Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What game characters models do really like and dislike?

Comments

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,910
    edited September 2019

Judging by how Witch Elves look I were afraid Morathi will end up like this

How dare they put muscles on the warrior women! Everyone knows that people who spend their whole lives fighting should have the muscle mass of a stick insect

Age of Reckoning for comparison

Yes, as I have said in the other thread: Witch Elves of TW look like adolescent boys in make-up.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

• kelembriborkelembribor Registered Users Posts: 769
    I really like Morathi's appearance, reminds me of one of the characters in Witcher 3.

High Elven characters are generally well detailed
    Thirdeye said:

Alith Anar - hate the voice acting. Voice don’t fit the charactor. Needs something deeper, darker, older. Oh he needs white hair too.

I cant really hold that against designers, they made in game character based on his official model.

What Alith Anar really is , it is left vague. He could be same person as the time of Sundering a wraith with search for vengeance, or he could be different person maintaining the legend, chosen when the previous one dies. (like comic The Phantom)

Latter is more probable considering Nagarythe uses guerrilla and terror tactics to fight Druchii, and there are several similar moments in the novel about him.

Personally I mostly don't like Vlad's appearance, mostly his face and little sword, though there are mods trying to remedy that most known is Marthenil's reskin , I myself tried to make him closer to miniature in my personal mod.

• Deep_echo_soundDeep_echo_sound Registered Users Posts: 601
    edited September 2019
    dge1 said:

Folks, the OP's topic for discussion started out well enough. Subsequent posts and OP response comments, however; have muddied the waters somewhat.

Going to leave the conversation open for now, as long as long as the posted comments are within the original OP topic. If it drifts off into a series of posts on female presentation the the thread will be close, with prejudice.

Well. Please, state is clear that you, forum moderators are, supporting sexism and discrimination against me, for example.
    Because, I just discuss what I do not like in the product. And, yes, for me every female model in the game must be pretty or better. This is "eye candy". If I want something to be beautiful, that must be beautiful. Car models or female models, I do not care. That is in-game content. It must be likable.

And the worst part. I see you do not banning or deleting direct personal insults from some users.
    Can we have reality check? If, someone talk like that, face-to-face, to me or some part of other males, what would be the consciences?

To put it very directly. I am talking about game. Many users talking about me or some imaginary "incels", "misogynists", etc. So, who is freaking derailing topic?
    If this sh*t is normal here, I am off. And that is your problem with forum.
    Because, I see some people here that like to go very offensively personal in their discussing of the game.
    What's wrong with you? I mean you, rule keepers and C.A., may be?
    Are you infested with that crap that man can not desire to see beautiful women?
    State it clear, because, forum infested with some mad sex-negative, nature-negative sexists people - is a sad place.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,788
    A large part of the expectation of physical form, masculine and feminine in high fantasy, comes from preexisting interpretations. What we perceive as being normal for that specific archetype.

When I say Barbarian, Conan will probably quickly come to mind. Large muscle bound, and in the context of TWW we see the Norscans. All of whom conform to this standard.

When I say Wizard, top hat wearing elderly robed mages quickly come to mind. Again, in the context of the TWW we do in fact see this. Even among differing species the general perception holds true.

When I say Elf, slender, lithe, and elegant quickly rush to the mind. It's built into the idea of an Elf, same as being short and bearded for Dwarfs. Specifically in the context of Warhammer, beauty is a considered factor for the Elves. Especially for Morathi and Hellebrone. And in TWW, we don't quite see this. The models, less so on the male side of things, tend to venture less into the idea of the sexy ideal we correlate to what an elf is in literally every other medium. It's why this conversation keeps getting brought up. We've grown used to the idea of the sexy elf, male and female.

Having said that, it doesn't mean we can't branch off to create other interpretations of that visualization. Just because most elves look like Sylvanus doesn't mean they all need to. Make it what you want. But I will say that I personally think CA missed the mark on this one as well. If only because what they made was not theirs to begin with, and I do not think they did justice to the source.

