Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Would have prefered Gotrek as a Legendary Hero

BlaeysBlaeys Junior MemberPosts: 791Registered Users
edited October 20 in General Discussion
Im playing an Alberic campaign and just got Gotrek and Felix. They are fun, but there are some real downsides to having Gotrek as a lord rather than a hero.

The biggest is, as Bretonnia, he obviously doesn't get access to vows (nor should he). This means he pays the (very expensive) pre-vow upkeep costs for any cavalry in his army (and peasants add to the realm cap). This makes him pretty much unusable as an army lord.

I think it would have been MUCH better if he had been a hero - and then given him bonuses when fighting in an army alongside Felix. In addition to feeling less clunky, I think it would feel more lore friendly as well. I know they led armies in the books, but more often, they were soldiers fighting on the front line.

I know it's probably too late to change, but he does feel very clunky - especially in a Bretonnia campaign.

Comments

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,371Registered Users
    There are other threads on Gotrek's "suckiness", but it is a good description of how he sucks for Bretonnia too.

It's nice that he's there for fun, but he is a bad lord. Very bad. Customising lords is not just half the fun of them, it is also key to strategy.

I can't seriously choose "does nothing but fight" Gotrek over "troop buffing, artefact/follower complimenting, hippogriff riding" Generic D'Amateur. Budget constraints do mean you have to choose, even with Bretonnia. That is, unless you give Gotrek no army at all.
  • makar55makar55 Posts: 1,787Registered Users
    I would prefer both of these to have 5% chance to get in your army when you're besieged.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Posts: 791Registered Users
    edited October 20

There are other threads on Gotrek's "suckiness", but it is a good description of how he sucks for Bretonnia too.

It's nice that he's there for fun, but he is a bad lord. Very bad. Customising lords is not just half the fun of them, it is also key to strategy.

I can't seriously choose "does nothing but fight" Gotrek over "troop buffing, artefact/follower complimenting, hippogriff riding" Generic D'Amateur. Budget constraints do mean you have to choose, even with Bretonnia. That is, unless you give Gotrek no army at all.

Yea, Ive basically been sending him and Felix on suicide missions with no additional army/units. They haven't won one yet, but they are at least fun to watch.

I avoided posting this in the other Gotrek/Felix threads because, unfortunately, people have a tendency toward the dramatic on these forums. I don't see this as a he sucks/he is awesome conversation. I do think he is decent as he is - stat and ability wise - but the restrictions of being a lord rather than a hero create a very clunky scenario - especially as Bretonnia. To me, that is the change that would bring him to a fun and useful state in game.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,412Registered Users
    I agree that I'd prefer have both as heroes. At least you could use them to boost your armies as mercenaries, as they should be.

Another problem (that I think no one has pointed out) with Gotrek as as a lord is that he comes with no army. Meaning, if you want to recruit from scratch, you'll have to spend those turn recruiting, and you're on a timer of 20 turns to begin with.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,167Registered Users
    He is the lord alrite. The lord of suckage.
    Your best bet with him as Brets though is no to give him an army. Have him and Felix reinforce other armies. You don’t get the Supply Lines increase with him as Bretonnia at least.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • BaronRodneyBaronRodney Posts: 677Registered Users
    I think that Gotrek and Felix should have no upkeep or supply line impact if they are on their own. But they immediately get one if you give them troops to command. Then we could have a choice, using them as a lord or just using them to reinforce other armies in the battlefield which I think is CA’s intention
  • mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,463Registered Users
    Aside from his voice actor, most things about his implementation is umgak from the lack of customisation to his small gnomish model with tendency to fly.
  • NeoYasNeoYas Posts: 620Registered Users
    I'm not interested in Gotrek as It is now, with no buff nor skill tree, the best solution is to make him a legendary hero, and to give him a skill tree would be even better.

• MarkerMarker Posts: 1,053Registered Users
    The same goes for multiplayer I think, both are better off as heroes, in campaign they should just be like the greenknight but available to multiple factions, when one faction has had them for support it has a cooldown so other factions are in line for their support.
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    Gotrek and Felix have always been heroes. Other than to be different and annoying, I can't imagine anybody wanting a temporary lord that needs to recruit, move and do something useful within 20 turns. Regardless of the fact the expense and lack of value they provide for the army.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,826Registered Users
    I think for the dawi he should be a lord whereas for other races he should be a legendary hero. If CA wants to keep the Lord thing going.

• RheingoldRheingold Posts: 208Registered Users
    His timing is also impeccable. Arrives for the second time, spend time recruiting and moving him north to face the forthcoming chaos invasion , the big one. Gets up there. Event triggers about the everchosens arrival. Gotrek takes one look, and decides he actually really doesn’t want to die today, thank you very much and buggers off.

While I appreciate them being added, I hope and presume CA will adjust them. They are pretty much unusable in this state.