Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What's your favorite pleasant surprise?

SeldkamSeldkam Senior MemberPosts: 4,113Registered Users
Context: after getting Vampirates and Tomb Kings recently, I've really enjoyed the TK campaign especially. I love how endless and unstoppable the faction feels to play. Endless legions and whatnot.

What is one aspect of TWW 1 ( OR2) that surprised you in a good way? Could be a unit, a campaign a race, etc.
The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.

Comments

• UberReptilianUberReptilian Posts: 166Registered Users
    Ikit Claw getting his DOOMsphere. Ikit Claw is my personal favourite character, so seeing him get a campaign ability based on something I believe only from the Thanquol's Doom Novel really pleased me. Nothing is more satisfying than nuking Ulthuan and Athel Loren.
  • RikisRikis Posts: 1,151Registered Users
    How much I like the vampire coast for one. It is my favorite faction at the moment and will be hard to beat the way I play them as a horde with a home base.

Same for the tomb Kings for a more empire building game. Settra is a beast if you stack everything to boost his chariot!

The fact that we got crossover dlc, I thought it was a pipe dream at best but now that it's a thing I can't wait to see the greenskins take at it.

Ikit and the skaven underempire, great to have around.

Now I just hope that if there is a pre order dlc that we get a race pack.
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 912Registered Users
    I would say Crossover Lord Packs was the most pleasant surprise for me.
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,919Registered Users
    The fact that Lizardmen set the bar for LLs higher than the previous record holder the Vampire Counts, that's a really good sign for the future of this series. On a related note, the addition of the Dread Saurian, I didn't think it was feasible, but after we got it, as well as the Necrofex Collosus and Heirotitan, almost any single unit is possible now, which really gets me exited for Merwyrms.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 4,113Registered Users
    Rikis said:

How much I like the vampire coast for one. It is my favorite faction at the moment and will be hard to beat the way I play them as a horde with a home base.

Same for the tomb Kings for a more empire building game. Settra is a beast if you stack everything to boost his chariot!

The fact that we got crossover dlc, I thought it was a pipe dream at best but now that it's a thing I can't wait to see the greenskins take at it.

Ikit and the skaven underempire, great to have around.

Now I just hope that if there is a pre order dlc that we get a race pack.

Yes I started with Khalida but I'm only saving best for last. I literally bought tomb kings because of settra lol.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • Red11sgbRed11sgb Posts: 158Registered Users
    Under Empire, it's a simple concept in the game but it has a good amount of building variation.

The vampire coast DLC

I don't know any Lore so when I come across a landmark building!

Norsca DLC, monster hunts updated for WH2 monsters.
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users
    Bonutz619 said:

I would say Crossover Lord Packs was the most pleasant surprise for me.

Me too, same for LM up to 6 LL.

Finally appearing of Nakai.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,507Registered Users
    For me it’s also the Vampire Coast.
    When the DLC was announced I was very sceptical. But then it turned out to be one of my favourite races.

Harkon and Noctilus are just badass.
  • LabriaLabria Posts: 511Registered Users
    Vampire Coast. I love this race.
  • BereaverBereaver Posts: 429Registered Users
    Announcement of the Curse of the Vampire Coast!

I've been waiting for announcement for DoW expansion pack, but *BAM* here comes this beautiful trailer with awesome sea shanty and Luthor Harkon. It hyped me so much immediately! I have not even been even that sad about no DoW for now, and I really really want to see them in game eventually.

I was even more happy when Count Noctilus was announced as one of Legendary Lords from obscure game Dreafleet. At the moment I've read about him only on 1d4chan and Lexicanum articles and after seeing the reveal I thought: "Wow! Anything is possible now!".

I've got similar feeling from Hunter and the Beast announcement.

CA is really great at pushing the boundaries of what to expect!
  • RiskafishRiskafish Posts: 360Registered Users
    Coming home to a full mouse trap :D
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 968Registered Users
    The fact we proved a lot wrong thanks to CA with releasing the first Crossover DLC, which basicly is the best thing, cause it opens up all the doors for max factions in Vortex Map and the ME map, as well as the game three map.
    Max legendary lords, full rosters, legendary hero's, reworks, patches, its a win for SP, Co-up and MP.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 6,506Registered Users
    I would say the fact that CA convinced me that my least favourite table top race was actually fun to play. I’m looking at you Bretonnia!
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 1,664Registered Users
    Tiktaq'to, didn't look that great on paper but once I started playing him I found him to be very unique and it was a really fun campaign.
  • AkiAmazAkiAmaz Posts: 210Registered Users
    Getting all the faction packs for R2TW then realising that WTW had been released about 4 months before. The fact I never even knew they were doing this title made it even more pleasant.

Double the pleasantness with the various DLC that dropped almost like immediately for me.

It really is as simple as that.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,507Registered Users
    @neodeinos

Tiktacto as a Full airforce Army is super fun and refreshing. That way he actually felt like a completely new race. Most people just underestimate him.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,629Registered Users
    edited October 19
    Not one specifically, but overall for game 2:

How willing they are to get out of their comfort zone and offer new mechanics.

The Tomb King army, Vampirates Ships and Pirate Coves, the Huntsmarshal`s supply-units, the blessed spawns, rites, the new empire counts system.... the blood kisses for vampires, the limited expansion of norsca... the different climates, the treasure hunts...the workshop mechanic for clan skryre..."mixed" LL having access to units from other factions (allarielle, arkhan)

You can really feel a really great creative energy going into the factions that make them really unique and I cannot wait for what new mechanics will happen in game 3.... or how they intend to overhaul some factions such as the greenskins.

I was just saddened at the "minimal" dwarven overhaul... I really hope we still get to see a cross-game lord pack for the dwarves, adding an engineer-faction under burloksson or malakai as well as things such as their miners being able to actually appear on the battlefield like a summon.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,173Registered Users

I was just saddened at the "minimal" dwarven overhaul... I really hope we still get to see a cross-game lord pack for the dwarves, adding an engineer-faction under burloksson or malakai as well as things such as their miners being able to actually appear on the battlefield like a summon.

I was honestly pretty stoked with the Dwarf's update when it happened. It checked off quite a few of my boxes; Ungrim, Giant Slayers, Forge. Though I will admit that I got a little jelly looking at the Skryre workshop. Perhaps when we get Thorek they'll spruce it up a bit for him. And I'd settle for Miners just reprising their role from TT; specialized Great Weapon Warriors.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,629Registered Users
    Ol_Nessie said:

I was honestly pretty stoked with the Dwarf's update when it happened. It checked off quite a few of my boxes; Ungrim, Giant Slayers, Forge. Though I will admit that I got a little jelly looking at the Skryre workshop. Perhaps when we get Thorek they'll spruce it up a bit for him. And I'd settle for Miners just reprising their role from TT; specialized Great Weapon Warriors.
    Problem was more that the grudge-system is still really "meh".... I think the faith and steel mod did better stuff with it....

They could have added some "legendary grudges" or something similar to that, akin to monster-hunt that would reward ROR or other special units. One example would be Heinrich Kemmler because of Krell, who in fact holds a ton of grudges alone.

But I still hope we get a lord-pack that adds stuff such as the Thunderbarges, Prospectors., Flamethrower Gyros....
    and a new start position for grombrindal in Karak Zorn...^^
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,173Registered Users

Ol_Nessie said:

Problem was more that the grudge-system is still really "meh".... I think the faith and steel mod did better stuff with it....

They could have added some "legendary grudges" or something similar to that, akin to monster-hunt that would reward ROR or other special units. One example would be Heinrich Kemmler because of Krell, who in fact holds a ton of grudges alone.
    I don't have SFO, so I'll have to take your word on it. I like the idea of legendary grudges, but tying them to other factions on the map could prove troublesome since there's no guarantee that they'll still be alive by the time you get around to them. I guess they could treat it like the battle against Lokhir for the VCoast factions though. And I'd love to be able to get some grudge-credit for ransacking Ulthuan or slaying hordes of Skaven.

One of my issues with the Book of Grudges is that they kinda took away all its bite. They removed some of the harder to accomplish grudges and the penalties aren't all that severe. And I've never really had my list of grudges get out of control since they're pretty easy to keep on top of. I'm also a little annoyed they removed the K8P grudge from the book in the Clan Angrund campaign. I'd actually take it even further, with a grudge for each of the "lost holds" like Karak Ungor and Karak Azgal.

But I still hope we get a lord-pack that adds stuff such as the Thunderbarges, Prospectors., Flamethrower Gyros

Thunderbarge- Totally dope, I just hope they make sure it can't land or get stuck in melee on the ground.

Prospectors- CA's past actions in this regard would indicate that this would be the route they'd take, but I'd just prefer them to improve Miners so they're not chaff. Maybe Prospectors would work as a "weapons team" type unit with steam drills.

Flamethrower Gyros- This would be a very niche variant since the Brimstone gun does fire damage, but a flamethrower-type attack would do much the same kind of damage as the steam gun Gyro. I'd honestly just settle for higher damage on the standard Gyro.

I'd take the Goblin-Hewer so long as it's not contingent on Malakai being a full fledged LL. LH sure, but he should not be commanding armies or ruling a faction.

....and a new start position for grombrindal in Karak Zorn...^^

Yuck. I like Grombrindal right where he is.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 6,506Registered Users
    @Ol’Nessie. I had 500+ Grudge somehow in TWW1 and you wouldn’t notice it.

At least now on VH or Legendary the extra +10% upkeep can really be felt.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Elder_MolochElder_Moloch Posts: 1,783Registered Users
    One? Vampire Coast.

One biggest? Knowing and learning about WHFB thanks to TW and knowing that its actually nice rich fantasy setting, even for those who don't like fantasy on average and that CA Devs impelemented it in very satisfying way, so even those who are mildly interested in regular strategies would be interested in TW:WH.

Many? Many of them.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________