It's also important to remember that making visually attractive characters is not the same as objectification of those characters. Once again, see Sylvanus. Her earlier interpretations being extremely sexual, but I'd argue she's anything but just another set of T&A to the setting of Warcraft. She looks attractive and is still one of the most respected characters of the setting. So maybe the argument CA could have done more for the Dark Elves holds some merit, depending on how you interpreted the setting in the first place. There's always a balancing act to play.
  • BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 908

How dare they put muscles on the warrior women! Everyone knows that people who spend their whole lives fighting should have the muscle mass of a stick insect

Yes, as I have said in the other thread: Witch Elves of TW look like adolescent boys in make-up.
    But these girls do not look like they can kill anything, while Total War: Warhammer depiction of Witch Elves and Sisters of Slaughter look like real killers. You need to remember that real athletic bodies are not that slim and curvy as in Age of reckoning.

It pleased my eyes immensly to look at my armies during Har Ganeth campaign - swarm host of angry women revelling in bloodshed and slaughter. I did not want girly sexy Cult of Khaine, I wanted BLOOD AND SLAUGHTER. And that was delivered.

I also like Morathi model, she looks like a beautiful mature woman, I think that making her model more sexualised would be distasteful, while current model shows her regal status as mother of all Dark Elves and creator of Dhar magic.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,410
    Bereaver said:

But these girls do not look like they can kill anything, while Total War: Warhammer depiction of Witch Elves and Sisters of Slaughter look like real killers. You need to remember that real athletic bodies are not that slim and curvy as in Age of reckoning.

It pleased my eyes immensly to look at my armies during Har Ganeth campaign - swarm host of angry women revelling in bloodshed and slaughter. I did not want girly sexy Cult of Khaine, I wanted BLOOD AND SLAUGHTER. And that was delivered.

I also like Morathi model, she looks like a beautiful mature woman, I think that making her model more sexualised would be distasteful, while current model shows her regal status as mother of all Dark Elves and creator of Dhar magic.
    So basically cut half of Morathi character out just cause some people find it distasteful?

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.

Bereaver said:

So basically cut half of Morathi character out just cause some people find it distasteful?

Which half of Morathi's character has been cut out of the game? I find her beautiful! Well, except this Dhar corruption of her feet and hands, but I suppose that her Enchanting Beauty Aura conceals it from other mortals.
    edited September 2019
    Bereaver said:

Bereaver said:

Which half of Morathi's character has been cut out of the game? I find her beatiful! Well, except this Dhar corruption of her feet and hands, but I suppose that her Enchanting Beauty Aura conceals it from other mortals.
    Her youthfulnes and her being a sedictress . Big reason why Hellebron hates her guts is she keeps her youthful looks while she can't
    Post edited by HisShadowBG on

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 15,451
    Malekith's hat is weird. I've never liked it.

Also, a reminder that we'll be watching this one.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,632
    Age of reckoning did such a good job portraying elves, I really wish CA had just copied their designs.

Same with green skins.

In fact damn near everything.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,910
    Bereaver said:

Looks are deceiving. TW:WH WE look like real boys with those narrow hips and overly pronounced muscles, not to mention faces, that's for sure. I have seen plenty of slim and curvy athletes, not that it matters considering it's a fantasy setting.

Distasteful? That's how she is meant to be.

Age of reckoning did such a good job portraying elves, I really wish CA had just copied their designs.

Same with green skins.

In fact damn near everything.

It really did.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

• AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 3,152
    Not a fan of the Bretonnian Knights Errant with those pigface helmets. The should be mostly helmetless with uncovered hair as per lore and their TT models.

Damels should also get a rework. Kind of lore breaking to have them look like old hags. At least they need to look younger than Prophetesses... At the moment the Prophetesses look like women in their 40s-50s, While the Damsels look like they're in their 60s-70s...

