Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Hypothetical 40k total war: what races would you like to see at launch?

Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 829Registered Users
edited October 13 in Total War General Chat
I would like to see Imperial guard, Necrons, Space Marines and Chaos.

I think that the imperium should be handled like Battlefleet Gothic does: the imperium player has access to all the Imperium's units: Imperial guard, Space Marines, Mechanics etc, however the player can't mix units coming from different races.
I think that imperium at launch can be limited to imperial guard and space marines, the other branches can come later as a DLC.

What races would you like to see at launch?
What about characters?

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,727Registered Users
    Astartes, Astra Militarum, Orks and Heretic Astartes.

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 6,506Registered Users
    You mean CAs secret project? Ooooh one could but hope.

Doesn’t matter really. They could have any race in game. Just make the game good and do a TWW and include all races eventually.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • KroozaNobKroozaNob Posts: 61Registered Users
    Even if it will definitely sound heretical, I'd say
    Imperial guard, elder, greenskins and chaos.

Big missing player being astartes, which would have to be the first dlc post launch.

Why so? Because the imperium first and foremost is managed by the navy and guard. Letting the player control it via only the adeptus astartes would be totally out of place.

Besides, this way they could be more fleshed out as separate content, with each chapter with more unique flavour and play styles.

One condition though, they will have to be the first POST launch race, not like chaos was for warhammer 1.

Besides, with all the different sub factions for the above mentioned races there would be already plenty of content in the meantime.
  • ErgiosErgios Posts: 157Registered Users
    I think the best starter races would be the ones used in the first Dawn of War:
    - Space Marines
    - Eldar
    - Orks
    - Chaos

I like Imperial Guard, especially much, MUCH more than Eldar, but that way you have potential for conflict on all sides without having to make Imperials fight each other if you choose these three.
    I'd choose Space Marines over Imperial Guard for the launch and have Imperial guard as DLC (not at launch ofc) though the other way around works too.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,225Registered Users
    Ergios said:

I think the best starter races would be the ones used in the first Dawn of War:
    - Space Marines
    - Eldar
    - Orks
    - Chaos

I like Imperial Guard, especially much, MUCH more than Eldar, but that way you have potential for conflict on all sides without having to make Imperials fight each other if you choose these three.
    I'd choose Space Marines over Imperial Guard for the launch and have Imperial guard as DLC (not at launch ofc) though the other way around works too.

This. Can't see anything but the four Dawn of War starters. My T'au boys are likely to be DLC.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,530Registered Users
    -Khorne
    -Nurgle
    -Slaanesh
    -dunno, maybe Squats
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • summertimelovinsummertimelovin Posts: 181Registered Users
    The Eldar and their dark kin. The Dark Eldar are so underepresented in video games.

Vect, Urien, Lelith for the Deldar with maybe Sliscus as a future addition.

Eldrad, Yriel, Illic for the Eldar. Would be cool to have the phoenix lords in some capacity.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,587Registered Users
    Realistically:

Space Marines
    0rks
    Craftworld Eldar ("Aeldari" as they're called now).

and most like Chaos Space Marines, or possibly Imperial Guard or Tyranids.

Most of the rest of the Imperial factions (Sister of Battle, Adeptus Mechanicus, etc.) are cool, but probably not crowd-pleasers at lauch. Similarly, other alien factions, like Dark Eldar, or Tau are probably also not what people what to see at launch. I put up the Imperial guard and Tyranids mostly because they are sufficiently unique from the three others I put up at launch.

This does look a lot like the launch factions of Dawn of War, of course, because, let's be honest, they made fairly logical choices.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,073Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to General Chat with all the other speculation on future games.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 829Registered Users
    @RikRiorik is that a joke or does CA really have a secret project yet to be revealed?

@KroozaNob yeah, I would love each chapter and traitor Legion to feel different too. However, I think that a 40k game without space Marines just wouldn't feel right. You're right that Imperial guard should be there from launch, because an imperium that relies only on Marines just doesn't feel right.
  • DarkLordOfDarknessDarkLordOfDarkness Posts: 207Registered Users
    I wouldn't like to see tww 40k
    C'mon bring the hate on me

Putting up best Rogal Dorn impression

"No"
    @Aram_thehead . Yeah it was in a blogpost a fair while back.
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
    RikRiorik said:

Source pls?
    Because that would be a pretty big piece of speculation people would be discussing since waaaay long if it were the case.

