Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The perfect final Map!

ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 10,513

Just found this map on reddit. In my opinion it would be the perfect map for the final combined campaign. The Warhammer World is so beautiful and amazing, it deserves to be represented in the best possible way.

Especially Kislev is represented extremely nice with lots of new regions. But yeah the whole map would be so much fun, with endless freedom to expand wherever you want.

Including the Southpole would also be perfect for a DoC start position.

Also the Game#3 only Part of the map would be interesting for a „vortex“ like campaign.

Here is the link if you want to take a closer look at it:
https://i.redd.it/w1jo0j09iox31.png

Your thoughts about it?

Comments

• IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 1,722
    Thats the perfect map. I really hope this is the final ME map.

They could generate DLCs for years! Cathay, Araby, DoW, Fish-people, etc.

Now prepare for the “I want faster turn times no bigger map” and “the map is already done and you can see the fog over darklands”
    Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!

Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo

Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!

• ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 10,513
    Let’s just don’t think about turn times again. Let us assume CA will fix that problem for the final combined map.

Just imagine to start as HE around the Gates of Galith. What a beautiful start position that would be.

With that map CA could make DLCs for decades. So many potential start positions for LPs and crossovers.

I really can’t stop looking over that map. It’s perfect.
    ArneSo said:

Let’s just don’t think about turn times again. Let us assume CA will fix that problem for the final combined map.

Just imagine to start as HE around the Gates of Galith. What a beautiful start position that would be.

With that map CA could make DLCs for decades. So many potential start positions for LPs and crossovers.

I really can’t stop looking over that map. It’s perfect.

Theres a place called Tower of Flies! sounds awesome. Also a place called Desolation. So many opportunities.

Tower of flies could male a good starting position for any kind of Nurgle faction.

I also saw a settlement called port of the old Worders in Cathay. Would be a nice DoW start position.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,162
    How many settlements are on that map?? What would be the scale in terms of turns for travel time.

I too like the geographic area represented, But if it’s too big/too much of a slog to walk across, literally NO ONE will take the time see it/explore it.

Heck, few players finish ME now as it is.

I like the SHAPE of your suggested map. But I’d prefer that shape with fewer regions and a shorter travel distance.

I’m NOT advocating for a bunch of empty space or only a handful of settlements. We can still be talking about 150-200ish settlements. Maybe even more. The settlement density can remain the same.... but that means fewer regions overall.

But there’s no way they can add that much geographic space, and keep the distance scale/settlement count the same as it is in ME now. If they did, we’d be looking at literally, a 500+ settlement map....... which honestly.... in the late game.... just won’t be fun to play.

Even WITH solid turn times. The last 400+ settlements would just be ‘autopilot cleanup’ for your unstoppable mega empire.

TL;DR: Same geography. Smaller settlement count, smaller map size to keep the settlement density engaging.
  • JycceJycce Registered Users Posts: 277
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 5,999
    Add the Realms of Chaos and it's even better.
    edited November 2019
    @Valkaar
    I don’t think it is to much honestly. Game 3 still needs to sell as a solo game, so the map needs to be on the same level like the vortex.

Also you don’t have to conquer the whole world every single time. Ever campaign should be different and you shouldn’t visit all places of the map during one campaign. Keep those regions for the next campaign. And the next. And the next.
    A gigantic world map like this would motivate me to play this game for 10 years if not longer.

With that map every faction would be unique.
    For example LM:

With Itza you conquer Lustria and the Southlands.

With The Last Defenders you Secure the Southlands and move East towards Ind and Kuresh to restore the lost Cities of the old ones.

2 similar factions but 2 completely different campaigns.

The same goes for other factions.

