Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Possible FLC for the High Elves, your potential candidates.

SIRUNKLYDUNKSIRUNKLYDUNK Posts: 96Registered Users
With the fact that the next DLC will likely be Dark Elves vs Skaven, The High Elves would have been the race to have gone the longest without any new content since The Queen and The Crone. Assuming that the FLC lord going along with the next lord pack won't be a High Elf, this makes it a very long drought for High Elf fans. This drought will likely end with the probable arrival of Eltharion the Grim vs. Grom the Paunch, but that still asks the question. Who would make a good FLC to go along with this? Keep in mind that when making FLC, CA considers characters who are well known enough to be candidates but not major enough that they'd need their own major pack to expand them. They'd need to base their campaigns off units already in the base game, and they need to be fairly cheap to make since they're being handed out for free. For this, I'll assume Eltharion won't be in due to his probable rivalry with Grom, and Korihil is gone due to Alastar filling the role he'd likely have. With that, in no particular order, here are the most likely candidates.

Prince Imrik:

Prince Imrik is the current ruler of the Kingdom of Caledor, one of the last descendants of Phoenix King Caledor the Conqueror and the greatest living Dragon Prince. - Warhammer Wiki

The most obvious arguement for putting Imrik in as FLC is.....well, dragons. He'd be a lord who would likely give buffs and upkeep reductions to Dragon Princes and Dragon units. Given that these are some of the most popular units the Asur have, it's no wonder he's is one of the most popular choices. Battle wise he'd likely be focused on monster slaying, using his Star Lance with massive armor piercing and Dragon Minaithnir to dumpster any monster they run into. This would make him a very interesting option. He wasn't in the 8th edition High Elf army book, but to be fair Nakai, Helman Ghorst, Alberic and several others weren't there either, so it's not like this seals his fate.

My only concern would be, where the heck would CA put him? Of course the obvious answer would be Caledor, but there are some issues with geography in that regard. First of, if he starts in Vaul's Anvil in Caledor, he'd be starting right on a ritual resource site. Unless they plan on making his campaign so hard he needs it or plan on moving it, I don't think he is going to start there. Not only is it also right next to Lothern, but Caldedor starts at war with Noctilus. Unless there is a thematic reason, such as a lord pack, CA generally avoids having Legendary Lords fighting on turn 1. So lorewise, where could we put him that makes sense? These may need to be addressed.

Aislinn the Sea Lord

The current Sea Lord, Aislinn, is a phenomenal tactician and implacable foe. Under his control the High Elf fleet has gained scores of impressive victories. While none question his successes, it has been noted that Lord Aislinn carries out his duties with ruthless enthusiasm and an air of viciousness that many in the courts of Ulthuan find distasteful. Indeed, Finubar himself has made note that not even the counsel of a king will sway Aislinn's thoughts once his mind is made up. - Warhammer Wiki

The High Elf equivalent to Lokhir Fellhart, and like Fellhart, he has a lot of potential for a unique High Elf experience (Though some of that was a bit wasted with old Squidboy.) He'd be a maritime Elf who focuses on sea travel, likely gaining bonuses to sea travel and leadership when fighting at sea. He may also have the Vampire Coast ship mechanic or a downgraded version, though I'd imagine they'd have to give one to Fellhart too. In fact, the fact that Fellhart is in the game could give him an edge, given CA could set up a rivalry in game between them. In my mind the best arguement for this guy is, as a naval commander, you can put him pretty much anywhere and you can justify it. I imagine the Sea of Dread in the Southlans would make a damn good location for a maritime based High Elf Lord.

His biggest drawback would be his unit of focus, Lothern Sea Guard, may not be all that enticing of a focus for a campaign, given High Elf players tend to spam them anyway. It'd make them easier to spam, but you aren't really encouraging new play styles or tactics with him. Combat wise, he also may be a bit disappointing. I'd imagine he'd just be a buffed Lothern Sea Guard and fight like Wulfhart of Alith Anar only having an Anti Large bonus in melee. While his outward campaign may be interesting, his battlefield uses might be underwhelming compared to our other options.

Caradryan

Caradryan is the present day Captain of the Phoenix Guard, and wielder of the Phoenix Blade. This ancient flame-wreathed weapon was enchanted for Kor-Baelon, the first Captain of said-ancient order.

You like Phoenixes? Caradryan will give you your Phoenixes. His campaign would focus on Phoenix Guard and Phoenix units as you go and conquer the world in the name of Asuryan. This could make for a very fun thematic army, that might get a bit of a push due to Age of Sigmar. For those of you who don't know, Age of Sigmar recently released an army book for the Cities of Sigmar, that focuses on the cities who fight for the side of order. One of these cities happens to specialized in these units, so there is a slight chance GW might nudge CA to release something related in an attempt to bump up model sales. Caradryn would also likely be the cheapest lord to make since he doesn't need a voice actor. Since he's mute, you save a lot of money on a model that wouldn't be too expensive anyway. He also might be give incentive to buff up The High Elf's generic lord choice if Annointed of Asuryan are released with him. High Elves desperately need new generic lord options, and since Arch Mages will likely be DLC, these guys might fill that gap.

