Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

"No DLC for DLC" Clarity

2»

Comments

• FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 2,672

CA already said the Festag DLC would not be a crossover DLC and would be limited to WH2 races.

Is the Empire a WH2 race now? Another Empire faction would be DLC for DLC?
    The Empire being playable in the Vortex neither makes it a game 2 race nor does it make it a DLC race
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Registered Users Posts: 2,427
    ArneSo said:

The problem here is that the Hunter and the Beast LP doesn’t make WH1 obsolete. A BM or WE LP Would make the original Race pack obsolete and worthless.

Why should I still buy Realm of the Wood Elves for 19€, if I can get an updated version of them + new stuff for another race for only 9€?

CA won’t kill their old game 1 race packs.

Not necessarily. The Empire factions have different mechanics than Markus Wulfhart. They're both pretty distinctive. If CA decides to give the WE a rework that you can ONLY use by purchasing the original Wood Elf DLC but then give the new WE DLC completely different mechanics then that would be a good incentive to buy both.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 7,560
    edited November 2019
    Red_Dox said:

• What about Immortal Empire consisting of game#2+game#3? Anyone else seeing a problem with the map itself if there is some kind iof "Old World" hole in the middle?
    • But lets ignore the map since that is another topic problem. Will I be able to play on that mysterious map actually with Taurox? I do not own the Beastmen DLC, just Taurox. Will it work? We have no way to know how that works because so far we have a CORE RACE which is automatically needed to unlock Mortal Empire as a example.
    • How about Multiplayer? Anyone actually around who only owns game#2 and Wulfhart, who has looked if he can use the complete Empire in MP? And would Grim & Grave stuff like the RoR be actually available for Wulfhart?
    • So back to Immortal Empire Beastmen: I don't own Beastmen, just Taurox. Does Taurox get the free Anniversary RoR? I would assume they are tied to the actual Beastmen DLC.
    • Lets change the setting and assume I am someone who owns everything, except the newest DLC. I want to play Multiplayer or Immortal Empire with the full Beastmen unit roster ----> But without the Taurox DLC, I miss integral units of the armybook which people complained years about now. So to complete that and play with good old Malagor, I have to buy the Taurox DLC. Which again, is the definition of DLC for DLC.
    • I don't as chances are CA won't even create such a map. Only the full three way map. In fact I don't know what the point of this point is.
    • You could, but since Taurox's gameplay and campaign would differ from baseline BM campaign the same way Markus's campaign differs from Empire's you can say you're not getting the core BM experience. Empire isn't a core of game 2 so you can't say that they don't suffer from such a problem and Wulfhart is in the New World. How exactly can it be a problem? Would excluding game 1 from such a map make Wulfhart unplayable? Of course not, he's in the New World. Besides, Skavenblight with Ikit is also in the Old World so it's not just these crossovers that would suffer.
    • You can play Empire in MP without owning game 1 now, I think. But you're limited to Wulfhart and co. and base Empire roster.
    • I think that you shouldn't get them but since LPs get their own RoR you still get some.
    • I don't see how you managed to make that connection. It's like saying you can't play the Empire if you don't own Wulfhart as Wulfhart is the Empire of game 2 now. They can do it so that the campaign between mainstay BM and Taurox are different and Taurox doesn't get some unit choices present in BM current roster so that there's still a core reason to get main BM roster. Basically you get some section of the roster either way but need to get the other one to get full one and all LLs. It ain't DLC for DLC as they are separate. As for completing the experience you're already doing that by buying two different LPs for one race. You can't play Wulfhart with Free Company without buying the other DLC too. And that will be more DLCs needed to complete other races.
    That good enough? Take into account that you can play all base Empire roster units with Wulfhart's DLC so you're basically paying for Empire again as his Vortex campaign doesn't require game 1. If you want to make it different game 1 is effectively DLC for game 2 as things stand as it isn't treated as an equal game taking into account that it's not getting updated concurrently with game 2.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

edited November 2019

CA already said the Festag DLC would not be a crossover DLC and would be limited to WH2 races.

Is the Empire a WH2 race now? Another Empire faction would be DLC for DLC?
    The Empire being playable in the Vortex neither makes it a game 2 race nor does it make it a DLC race
    It kinda does if you don't own game 1.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• The_RadudeThe_Radude Registered Users Posts: 230
    ArneSo said:

The problem here is that the Hunter and the Beast LP doesn’t make WH1 obsolete. A BM or WE LP Would make the original Race pack obsolete and worthless.

Why should I still buy Realm of the Wood Elves for 19€, if I can get an updated version of them + new stuff for another race for only 9€?

