Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How to start modding, make lua scripts?

MickiednMickiedn Posts: 3Registered Users
Goodevening,

I'm Miguel and i am a bit fascinated by some modders in the modding community of total war warhammer 2.

Like Shaky rivers, flamboyant schemer, drunkflamingo and ofcourse Venris.

I noticed shaky and schemer talking about using lua mods, since their mods only add things and don't change tables.
It sounds the most easy.

I have my own ideas i would like to implement into the game through a mod.
But i have no idea how to start modding, how those commands work.

So i am looking for a guide, maybe a specific one.

Because, when searching for guides, i find start pos guides, assembly kit guide, or a message that states 'This guide assumes you understand the basics of Total War modding and are looking to delve into scripting.'
Which... i don't...

Can anybody help me direct to the right place, where modders start?

Anyway, thank you :)

Comments

• kelembriborkelembribor Posts: 429Registered Users
    Maybe this has some useful links

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702343155

Myself I focus on modding appearance of units mostly so this guide helped me most:

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?656454-Sebidee-s-Complete-Guide-to-Unit-Creation

There are thriving communities of modders on some discords, Cataph and Sfo come to mind, links are on their Steam Workshop pages or Patreon , though there might be others.

Opening mods with mod editor and studying how they created certain effects is also useful.

• steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 1,040Registered Users
    The first question is "what do you want to change?"

Startpos editing, texture editing, db editing, lua scripting are used to do different things.

it's hard to point you to the right path if we don't knwo where you want to go

• MickiednMickiedn Posts: 3Registered Users
    To answer Steph74, i want to add something to the campaign of total War warhammer 2.

A few things:
    - if the last vampire city is lost, 3 vampire armies spawn (1 to your nearest settlement of that last lost vampire city, 2 near the last lost vampire city to take it back). A sort of final counter attack.
    - the skaven wars. At certain starts of turns, add +1 skaven corruption to all settlements (like around turn 100 with chaos)
    also spawnings of vampire assassin units on later turns (like with chaos) and spawnings of skaven armies at later turns at specific villages (lore friendly)
    - later on i would like to add events, similiar as skaven wars, but lore friendly of the vampire wars.

An other idea is to add something late game event, similiar to total war three kingdoms, not lore friendly:
    - when chaos is defeated and you are in the top 3, the top 3 factions are chosen as emperors of the world. All diplomatic relations end with those other 2. You get a lot of negative diplomatic relation points with them, till the point a war decleration is the only option.emperor
    Their city, furthest of you will be chosen as their capital. You must conquere it.
    When you conquere one of them, you get some bonuses, but the last factions also gets bonuses.
    Like increased % of trade, +1 for recruits, ...
    When you have taken 1 of the 2 capitals of the 2 proclaimed emperors, all the other factions, that you are not friendly with, declare war on you and side with the last one.
    Something in those lines.

It's to give some mid game and late game events :)
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 1,040Registered Users
    I cannot guarantee it would all work but:
    Mickiedn said:

- if the last vampire city is lost, 3 vampire armies spawn (1 to your nearest settlement of that last lost vampire city, 2 near the last lost vampire city to take it back). A sort of final counter attack.

This would be lua scrupting, no need of db. Spawning army is "easy". Finding the right conditions, and where to swpan the army is harder.
    Mickiedn said:

- the skaven wars. At certain starts of turns, add +1 skaven corruption to all settlements (like around turn 100 with chaos)
    also spawnings of vampire assassin units on later turns (like with chaos) and spawnings of skaven armies at later turns at specific villages (lore friendly)
    - later on i would like to add events, similiar as skaven wars, but lore friendly of the vampire wars.

This should work with lua, not really needed to edit db or startpos if you just use existing units.
    Mickiedn said:

An other idea is to add something late game event, similiar to total war three kingdoms, not lore friendly:
    - when chaos is defeated and you are in the top 3, the top 3 factions are chosen as emperors of the world. All diplomatic relations end with those other 2. You get a lot of negative diplomatic relation points with them, till the point a war decleration is the only option.emperor

Changing diplomacy relations, and blocking diplo relations should problaby work with lua. Finding the "top 3" maybe harder.
    Mickiedn said:

Their city, furthest of you will be chosen as their capital. You must conquere it.
    When you conquere one of them, you get some bonuses, but the last factions also gets bonuses.
    Like increased % of trade, +1 for recruits, ...
    When you have taken 1 of the 2 capitals of the 2 proclaimed emperors, all the other factions, that you are not friendly with, declare war on you and side with the last one.
    Something in those lines.

It's to give some mid game and late game events :)

I suppose this could also be bone with lua, although a bit complex and not very easy.

To get started with lua, I suggest you read this:

https://chadvandy.github.io/tw_modding_resources/index.html

• MickiednMickiedn Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thank you Steph, i will try and reading this :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file