Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Make Markus great again!

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 4,322Registered Users
    Amonkhet said:

Seldkam said:

Amonkhet said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

He's still going to be blocked by a shield. Most stupid change they made.

EVERYONE is blocked by shield (except Alith Anar) this change ESPECIALLY was necessary, because Markus' arrows can delete entire rows of infantry and kill multiple cav models. And he has 45! arrows! That's more than any other ranged lord in the game.
    You realise he needs this cause of where he is, right, in campain? He is forced into numerous wars early on with the early-game tough lizardmen, who get all sorts of massive bonuses, as well as his 'mechanic' is losing access to most of his roster in the early game, no real access to Elector Count mechanic and VERY infrequent supplies when they matter most.

Why does Gor-Rok get to mulch entire units of infantry in one spell, from Kroak whom he gets on turn one?
    This is frankly short sighted. By this logic lords would be solely balanced on how hard their campaign is, and not much else. Archaon would be super weak, as would malekith, tyrion, and Franz, while Markus and skarsnik are top power level, wow.
    No, normally if you have a hard start, you have at least something to help you potentially survive the early game. Skarsnik starts with an Arachnarok for example and a hero (compliments his bonuses to heroes). Or Khatep having a Necrotitan early and a Hero.

Markus has nothing, and hes ONLY strong against a type of unit won't see alot of early game.
    Fine, then give him a free RANDOM imperial reinforcements at the beginning. You don't get to choose like normal, but at least you get some units to help you out in the beginning. Changing Lord balance based on campaign starts is soooo silly
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • DeludeDelude Posts: 306Registered Users
    Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

EVERYONE is blocked by shield (except Alith Anar) this change ESPECIALLY was necessary, because Markus' arrows can delete entire rows of infantry and kill multiple cav models. And he has 45! arrows! That's more than any other ranged lord in the game.
    You realise he needs this cause of where he is, right, in campain? He is forced into numerous wars early on with the early-game tough lizardmen, who get all sorts of massive bonuses, as well as his 'mechanic' is losing access to most of his roster in the early game, no real access to Elector Count mechanic and VERY infrequent supplies when they matter most.

Why does Gor-Rok get to mulch entire units of infantry in one spell, from Kroak whom he gets on turn one?
    Monsters don't generally carry shields. If you want to kill monsters you'll run into few problems.

Also, going to war with the Lizards doesn't give you super powers. His campaign is meant to be difficult, and it still will be.

There's no reason Markus should be immune to shield block and a Gladelord or waystalker should not. Both are better archers than any human, even Markus.

And yet after these nerfs he still does more damage, has better abilities, and has more ammo. Markus is still quite strong. Relax.
    It is strange then that as Hellebron I took her fanaticism to heart and exterminated all Norscan and Chaos forces, and even attempted to maintain relations with order factions opposing them (not you, High Elves), because PRAISE KHAINE.

I enjoy both aspects of this game. Balance is important to both aspects of this game. Markus was plainly broken, and he is still very strong.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,294Registered Users
    edited October 16
    ArneSo said:

His campaign was difficult. Your only strength at start was that your Main Character, the dude you are role playing with, was a good monster sniper.

Role playing is something competitive MP fanatics will never understand.

So if he’s a basic archer now with no special monster killing skills, his whole campaign gets redundant.

OK, I'm not onboard with all the nerfs to Markus, but I played his campaign before the nerf and never had to lean on him to survive (especially when his special abilities have the tendency to bug out). It was actually the War Wagons which I used more as chariots than gun platforms that were vital to my early success.
  • zinsncabszinsncabs Posts: 673Registered Users
    The nerfs are certainly extensive, but are they excessive? Has anyone here actually played Markus post-nerf or are people simply reacting because outrage seems to be the thing to do nowadays?
    TEARS FOR THE SALT GOD !!! MODS FOR THE BUTHURT !!!
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,090Registered Users
    @zinsncabs

The main problem is, that CA always nerfs things that are actually okay, just for the sake of balance.

Balance is something that only matters for competitive MP players.

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

The main problem is, that CA always nerfs things that are actually okay, just for the sake of balance.

No, that's wrong. An imbalanced campaign is a boring campaign.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,090Registered Users
    It’s not boring when your main heroe is strong in one small niche.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Imbalanced can go both ways. Khatep and Skarsniks are kinda mislabeled at the moment, they should be named Very Hard or Legendary starts. Its possible for a campain to be too imbalanced for how difficult it is (and both these factions should have their turn 1 starting position improved).

Theres a point reached when a campain is too hard.