His biggest downside, like Imrik, is where to justify putting him since he's normally stationed in the Shrine of Asuryan, right next to Tyrion. CA would have to get more inventive than that, also him being mute may proved to be awkward in the cinematic moments of the Vortex Campaign, since he'd just be standing there saying nothing during quest battles, the opening or the final fight where the other generals have their speeches. This may prove to be a bit awkward.

These are, I feel, the most likely candidates for a High Elf FLC lord. WHo do you think will make it?

Comments

• FritzFritz Posts: 8Registered Users
    They have already confirmed....not skaven.
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,722Registered Users
    Fritz said:

They have already confirmed....not skaven.

They confirmed the FLC Lord wasn't Skaven.

Doesn't mean the Skaven aren't one of the races in the upcoming pack, just that they might be the one only getting the one Lord.

If you want a longshot HE Lord, Princess Eldyra of Tiranoc.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
    Oh, misunderstood then

That comment was for FLC only?
  • DEM0N_LLAMADEM0N_LLAMA Posts: 533Registered Users
    Fritz said:

Yes
  • LabriaLabria Posts: 583Registered Users
    Korhil is similar to Boris or Red Duke. CA just need rename Alastar the white lion a move him to Chrace. It will be nice to have High Elves campaign focus to White Lions.

I prefer Sea Lord Aislinn with dragon mount and Vampire Coast horde system. He can start in Fortress of Dawn for Vortex, you can go to Southlands or Lustria. B)

I see only one problem. Where he will start in Mortal Empires? High Elves have only two colonies in Mortal Empires. Both already have own Legendary Lord.

Maybe CA will add Fortress of Dawn to Mortal Empires between Lustria and Southlands, they already make crazy thing with Tiktaq'to in Araby. :D
  • RiskafishRiskafish Posts: 452Registered Users
    I would be tempted to Karhil, Captain of the White Lion. He is a 8th edition character.

Fairly Unique Mount
    Karhil has the option of being mounted on a chariot pulled by white lions which is very different than most other lords, he could also be a somewhat cheaper/weaker option then Tyrion on foot. I don't think any other unit buffs white liosn either so he could buff white lions and white lion chariots.

Starting Locations
    Karhil travelled with Finubar the seafarer who has made multiple trips to the old world, as such he has a good amount of options for starting locations.

Sales
    When Tictactoe was the FLC they put a unit associated with him (ripperdactyls) in the DLC to help sales. The high elves are missing 2 8th edition units which are Skycutters and White Lions of Chrace. Adding Karhil but locking his asscoaited unit behind a paywall might help boost sales like in The Prophet and the Warlock

Fritz said:

Aye. It doesn't confirm them in-game either, just tells us the FLC Lord is definitely not one of them.

Which does lead to a bit of a conundrum, as if there's only one more Lord Pack atfer the Christmas one and it's High Elves and Greenskins, the Skaven will have 5 LL's to everyone else's 6.

It's that which leads me to think there's a flaw in the forum's wisdom, tbh.
    Arsenic said:

Fritz said:

Aye. It doesn't confirm them in-game either, just tells us the FLC Lord is definitely not one of them.

Which does lead to a bit of a conundrum, as if there's only one more Lord Pack atfer the Christmas one and it's High Elves and Greenskins, the Skaven will have 5 LL's to everyone else's 6.

CA never said the lord pack pack with the greenskin overhaul is last one, just that overhaul was gonna be next year with another LP. So there could still be more after. You also have to think of the preorder DLC. Norsca was for game 1 and what ever happens for game 3 preorder might be for game 2. So Skaven6th LL could be part of that

CA never said the lord pack pack with the greenskin overhaul is last one, just that overhaul was gonna be next year with another LP. So there could still be more after. You also have to think of the preorder DLC. Norsca was for game 1 and what ever happens for game 3 preorder might be for game 2. So Skaven6th LL could be part of that

Maybe.

Or maybe the next two Lord Packs both feature the Skaven as the adversary, with the DE and HE getting the FLC Lord, rounding up everyone nicely to 6.

We'll all see soon enough, I guess. Makes for some interesting speculation in the meantime.
    Arsenic said:

Maybe.

Or maybe the next two Lord Packs both feature the Skaven as the adversary, with the DE and HE getting the FLC Lord, rounding up everyone nicely to 6.

We'll all see soon enough, I guess. Makes for some interesting speculation in the meantime.
    Exactly, even that could happen. All we know for sure LP for festag and no SKaven FLC LL and LP next year with Greenskin overhaul.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 6,087Registered Users
    Regarding Imrik: His 8E fluff has him traveling across the world. He could go basically anywhere.

