Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dark Elves prediction by process of elimination, Rakarth Vs Moulder.

2»

Comments

• SephlockSephlock Posts: 1,667Registered Users
    Is Ghorst ever going to get decent poison :neutral: ? Khalida has been giving him the side-eye for quite some time.
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 915Registered Users

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619
    I'd agree with that if they didn't just choose Nakai, a character with less lore, no artwork and never had table top rules over Gor Rok who had those things.

Oh, and his literal species can't communicate properly so it also creates lore contraditions by him being a general, which contradicts the little lore he had.

My post got screwed up somehow but as far as the DLC is concerned, Malus is what sells. The guy has tons of lore, tons of books about him, and is well known and well liked in the Warhammer universe. This alone is why he’ll be the DLC candidate.

In the case with Nakai/Gor Rok, the Lizardmen already had their most famous characters in the game prior. This is not the same case. Malus is really the only hugely famous character left for the Dark Elves so it’s pretty much guaranteed that he’s going to be in as the DLC. There’s virtually no chance that Rakarth takes the spot of Malus especially since CA said the FLC will not be the fan favorite aka Malus.
    When was the last time CA picked a LL candidate because they where popular?

We haven't seen that be a reason in their picks ever.
    Not ever? Now you’re just being disingenuous. You should probably rethink that statement.
    Name a time when they explicitly picked a DLC LL because of popularity.

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619
    I'd agree with that if they didn't just choose Nakai, a character with less lore, no artwork and never had table top rules over Gor Rok who had those things.

Oh, and his literal species can't communicate properly so it also creates lore contraditions by him being a general, which contradicts the little lore he had.

My post got screwed up somehow but as far as the DLC is concerned, Malus is what sells. The guy has tons of lore, tons of books about him, and is well known and well liked in the Warhammer universe. This alone is why he’ll be the DLC candidate.

In the case with Nakai/Gor Rok, the Lizardmen already had their most famous characters in the game prior. This is not the same case. Malus is really the only hugely famous character left for the Dark Elves so it’s pretty much guaranteed that he’s going to be in as the DLC. There’s virtually no chance that Rakarth takes the spot of Malus especially since CA said the FLC will not be the fan favorite aka Malus.

Not ever? Now you’re just being disingenuous. You should probably rethink that statement.
    Take your pick.

Skarsnik
    Belegar Ironhammer
    Crone Hellebron
    Alarielle the Ever Queen
    Settra the Imperishable

Just to name a few. I mean I could go on and on. All of the characters CA have chosen for DLC have a good amount of lore in Warhammer and are liked/well established. Not to mention most are 8th edition...unlike Rakarth. It actually shows that CA goes with popular lords more often then obscure ones.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,456Registered Users
    Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Take your pick.

Skarsnik
    Belegar Ironhammer
    Crone Hellebron
    Alarielle the Ever Queen
    Settra the Imperishable

Just to name a few. I mean I could go on and on. All of the characters CA have chosen for DLC have a good amount of lore in Warhammer and are liked/well established. Not to mention most are 8th edition...unlike Rakarth. It actually shows that CA goes with popular lords more often then obscure ones.
    Please provide a source where CA says they picked one of those because they're popular.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,733Registered Users

Two destruction races during Christmas season? Why would CA hinder their sales by releasing two less played races during such a hot market time? In December you tell stories about good vs. evil.

I expect the High Elves in the next LP. I'll be surprised if there won't be order representation.

High elves, are they really order hmmmm :p

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

edited October 20

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Take your pick.

Skarsnik
    Belegar Ironhammer
    Crone Hellebron
    Alarielle the Ever Queen
    Settra the Imperishable

Please provide a source where CA says they picked one of those because they're popular.
    Then by that logic, pick a source where CA says that they like to pick only unpopular lords. You can’t and neither can I so that’s kind of a silly thing to ask lol.
    Post edited by Bonutz619 on
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian Posts: 166Registered Users
    CA did imply they choose popular lords for paid DLC when they said the reason TTT and Tretch were chosen was they like selecting lesser lords as FLC. I don't have the quote, but it was from a reddit QnA

CA did imply they choose popular lords for paid DLC when they said the reason TTT and Tretch were chosen was they like selecting lesser lords as FLC. I don't have the quote, but it was from a reddit QnA

Come to think of it, I think I remember that quote you’re referring to as well, Reptilian. I’ll have to see if I can find it in the deep bowels of Reddit.
    Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Take your pick.

Skarsnik
    Belegar Ironhammer
    Crone Hellebron
    Alarielle the Ever Queen
    Settra the Imperishable

Then by that logic, pick a source where CA says that they like to pick only unpopular lords. You can’t and neither can I so that’s kind of a silly thing to ask lol.
    Not even close.

So you acknowledge I'm right then. I said we haven't seen popularity play a factor. We haven't seen that. They've given us reasons for choices, popularity hasn't been one.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Take your pick.

