Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Summary of confirmed features from official sources, interviews etc.

RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Registered Users
edited October 20 in General Discussion
RELEASE DATE: 2020.

SETTING AND CAMPAIGN
• Late bronze age, inspired by Homer’s Iliad.
• „Truth behind myth” take on Trojan War conflict.
• Map is roughly the size of ROME II grand campaign map and will encompass Greece, Crete and most of the modern Turkey. Troy is in the centre of the map.
• Troy will be a sandbox experience. Even if generally it is expected that Greeks will try to invade Troy, players are not forced to follow this route. As Hector you can take Troy by force or as Achilles you can turn on Agamemnon early into the campaign and become a renegade.
• Recruitment system will be similar to older Total War titles and unlike ToB units will be recruited at full strength.
• There are a certain number of points of interest spread across the map, and if you control them, you get different gameplay effects.

PLAYABLE FACTIONS
• 8 playable factions representing 4 Greek and 4 Trojan champions (2 confirmed so far).
• Greek champions:

Achilles:
 Based on trailer and artwork he will wield spear and shield.
 He can recruit the largest amount of elite warriors.
 His unique mechanic will be represented in his hot blooded personality. His moods can make it harder to complete diplomatic actions or will make his subjects more efficient in gaining resources when they try to appease him.
 His other unique mechanic is called „Greatest Warrior”, which forces Achilles to search and defeat enemy generals that pose a threat. As a reward his toops will be more loyal and become cheaper. It will also open some diplomatic opportunities.

Odysseus:
 Based on the artwork he will wield a bow.
 His unique quest chain will be a retelling of the Odyssey, which will end up with the battle against the suitors of Penelope. Completing his quest will grant him a special bow and will unlock his son Telemachus as a new hero.
 His unique mechanics will allow him building some structures in foreign settlements and as a capable sailor he will be able to build special structures in coastal settlements.

Menelaus:
 Based on the artwork he will wield sword and shield.

Agamemnon:
 Based on the artwork he will wield mace/scepter and shield.

• Trojan champions:

Hector
 Based on trailer and artwork he will wield spear and shield.
 Defensive warrior with tanky units.
 His quest will resolve around tasks set by Priam for Hector and Paris. Beating Paris in these tasks will result in Priam giving up his throne and city to Hector.

Aeneas
 He is a leader of Dardania.
 His unique mechanic will grant him the ability to „speak” with dead characters. Capturing the region which holds the tomb of Heracles will allow Aeneas to claim that he can commune with the dead hero and will allow him to bestow Heracles' wisdom upon his troops.

OTHER FACTIONS
• Troy is its own faction (like Senate/Rome in the original Rome: Total War) and held by Priam.

UNITS
• Strong infantry focus.
• Heroes will be represented as a single entity units.
• There will be greater variance in speed and mass between light, medium and heavy unit classes. There will be many new active and passive abilites. Some units will be able to switch weapons while others will be immune to flanking.
• We will see chariots in the game but cavalry will be very rare.
• There will be units, that will represent „realistic” take on some mythological creatures:
 Minotaur: an axe wielding mid/late game single entity unit with unique abilities. He is as powerful as well leveled hero.
 Centaurs: a light cavalry unit based on certain wild tribes that were a very capable riders. They will be recruitable in the regions where ancient Greeks thought these mythic creatures have lived.

BATTLE SYSTEM
• New terrain types with more obstacles that will affect units movement and their fighting ability (like mud that will greatly slow down heavy infantry).
• New dueling mechanic where heroes can challange (this ability will have to be unlocked first) other heroes to duel, which will lock them in the fight for a specific time, after which they can leave the duel with no penalties. Duels will create a circular battle arena around heroes that will prevent other units from intervening. Duel animations are inspired by duels from Troy movie.
• There will be a certain amount of siege equipment to help players overcome some walled cities.