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 3,018
    I don't think any one will ever claim that they do not wish that this would be the final map. However, if you harbour even a shred of realism within you, then you know that this is simply too much.
    I think I just fell in love to a map ...
    @Jycce
    Same here! 😂
    I actually wanted to sleep since 1 hour, but now I‘m laying here in my bed staring at that beautiful and adorable masterpiece of a map.
    edited November 2019
    @ArneSo : I'm already roleplaying some of the possible starting locations. I got carried away (just a bit)😂
    edited November 2019
    Okay let’s do this step by step:

This will be the minimum we will get. The great Maw needs to be on the map and Ogres need their mountains of mourn.
    The problem here is that sea trade is not Possible because the oceans are not connected. That would be a huge disadvantage for all game 3 races and makes no sense gameplay wise.

So we need at least a map like this to get a really connected world with the option to reach one part of the map without walking over land.

And then it wouldn’t be a big deal to add the Far East as well. Of course some regions like Ind and Kuresh can be smaller. Nippon doesn’t need to be there at all or maybe just as a small province like Albion.
    But overall this will probably be the final map.
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,289
    Man that would be an awesome final map. Can just imagine getting Noctilus all the way to the chaos dwarfs coast or south of their empire anyways.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 2,543
    This map would be so freakin’ epic.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 8,059
    ArneSo said:

Okay let’s do this step by step:

This will be the minimum we will get. The great Maw needs to be on the map and Ogres need their mountains of mourn.
    The problem here is that sea trade is not Possible because the oceans are not connected. That would be a huge disadvantage for all game 3 races and makes no sense gameplay wise.

So we need at least a map like this to get a really connected world with the option to reach one part of the map without walking over land.

And then it wouldn’t be a big deal to add the Far East as well. Of course some regions like Ind and Kuresh can be smaller. Nippon doesn’t need to be there at all or maybe just as a small province like Albion.
    But overall this will probably be the final map.

I would note that with the first two maps, I could see CA distorting the Indish peninsula so that it goes off the map rather than poking into it. That would keep the first two maps mostly limited to territories controlled by races which had rules on the tabletop.

On the third map... if they do pull that off, there's a degree to which they might as well go all the way and make the map wrap around.
  • kitekazekitekaze Registered Users Posts: 290

Now prepare for the “I want faster turn times no bigger map” and “the map is already done and you can see the fog over darklands”

The problem was never C.A part, it's G.W.
    Can those faction be in? Can C.A invent them out of nothing? How long until Warhammer license is over? Only G.W can answer those questions.
    kitekaze said:

The problem was never C.A part, it's G.W.
    Can those faction be in? Can C.A invent them out of nothing? How long until Warhammer license is over? Only G.W can answer those questions.
    I bet they are discussing this things too

• bolero567bolero567 Registered Users Posts: 75
    edited November 2019
    Gorgeous map! Amazing what fans can do. I tried this map with a globe projection site maptoglobe.com

Extended the map a bit to fit:
    globe1
    globe2
    globe3
    globe4

Here's the slightly altered file if anyone wants to explore the 3d map with it: https://i.imgur.com/T4AUlx5.png

Ridiculous 50MB GIF version here: https://imgur.com/a/bdEY3Sn
  • MantrielMantriel Registered Users Posts: 31
    bolero567 said:

Gorgeous map! Amazing what fans can do. I tried this map with a globe projection site maptoglobe.com

globe1
    globe2
    globe3
    globe4

Here's the slightly altered file if anyone wants to explore the 3d map with it: https://i.imgur.com/T4AUlx5.png

This Globe thing is beautiful. It reminds me of the old "Dune 1" game.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,751
    That map would be awesome indeed. But it looks like it's doubling the size of the ME map more or less. Would we have any inkling of what turn times could look like on a map that size?