Aislinn I've generally regarded as a "DLC or bust" LL. Skycutters would be associated with him, every reference to High Elves controlling Merwyrms in the fluff is related to him, and he might even be able to have other unique units out of the Sea Patrol list available only to him. With the backlash previously when a FLC LL was associated with DLC units, I wouldn't expect Aislinn to come as DLC.
    Arsenic said:

Fritz said:

It might well be planned for skaven to stay at 5LL for game 2, with Thanquol to come in game 3.
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 2,048Registered Users
    Farseer Macha
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • YitterbumYitterbum Posts: 206Registered Users

Arsenic said:

Fritz said:

There's also events like Skulls for the Skull Throne which brought in the amethyst wizard. It wouldn't be that difficult to throw Deathmaster Snikch in an event like that.

Something tells me that Thanquol will be released in a similar fashion to the White Dwarf and Gotrek and Felix for game 3 if Malus makes it into game 2.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,363Registered Users, Moderators
    Korhil could come.

Personally? I'd go for Aislinn myself. I know, that's weird, but I have weird tastes. He'd be fun. Like an anti-Lokhir.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • YitterbumYitterbum Posts: 206Registered Users
    I'm leaning towards Korhil due to the fact that the High Elves have yet to have one of their 8th edition heroes be made into a LL like the other game 2 races.

Aislinn would be the runner up considering that he is a essentially a Lothern Seahelm which we have yet to see in game.
    Yitterbum said:

I'm leaning towards Korhil due to the fact that the High Elves have yet to have one of their 8th edition heroes be made into a LL like the other game 2 races.

Aislinn would be the runner up considering that he is a essentially a Lothern Seahelm which we have yet to see in game.

Personally, I consider that to be a factor of "why implement a hero when there are so many actual lords to choose from?"

I don't think we're ever likely to see Lothern Seahelms in-game. High Elves already have more hero options than most races, there are better options for generic lords, and the Seahelm would overlap a lot with the Princess and Handmaiden.

• AeneAene Posts: 88Registered Users
    Eltharion. The blind.
  • AzurianAzurian Posts: 856Registered Users
    I have a friend. An avid Kaledorets (no, this is not the one you thought about), he doesn’t even want to hear about Korhil. I will tell you honestly what I would like perfectly.
    1. The legendary Lord Korhil
    2. The chariot of white lions
    3. A flock of wild white lions as in the Storm of magic.
    4. Warriors of the White Lions superior to the original and more similar to the desktop, equal in strength to the sword masters but with a wild AP

Yes i'm a fan of chrace

Azurian said:

4. Warriors of the White Lions superior to the original and more similar to the desktop, equal in strength to the sword masters but with a wild AP

Yes i'm a fan of chrace

Honestly, if one was to implement tabletop White Lions, they'd probably be more akin to offensive Phoenix Guard and be monster-killers. They were pretty much always the best anti-monster infantry the High Elves had access to due to having S6 and, in 5th edition, inflicting D3 wounds per unsaved wound. (5E also gave them special abilities when charging or receiving charges, but the idea behind these abilities probably got folded into SoA in 7E).

Interestingly, the White Lions ingame seem to be based on the 6E models rather than the 8E models, so if a more tabletop-accurate variant was to be introduced, they could be based on the 8E models to make them more visually distinct.
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users
    Really interesting Post by the OP

As much as i would love CA to do the calador dragon themed Lord i think it is very unlikely that they will. Adding more buffs to dragons would be almost impossible from a balancing perspective they allready are considered to be probably the most powerful units in the game.

• ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,075Registered Users
    I really want Sealord Aislinn, he could get a 50% upkeep bonus for Lothern Seaguard. I mean look at Gor-Rok, his bonus is also just an upkeep reduction for Saurus, nothing special but helpful.
    He should also get a Seahelm Lord option, basically a Mini version of him.

He should get access to ship building and should be playable like the Vampire Coast. Would be really fun!
  • SteamageSteamage Posts: 396Registered Users
    ArneSo said:

I really want Sealord Aislinn, he could get a 50% upkeep bonus for Lothern Seaguard. I mean look at Gor-Rok, his bonus is also just an upkeep reduction for Saurus, nothing special but helpful.
    He should also get a Seahelm Lord option, basically a Mini version of him.

He should get access to ship building and should be playable like the Vampire Coast. Would be really fun!

I mean, that would be so epic!

And it wold be cool if he give bonus of merwyrm, i mean why not?

Tic-tag-to have buff of ripperdatclye
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,592Registered Users
    edited October 22
    Eltharion the Grim. He would make a fine FLC addition. Yvresse has little to no potential. It doesn't come with new units. An ideal candidate for the format.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• CrossilCrossil Posts: 5,008Registered Users
    Now I want Korhil because I had enough of this Alastar nonsense.

An LL and a faction focused on White Lions is MUCH more than 1 character. The later CANNOT disqualify the former.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT