Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Forgotten High Elf Character

AzurianAzurian Posts: 724Registered Users
Despite the fact that we remember Rakart, digging it up in the 5th edition, it is strange that the fans of the high elves forgot their character. His name has never sounded in the last month. Meet Belannaer, lore master of Hoet.

Given the need for the introduction of the Archmages, it may become an interesting version of the Lord's FLC.

Tagged:

Comments

• KelefaneKelefane Posts: 1,331Registered Users
    Bottom of the barrel scrapping I see.

• CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,134Registered Users, Moderators
    He's yet another mage lord.

Also, he's outclassed by Teclis.

I can't see him being a DLC lord. Even a FLC Lord. There are just too many other options. I'd even rather see Korhil, Aislinn, The Asuryan Guy, and Imrik before him... though I'd obviously most prefer Eltharion.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • OdTengriOdTengri Posts: 3,157Registered Users
    If were listing obscure Characters I'd like to throw in Naieth the Prophetess for the Wood Elves 4th LL after Ariel.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Naieth
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

• DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 5,851Registered Users
    It's mostly a matter of the High Elves having so many other candidates.

Rakarth as a proposition is a combination of the following considerations:

1) Beastmaster versus Beastmaster rivalry potential with Throt.

2) Connection to missing Dark Elf units.

3) Beastmaster theme, an aspect of the Dark Elves not currently represented by a LL

4) Perception of a lack of other good candidates.

(Let's not have yet another argument on how strong these points actually are, I'm just bringing them up here to set the stage for what I'm about to say next).

Belannaer... really doesn't have any of these points:

He has no established rivalries, nor much scope for a potential rivalry apart from a clash of opposing schools of magic, or maybe a Swordmasters versus Pleasure Cults clash. His theme was "powerful mage who is also good enough with a sword to train Swordmasters" (he was Eltharion's teacher in the retconned Eltharion the Blind arc), but Teclis already has the White Tower theme, and Eltharion has the better claim to being the High Elf hybrid LL. Arguably he does have a link with Archmages, but... most of the remaining High Elf LL candidates do as well.

His name has come up, but between him being a character that I don't think has been mentioned at all since the Storm of Chaos retcon, and his themes overlapping so strongly with Teclis and Eltharion, I don't think he's on anyone's top three list.
  • thorntk421thorntk421 Posts: 39Registered Users
    That's why you use Mixus Legendary Lords mod along with the Recruit Legendary Lords mod. You can get the Legendary Lords like Belannaer, Korhil and Imrik. They are all very well done with special models, items and some unique skill lines.
    One of my must have mods.
  • AzurianAzurian Posts: 724Registered Users

That's why you use Mixus Legendary Lords mod along with the Recruit Legendary Lords mod. You can get the Legendary Lords like Belannaer, Korhil and Imrik. They are all very well done with special models, items and some unique skill lines.
    One of my must have mods.

I would rather be left without legendary lords at all than I will fall to similar mods.

• KallisteKalliste Posts: 75Registered Users
    As much as i would love to have him

ATM HE have
    - a fighter (Tyrion
    - a range (Alith Anar)
    - Offense Mage (Teclis)
    - defence Mage (Everqueen)

not sure if another mage would be good for a high elf army

the best 2 options are
    Imrik - HE would finally get a character on a monster and it's their iconic monster (dragon)
    Eltharion - can be a fighter / mage, also has a really good back story and has a good cross over with Orcs
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,536Registered Users
    Another mage? Meh...

We already have 2, HE need another melee LL
    ArneSo said:

Another mage? Meh...

We already have 2, HE need another melee LL

And there are enough Warriors.

edited October 22
    @Azurian

Tyrion is the only fighter and he is a foot lord more or less. Eltharion, Imrik or Aislinn are the best options.
    ArneSo said:

@Azurian

Tyrion is the only fighter and he is a foot lord more or less. Eltharion, Imrik or Aislinn are the best options.

Beat me to it. Tyrion is the only melee LL the High Elves have, he's limited to a horse as a mount, and he has the Duellist trait. There's definitely space for a melee-oriented Lord on a monster mount who can be good at throwing into units rather than being primarily about fighting characters and other single entities.

Eltharion, as a hybrid LL with a flying mount, and a melee LL with a monstrous mount (Imrik being the standout candidate, but not the only one) would be offering the greatest range in LL styles available.

Belannaer would essentially by a hybrid like Eltharion - if he was in 8E, in fact, he'd probably be a special character Loremaster of Hoeth. But he has less traction than Eltharion and doesn't have the mount options. (Strictly speaking, Eltharion is better at fighting while Belannaer is a better spellcaster, but TWW hasn't generally done a good job of representing different power levels between magic-using characters: all magic-users have the potential to become about as powerful as each other.)
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,561Registered Users
    edited October 22
    Nah, sorry. It's gonna be Eltharion for flying LL and Aislinn on Merwyrm mount(herald of Mathlann 'n' all) for ground based LL.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • LabriaLabria Posts: 511Registered Users
    I am not fan of Belannaer. We already have Teclis. What will make him interesting? We have at least four more interesting characters.
    If we get generic Archmage lord in future, Belannaer can be just generic Archmage lord in charge of Saphery. B)
  • brago90brago90 Posts: 254Registered Users
    Draxynnic said:

ArneSo said:

@Azurian

Beat me to it. Tyrion is the only melee LL the High Elves have, he's limited to a horse as a mount, and he has the Duellist trait. There's definitely space for a melee-oriented Lord on a monster mount who can be good at throwing into units rather than being primarily about fighting characters and other single entities.

