Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Will LL mechanics reworks be the "Race Reworks" of Game 3?

GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,119Registered Users
I did make a thread about this a year or so ago I think, and to clarify I mean after the game 1 reworks are completed (as BM and WoC will likely be reworked in game 3).

But to the point, there are a lot of disparities between LLs when it comes to faction mechanics, and this is not even necessarily a game1/2 divide, often this is a divide between Base LLs and ones added in DLC and FLC. The perfect example of this is the Skaven, take Ikkit Claw with his workshop and nukes, then compare it to Pestilens, Morrs (and admittedly Rictus), and there is a huge gap. In fact then you can compare Pestilens and Morrs, as there is little difference between the two.

Now this is not an attack on CA, new ideas and pushing boundaries is great and has really helped this series evolve (as can also be seen by the greater quality of new races which led to the race reworks), but the LLs are a big part of the formula, and core LLs are left behind with no unique mechanics, other than maybe an upkeep reduction or higher level recruitment for X (which DLC LLs have too).

So, with ever increasing quality to how LLs are implemented, I wonder if after race reworks CA might move on to LLs. Do people think this would be a good idea, or maybe that CA should focus on reworking and improving races continuously over individual characters?

I guess this is kinda both a question to the forum and a suggestion to CA as I think that if they get the chance it would be great to do this, for example giving Pestilens its own Laboratory and using plagues (which will hopefully be reworked eventually themselves) to give the resource to upgrade stuff.

Comments

• GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,119Registered Users
    Also, as an extra thought, do people think that game 3 core LLs will have full unique mechanics, or will they be more like the core LLs of the current games?
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,603Registered Users
    Goatforce said:

Also, as an extra thought, do people think that game 3 core LLs will have full unique mechanics, or will they be more like the core LLs of the current games?

You'll always need at least one or two lords that are pretty "vanilla" at launch, to allow players to familiarize themselves with the race mechanics. That is what characters like Tyrion, Mazdamundi or Karl Franz exist for, basically. Giving them some wacky unique gimmick would be out of place, imho.
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users
    Pestilens couod benefit from some plague mechanics a nurgle faction would bring. I dont mean copy paste but maybe while brainstorming and testing some stuff for nurgle at CA they can find something which is better for pestilens than nurgle.

Some old LL sureky need something but most of them will see (if ever) a rework together with a race rework.
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users
    Kroq Gar, Gor rok and tic tac toe need some unique stuff to differentiate them from the other and bring them on eye with LP LL.

Someone mentioned artifact retaking and purge lustria from enemies (Lokhir, Harkon, Wulfhart) fir Gor Rok.

While far away from lustria, the other two could get something of retaking anciant far away temple cities and artifacts.

Maybe a alith anar similar mechanic, saying this specific lird stole this artifact, kill him and retake the artifact.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    Tictactoe leads the Teradon patrols, a nice mechanic could be missions to kill random armies spawning around your territory. Or some buffs when no enemies are in your territory and penalties when there are some.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,119Registered Users

Goatforce said:

You'll always need at least one or two lords that are pretty "vanilla" at launch, to allow players to familiarize themselves with the race mechanics. That is what characters like Tyrion, Mazdamundi or Karl Franz exist for, basically. Giving them some wacky unique gimmick would be out of place, imho.
    That's a fair point, but my concern is that they could become fairly redundant as the faction gets more fleshed out LLs, and that they also then do not come to adequately represent the "subfaction" that they lead (again, Pestilens being the example I would point to, cheaper access to a fairly useless Plague creator is not a brilliant distinction).
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,649Registered Users
    edited October 19

Goatforce said:

While true its not needed in my opinion, I think some of the wackier LL:S are far easier to play with and more fun and give a better gameplay session. Ikit Claw is an example I struggled severly with Skaven with the baselords but it worked much better with him for me. I think they should go the Ikit way for LL:s in game 3. More interesting, more unique mechanics tied into the faction. It will also help create very different campaigns depending on what lord you pick.