begin,”
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017...olkien-estate/

Christopher Tolkien has retired and the rights of the Tolkien estate are up for grabs. Perfect time for CA to make a Lord of the Rings total war. Or, to work with Warner Bros to make a LOTR total war. They have worked together before.

SEGA PARTNERS WITH WARNER BROS.
    https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/sega-partners-warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-co-publish-“-matrix-online”

Total war would make the perfect total war. Tolkien carries the largest fantasy fan base of all time only expanded by the movies that could be brought into the total war series. A match made in haven. As someone who has not played a total war game since empire, this would get me back into total war. Lord of the Rings is the best selling fantasy book of all time. The Hobbit is the third best fantasy seller. Besides the Bible, LOTR is the third best selling book of all time, the Hobbit is 8th on the all time list.

Except it doesn't. They have very limited units and only Mordor is focused on expanding their control and developing new weapons. So the province, army and faction development ends up really limited.

And? So it has a large base, means nothing. Books do not equal games. I have a lot of fans of the series in my family, they refuse to watch the films and none of them have played any of the current games. It's also worth looking at the sale and player stats of other LotR games to see how they are doing, I don't see a single one in the top 100 Steam games.

The world created by Tolkien would fit perfect for the next fantasy total war game. Lord of the Rings provides what Total war needs.

- Economy and trade

Again it doesn't. Fan base means nothing for the game, as I said above.

Factions aren't that diverse, Other than the "good" and "bad" factions they end up being very similar and very limited.

Not heard of any naval battles in the series.

Not much sign of trade or much economy in the stories, not for many of the factions.

However there is an irrefutable reason CA needs to make middle earth total war. Tolkien was from England, CA is based in England. Tolkien made LOTR so England could have its own fantasy [like the Norse epics]. Therefore , out of sheer duty and patriotism, CA must know make the video game for England. Or else CA have no right to be called Brits

That's just nonsense. 50 shades of grey is also written by a Brit, doesn't mean it needs to be made in to a game for the company to view themselves as Brits.

"Christopher Tolkien, son and literary heir of J.R.R. Tolkien, resigned from the Tolkien Estate. And his departure changes everything.....With Christopher’s departure as an officer of the Tolkien Estate (which was incorporated in 2011), the long-awaited “rights frenzy” for Tolkien properties may soon begin,”

Christopher Tolkien has retired and the rights of the Tolkien estate are up for grabs. Perfect time for CA to make a Lord of the Rings total war. Or, to work with Warner Bros to make a LOTR total war. They have worked together before.

Which is old news, there's been no rush on the rights and it seems to have gone the other way in them being even more restricted.
    edited September 23
    Commisar said:

Except it doesn't. They have very limited units and only Mordor is focused on expanding their control and developing new weapons. So the province, army and faction development ends up really limited.

And? So it has a large base, means nothing. Books do not equal games. I have a lot of fans of the series in my family, they refuse to watch the films and none of them have played any of the current games. It's also worth looking at the sale and player stats of other LotR games to see how they are doing, I don't see a single one in the top 100 Steam games.

- Economy and trade

Again it doesn't. Fan base means nothing for the game, as I said above.

Factions aren't that diverse, Other than the "good" and "bad" factions they end up being very similar and very limited.

Not heard of any naval battles in the series.

Not much sign of trade or much economy in the stories, not for many of the factions.

That's just nonsense. 50 shades of grey is also written by a Brit, doesn't mean it needs to be made in to a game for the company to view themselves as Brits.

Which is old news, there's been no rush on the rights and it seems to have gone the other way in them being even more restricted.

I disagree. If you have ever played third age you will see plenty of units and plenty of factions more so than any TW game I have played. And they could not even create all the units most noticeable the air force. Mordor wishes to exspand yes, as does all sauron armies such as the goblins of the misty mountains recently tried [see hobbit]. As Harad wishes to reclaim lands from Gondor, as mirkwood grows ever dark and the east units with Mordor for action. Isengard is a perfect example of aggressive expansion. Gondor of course wishes to reclaim its old lands as would the dunadin and the men of the north wish to restore its glory. And who is to say the elves would not if they thought they had a chance. We know the dwarves would as they did in the hobbit and they always are on watch for moria. The balrog could come out of hiding, the ents might march, there are many opportunists for expansions constant with lore. Rohan would seek to wipe out isengard and than help their southern brothers. I would love to use the power of galadriel and Elrond in an alliance attack the misty mountains together.