I am a Warhammer and TWW fanatic with an entirely adequate PC setup. I am willing to endure fairly long end turn times for a more complete map. But I doubt we should judge the majority of players on my example.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,505
    That is indeed a VERY nice map.
    - Lustria and Southlands are avaialable completly, with possibility of circumnavigation
    - More regions in Bretonnia, Estalia and Tilea make these areas more interesting.
    - Sunken lands and Isles of Lustria: possibility for Amazons
    - Cathay, Nippon, Ind are in, makes for some interesting new races beside Chaos and Ogres

I think there could be a few changes to make it even better:
    - There are 50 regions for Empire (including Sylvania). And around 50 for Darklands, and 50 for the mountain of Mourn. I think it may be too much. so the size of the added part could be reduced by maybe 20 to 25% (so with 35-40 regions instead of 50, I think it's more than sufficient).
    - Add a few travel points to move from the east side of the map and reappear on the west side a few turns later.
    - Quenelles is too big and coulb be split in 2, same for Bastonne (and thois would make 3 region provinces). Same for Averheim.
  • Lord of CinderLord of Cinder Registered Users Posts: 376
    This map would be awesome in theory and bad in practice. The reason why is that given that if you already control a single continent even today, you have pretty much won the game. The rest of the campaign is just a grind to murder-kill everything that opposes your elite doom stacks. Kinda boring.

The second reason are, of course, the turn times. I've seen a lot of players going for the Vortex campaign instead of ME and the reason why is obvious. Very few people would bother to play this huge new map to the very end and I can imagine waiting for as long as 5 minutes a turn with this monster. Why do this to yourself and the devs?

Include the Darklands, include more of the Chaos Wastes for Warhammer 3 and I will be happy. Cathay mind be good too if it is ever introduced. (And this is a possibility since everyone wants to sell in China)

Basically, include only the territories closely related to the newly introduced races and leave the rest. A few more minor factions reskins of the "main ones" won't be anything to cry about.
    The parts in the Far East could be smaller I agree. And it could also be less provinces in general.

Ind and Kuresh could be 2-3 provinces each. These regions could be filled with old races. Skaven, Wild Orcs, LM, Vampirates. HE have colonies there and even a WE faction could start there as well.

So just because these regions are part of the map doesn’t mean we need Cathay, Ind and so on.
    Cathay could be run over by Daemons or Skaven, or just also be filled with placeholders. It also doesn’t need to be that huge. On that map it has about 8 provinces, 4-5 would absolutely be enough in my opinion.

We just need to think about future content. There could be tons of crossover LPs adding more HE, DE, Empire, Skaven and even LM. But if we only get Dark Lands + Mountains of Mourn, we have the same problem like in Lustria again. To crowded and weird start positions squished together to make it somehow work.

That map would give us space and would also make factions like Tlaqua or last Defenders finally enjoyable.
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 601
    That map is absolutely perfect. For the Game 3 standalone map, I would like it to be Dark Lands to Nippon and Northern Chaos Wastes to Southern Chaos Wastes (with the campaign focused around the two Polar Gates). That would be the best option we could get. We get the rest of the world in and the most faction and terrain variety.

For Mortal Empires, that map is also perfect but I would not expect so much to make it so only reaching the Mountains of Mourn would be perfect for me (for now until gaming computers get more advanced).
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,493
    bolero567 said:

globe1
    globe2
    globe3
    globe4

While the globe is cool, it still doesn't really represent the warhammer world. While the map in this post looks good for gameplay purposes, it is horribly distorted to the point of making chaos spawn cry. Especially the old world is incredibly overscaled, and combined should not be much bigger than Ulthuan in area.

Of course, for gameplay purposes this is fine, otherwise the empire and bretonnia would have all the cities right next to each other.
  • ardeathwingardeathwing Registered Users Posts: 112
    edited November 2019
    If CA did not waste their time with this 1 year marvel called '3 kingdoms' they could have already done ind/nippon/ etc and finish the whole thing with darklands in the coming warhammer 3...or even split the title further into warhammer 3 and 4.

But no, we had to go the other way....
  • Lin_HuichiLin_Huichi Registered Users Posts: 445
    This map would be epic. Even after conquering a continent I'd still continue playing. ME has huge continental spanning wars already and this would take it up a notch.

Imagine a head to head as Dwarfs vs Dark elves.
  • DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 541
    I want this!!!
  • DEM0N_LLAMADEM0N_LLAMA Registered Users Posts: 585
    That would be pretty cool.
    Honestly I would just be happy if they extended the map south because Lustria and Southlands really got screwed over.