GODS FAVOUR SYSTEM
• New gods favour system that will affect every faction on the map. It will represent people's beliefs that some gods might be supporting their nation.
• There will be 7 gods, that will grant specific bonuses to factions that are the most devoted to them:
 Ares: affects fighting ability of units. You will gain his favour by winning battles and killing captives. You will lose his favour if you don’t engage in battles and if you flee from them.
 Aphrodite: affects population happines and diplomacy.
 Hera: affects economic progress, production and unit replenishment.
 Poseidon: affects everything sea related.
 Zeus.
 Apollo.
 Athena.
• Almost every action that you do in the game affects the god favor system. You can build temples, perform sacrifices with agents and perform rituals at settlements to gain favour. You can also take actions that reduce gods favour of other factions.
• There are "divine conflicts" events where gods "supposedly" fight against each other, which affects gods favour system.

AGENTS
• Agents are back. There will be 3 normal agents and 3 epic agents. Epic agents don’t level up and don’t have skill trees but they can never fail an action. They can be used only once per game. After using them, they will disappear from the campaign.
• Normal agents: priest, envoy and spy.
• At the moment the only confirmed epic agent is seer.
 Seer can perform a quest that will change how gods and favour system works, which will affect every faction on the map.

ECONOMY
• New resource based economy.
• There will be 5 resources in the game.
 Food – used for a lot of things, including recruiting early units, the upkeep of troops and construction of simple buildings.
 Bronze – used to recruit more elite units.
 Wood and stone – used to contruct and maintain buildings.
 Gold – rarest resource, used in trading.
• Resources can be depleted.
• Running out of resources will have different penalties, from deserting troops to buildings falling down.
• You can gain resources by owning certain settlements, trading with other factions, trading with ships „from more distant lands” and by raiding.

SETTLEMENTS
• There will be specialized minor settlements that will produce different resources.

DIPLOMACY
• Diplomacy system inspired by Three Kingdoms, but with new and unique features.

NAVAL WARFARE
• No proper naval battles. They will be similar to Vampire Coast naval battles, where armies disembark on a nearby island and fight in a land battle.

OTHER MECHANICS
• Three „Trojan Horses”, which are based on scientific explanations of the famous stratagem. One of them will be earthquakes that will ravage Troy from time to time, making the city vulnerable for an attack.
• There is new endgame challenge mechanic. Depending on how you play the campaign, AI will choose suitable faction to serve as an endgame boss. This faction will receive buffs and more unpredictable AI. There will be a special interface that will hint you what your rival might try to do.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA and WARHAMMER campaigns:
ROMEII
GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
ED: Caledonii, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
RotR: Rome, Samnites, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
ATTILA
GC: Alans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
THRONES OF BRITANNIA
Gwined, Northumbria, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
WARHAMMER 1 & 2
Argwylon, Bretonnia, Carcassonne, Clan Angrund, Clan Skryre, Last Defenders, Nagarythe, Norsca, The Blessed Dread, The Empire, Von Carstein.

Comments

• Jedidias1Jedidias1 Posts: 116Registered Users
    Thank you for the information!
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,463Registered Users
    Great breakdown, thanks!

My personal likes and dislikes from that list...

The "truth behind the myth" approach, and the way they're interpreting parts of mythology, like Minotaurs as roided-out, cosplaying berserkers, Centaurs as barbarian light cavalry, natural disasters as the Trojan Horse, and superstition and faith attributing nearly everything that happens in life to the Gods.

Terrain having a much greater impact on battles, such as natural obstructions that break up the battlefield, mud that slows down heavier units, and how terrain can affect the effectiveness of units.

Units being able to swap weapon loadouts on-the-fly, and more substantial variances between unit weight classes.

The "Endgame Challenge" mechanic. The way the implemented it in 3K was excellent and really made the late-game fun, which has been a problem in nearly every Total War game. Great to see them continuing with it.

An economy and infrastructure that is heavily dependent on Resources. Really like that idea, always felt like the economy is previous games was too simple, and resources were only good for bringing in extra trade income.

Dislikes:
    The single-entity units though are something I really don't like. The way a lone hero can tank multiple regiments and dominate battles just makes battles feel very shallow to me.