Not just mordor but Isengard is the best example of technological advancements. The seeking of the ring is the ultimate tech advance weather by Boromir or the steward of Gondor or sauron or any other. But tech can advance in building food output weapon upgrades, character development etc. There were breeding increases in the third age such as Saruman's breeding of the Uruk-haid. The hardrim domestication of the Mumakil [maybe through breeding?] in the third age. Sauron improved a breed of trolls the olog-hai over any in the first ages.

“In their beginning... the eldar days, these were creatures of dull and lampish nature and had no more language than beasts. But Sauron had made use of them, teaching them, what they could learn, and increasing their wits and wildness.” -J.R.R Tolkien Myths Transformed

There were various technological advancement as well.

“Great siege works and an explosive device invented by Saruman.”
    -Jonathan Witt and jay W Richards the hobbit party Ignatius press 2012

Dwarves of Erebor “At the height of their wealth and skill”
    -The Hobbit Inside Information

“mithcraft reached its highest development”
    -Letters 131 under second age dwarves

Siege equipment saw a big leap, Mordor created the massive battering ram Grond for the siege of minas tirith. Siege towers, catapults, ladders, ballistic were used as well and not seen in the first ages. Sauroman created some form of bomb to use at Helms Deep. Isengard also created some form of napalm and used it to kill an ent during the ents attack on the fort.

“They [Istari] belonged solely to the third age and than departed, and none save maybe Elrond, Cirdan, and Galadriel discovered of what kind they were or whence they came.”
    -UT the Istari

Saurons use of the plantir to try and control others thoughts, Gandalf the Grey to gandalf the white. The army of the dead put into action. The reforging of Anduril and the emergence of mankind uniting under Aragon who made Minas Tirith “more fair that it had ever been, even in the days of its first glory.” The nazgul who it is said in of the rings of power and the third age were “the mightiest of Saurons servants” and of course the strongest of them all the witch king himself and their use of fell beats in the third age.

“They [Ringwraiths] were by far the most powerful of his servants.”
    -The hunt for the ring UT

Warg riders first appeared at the battle of the five armies.

I disagree as i think any company would as well. Look at the recent success of game of thrones, know we see games and merchandise sales since they have a large base following. I could also give the example of my brother who hates total war and like me has not bought a new one since empire, but as with me buy a LOTR total war. LOTR based games have had good sales such as LOTRO, the ea games ones etc but none have done a proper actual full LOTR campaign type game such as LOTR. That is truly the only way to judge.

You have claimed the factions are not diverse besides good vs bad, this tells me you have only ever watched the movies and even then i must disagree. It has far more diversity than any total war game yet made. Let me compare to total war games of the past. Chose one and we shall compare.

No navy, no trade? once more I cant help but think you have seen movies only. I think one should read up before making claims about a subject we are not that familiar with in the first place.

Brits, this was more alittel joke, my apologies.

How so? and if no rush, perfect, allows Sega to get it cheep.

I disagree. If you have ever played third age you will see plenty of units and plenty of factions more so than any TW game I have played. And they could not even create all the units most noticeable the air force. Mordor wishes to exspand yes, as does all sauron armies such as the goblins of the misty mountains recently tried [see hobbit]. As Harad wishes to reclaim lands from Gondor, as mirkwood grows ever dark and the east units with Mordor for action. Isengard is a perfect example of aggressive expansion. Gondor of course wishes to reclaim its old lands as would the dunadin and the men of the north wish to restore its glory. And who is to say the elves would not if they thought they had a chance. We know the dwarves would as they did in the hobbit and they always are on watch for moria. The balrog could come out of hiding, the ents might march, there are many opportunists for expansions constant with lore. Rohan would seek to wipe out isengard and than help their southern brothers. I would love to use the power of galadriel and Elrond in an alliance attack the misty mountains together.

No, I haven't tried it. I have no interest in trying it. Pretty much why I've not played any of the other LotR games, it's not LotR but what ever game they've built with LotR skins.

Not just mordor but Isengard is the best example of technological advancements. The seeking of the ring is the ultimate tech advance weather by Boromir or the steward of Gondor or sauron or any other. But tech can advance in building food output weapon upgrades, character development etc. There were breeding increases in the third age such as Saruman's breeding of the Uruk-haid. The hardrim domestication of the Mumakil [maybe through breeding?] in the third age. Sauron improved a breed of trolls the olog-hai over any in the first ages.

Which is my point, the development we see is not universal. It's for the Dark forces. Pretty sure a big part of lore for the Elves is them being generally against changes.

I disagree as i think any company would as well. Look at the recent success of game of thrones, know we see games and merchandise sales since they have a large base following. I could also give the example of my brother who hates total war and like me has not bought a new one since empire, but as with me buy a LOTR total war. LOTR based games have had good sales such as LOTRO, the ea games ones etc but none have done a proper actual full LOTR campaign type game such as LOTR. That is truly the only way to judge.