Needs to be: Damsels = 20s to 30s and Prophetesses = 40s-50s

Prophetesses models at fine just give them fur cloaks so they look more regal/authoritative.

Damsels need to look more like this
    Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 29,795

Look at female UFC fighters. Quite a few are long and lean. Obviously there's some variance with some women being stockier and more muscular. With the men long and lean tends to be the norm. Lean muscles work really well in fighting because you can repeat the same actions over and over again. Big muscles tire out faster. While I'd like them to have more mass on them I'm happy to give them a pass because they're Fantasy Elves.

Myself I find the whole "bikini warriors" deal off putting. We all know why they were designed that way. In a similar way it's telling how much criticism of their looks that the female characters get relative to the males. Criticism of female characters looks is common, but males? Not so much.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

• NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 12,330
    I really dislike Alith Anar, his voice does not suit him at all imo and his model should've been closer to this artwork.

When I look at this artwork I really see the Shadow King, he is often described like some sort of ghost IIRC and this look fits that theme perfectly.
    #JusticeForTzeentch
    #JusticeForMonogods

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,232
    the most awful model in the game is bretonia damsel, they look like an old woman dressing up for medieval cosplay festival.

Best model....all the goblin units and lords they have awesome designs.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,788
    See everyone hates on Alith Anar, and I'm over here like....the hell man. Hate how Dylan pronounces various elven names, including Alith Anar, but his direct and focused way of speaking works perfectly for the character. Also his model does have way too large a head, but otherwise is fantastic. I don't hate it, not especially next to Teclis.
  • JRCBurgessJRCBurgess Registered Users Posts: 24
    edited September 2019
    Many of my likes and dislikes relate to the original tabletop model.

For example, I always liked the Morathi model, so I find the game one a bit of a disappointment. Not because of the edited nudity- while I like the sexual decadence and exhibitionism of the tabletop model, I understand that censorship might be needed for a video game- but more the generic halberd. Old Heartrender really looked like some messed-up heart plucking tool. The tone was so on point (no pun). The video game halberd was a cop-out.

Another example of old models not being implemented as I might want can be seen with Kemmler. He and his model are iconic and historically a milestone to the whole Warhammer world. And his model has pretty much stood the test of time. Therefore I don't like how scrawny the video game has the model by comparison. The tabletop model is famous for it's square stance and iconic details. Sword over censor-skull I can maybe see from an animation point of view. But generally, I wish the model were more impressive and 'billowy' to create that square shape GW fans have been seeing for decades, possibly before many of us here were born!

Sometimes however, the total opposite can be true. As a long term Warhammer fan, I sometimes bemoan the inclusion of certain tabletop models (sometimes actual units, sometimes just certain edition's interpretation of units) in the game. The most obvious example to my mind- the infamously sneaky and subtle Mannfred von Carstein being turned into a mildly bat-themed Chaos Lord Gym Bro. The old model was flawed certainly, but was so much better than 'roided out Nosferatu. That whole edition of the Vampire Counts was renowned for it's ugly models (only Konrad didn't suck, and only because the character was as mental and OTT as the model they made for him), but Mannfred was especially egregious.

Other disappointing models of note (*in my opinion);

Vlad looks like a character from the Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (YouTube it). That guy doesn't drink blood, he drinks bottles of White Lightning on park benches, but he'll buy you a pack of fags if you get him some Special Brew...

All vampires; Hey GW, just because one not very good anime pulled off the whole 'vampire with white hair' trope, doesn't mean you can't mix it up a bit.

Orion; should look like a scary hunter. Agile and nimble and vicious. Not the guy in Weatherspoons who looks for any excuse to start a fight just to impess his girlfri- OH ****, THATS EXACTLY ARIEL AND ORION'S RELATIONSHIP!

I always liked the froggy looking Slann over the toad-looking ones. I always had the image that they never moved, except for involuntary actions. For example, their throats regularly bulged and deflated in a 'ribbit'ing motion, but otherwise they only moved to cast a spell, which was just a slow blink, or single finger movement. Really make them alien and detached.