Skarsnik
    Belegar Ironhammer
    Crone Hellebron
    Alarielle the Ever Queen
    Settra the Imperishable

Not even close.

So you acknowledge I'm right then. I said we haven't seen popularity play a factor. We haven't seen that. They've given us reasons for choices, popularity hasn't been one.
    I’ll find the quotes on Reddit tomorrow from when CA said they tend to choose big name characters for DLC’s and lesser knowns for FLCs. Believe it was the AMA during the Prophet and the Warlock when talking about Tia Taq Toe. It’s 3am where I live and I’m going to crash so I’m not going to search Reddit right this second.

But to put it simply, in no way, shape or form am I acknowledging that you’re right lol because you’re not. Stay tuned.
    Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Take your pick.

Skarsnik
    Belegar Ironhammer
    Crone Hellebron
    Alarielle the Ever Queen
    Settra the Imperishable

Not even close.

I’ll find the quotes on Reddit tomorrow from when CA said they tend to choose big name characters for DLC’s and lesser knowns for FLCs. Believe it was the AMA during the Prophet and the Warlock when talking about Tia Taq Toe. It’s 3am where I live and I’m going to crash so I’m not going to search Reddit right this second.

But to put it simply, in no way, shape or form am I acknowledging that you’re right lol because you’re not. Stay tuned.
    Good idea. Remember kids nothing good ever happens after 3 am - Kenny Florian.

I am of course -as always, except when I'm not which is never- right. Even in that list above. Skarsnik vs Belegar is a classic rivalry. Settra's the faction leader. Hellacrazy and Alarielle fit the theme well. They may saved big characters for big themes, but popularity isn't a determining factor. It's why Gotrek was a lame FLC, why Generic still isn't in and Hellacrazy is. Why they chose religious dude over the Tod. If popularity's a factor it's low down on the list, as your list evidences neatly.

There you go, saved you having to look those up.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,307Registered Users
    Bies said:

Two destruction races during Christmas season? Why would CA hinder their sales by releasing two less played races during such a hot market time? In December you tell stories about good vs. evil.

I expect the High Elves in the next LP. I'll be surprised if there won't be order representation.

High elves, are they really order hmmmm :p
    The best order in the world!
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Posts: 609Registered Users

Something I always wonder with you, what makes you confident they would not choose Best-Elf Eltharion if he wasn't pitted against Best-Gobbo Grom?

It's because he is not the best elf. And we already have Lothern and Nagarythe. What's the point of more archers and spearmen focused factions.
    this i agree elf needs to showcase their monsters
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    edited October 20

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Take your pick.

Skarsnik
    Belegar Ironhammer
    Crone Hellebron
    Alarielle the Ever Queen
    Settra the Imperishable

Not even close.

I am of course -as always, except when I'm not which is never- right. Even in that list above. Skarsnik vs Belegar is a classic rivalry. Settra's the faction leader. Hellacrazy and Alarielle fit the theme well. They may saved big characters for big themes, but popularity isn't a determining factor. It's why Gotrek was a lame FLC, why Generic still isn't in and Hellacrazy is. Why they chose religious dude over the Tod. If popularity's a factor it's low down on the list, as your list evidences neatly.

G&F never had rules and are not tied to particular race and yet they got in only through their sheer popularity.And they were not only lame FLC they were used for a promotion
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 4,114Registered Users
    I found the Reddit post. It looks like gameplay and popularity are about as important as each other. Sometimes theme is more important, but sometimes popularity (especially if that Lord is actually a faction leader or otherwise very important) wins out.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Posts: 3,058Registered Users
    @Bonutz619 where was it stated the FLC will not be a fan favourite

I only know CA stated it is not a skaven

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • DEM0N_LLAMADEM0N_LLAMA Posts: 482Registered Users
    Seldkam said:

I found the Reddit post. It looks like gameplay and popularity are about as important as each other. Sometimes theme is more important, but sometimes popularity (especially if that Lord is actually a faction leader or otherwise very important) wins out.

Can you link it please. I know someone is going to ask this.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,545Registered Users
    Malus vs Thanquol OR Rakarth vs Throt is my guess, depending on what theme they choose.

Thanquol lS in the New World, I think. I have also thought they might save him for game 3 but since they also stated the story they published on TW Access offers hints to his location and it seems to say the New World I think Thanquol might be next.

Throt is in prime postion to join the game 3 struggle if Kislev's territory is in game 3 map. It makes sense he would come then.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 835Registered Users

Less played????? Skaven are one of the most famous. Dark Elves are less played because of their starting location.

friend have you been living under a rock we are assuming that its Dark Elves Vs Skaven due to what CA said they basically said the following That the next Festag updte will not be Old world race or and update. and since now the Dichotomy of Evil vs Good was broken by the last DLC the only obvious choice would be Dark Elves vs Skaven.
  • Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 835Registered Users

Because that's what Yvresse is about, that's how its main forces look like. More spearmen and archers.

