Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Malus vs Thanquol

angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Posts: 1,085Registered Users
Rakarth (who)? vs Throt lord pack hype is strong, but let us discuss something else for this lord pack cause why not?
Soon

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 17,247Registered Users
    Generic vs Thanny, what's there to discuss? I'd suggest Generic's rival is himself so he wouldn't be facing Thanquol so much as both would be doing their own thing.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 3,240Registered Users

Generic vs Thanny, what's there to discuss? I'd suggest Generic's rival is himself so he wouldn't be facing Thanquol so much as both would be doing their own thing.

I dunno, a big bit of Malus' backstory is Malekith fears his growing power and sends him on suicide missions. Maybe Thanquol is up to some shenanigans and Malekith sends in Malus, hoping the mopey schmuck gets turned inside out by a Verminlord.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,325Registered Users
    Whatever comes I hope it’s good in units, mechanics and lords. But unless it’s a Lord for TWW1/is Thanquol/is exceedingly and most unexpectedly well made in a way tailor made for my tastes I’m not overly interested at this point.

But no matter what a Lord Pack with Malus and Thanquol sounds a lot more interesting to me than any of the other TWW2 Lords suggested.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 4,336Registered Users
    Beast theme is probably too obvious to pass up. Not that I think it's necessarily going to sell more, those two characters are decidedly not as well known as thanq and Mal, but from a development perspective it's probably easier to brainstorm good ideas with the beast theme in place
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,785Registered Users
    I could (of course) be wrong, but "a big fan favourite" seems to indicate only one. So I'd be very surprised if the two of them cropped up in a Lord Pack tomorrow.

But for the sake of argument...

Hmm...Malus and Thanquol are on the hunt for the same Daemonic artefacts, Mally to gain control over T'Zarkan, and Thanny to raise and summon a Verminlord and destroy the Council of 13 when he invades Skavenblight.

Thanquol has a "Favoured of the Horned Rat" mechanic, where the more battles he wins the more powerful his spells become, yet the likelihood of a Rogue Army led by Gotrek and Felix spawning increases too.

Malus..maybe something broadly similar, but with powerful Rogue Armies led by a Dark Elf for plausible deniability from Malekith?
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • LabriaLabria Posts: 608Registered Users
    If Throt and Clan Moulder will come in game 3, Malus vs Thanquol is possible for next Lord pack. Both can have own story and ignore vortex mechanic like Nakai.

Thanquol can have Verminlord, Stormfiends and others missing non-moulder units. Malus can have Master hero, Bloodwrack Medusa, Bloodwarck Shrine and new units from CA.
    CA can keep Rakarth, High Beastmaster, Scourgerunner Chariot and 1-2 new monsters for one more Dark Elves Lord pack in game 3. Maybe Rakarth vs Ogres. >:)
    I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me
    Dwarfs need some love: https://i.redd.it/2oap9x2525l31.png
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 3,240Registered Users
    Arsenic said:

I could (of course) be wrong, but "a big fan favourite" seems to indicate only one. So I'd be very surprised if the two of them cropped up in a Lord Pack tomorrow.

But for the sake of argument...

Hmm...Malus and Thanquol are on the hunt for the same Daemonic artefacts, Mally to gain control over T'Zarkan, and Thanny to raise and summon a Verminlord and destroy the Council of 13 when he invades Skavenblight.

Thanquol has a "Favoured of the Horned Rat" mechanic, where the more battles he wins the more powerful his spells become, yet the likelihood of a Rogue Army led by Gotrek and Felix spawning increases too.

Malus..maybe something broadly similar, but with powerful Rogue Armies led by a Dark Elf for plausible deniability from Malekith?

I got it: they're fighting in the deserts of Nehekhara, searching for the lost Fellblade.

Malekith sent Malus after it because he heard of the curse that anybody who wields the blade is fated to die. Malus is hoping that, in searching through the ruins of the Tomb Kings for this ancient weapon he'll find other relics that can save his soul. Thanquol wants the blade because he found scraps of a ritual that indicates unbinding the spells that hold the weapon together will grant him great power (he conveniently ignores the scrap that appears to have part of a warning on it). Both of them doing this antagonizes the Tomb Kings, and Prince Apophas is sent forth from the underworld to punish them.