Luthor Harkon is perfect. 'Nuff said.😉

neodeinos said:

I really dislike Alith Anar, his voice does not suit him at all imo and his model should've been closer to this artwork.

When I look at this artwork I really see the Shadow King, he is often described like some sort of ghost IIRC and this look fits that theme perfectly.

This artwork is not what Alith Anar actually is, that is a misstep of the author. His current depiction in game is what his model always looked like in Tabletop, having black hair like any real elf from Nagarythe should.

You should read a book about him. Alith Anar was a whiny bitchy angsty teenager when he became The Shadow King. Dylan Spouse's voice is perfect for the young vengeful elf person.

After that Alith Anar got old, yes, but he obviously prolonged his life unnaturally without using Dhar Magic like Morathi or Malekith and thus escaped negative effects associated. He is not a wight. Actually, he stayed young forever and that's why he is still young in voice.

Alith Anar has a lot in common with Kelebrimbor from Shadows of Mordor of series - he may seem like an ancient wise regal being, but in truth he is a whiny insane killer.

I like the Alith Anar like he is, I think that he is a great character. Dylan Spouse did a great job, I love listening to his voice in-game.
    Bereaver said:

neodeinos said:

This artwork is not what Alith Anar actually is, that is a misstep of the author. His current depiction in game is what his model always looked like in Tabletop, having black hair like any real elf from Nagarythe should.

You should read a book about him. Alith Anar was a whiny bitchy angsty teenager when he became The Shadow King. Dylan Spouse's voice is perfect for the young vengeful elf person.

Alith Anar as an angsty teenager. Why on God’s green earth would anyone want to read about that?
    edited September 2019

Bereaver said:

neodeinos said:

Alith Anar as an angsty teenager. Why on God’s green earth would anyone want to read about that?
    To know what fanbase's real expectations about the character should be. Same goes for Vlad and Vampire Wars. I'm so tired to read that "VLAD THE DAD IS MUH BEST ELECTOR COUNT EVER, HE Is THE KINDEST AND MOST GENEROUS RULER IN THE WORLD".
    Back to the topci - Vlad's model is the one that should be fixed from no-nose to bat-nose, he is looking too much like a zombie right now. Alith Anar needs head-deflating operation ASAP.
    Bereaver said:

neodeinos said:

After that Alith Anar got old, yes, but he obviously prolonged his life unnaturally without using Dhar Magic like Morathi or Malekith and thus escaped negative effects associated. He is not a wight. Actually, he stayed young forever and that's why he is still young in voice.

Alith Anar has a lot in common with Kelebrimbor from Shadows of Mordor of series - he may seem like an ancient wise regal being, but in truth he is a whiny insane killer.

I like the Alith Anar like he is, I think that he is a great character. Dylan Spouse did a great job, I love listening to his voice in-game.
    Oh I know his Table top model I just always felt like this artwork was the best fitting for him regardless of the lore. I enjoy his actual model but in this artwork he's way better imo, it's just a personnal preference.
    #JusticeForTzeentch
    #JusticeForMonogods

• theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,192

Look at female UFC fighters. Quite a few are long and lean. Obviously there's some variance with some women being stockier and more muscular. With the men long and lean tends to be the norm. Lean muscles work really well in fighting because you can repeat the same actions over and over again. Big muscles tire out faster. While I'd like them to have more mass on them I'm happy to give them a pass because they're Fantasy Elves.

Myself I find the whole "bikini warriors" deal off putting. We all know why they were designed that way. In a similar way it's telling how much criticism of their looks that the female characters get relative to the males. Criticism of female characters looks is common, but males? Not so much.
    Which is a really good point that will go right over the heads of the sex-pot crowd. Look at Valentina Shevchenko. Probably the best female fighter in the world. Narrow hips. Outside a couple of fighters, nearly every female.UFC fighter doesn't have a classically "sexy" body. That's want you naturally get when you lower fat.
  • WarfieldWarfield Registered Users Posts: 449
    Dwarf: I like most models, but a few could be better.