I don't know what the beef whit a Faction specializing in Core solid Choices.... i use Spearmen even until late game.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,307Registered Users
    edited October 20

Less played????? Skaven are one of the most famous. Dark Elves are less played because of their starting location.

friend have you been living under a rock we are assuming that its Dark Elves Vs Skaven due to what CA said they basically said the following That the next Festag updte will not be Old world race or and update. and since now the Dichotomy of Evil vs Good was broken by the last DLC the only obvious choice would be Dark Elves vs Skaven.
    Yes. Both Skaven and Dark Elves are less played races.

I do believe we will get destruction vs. destruction, but not for Christmas season. I don't see it happening. To make a bank, in my opinion, CAEGA will try to focus on the potentially the best sellling option. Considering the High Elves are the most played Game2 race I think it will be them.

Pretty pattern:

1. Order vs. order
    2. Order vs. destruction
    3. Destruction vs. destruction
    4. Destruction vs. order

I don't know what the beef whit a Faction specializing in Core solid Choices.... i use Spearmen even until late game.

No beef but a need for gameplay variety.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

@Bonutz619

Take your pick.

Skarsnik
    Belegar Ironhammer
    Crone Hellebron
    Alarielle the Ever Queen
    Settra the Imperishable

Not even close.

G&F never had rules and are not tied to particular race and yet they got in only through their sheer popularity.And they were not only lame FLC they were used for a promotion
    And? If popularity mattered then surely the most popular characters in WHFB would be DLC.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 1,007Registered Users
    Malus' rules on TT were pretty straightforward. He was a pretty good fighter with a strong magic weapon. He had an ability to unleash the demon inside him, which would make him stronger, but also give a chance of him going out of control and attacking his allies.

In addition to this, he rode a unique cold one that was significantly stronger than normal cold ones. Cold one knights had stupidity in TT (which gave a chance of them not doing what wanted. This has been represented by rampage in game. Malus' cold one did not have stupidity, and any unit he joined would not suffer from it. As such, his focus would propably be on cold one knights and chariots, and he should have an ability to somehow negate rampage for friendly cold one units.

Curious as to if there is a reason for Malus to fight Eshin. They don't seem very compatible for a LP.
    Also side note was Rakarth mentioned in the 6th, 7th & 8th Edition Dark Elf Army Books? Not trying to start the Great War again, just interested in more sources for him.

Rakarth had no rules in either 6th, 7th or 8th edition. He had no mention whatsoever in the 8th edition armybook, haven't checked the older ones yet.
    @yolordmcswag
    Thank you kindly. I knew he wasn't a playable character, but at this point that really isn't a hindrance as proven with the amount of non TT lords we have. ALL characters however have been mentioned at some point during 8th Edition. Nakai - Lizardmen AB
    Vampire Coast/Dreadfleet - End Times and spin off game during that era (except Fat Ghost obviously)
    Ghorst - 8th Edition Supplement
    Bretonnia - 6th Edition but playable for 8th.

If he isn't mentioned in the Army Book maybe he is in a different Army Book or supplement? If not I wouldn't bet on him for DLC, but I think he could be really interesting as a DLC choice. Could pave the way for older edition characters like Neferata & Zacharias the Everliving or Ghark Ironskin for the Ogre Kingdoms (please CA, give me these three).
  • AzurianAzurian Posts: 718Registered Users

Curious as to if there is a reason for Malus to fight Eshin. They don't seem very compatible for a LP.
    Also side note was Rakarth mentioned in the 6th, 7th & 8th Edition Dark Elf Army Books? Not trying to start the Great War again, just interested in more sources for him.

Yes, you're right, they have such good reasons for confrontation as Marcus and Nakai

Azurian said:

Yes, you're right, they have such good reasons for confrontation as Marcus and Nakai
    Beast, beast hunter. It took 3 words to establish that rivalry. Generic has no such rivalry with Eshin. His rival is himself.
    Azurian said:

Unsure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it was a question. Wanted to know if they fought in the Novels or not.
    Nakai & Markus are a great example of how easy a "theme" is to come up with. Literally any character can be justified fighting another character because of a theme. Applies to Malus, applies to Rakarth.
  • AzurianAzurian Posts: 718Registered Users

Azurian said:

Unsure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it was a question. Wanted to know if they fought in the Novels or not.
    Nakai & Markus are a great example of how easy a "theme" is to come up with. Literally any character can be justified fighting another character because of a theme. Applies to Malus, applies to Rakarth.
    Yes, the developers have shown a disregard for the original source, now you can wait for anything. Even the lord pack on the gnomes of chaos against Tyrion, in the future.

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,735Registered Users
    "Hunter and Beast" is the title of the LP, but it's not its theme, which is Foreign Invader and Domestic Resistance actually.