Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Does anybody use it?

DarkLordOfDarknessDarkLordOfDarkness Registered Users Posts: 242
So, does anybody use the option to use and shoot war machines (catapults, canons etc)? Many people probably don't even know, but when you have your artillery selected and click the unit camera (right bottom corner) you can target and shoot yourself!

But, I find it to be pretty much a mechanic which just wasted dev resources. I used it maybe a few time just for funsies but found that in more serious battles you need to focus on melee units.
Also fun fact: arty reloads quicker when you use it.
So, does anybody still remember it's there and use it really?

Comments

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,348
    I don’t think I’ve ever used it. Did know it was there though but only because I saw a mate use it before I got the game. Otherwise I’d probably have been unaware.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • RifugioRifugio Member Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    I don't think I've ever used it. I kept meaning to try it out and finally forgot about it.
    Now I'm curious, does it work with warp lighting cannons?

It's a bit of fun, and an additional feature you can choose to use or forget, so I wouldn't classify it as a waste of dev resources.
  • Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Registered Users Posts: 1,703
    I dun use it too (play it like less than 5 times). IIRC it gives you extra shoot too. By the way, older total war games have this feature iirc.
  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Registered Users Posts: 912
    How are these wasted ressources if its just something that already was in the engine? It's not that they put a lot of effort into developing it, they just kept it. And yes I only used for fun a couple of time.
  • DarkLordOfDarknessDarkLordOfDarkness Registered Users Posts: 242
    Disclaimer: In no way was I trying to hate on this feature. I wholeheartedly love this game and am extremly grateful to CA for getting me into world of warhammer. It was just an opinion, maybe I used a bit of wrong wording here
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 2,894
    yeah i use it some times to cheese the AI in sieges.

I use the command to shoot at ground more though to circumvent obstruction bugs
    Like ordering your artillery to shoot at an enemy where there is seemingly no obstructions like terrain yet it just stand there looking stupid not firing....
  • SagrandaSagranda Registered Users Posts: 1,659
    It's great for Hellcannons and the Doomdiver once you get the hang of it.
    You get:
    Higher accuracy and therefor deal more damage (which is especially handy with the Hellcannon).
    Faster firing rate through faster reload (IIRC).

Which is awesome with that kind of artillery.

Also, it's fun. Even more so with the Doomdiver Catapult than with the Hellcannon.

The problem for me is mostly that I lose the battlefield overview. So I only used it in certain circumstances as long as those allowed it.

I tried it with all the other artillery units too, but after a while of testing around I stopped using it for those.
    Disclaimer: What I say is my opinion and not necessarily stated as fact.
  • NariacNariac Registered Users Posts: 248
    It's handy for when your artillery bug out and just keep moving towards enemy towers instead of shooting them
  • Rochaid29Rochaid29 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,388
    Use it on a warp-lighting cannon when you have the upper ground...then tell me how many kills did you get out that.

(Very situational i know)
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,108
    I tried it a few times, I am less accurate and my army is just idle, so I stopped.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Registered Users Posts: 1,000
    I use it, especially when I have hellcannons in the army.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,007
    I use it quite a lot for certain factions and none for others. Warriors of Chaos Hellcannons are pretty fun because they curve and your army is really solid and can function well if left alone. Dwarfs can be fun as well in the initial part of a battle because they don't have much micro to do if you deployed into a decent formation. Greenskins doomdivers are also fun because they have decent range and if you can get a couple good hits it can actually change the course of the battle(takes a bit of practice to figure out how to guide them though). I think I tried it with Skaven a couple times but it felt like the range was off or something and they actually need fairly intense micro even if shooter heavy while forget about it with Empire, Elves, or Tomb Kings.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • MarkerMarker Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    Depends on the type of artillery and the map, in a big map or underground map it is very useful. small map and siege battles not so much cause u don't have much time and overview.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,411
    I use it mostly with those dwarf guns with a lot of barrels against oncoming infantry. Mad fun.
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Registered Users Posts: 695
    I've used it quite a few times, usually it's to make the artillery fire at a target it refuses to fire at. Examples:

- When the arty starts moving towards a tower instead of shooting it.

- When it is firing at the gate instead of the gatehouse (destroying the gate is fine but if you destroy the gatehouse often the parapets fall off allowing you to shoot those on top easier... AND it also kills the gate)

- Shooting enemy units I can see but the arty won't shoot at because part of them is blocked by terrain (good for shooting through destroyed gates or wall breaches)

- Sniping Lords, Heroes and or monsters who are locked in combat.

- Targeting units that are under the arty minimum range. Especially useful vs chariots and cav.

Its worth noting that I rarely use manual fire for lobbing arty (catapults, mortars etc.) As it's alot harder and usually less efficient. It's also worth noting that arty reload faster if you manually fire it.
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,366

So, does anybody use the option to use and shoot war machines (catapults, canons etc)? Many people probably don't even know, but when you have your artillery selected and click the unit camera (right bottom corner) you can target and shoot yourself!

But, I find it to be pretty much a mechanic which just wasted dev resources. I used it maybe a few time just for funsies but found that in more serious battles you need to focus on melee units.
    Also fun fact: arty reloads quicker when you use it.
    So, does anybody still remember it's there and use it really?

I do, but I wish it was just a little less clunky. Letting is completely disable shot tracking would be great. Maybe give our shot a little highlight or something if it's that big of a deal.

It has the potential to be seriously, hilariously, awesomefuly fun. It just needs a bit of tweaking that I fear it will never get.
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • OrderOfTheWhiteWolfOrderOfTheWhiteWolf Registered Users Posts: 109
    I think I’ve only used it one for the goblin skydiver artillery.

It would be a neat feature if you were allowed to have one player controller that specific artillery piece while another player controls the rest of the army.
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Registered Users Posts: 695

I think I’ve only used it one for the goblin skydiver artillery.

It would be a neat feature if you were allowed to have one player controller that specific artillery piece while another player controls the rest of the army.

You actually can do that. In co-op games you can 'gift' units to your co-op partner for the duration of the battle. To do this you select the unit/units you want to 'gift' and click the gift button under the 3d portrait (bottom left corner of the screen)

I frequently do this with my co-op partner, although we usually gift cavalry or other micro intensive units.

NOTE: you can gift units only if your partner is not participating in the battle themselves. If they have their own army/armies then they will control those units instead.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 19,355
    Completely forgot about this being a thing.

It was fun with Goblin Doom Divers.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • ZercaZerca Registered Users Posts: 74

Completely forgot about this being a thing.

It was fun with Goblin Doom Divers.

I asked myself, why CA or some modders never got the idea to make some fun mini game out of it. Maybe even in Multiplayer, looking which gob flies longer, or some kind of angry bird stuff.