They made a good TV series yes. They have yet to make a success full game as a result. There's a few games based off them/the books but again not translated well. Watching a TV show or reading a book is very different to playing a game. Again just take a look at all the LotR games on Steam and the fact Empire TW is more popular than them.

You have claimed the factions are not diverse besides good vs bad, this tells me you have only ever watched the movies and even then i must disagree. It has far more diversity than any total war game yet made. Let me compare to total war games of the past. Chose one and we shall compare.

They are still limited. Same issue with R2 and Attila. Sure they have a new name and look but they generally end up working the same which leads to the issues. Very few of the factions have those big show boats, with most of them being dark forces. Sure you have more named characters on the Heroic sides but still not the same.

No navy, no trade? once more I cant help but think you have seen movies only. I think one should read up before making claims about a subject we are not that familiar with in the first place.

No, I've only read the Hobbit so far, but I did use a search of the battles from LotR and none of them listed naval battles. Considering we didn't get naval battles in 3K, which we know had a few naval combats and fleets were important in their river control...doesn't seem good for LotR. Very much so with most of it being landlocked.

If it's cheap, why isn't it being handed out to everyone? There's no rush because those big titles that wanted it already got it and the rest are priced out.
    Commisar said:

No, I haven't tried it. I have no interest in trying it. Pretty much why I've not played any of the other LotR games, it's not LotR but what ever game they've built with LotR skins.

Which is my point, the development we see is not universal. It's for the Dark forces. Pretty sure a big part of lore for the Elves is them being generally against changes.

They made a good TV series yes. They have yet to make a success full game as a result. There's a few games based off them/the books but again not translated well. Watching a TV show or reading a book is very different to playing a game. Again just take a look at all the LotR games on Steam and the fact Empire TW is more popular than them.

They are still limited. Same issue with R2 and Attila. Sure they have a new name and look but they generally end up working the same which leads to the issues. Very few of the factions have those big show boats, with most of them being dark forces. Sure you have more named characters on the Heroic sides but still not the same.

No, I've only read the Hobbit so far, but I did use a search of the battles from LotR and none of them listed naval battles. Considering we didn't get naval battles in 3K, which we know had a few naval combats and fleets were important in their river control...doesn't seem good for LotR. Very much so with most of it being landlocked.

If it's cheap, why isn't it being handed out to everyone? There's no rush because those big titles that wanted it already got it and the rest are priced out.

Seems to make my point. No real LOTR lore in depth game has yet been made. They are skins to look LOTR but not really a LOTR game. Tw could do this and be the first. But third age does as well [better] than any at it and they do have a large diversity of lore accurate factions and units, diversity is not lacking was my point.

I gave multiple advances from the "good" factions did i not. Give me time let me make the game I shall have more. True elves are against change, but not upgrades. Again third age is a great example of the kinds of upgrades even elves can make. All the same as a normal TW game such as trade, roads, farming, equipment, culture, morale etc etc plus other elf specific maybe Galadriel mirror or other such increases like wisdom.

“Indeed in their earlier days death came more readily ; for their bodies were the less different from the bodies of men, and the command of their spirits over their bodies less complete.”
    -MR laws and customs of the eldar

“Elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned and invented their magic and their cunning craft.”
    -The Hobbit Flies and Spiders

“Galadriel was the greatest of the noldor, except Fenor maybe , though she was wiser than he, and her wisdom increased with the long years.”
    -Unfinished Tales

But that is my point, no LOTR game has been made like the books/movies, they are as you said skins. RPG's or RPS FPS MMO etc, none like a Total war. I would also add they have had great success with battle for middle earth and LOTROnline. Add that to TW fanbase and make a real LOTR, gold.

Agreed, they are limited, as is any game ever made. Their is not an endless diversity but more diversity than any TW game ever made [maybe not warhammer] and a great positive and perfect fit for a grand scale TW game.

Agreed LOTR is landlocked for the most part, but yes their is navy. Elves had ships, Gondor, Pirates, Harad [I think Mordor] but I do agree it would not be a major force. Of course who says it cannot be? what if harad invested in navy and invaded Rohan? or the elves sent help to Gondor via ships from the grey havens? There is a whole long coast that could be used as well as vital rivers between Gondor mordor and rohan. I suggest reading LOTR a great book that will leave you asking, why did jackson leave that out? also later the sillmarillion.

Allot of small companies have various rights. I only hope CA gets in on it.