There's a special mechanic where as the two of them root around in the desert they increase the odds of Tomb King armies coming to attack them or Apophas trying to assassinate them, but both of them influence the same meter. So the bigger a threat one of them is at the moment that's who Apophas goes after, but that means if Malekith or Thanquol time their actions properly they can trick the insane scarab prince into going after their opponent.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,828Registered Users
    Would be heckuva lame rivalry. I want Throt and the Moulder masterpieces. Thanquol can go fail somewhere else for a while longer.

• FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,489Registered Users

Every time you call Malus generic, I've realized I subconsciously curl my toes in disgust :/
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 5,461Registered Users
    edited November 2019
    Despite all the mask arguments I've argued for, chances are Malus vs Thanquol is the way to go. Hellpit is in a prime position for game 3.

FLC LL is probs Dark Elf so temper your expactations, Draculasaurus.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Posts: 461Registered Users

Why you hate him so much, he is the best option for DE LL. Rakarth will come too and probably will be able to mount caribdys or something bigger.
    Crossil said:

Despite all the mask arguments I've argued for, chances are Malus vs Thanquol is the way to go. Hellpit is in a prime position for game 3.

Nope, Hellpit is right here, right now and would serve as a fine counterweight to Empire dominance.

If CA gets over themselves and fixes Skaven AR values which make them lose against armies one tenth their size.

• angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Posts: 1,085Registered Users

Crossil said:

Nope, Hellpit is right here, right now and would serve as a fine counterweight to Empire dominance.

If CA gets over themselves and fixes Skaven AR values which make them lose against armies one tenth their size.
    Hellpit is even closer to the game 3 map than Kislev, one of the races fans that is said that could be in game 3, Moulder could come in game 3
    Soon
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,325Registered Users
    As far as rivalries go it depends on what they implement. The only straight up rivalry we have in game (coming with Lord Packs) is Belegar vs Skarsnik. All the rest are engineered. Some well and some only in name. Malus and Thanquol or Throt and Rakarth. About equally uninteresting from the get go as far as rivalry goes.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Posts: 461Registered Users
    Throt would bring so much things I think theres no other option bit him.

*Good starting position
    *Monster army
    *Fat rat lord
    *Faction already in game
    *Good looking banner

• FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,489Registered Users

*Good starting position
    *Monster army
    *Fat rat lord
    *Faction already in game
    *Good looking banner

*One of the four major skaven clans
  • makar55makar55 Posts: 1,831Registered Users

*Good starting position
    *Monster army
    *Fat rat lord
    *Faction already in game
    *Good looking banner

And most importantly his faction will beat Kislev so Chaos invasion will spread further than borders of Kislev.
    edited November 2019

Crossil said:

Hellpit is even closer to the game 3 map than Kislev, one of the races fans that is said that could be in game 3, Moulder could come in game 3
    Who care about game 3 right now? Game 3 won't have crossover LPs for the first half a dozen content drops, so why should we wait for years to get additional game 2 content in game 3?

Nope, Moulder or bust. Thanquol is game 3 content if anything. Wouldn't mind if he came only then.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 17,247Registered Users
    @IamNotArobot I quite like him actually, though that's not particularly pertinent.

I dunno, a big bit of Malus' backstory is Malekith fears his growing power and sends him on suicide missions. Maybe Thanquol is up to some shenanigans and Malekith sends in Malus, hoping the mopey schmuck gets turned inside out by a Verminlord.

That's possible. Though that would be more about Malekith than Generic. I figure his beat chance is against the HE where he can build to a civil war against the other DE. Though I suppose that could work against Thanny if needed.

I tend to feel that because neither fit a theme and Thanny's rival is already in (with Malus being his own rival) that both are better FLC.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.

Ogres and Moulder
    Soon
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,391Registered Users
    Malus vs. Thanquol is an apt discussion. They both have the potential to be run of the mill and uninteresting if implemented poorly. We have dreadlords and grey seers in the game already... which breaks the trend of the last couple of DLC a bit.