The fact this is not yet a thing, makes me think you over thought some statement not related whatsoever to 40k.
    KroozaNob said:

RikRiorik said:

Source pls?
    Because that would be a pretty big piece of speculation people would be discussing since waaaay long if it were the case.

The fact this is not yet a thing, makes me think you over thought some statement not related whatsoever to 40k.
    I’ll try and find it. Don’t pin any statement about it being about 40k on me though. I was just doing a but of stary eyed hoping in jest.
    It was here:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-february-2019/

But reading it again seeing as it is under the Access Team I’d be amazed if it was anything big.

And again. I wasn’t saying it was Warhammer 40k.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users

I agree, I don't see it working. Closest that is practical is the risk like campaign map of DoW1 with RTS base building in battles.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,140Registered Users
    As crazy as it sounds 40000 is more popular than WH:Fantasy and considering CA have a number of ex GW guys on the payroll I suspect they are looking at ways to implement the 40000 universe. IS and M&Cs have already released a video on why WH:40000 could work and it's pretty convincing.
    Oh I think CA could make an amazing 40k game, they have shown they've got the ability to make great games. But it doesn't fit TW. Would have to change so much of both TW and 40k that it doesn't feel like either.
    Commisar said:

Oh I think CA could make an amazing 40k game, they have shown they've got the ability to make great games. But it doesn't fit TW. Would have to change so much of both TW and 40k that it doesn't feel like either.

That's the beauty of being a larger company. They can still create core historical games, but they can now afford to take a chance and try something different. Each planet could represent ground battles while the strategic areas around the planets could involve ship battles. Failing that they could base it on a single planet with limited resources. There's so many ways they can do it. Not forgetting, because of its TT routes the ranges can be similar to Empire and FotS.

CA already stated that they will build a strong relationship with GW and go on beyond WH3. I didn't like the idea at first but I'm warming to it.

Commisar said:

CA already stated that they will build a strong relationship with GW and go on beyond WH3. I didn't like the idea at first but I'm warming to it.
    When did they say that? I don't want to get my hopes too high.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,727Registered Users
    An AoS game is frankly more likely than a 40k adaption.

yeah @Ephraim_Dalton it's more likely, you're right on this. However, that's not the point of the discussion. I simply wanted to hear what people want in an hypothetical 40k Total War.

An AoS game is frankly more likely than a 40k adaption.

I was thinking that but in a sense it would just be too similar to this one, 40000 is more popular and could take the series in a different direction, while still being able to continue with things like 3K and M3 (maybe).

After watching the story in the WH Martyr game I think it could be really good. Plus the video by the Youtubers made a pretty good case for it.

That's the beauty of being a larger company. They can still create core historical games, but they can now afford to take a chance and try something different. Each planet could represent ground battles while the strategic areas around the planets could involve ship battles. Failing that they could base it on a single planet with limited resources. There's so many ways they can do it. Not forgetting, because of its TT routes the ranges can be similar to Empire and FotS.

Which is why I said they could do a great game in another style. They did quite possibly the best Alien based game released so far.

Still don't see it working or fitting with all the lore and differences. There's also issues with rights, some claim no naval units in WHF because that's sold to another company, there's a 40k ship based game out already so likely lose that. Sega already owns a ground based tactical series set in 40k.
    Commisar said:

Which is why I said they could do a great game in another style. They did quite possibly the best Alien based game released so far.

Still don't see it working or fitting with all the lore and differences. There's also issues with rights, some claim no naval units in WHF because that's sold to another company, there's a 40k ship based game out already so likely lose that. Sega already owns a ground based tactical series set in 40k.
    I'd say it's pretty easy. The space areas act as sea battles and the planets play as land battles. The map system would be more complex but that doesn't change the fundamentals of the game. Due to WH:40000s TT tradition it will act more like a gunpowder based TW game. Just because 1 section gets highly tweaked doesn't mean it will turn it into a totally different game. You'll still build cities, upgrade tech, expand your empire while battling on a map.