Eltharion, as a hybrid LL with a flying mount, and a melee LL with a monstrous mount (Imrik being the standout candidate, but not the only one) would be offering the greatest range in LL styles available.

Belannaer would essentially by a hybrid like Eltharion - if he was in 8E, in fact, he'd probably be a special character Loremaster of Hoeth. But he has less traction than Eltharion and doesn't have the mount options. (Strictly speaking, Eltharion is better at fighting while Belannaer is a better spellcaster, but TWW hasn't generally done a good job of representing different power levels between magic-using characters: all magic-users have the potential to become about as powerful as each other.)
    Korhil riding a lion, for me it would be something interesting to see. And yes, I know that Korhil at the table never had mount but it would also be something interesting to see and it would make much more sense than having Lokhir with a dragon...
    Well a Lion is not more special than an eagle in my opinion. Would still be cool but HE really need a LL with a dragon. Compared to the DE, HE mounts for LLs really suck.
  • BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,736Registered Users
    @Maedrethnir where are you ?
    Its HE thread!! ;)

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• KandennKandenn Posts: 421Registered Users
    Belannaer is a weaker Teclis. He brings nothing to the game. If Ca wants to bring him, the followings characters have to come first :
    - Eltharion
    - Imrik
    - Aislinn
    - Korhil (LH)
    - Caradryan (LH)
    - Finubar (Even him would be more interesting than Belannaer).
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 3,869Registered Users
    So many better candidates. Imrik and Eltharion are obvious choices for the next LL, and to be honest I can’t decide which I’d rather have.

After that Aislinn would make for a cool addition with a vampire coast-esque seafaring horde mechanic.

Then you’ve got Korhil and Caradryan both of whom have at least cool lore if not immediately apparent mechanics.

And if we’re reaching past them, throw Finubar into the mix.

Belannaer is in my opinion, the least interesting option possible. Hard no bud.
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,592Registered Users
    Even in the fluff he's basically a slightly naffer Teclis.

Think the HE need another melee Lord, and one that can go against DE Lords on their flying mounts, so my vote goes to Imrik and Eltharion, in that order.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,309Registered Users
    Kalliste said:

As much as i would love to have him

ATM HE have
    - a fighter (Tyrion
    - a range (Alith Anar)
    - Offense Mage (Teclis)
    - defence Mage (Everqueen)

not sure if another mage would be good for a high elf army

the best 2 options are
    Imrik - HE would finally get a character on a monster and it's their iconic monster (dragon)
    Eltharion - can be a fighter / mage, also has a really good back story and has a good cross over with Orcs

Well said. I would add that Imrik's story too is quite good.

Arsenic said:

Even in the fluff he's basically a slightly naffer Teclis.

Think the HE need another melee Lord, and one that can go against DE Lords on their flying mounts, so my vote goes to Imrik and Eltharion, in that order.

That's how good priorities look like.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

brago90 said:

Draxynnic said:

ArneSo said:

@Azurian

Korhil riding a lion, for me it would be something interesting to see. And yes, I know that Korhil at the table never had mount but it would also be something interesting to see and it would make much more sense than having Lokhir with a dragon...
    Wouldn't be much different to Tyrion on the battlefield. Malhandir is a little inferior to a White Lion, but Korhil as a fighter is a lot interior to Tyrion.

Giving him a WLC would give him distinct behaviour, but putting him on something like a chariot breaks his identity as a bodyguard - you can't bodyguard someone while on a chariot.

Korhil is, really, legendary hero material. His fluff and, in past editions, his crunch are all about acting in the role of a bodyguard for Finubar or whichever general that Finubar has loaned his services to, not being a general himself.
    Draxynnic said:

brago90 said:

Draxynnic said:

ArneSo said:

@Azurian

Wouldn't be much different to Tyrion on the battlefield. Malhandir is a little inferior to a White Lion, but Korhil as a fighter is a lot interior to Tyrion.

Giving him a WLC would give him distinct behaviour, but putting him on something like a chariot breaks his identity as a bodyguard - you can't bodyguard someone while on a chariot.

Korhil is, really, legendary hero material. His fluff and, in past editions, his crunch are all about acting in the role of a bodyguard for Finubar or whichever general that Finubar has loaned his services to, not being a general himself.
    Please remind me, I forgot something, the lizards in the Dark Elf chariots attack the targets on their own? Well, in terms of animation, it seems to me that they behave like horses, stupid traction.

• KallisteKalliste Posts: 75Registered Users
    edited October 23

thanks will see if i can find it and read it
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,309Registered Users
    Kalliste said:

The End Times: Khaine, Sons of Ellyrion and the Curse of Khaine books. If you find more then tell me.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

Kalliste said:

The End Times: Khaine, Sons of Ellyrion and the Curse of Khaine books. If you find more then tell me.
    The end of time is an obscene heresy, which a person who has read sources on this world before him, and at least a little understanding of it, cannot perceive. Strongly do not advise.

edited October 28
    Kalliste said:

Do not listen to the traitor who likes how Imrik put the enemy on the throne. You don’t need to read the end of time.

Sons of Ellyrion still qualifies, however, as does the 8E army book and his appearances in the 5E and 6E army books.

I'd also note that while CA isn't using the End Times, there is the odd reference to elements from the End Times. One of those could easily be for Caledor Dragontamer to be communicating through Imrik in some fashion, except that instead of the communication being related to who the avatar of Asuryan actually is, it could be related to the maintenance of the Vortex.