Also not a fan of the duel system at all. The whole mechanic felt very tacked-on in 3K, and that "no-go" circle that opens up during a duel is very whacky and can really disrupt everything going on around it. Put a tanky hero in a wall breach, challenge enemy hero to a duel, and watch the AI mill about in front of the walls getting peppered by arrows because they can't get by the dueling heroes in the wall breach.

Agents... ugh. If they have to be in the game, then I hope they get massively reworked so that spies can't just poison or sabotage armies into oblivion, or envoys can't boost local tax revenue through the roof so one province can fund your entire campaign.

Sad to Unit recruitment is going back to how it worked in previous games. That's a step backwards for the series if you ask me. Have to wait and see how it works with the new resource-based economy.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,489Registered Users
    Moderators please pin this
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • ikkiikki Junior Member Posts: 120Registered Users
    And cyclopses building wonders? Like fantastic weapons, armors... and perhaps even unlocking the ability to build cyclopean walls and cyclopean temples around your entire civ.
    Well as long as cyclopses remain part of your civ anyway.

Ya know those 45000 ton stoneblocks arranged tight and well fitted (almost molten) that archaeologists positively insist were made by copper saws from deep pits (yeah someone squeezed into the 4 inch margin and sawed loose the stoneblock from the bottom too..no idea how they were lifted out) and then transported 6000 miles on rolling trees and finally set into place with lots of slaves and magical sand ramps that somehow dont collapse.
    Archaologists try to repeat the tiniest part with 1 ton stone blocks and fail. Then they note those ancient people sure worked hard and note their theory as proven despite failing.
  • markp27markp27 Posts: 1,297Registered Users
    ikki said:

And cyclopses building wonders? Like fantastic weapons, armors... and perhaps even unlocking the ability to build cyclopean walls and cyclopean temples around your entire civ.
    Well as long as cyclopses remain part of your civ anyway.

Ya know those 45000 ton stoneblocks arranged tight and well fitted (almost molten) that archaeologists positively insist were made by copper saws from deep pits (yeah someone squeezed into the 4 inch margin and sawed loose the stoneblock from the bottom too..no idea how they were lifted out) and then transported 6000 miles on rolling trees and finally set into place with lots of slaves and magical sand ramps that somehow dont collapse.
    Archaologists try to repeat the tiniest part with 1 ton stone blocks and fail. Then they note those ancient people sure worked hard and note their theory as proven despite failing.

Can I ask what you are talking about? Largest cut stone from antiquity, I have heard of, weighs just 1,650 tonnes and was shipped from a quarry nearby.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Posts: 1,116Registered Users

Great breakdown, thanks!

My personal likes and dislikes from that list...

The "truth behind the myth" approach, and the way they're interpreting parts of mythology, like Minotaurs as roided-out, cosplaying berserkers, Centaurs as barbarian light cavalry, natural disasters as the Trojan Horse, and superstition and faith attributing nearly everything that happens in life to the Gods.

Yeah, I also like the approach but it makes me wonder how many "mythological" creatures we are going to see. Minotaurs and centaurs are rather easy to explain but Hydra, Cerberus or Gorgon will be not.

Terrain having a much greater impact on battles, such as natural obstructions that break up the battlefield, mud that slows down heavier units, and how terrain can affect the effectiveness of units.

Units being able to swap weapon loadouts on-the-fly, and more substantial variances between unit weight classes.

Yes, they have to make up for a smaller unit variety. Hopefully new battle additions will also appear in the upcoming Total War titles.

The "Endgame Challenge" mechanic. The way the implemented it in 3K was excellent and really made the late-game fun, which has been a problem in nearly every Total War game. Great to see them continuing with it.

As someone who had not played 3K yet, can you explain how this mechanic work in 3K?

I also hope, that we will see some spawnable threats like Normans in ToB or Chaos in Warhammer. In Troy they can show Sea People and Dorian invasions.

An economy and infrastructure that is heavily dependent on Resources. Really like that idea, always felt like the economy is previous games was too simple, and resources were only good for bringing in extra trade income.