CA announced that there was no issues with unit rights, it was the simple reason, ship based combat is a lot of work for little reward. GW gives its rights to a number of companies and no one has ever mentioned about GW giving exclusive rights to ground units to some and naval units to others. Yes, Sega have rights to WH:40000 which is a good sign for a future TW:40000 game.

I'd say it's pretty easy. The space areas act as sea battles and the planets play as land battles. The map system would be more complex but that doesn't change the fundamentals of the game. Due to WH:40000s TT tradition it will act more like a gunpowder based TW game. Just because 1 section gets highly tweaked doesn't mean it will turn it into a totally different game. You'll still build cities, upgrade tech, expand your empire while battling on a map.

CA announced that there was no issues with unit rights, it was the simple reason, ship based combat is a lot of work for little reward. GW gives its rights to a number of companies and no one has ever mentioned about GW giving exclusive rights to ground units to some and naval units to others. Yes, Sega have rights to WH:40000 which is a good sign for a future TW:40000 game.

Only if you don't think of the Lore of the game world or want a grand scale game.

They already have ship combat worked out so that's not it and went with the work around of making the island battles.

No, it's a bad sign for it. If SEGA wants a 40k game they have a company to make it and after the recent results of it, that's not likely to happen. Hell they have the rights to Alien games, made the best received one and haven't expanded upon it.

Commisar said:

Only if you don't think of the Lore of the game world or want a grand scale game.

They already have ship combat worked out so that's not it and went with the work around of making the island battles.

No, it's a bad sign for it. If SEGA wants a 40k game they have a company to make it and after the recent results of it, that's not likely to happen. Hell they have the rights to Alien games, made the best received one and haven't expanded upon it.

You're looking at the lore in too much detail or thinking CA cannot change it to suit a particular game style. CA have always been happy enough to change lore and mechanics to suit the game in hand.

No, CA always said that they had no intention of adding naval combat to the WH or current games. Not popular enough to justify the work involved.

Just because one game didn't work out for Sega doesn't make it true for a future TW game. Sega's WH:40000 was a fail because it lost its core game mechanics, it doesn't say anything about how well a TW game would do.

You're looking at the lore in too much detail or thinking CA cannot change it to suit a particular game style. CA have always been happy enough to change lore and mechanics to suit the game in hand.

No, CA always said that they had no intention of adding naval combat to the WH or current games. Not popular enough to justify the work involved.

Just because one game didn't work out for Sega doesn't make it true for a future TW game. Sega's WH:40000 was a fail because it lost its core game mechanics, it doesn't say anything about how well a TW game would do.

They have in history, that is allowed. Changing another companies IP is very different.

If that is too expensive than space combat will be. They had a working basis for naval combat for warhammer, they have none for space and no sign people will be drawn to play it.

No, it doesn't. But a game which made huge changes to the series and then flopped, does mean doing the same but with a studio that's doing really well is counter productive. Again if they really want to do another 40K game, they have a studio that's won awards for it previously.
    Commisar said:

They have in history, that is allowed. Changing another companies IP is very different.

If that is too expensive than space combat will be. They had a working basis for naval combat for warhammer, they have none for space and no sign people will be drawn to play it.

No, it doesn't. But a game which made huge changes to the series and then flopped, does mean doing the same but with a studio that's doing really well is counter productive. Again if they really want to do another 40K game, they have a studio that's won awards for it previously.
    They can change WH as long as it helps with gameplay, which GW has allowed CA to do many times.

Space combat, although similar maybe better than naval combat due to ship tech and speed. The basic syStem could be based on gfa2.

It’s not enough to argue it may not work. I’m saying there’s a chance CA will do a 40000k game in the future, mostly due to the fact they can try new things outside the core historical games. The fact is CA have a premium model strategy game that can be expanded upon. There’s no one on this site, beyond CA members who can possibly confirm whether they do it or not.