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

I'd be inclined to agree with @Ephraim_Dalton - balance should matter in SP. But again, is he still effective post-nerf or is he garbage now?
    edited October 16
    zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

I'd be inclined to agree with @Ephraim_Dalton - balance should matter in SP. But again, is he still effective post-nerf or is he garbage now?
    He's been nerfed by more than 50%. Practically all of his abilities and stats have been touched. Thats a massive change.
    Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

He's been nerfed by more than 50%. Practically all of his abilities and stats have been touched. Thats a massive change.
    I get that. On paper it looks excessive, hell massive even. But have you played him yet? You know, actually taken him out for a drive post-nerf? Is he still effective or is he completely worthless now? That's all I'm asking. I see a lot of outrage, but no actual testimonial from anyone saying I played him pre-nerf and he was awesome, I just played him post-nerf and now he's garbage. Not trying to be combative, just asking if he's still effective and competitive with other LLs.
    zinsncabs said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

I get that. On paper it looks excessive, hell massive even. But have you played him yet? You know, actually taken him out for a drive post-nerf? Is he still effective or is he completely worthless now? That's all I'm asking. I see a lot of outrage, but no actual testimonial from anyone saying I played him pre-nerf and he was awesome, I just played him post-nerf and now he's garbage. Not trying to be combative, just asking if he's still effective and competitive with other LLs.
    He will always be competitive, he has an AoE net and a %hp missing damage ability, those 2 abilities themselves are amazing. Doesn't matter how fast he one shots a poor foot Lord.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
    zinsncabs said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

Well his campain was kinda...bad at pre-nerf, now its worse.
    Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

Again, can't say I agree. Thanks to his buggy abilities I rarely used him as the centerpiece for battles.
    zinsncabs said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

Markus is still quite strong. He has the most ammo of any ranged lord, very high damage, stalk, vanguard, an AoE net, his abilities still do good damage: more than Alith Anar's moon bow or any of the arrow abilities, ect. Markus is still very competitive. He's only been downgraded from broken.

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

Again, can't say I agree. Thanks to his buggy abilities I rarely used him as the centerpiece for battles.
    Buggy abilities, poor starting units, losing most of the empire mechanics and roster when it counts, no access to more than one Elector count unit... now the LL is niche on top of this.

His skillines arent that great either.
    edited October 17
    Amonkhet said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

Buggy abilities, poor starting units, losing most of the empire mechanics and roster when it counts, no access to more than one Elector count unit... now the LL is niche on top of this.

Poor starting units isn't true. They're good enough to get the job done. Yes, the regular War Wagon is pretty bleh, but as I said, I used it as a chariot rather than a gun platform and it carried me through the early game. Empire Archers however are excellent both in Markus as well as the normal Empire campaign for the early game.

Amonkhet said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

Poor starting units isn't true. They're good enough to get the job done. Yes, the regular War Wagon is pretty bleh, but as I said, I used it as a chariot rather than a gun platform and it carried me through the early game. Empire Archers however are excellent both in Markus as well as the normal Empire campaign for the early game.
    Saurus just cleave right through them and on Legendary you have to take minimal losses as much as possible. Even as a Chariot, War Wagons do...ok damage, it was really Markus taking out the Bastilodon and the Lord that makes the first fight with him not end up with lost units.

It takes so long to get his good archer buffs for his archer units as well.

He should start with a unit of Halbrieders/Greatswords as well, or swap the War Wagon out for the Black Lions.
  • rafantomasrafantomas Posts: 649Registered Users
    hardest nerf ever.
    Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

Monsters don't generally carry shields. If you want to kill monsters you'll run into few problems.

Also, going to war with the Lizards doesn't give you super powers. His campaign is meant to be difficult, and it still will be.

There's no reason Markus should be immune to shield block and a Gladelord or waystalker should not. Both are better archers than any human, even Markus.

And yet after these nerfs he still does more damage, has better abilities, and has more ammo. Markus is still quite strong. Relax.
    It is strange then that as Hellebron I took her religious fanatacism to heart and exterminated all Norscan and Chaos forces, and even attempted to mantain relations with order factions opposing them (not you, High Elves), because PRAISE KHAINE.

I enjoy both aspects of this game. Balance is important to both aspects of this game. Markus was flat out broken before. He is still very strong.
  • angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Posts: 1,060Registered Users
    Seldkam said:

Amonkhet said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

This is frankly short sighted. By this logic lords would be solely balanced on how hard their campaign is, and not much else. Archaon would be super weak, as would malekith, tyrion, and Franz, while Markus and skarsnik are top power level, wow.
    ArneSo said:

His campaign was difficult. Your only strength at start was that your Main Character, the dude you are role playing with, was a good monster sniper.

So if he’s a basic archer now with no special monster killing skills, his whole campaign gets redundant.

