Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

is it possible after game 3 to get naval battles.

Sparkwarrior777Sparkwarrior777 Posts: 45Registered Users
i know its unlikely but seriously vampire pirates without naval battle? heck ill pay for a dlc for it. if it helps them better the game ill pay for it. naval battles, sieges, the works( unless it is grossly over priced.)

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,429Registered Users
    I'd sooner see TWW4 than naval battles. At this point it'd be at least an entire game worth of work. It's not happening.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 834Registered Users
  • xXF1aKOXxxXF1aKOXx Posts: 822Registered Users
    If they did
    island battles would be point less and waste of resources they spent

So sadly nah
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 906Registered Users
    While naval combat would be really cool, I highly doubt it will happen. From CA's own words, it sounds like way too much time, effort, and money to implement. It would be like building a brand new game from the ground up. A massive undertaking. Think of all the dozens of different races and hundreds of different unit types in the game. Now picture making ship units to accommodate each race/unit that can still play to those units strengths and weaknesses.

How would monster units work?
    How many different types of ships would each race need?
    How would CA deal with magic?
    How would shipbuilding/creating ships etc have to be restructured in the campaign map?

Not to mention that naval combat in previous total wars has been subpar at best. It would take a ton of effort for CA to get right and I just don't think they're willing to invest into it. Nor do I think Games Workshop is on board either.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,629Registered Users
    It will never happen for several reasons:
    1. They would have to add it to all factions....including all dlc-factions for game 1, 2 and 3.
    2. Some factions do not have a navy, this includes:
    - Lizardmen (they use rainbow-bridges/teleportation to cross the oceans)
    - Beastmen (the concept of a "raft" is too much already)
    - Daemons of Chaos
    - Wood Elves (they use the woldroots for transport)
    3. There are severe issues in regards to transport ships....what do you do with certain units? Chariots, Giants, Arachnaroks etc. how could they fight in a naval battle? there are so many issues to consider... how would spells work? 1 vortex per ship = instadeath?

Nah, doesn`t work, too much effort...and they would have to invent so many ships and solve too many issues...
  • Kapten_GarsKapten_Gars Posts: 37Registered Users
    Well just like Tabletop Warhammer provided a fundation for TW Warhammer the Warhammer naval game 'Man o War' could have been the fundation for the naval battles. But CA was clearly of the opinion that naval battles were not worth the effort and given how they struggled to finish Warhammer 1 as it was it was probably a wise decision.

There is also the question of wether Sega & CA were willing to pay for the licence to Man o War which has since gone to another company.

What CA could have done is return to the old system with naval units that were auto-resolve only. That would have allowed them to properly modell the naval side of the Warhammer world to at least some extent rather than simply making it yet another set of landbattles.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,493Registered Users
    Island battles are better than naval battles. Actually never played them in older games...
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 1,653Registered Users
    edited October 18
    Sure they did the island battles only to remove them later to make naval battles /s
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Posts: 776Registered Users
    I hope they will!
  • Arcani_4_EverArcani_4_Ever Junior Member Posts: 2,279Registered Users
    Highly doubt it.

CA is actually moving away from Naval Battles in general.

3 Kingdoms and the upcoming Troy game won't have Naval Battles.

True Naval Battles are not returning in quite a while.
  • RiskafishRiskafish Posts: 354Registered Users
    One work around would be to add capture zones in island battles that allow your ships to fire on the enemy. They could even limit this to black arks and VCoast ships to show their naval abilities.

• WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,917Registered Users
    If they were going to include naval battles, it would have been far more efficient to include it in the base game of Warhammer 1 and update and expand upon it with each new title and race DLC, similar to how each faction get's it's own unique architecture and siege equipment. The next best thing would be too wait for all of the races to be finally implemented and then do it all at once at the end, but that is far to much work for an endgame expansion (at least in this day and age... :/ ). Plus CA seem to have retreated from naval warfare in general, it's also missing from 3K, Thrones and likely Troy as asinine as that sounds. Sad as they were my favorite addition going from Med2 into Empire.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • nonentitynonentity Posts: 176Registered Users
    It's sad to see such great potential missing from the game. Imagine TW Empire's naval battle system but with magic and flying mounts, and sea monsters... I was so excite when Inept General made videos about naval battle systems in TWW
    One can still dream...
  • ThirdeyeThirdeye Posts: 113Registered Users
    I think highly possible, even probable. CA has already done naval, and they already do flying and magic, they just need to put it all together. In fact they already did some Warhammer test ships. Most importantly, it will sell like HOT CAKES! CA is not going to walk away form all that cash. It will start as a separate game with 4 empires/races. Others will be added. Then a version will be release as add-on to the land trilogy.
  • hhhmmmhhhmmm Posts: 5Registered Users
    Personally I am hoping it won't happen. Island battles are working really well, and naval battles were super annoying in previous titles.
    Thirdeye said:

I think highly possible, even probable. CA has already done naval, and they already do flying and magic, they just need to put it all together. In fact they already did some Warhammer test ships. Most importantly, it will sell like HOT CAKES! CA is not going to walk away form all that cash. It will start as a separate game with 4 empires/races. Others will be added. Then a version will be release as add-on to the land trilogy.

No naval battles in 3K, no naval battles in Troy. Considering that I don't think you can even say it's likely to get them in WH3.
    neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

No naval battles in 3K, no naval battles in Troy. Considering that I don't think you can even say it's likely to get them in WH3.
    Not in WH3, but beyond. A CA Man of War will be a cash cow. CA is too smart to pass on that.
    Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

Not in WH3, but beyond. A CA Man of War will be a cash cow. CA is too smart to pass on that.
    That's still really not likely though.
    neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

Let me ask you, if CA did do a Man-of-War game, and it was as good as WH1, would you buy it for, say $60US?
    Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

Let me ask you, if CA did do a Man-of-War game, and it was as good as WH1, would you buy it for, say $60US?
    Nop.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,493Registered Users
    A man-o-war game from CA?

I don’t like naval battles in other total war games, why should I buy a game only with them?

No thank you hope CA won’t waste resources on something like that.
    neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

Nop.
    Ok, fair enough. But ten of thousands would. CA can bet on it.
    Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

neodeinos said:

Thirdeye said:

Nop.
    Ok, fair enough. But ten of thousands would. CA can bet on it.
    Do you have anything to support what you're saying ?
    Gee, the fact that the topic keeps coming up say a lot. Also, Man-of-War was a big hit in its day. Naval TT has a long history, and PC historic naval gaming is popular too. CA already has a hit blending historic with fantasy gaming. They could do it again.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Posts: 1,361Registered Users
    edited October 19
    How would you even balance it? Some races uses Galleons with cannons, some use Longships....while others have Ironclads that are armed to the teeth, and Skaven have straight-out Gunships!

Naval Combat was garbage in the previous Total Wars, and the only remotely passable one was Rome 2, which was SPAM RAM all the time.