Dislike:
    Thorgrim Grudgebearer
    CA cheaped out by re-using longbeard models for Thorgrim's Thronebearers. They should be redone at some point.

Rulelord's Anvil of Doom
    Again, CA reused a good deal of Thorgrim's Throne of Power. I prefer the previous table top model with the Anvil on wheels and proper-looking Anvil Guards.

Ironbreakers
    Not enough variety with their helmets. They also should have been given hammers in addition to axes.

Miners
    They look just like warriors, but with candles on their helmets. I would have liked to see a bit more of a difference in how these models look compared to warriors.

Rangers
    Why do they have white beards? Did CA forget to add the textures? I could see Ol'Deadeyes getting white/grey beards, but not regular rangers. I mean their beards are PURE WHITE. Seems like a bug.

Warfield Undermountain
    Dwarf Lord of Stone and Steel
    LINK: Dwarf Engineering DLC

!! FIX THOREK !!
    1. Klad Brakak needs to be selectable in MP/Custom battles.
    2. Anvil Guards need to be modeled in game and also be an option in MP/Custom battles.
  • Deep_echo_soundDeep_echo_sound Registered Users Posts: 601
    Yes, this is not "warhammer", but games was totally fine with beauty and open sexuality in PS2 and so era.

For example this.

Made by western studio with headquarters in California, United States. And game is about shooting undead.

And, I think, almost everyone knows of games like "Bloodrayne". It's design in characters, sex-related sounds, poses, etc.
    What then happened to many western studious? And these insulting... Users here, that get too personal.

Once more. Moderators will ignore moronic personal insults here? And in other topics.
    Just state it.
    edited September 2019
    Del double post
    Post edited by HisShadowBG on

Yes, this is not "warhammer", but games was totally fine with beauty and open sexuality in PS2 and so era.

For example this.

Made by western studio with headquarters in California, United States. And game is about shooting undead.

And, I think, almost everyone knows of games like "Bloodrayne". It's design in characters, sex-related sounds, poses, etc.
    What then happened to many western studious? And these insulting... Users here, that get too personal.

Once more. Moderators will ignore moronic personal insults here? And in other topics.
    Just state it.

*Eyeroll*

You done bro? Thank God real women don't look like that that top one is gross.
  • LolTHELolLolTHELol Registered Users Posts: 1,103
    I do not like how Vampire Count Bloodline lords look very generic and compared to what some modder could do.

Plus I hate the fact they are triplets, all three looking exactly the same. It is just lazy on CAs part.

For example this.

Just state it.

*Eyeroll*

We can see her boobs this is gross and sexist !!!!!!!
    #JusticeForTzeentch
    #JusticeForMonogods

neodeinos said:

For example this.

Just state it.

*Eyeroll*

We can see her boobs this is gross and sexist !!!!!!!
    No... That's they're abnormal. Women don't have boobs like that naturally.
    Bereaver said:

Bereaver said:

neodeinos said:

To know what fanbase's real expectations about the character should be. Same goes for Vlad and Vampire Wars. I'm so tired to read that "VLAD THE DAD IS MUH BEST ELECTOR COUNT EVER, HE Is THE KINDEST AND MOST GENEROUS RULER IN THE WORLD".
    Back to the topci - Vlad's model is the one that should be fixed from no-nose to bat-nose, he is looking too much like a zombie right now. Alith Anar needs head-deflating operation ASAP.
    You don’t need to read black library trash to understand what the characters are about, the army book descriptions are and should be more than enough to figure out what the character is about.

There is no reason for the effing Shadow King to sound like a moody 20 something (no offense to all the moody 20 somethings out there, we were all you once)

Alith Anar and his boys are one of the few things in the world the dark elves actually fear. They are battle hardened and grizzled, stone cold killers.

The voice acting couldn’t have been more poorly suited