However, they are characters who have heaps of story behind them. That could work to their advantage if CA put a real focus on story and mechanics in this DLC. Mind you, a lot of people seem far more interested in the next monstrous centrepiece in their armies rather than a more nuanced campaign... *sigh*
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 5,461Registered Users

Crossil said:

Who care about game 3 right now? Game 3 won't have crossover LPs for the first half a dozen content drops, so why should we wait for years to get additional game 2 content in game 3?

Nope, Moulder or bust. Thanquol is game 3 content if anything. Wouldn't mind if he came only then.
    So what? Is that something that would make any race be released with everything it possibly can get right now rather than whenever CA feels like doing them?

Thanquol is hinted to be in the New World when looking at the Skaven story on TW Access, in command of Clan Skurvy.

If Kislev's main territories are actually added to game 3 then Hellpit will physically be there as well. It makes no sense for Hellpit to be on game 3 map with Throt and not playable because he was game 2 DLC.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • KelefaneKelefane Posts: 1,553Registered Users

Malus vs. Thanquol is an apt discussion. They both have the potential to be run of the mill and uninteresting if implemented poorly. We have dreadlords and grey seers in the game already... which breaks the trend of the last couple of DLC a bit.

However, they are characters who have heaps of story behind them. That could work to their advantage if CA put a real focus on story and mechanics in this DLC. Mind you, a lot of people seem far more interested in the next monstrous centrepiece in their armies rather than a more nuanced campaign... *sigh*

Well the Medusa for example more or less finishes off the Dark Elf roster. Any unit beyond them is gravy.

• BardicInquisitionBardicInquisition Posts: 1,099Registered Users
    It's not going to be Moulder.

If CA is stupid it won't be Moulder. CA should not be stupid.

• LabriaLabria Posts: 608Registered Users
    edited November 2019

Stupid? I don't think so. We know nothing, all theory about clan moulder can be wrong. Skaven have more missing stuff, not only Clan Moulder and Throt the Unclean. Who expected Markus with archers, hunters and war wagons for Empire? :p
    I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me
    Dwarfs need some love: https://i.redd.it/2oap9x2525l31.png
  • ASyrianASyrian Posts: 274Registered Users

Crossil said:

Do you actually use the real unmoddex map?

In which Chaos driven dimension is the hellpit closer than Kislev?

Pls watch thr map to evade this embarassment.
    ASyrian said:

Crossil said:

Right there, close and near to the world edge mountains, where the ogres live
    Soon
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Posts: 472Registered Users

ASyrian said:

Crossil said:

Right there, close and near to the world edge mountains, where the ogres live
    Yes and no. It is near the Worlds Edge Mountains but no the ogres don't live there. They inhabit the Mountains of Mourn east of the Darklands. That means that almost the entire WH3 map will be between the OK and Worlds Edge Mountains.

On the topic, I'd be against it. I do think the time for internal WH2 packages is over and cross game stuff is preferable. Apart from that Grom vs Eltharion and a WH3 preorder race pack (2LL either Araby or DoW) would be a nice wrap up for game 2 by now. Leave all the remaining two and one races for WH3 DLC, making it a nice symmetrical 2 packs per title combination arrangement. Also both Skaven and DE elves fit the evil party that is the Darklands very well, be it Thanquol or Malus due to Chaos and Dark Magic or Throt and Rakarth for all the monstrosities living here. Also: No matter what it is, please no End-Times Atrocity Stormfiends. Keep Skryre and Moulder separate!!!
    Labria said:

Stupid? I don't think so. We know nothing, all theory about clan moulder can be wrong. Skaven have more missing stuff, not only Clan Moulder and Throt the Unclean. Who expected Markus with archers, hunters and war wagons for Empire? :p
    Moulder contributions are the most obvious gap in the Skaven roster. They wouldn't fit coming with Thanquol and Thanquol is really just a Grey Seer with a permanent bodyguard/mount all things considered. Throt is rat Dr Frankenstein. Way better gameplay opportunities.