Also this is some quality hyperbole. Markus is not going to be a basic archers with these nerfs. What basic archers has an on demand net of amyntok overcasted?
    Thats not what he is saying, he is saying that if you have a hard campaign, you need at least something to compensate for this, like a strong unit for example
    Soon
    Delude said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

It is strange then that as Hellebron I took her religious fanatacism to heart and exterminated all Norscan and Chaos forces, and even attempted to mantain relations with order factions opposing them (not you, High Elves), because PRAISE KHAINE.

I enjoy both aspects of this game. Balance is important to both aspects of this game. Markus was flat out broken before. He is still very strong.
    Hellebron gets a very good starting position, starting units of mid-tier units, and a really strong mechanic based around an easy to aquire resource and a cheaty way to get end-tier units for the cost of slaves (transfer some of the blood voyage units into your army).

Shes easy.

Seldkam said:

Amonkhet said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

ArneSo said:

Also this is some quality hyperbole. Markus is not going to be a basic archers with these nerfs. What basic archers has an on demand net of amyntok overcasted?
    Thats not what he is saying, he is saying that if you have a hard campaign, you need at least something to compensate for this, like a strong unit for example
    That's not what he said at all. Maybe that's what he meant, but NO ONE except for me has suggested giving him a starting unit that would help him with the tough start, especially not those crying about the nerf.
    Amonkhet said:

Delude said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

Delude said:

Amonkhet said:

Hellebron gets a very good starting position, starting units of mid-tier units, and a really strong mechanic based around an easy to aquire resource and a cheaty way to get end-tier units for the cost of slaves (transfer some of the blood voyage units into your army).

Shes easy.
    You missed the point of my post: I get the RP portion of SP.
  • NyumusNyumus Posts: 115Registered Users
    Delude said:

Fact is, Markus still has more damage per arrow than AA. He has more damage on abilities than AA. He has stalk and vanguard. He has AoE nets. He has 50% more ammo than any other Lord in the game.

He's still going to be very strong.

And he still loses (as he did before) tô AA in a Archer duel. But now, AA can kill large targets as good as Markus, so, his niche is now pointless. That is the point, not that he was too strong (I agree that the auto delete was insane) but they could had handled It in better ways.
    Delude said:

zinsncabs said:

Amonkhet said:

zinsncabs said:

ArneSo said:

@zinsncabs

Markus is still quite strong. He has the most ammo of any ranged lord, very high damage, stalk, vanguard, an AoE net, his abilities still do good damage: more than Alith Anar's moon bow or any of the arrow abilities, ect. Markus is still very competitive. He's only been downgraded from broken.
    @Delude - thank you. Seems like he could still be effective. I'll have to give him a try.
  • NyumusNyumus Posts: 115Registered Users
    Delude said:

Markus was the most OP thing in the game by a significant margin. Even after these nerfs he'll still be strong. Relax.

Also, I'm having a laugh at the suggestions in this thread.

"just make his abilities not target human size lords" = never take a mount vs empire, no.

"don't use your lord til Markus is engaged" Markus is very hard to catch and Empire excells at static defencive play.

"avoid Markus with your Lord" Markus has stalk. He is literally invisible.

This is called smart pick. You don't take Necrosphynx against dwarfs because they have no large units. Avoid attillery undefended when facing Bretonnia. Is a risk pick to Go Alarielle in Eagle agaisnt HE ir VCounts. It is the same as Markus. You are against Empire? You can happen tô be against Markus, pick smart.
    It is tio hard to understand that?
    Nyumus said:

Delude said:

Fact is, Markus still has more damage per arrow than AA. He has more damage on abilities than AA. He has stalk and vanguard. He has AoE nets. He has 50% more ammo than any other Lord in the game.

He's still going to be very strong.

And he still loses (as he did before) tô AA in a Archer duel. But now, AA can kill large targets as good as Markus, so, his niche is now pointless. That is the point, not that he was too strong (I agree that the auto delete was insane) but they could had handled It in better ways.
    Is this with abilities or not? Could you actually address me when I reply to you btw? Would really help.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,771Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited October 17
    Deleted 27 inappropriate, derogatory or off topic and side conversation posts. The more egregious were also given a warning.

Stay focused on the thread topic folks, not each other, especially those several members that don't like each other and have to debate whatever is said.

Thanks.
    Post edited by dge1 on
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Posts: 366Registered Users
    Bonutz619 said:

Yeah he got nerfed haaaaaaard. I get you want to avoid power creep, but you also shouldn’t nerf a lord to the point where they become practically useless.

A character with a free net spell will never be useless. He was unfair before, this nerf was deserved.