Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A

10101010 Registered Users Posts: 246
edited January 11 in General Discussion
A
Post edited by 1010 on

Comments

• neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 5,189
    White Lions.
  • beegee84beegee84 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 273
    The flying bombers that vampirates have
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,420
    It used to be Pistoliers. Only because I really like their concept and models yet they were utter garbage. These days they aren’t that bad.

So I’ll go for Demigryph Knights. Because they cheapen Gryphons and feel more like Age of Sigmar Stormcast Eternals than they do Warhammer Fantasy Battles Empire. They feel so incredibly out of place. Though I have used them it has been a rare thing indeed.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • yx3768031yx3768031 Registered Users Posts: 162
    Razordon, for the price of an outrider u get a skaven slinger level unit in case of range fire.
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Registered Users Posts: 1,227
    Marauders are nice
  • GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 4,205
    Why are the only units on your list low-tier ones? Just because they are cheap and early-game doesn't make them bad. It would be one thing if you meant performance-wise (though certainly not cost-effectiveness wise as cheap units tend to be very efficient) but you seem to suggest that just because they have poor stats they should be disliked?
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,002
    Gyrobombers

You get them late and they do little and the bombing interface is horrible
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 7,754
    Feral dread Saurian
    I mean why not simply recruit the better version? 😂
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 3,688
    Unshielded Spearmen

Utterly redundant. The additional melee defense makes shields always worth it campaign or multiplayer. The shielded variant is only worth it over Halberds when missile dominance is a problem, something the Empire has a problem with only half the time. There are few units which almost never see use and these are one of them.
  • innerpinnerp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 647
    miners, thats an autodisband unit
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 1,951
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 5,189

Unshielded Spearmen

Utterly redundant. The additional melee defense makes shields always worth it campaign or multiplayer. The shielded variant is only worth it over Halberds when missile dominance is a problem, something the Empire has a problem with only half the time. There are few units which almost never see use and these are one of them.

Unshielded spearmen should have more WS to make them useful.
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 522
    The fact that you have Skinks on that list drives me crazy. They are easily the most versatile infantry unit in the game. They're capable of standing toe to toe with most other low tier infantry but crucially they are the fastest infantry unit in the game meaning they can chase down routers with ease.

Lesst favorite has to be regular miners. I cant ever seem to make them useful. Miners with blasting charges are a different story though.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Registered Users Posts: 1,003
    White lions of Chrace. Absolutely useless. They're very squishy for a mid tier unit. They're supposed to be on par with chaos warriors with great weapons but they're not even close.

The fact that they make a big part of the high elves garrison makes me dislike them even more.
  • GrantdemGrantdem Member Registered Users Posts: 121
    Miners are OK in early campaign as you can use them to break down gates.

Unshielded Silver Helms are particularly useless, and they are the same tier as shielded.

Generally unshielded units are pretty redundant.
  • 10101010 Registered Users Posts: 246
    No Shields are good against VCounts
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 2,003
    edited September 2019
    Demigryph Knights (especially lances) or the TK lazer-eye giant or sphinx-y thing. The game, and the lore, would be better without their existence IMO. Or the necrofex colossus. That too.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 2,438

Demigryph Knights (especially lances) or the TK lazer-eye giant or sphinx-y thing. The game, and the lore, would be better without their existence IMO. Or the necrofex colossus. That too.

How would it be better?
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 3,741

...the hell?
  • NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,872

I can understand Demigryph knights being something I wouldn't lament seeing gone (Especially for more varied Knightly Orders)...

But the rest fit well with the style and grandeur of their respective races. Tomb Kings are not the type you'd go "Statues? Fancy magic?! That doesn't fit you guys at all!" :P.

Necrofex Colossus is a pain when spammed pretty hard by the AI (Recently fought an almost wiped out VCoast spamming 17 at me from 1 city). Still, I like its lore and the model is easily among my favourites in the game.
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,213
    edited September 2019
    These are all terrible units, but I use them all except peasants, so I guess by elimination its them.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 2,003
    Amonkhet said:

How would it be better?