This is my favourite change. If everything is implemented well, we will be able to wage an economic warfare on the enemy.

Dislikes:
    The single-entity units though are something I really don't like. The way a lone hero can tank multiple regiments and dominate battles just makes battles feel very shallow to me.

They have said that the Minotaur is mid to late game unit comparable to well levelled Hero. Maybe they won't be able to tank entire armies.

Agents... ugh. If they have to be in the game, then I hope they get massively reworked so that spies can't just poison or sabotage armies into oblivion, or envoys can't boost local tax revenue through the roof so one province can fund your entire campaign.

From my experience they are not OP in Warhammer 2 (unlike early RomeII days), so hopefully they won't be a weapon of mass destruction in Troy (except for epic agents which are one time use only).

Sad to Unit recruitment is going back to how it worked in previous games. That's a step backwards for the series if you ask me. Have to wait and see how it works with the new resource-based economy.

I agree. ToB system was a good one.

ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    Argwylon, Bretonnia, Carcassonne, Clan Angrund, Clan Skryre, Last Defenders, Nagarythe, Norsca, The Blessed Dread, The Empire, Von Carstein.
    RafSwi7 said:

Yeah, I also like the approach but it makes me wonder how many "mythological" creatures we are going to see. Minotaurs and centaurs are rather easy to explain but Hydra, Cerberus or Gorgon will be not.

Shot in the dark, but I could see "Cerberus" being some sort of elite, heavy infantry unit with helmets in the shape of hounds' heads that cause fear, the "Gorgon" could be some kind of kind of all-female unit with poisoned weapons, The "Hydra" could maybe be a ranged hero unit or something. I wouldn't worry too much about it, CA have shown they can be a real creative bunch when they let their imaginations go wild, so I'm fairly sure we'll see more plenty of mythological creatures in some form or another.
    RafSwi7 said:

As someone who had not played 3K yet, can you explain how this mechanic work in 3K?

I also hope, that we will see some spawnable threats like Normans in ToB or Chaos in Warhammer. In Troy they can show Sea People and Dorian invasions.

In 3K, the player would eventually reach a point where their faction was large enough to be considered a Kingdom, and you could declare yourself the Emperor of a new dynasty. Once you did this however, the two other most powerful or largest factions on the map would also declare themselves as rival Emperors of their own kingdoms. The player would then have to depose the 2 rival Emperors either by capturing their capitals or forcing them to abdicate via diplomacy.
    It was a great change because it gave the player goals to complete instead of just aimlessly wandering conquering settlement after settlement in the late-game.
    RafSwi7 said:

In 3K, the player would eventually reach a point where their faction was large enough to be considered a Kingdom, and you could declare yourself the Emperor of a new dynasty. Once you did this however, the two other most powerful or largest factions on the map would also declare themselves as rival Emperors of their own kingdoms. The player would then have to depose the 2 rival Emperors either by capturing their capitals or forcing them to abdicate via diplomacy.
    It was a great change because it gave the player goals to complete instead of just aimlessly wandering conquering settlement after settlement in the late-game.

Thanks for info. I does sound to be a great mechanic for 3K. We can only wonder how it will play out in Troy, considering that there will be only one "boss".

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Posts: 3,037Registered Users
    You deserve a high five or something.

I think the approach they have taken is rather lame though.
    I'd of rather had full fantasy instead of a mishmash.
    We've already got guys that are immune to flanking, that might as well be fantasy :lol:

When you hear Minotaur and instead get a guy in a furry costume, it could be a little disappointing.
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users

... CA have shown they can be a real creative bunch ...

A real ... creative assembly?
    tak22 said:

... CA have shown they can be a real creative bunch ...

A real ... creative assembly?

From gamereactor interview:

- Homer is an advisor in Troy. He also narrates story events in the game.
    - There will be epic heroes (faction leaders like Achilles or Hector) and common heroes (which often are minor characters from Iliad). Unlike epic heroes, common heroes can be killed.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2