...the hell?
    Nemox said:

I can understand Demigryph knights being something I wouldn't lament seeing gone (Especially for more varied Knightly Orders)...
    Especially with Tomb Kings, their 6th edition army book was focused very much on massed ranks of chariots, skeleton warrior and archers, supplemented by the occasional bone giant or scorpion. I was a big fan of that, but not a fan of all the monsters that got thrown into the 7th edition (and beyond) and the various types of walking bolt throwers (ushabti and bone giants with bows).

Personal opinion - I find the level of magic that's insinuated is required for these behemoths to be beyond what the greatest elven mages and slann are supposed to be capable of in the lore. I've explained my feelings in more depth elsewhere (and don't expect everyone to agree) but a lot of those just aren't to my personal liking (the monstrous units added to nearly every faction in 7th and 8th edition TT). I love that the world has these, but the lack of rarity of giant monsters takes away their specialness IMO, and lessons the terror that should come with meeting them.

Necrofex Colossus is a particular bugbear, because it's a level of technology that the supposed gunpowder masters (Empire and Dwarves) have proven capable of: a repeater cannon mounted to a mobile giant.

Then there's the amount of unique animations that go into these units, which end up looking really awkward when in battle because it's impossible to create enough monster v monster matched animations.

Demigryphs are a unit which goes against the design of Empire consistently in the TT. The Empire was always 'jack of all trades', but when GW introduced demigryphs, they suddenly became 'masters of one'. And I didn't feel it fit. I'm a big fan of Knightly Orders and would love to see these developed further, but Empire having regular 'monsters' didn't fit the vision of them GW had built up over the years.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong to think otherwise, it's just my opinion. The OP asked what were your 'worst units' and these are the ones I'm not a fan of.

Oh, I'm reserving special levels of ire for lion chariots. GW's level of ignoring their own lore reached new heights at that point.
    Grantdem said:

Generally unshielded units are pretty redundant.

I only recruit gors without shield, but yeah tgey have two axes
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,663
    Probably not the worse, but I always found Rat Ogres extremely fragile. Like, you move the camera a second and they are already dead.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,420
    I really like all the units featured in the original post funnily enough.

@SubjectEighteen . Key to regular Miners is Grombrindal. One heck of a crutch though. But an early game stack of armour piercing, super cheap, vanguarding unit with okay stats (because of Grom’s Grimnir buff and skill line buffs) can work absolute wonders. Just don’t make the mistake of bringing the ranged Miners because they don’t get buffed by the Grimnir buff in their melee stats.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,121
    edited September 2019
    1010 said:

No Shields are good against VCounts

no worse even since they have 7 MD less and every other stat is the same
    RikRiorik said:

I really like all the units featured in the original post funnily enough.

@SubjectEighteen . Key to regular Miners is Grombrindal. One heck of a crutch though. But an early game stack of armour piercing, super cheap, vanguarding unit with okay stats (because of Grom’s Grimnir buff and skill line buffs) can work absolute wonders. Just don’t make the mistake of bringing the ranged Miners because they don’t get buffed by the Grimnir buff in their melee stats.

that should be fixed now (or CA must have considered intended) but it is no longer listed on the comunnity bug fix mod

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • ErathilErathil Registered Users Posts: 810
    I'd throw my vote for White Lions.

They're mid-tier armor-piercing infantry that get completely eclipsed by Swordmasters one tier later. They exist to fill a niche created by the game's design, and in doing so they degrade one of the most powerful and versatile units in the lore (White Lions had the exact same point cost as Phoenix Guard on the table).

I'm told that they're useful in multiplayer, but I have never had any luck with them in single player. Without shields they get torn apart by missile fire, and they just don't have the stats to trade effectively in melee.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,121
    edited September 2019
    double post delete please

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)

Oh, I'm reserving special levels of ire for lion chariots. GW's level of ignoring their own lore reached new heights at that point.

Why?
    The lore behind that with the binding scrolls seems legit:
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/War_Lions
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,537
    Gorebeast chariots never tickle me, they're too sluggish.
    Don't worry.