Because if you buy a TWW2 Beastmen dlc you won't get access to the LLs and starting locations of the beastmen of WH1, Khazrak, Malagor, and Morghur. You only get the TWW2 Beastmen LL
    edited November 2019

ArneSo said:

Because if you buy a TWW2 Beastmen dlc you won't get access to the LLs and starting locations of the beastmen of WH1, Khazrak, Malagor, and Morghur. You only get the TWW2 Beastmen LL
    Exactly how you need to own TWW2 H&B and get game 1 AND Grim and Grave to have Sigmar's Sons in game 2 Vortex. Fancy that.

Actually, yeah, that's basically stuff playable in game 2 standalone campaign accessible only if you buy the other game AND buy a DLC for that game. QED

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• GBoneGBone Registered Users Posts: 155
    I think CA are a bit stuck with this. They said that they're going to update all the TWW1 races so that means the Beastmen mechanics will be updated. But that'll cost money and people will still complain that the roster is unfinished. If they go for a lord pack, they open up the DLC for DLC Pandora's box.

So here's a wild (ahem) idea. Why not release a big FLC with a new LL, a couple of new units and new mechanics? Then give all 4 LL vortex start positions, replacing existing non playable Beastmen factions.

The Beastmen are then a 4 LL TWW2 faction, they can repackage it and sell it for full price. People with the original get a big free update, the faction's finished and CA make money.

Thoughts?
    edited November 2019
    GBone said:

I think CA are a bit stuck with this. They said that they're going to update all the TWW1 races so that means the Beastmen mechanics will be updated. But that'll cost money and people will still complain that the roster is unfinished. If they go for a lord pack, they open up the DLC for DLC Pandora's box.

So here's a wild (ahem) idea. Why not release a big FLC with a new LL, a couple of new units and new mechanics? Then give all 4 LL vortex start positions, replacing existing non playable Beastmen factions.

The Beastmen are then a 4 LL TWW2 faction, they can repackage it and sell it for full price. People with the original get a big free update, the faction's finished and CA make money.

Thoughts?

We barely even get them to release FLC for core game 1 races as is. Also, large section of owners have BM DLC so they would have to rely on people who don't own Beastmen already to recoup the costs of working in all of BM LLs into game 2 campaign, including Quest Battles, and new BM stuff.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• GBoneGBone Registered Users Posts: 155
    Yeah, it's a bit of a wacky idea to be honest, but TWW2 has been much more successful than TWW1, I'm sure they've sold a lot more Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast than Beastmen. BM as they stand are the least attractive DLC and are at the bottom of everyone's want list, sales must have been stagnant for years.

Guess the alternative would be DLC for DLC but who'd pay full price for an faction knowing that you have to buy the DLC on top to complete the roster?
  • RiskafishRiskafish Registered Users Posts: 643
    @Red_Dox
    Mortal Empires was a DLC unlocked by owning WH1 and WH2 because that is the area it covered. It would be strange for Immortal Empires to not require the ownership of WH1, WH2 and WH3 because they are likely to be the landmass of which it covers. If ME requires you to own WH1 and WH2 base games (the area it covers) why would Immortal Empires not require you to own WH1, WH2 and WH3? There can't be a gap in the map if you are required to own all 3 base games.

It is important to note that ME does not REQUIRE DLC to function only needing the base games.

In terms of Taurox on IEmpires, that Markus as a standalone does require the original content that added the Empire as a race, in order to play in the vortex would indicate that Taruox would likewise act as a standalone. There are still advantages to getting the "Call of the Beastmen" DLC such as the 3 lords, starting positions, Boris Todbringer, mini-campaign, ROR, Future FLC, Rework as the core race pack. The idea being that a Taurox lord pack while the COTB would enhance the players options and playstyles for IEmpires.

In terms of Grim and the Grave, since it is a Warhammer 1 DLC you have to own WH1 and the Empire anyway xD.

I don't actually know about the anniversary pack but I think they would keep it to promote sales of COTB. This would mean that while COTB wasn't REQUIRED for Taruox the pack would improve it.

In the case of Taurox units as Malegor, you can still play the campaign as Malegor as he doesn't actually REQUIRE the Taurox DLC. Th evidence for this is you can play Malegor right now with just 1 DLC. His experience would be enhanced but it still isn't a REQUIREMENT.

If a DLC does not require another DLC to function than it is not DLC for DLC xD. This doesn't stop two DLCs enhancing each other though. I also think this method will be needed to get the Ghorgon in the game and upsell the COTB which is already cheap on sale.

I understand and respect your viewpoint and TBH this is all just speculation based on the little evidence we have. I just don't think ruling things out completely when it is at the very least contestable is the smooth move xD.

• GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 4,384
    I don't really see the "makes X DLC defunct" argument, well perhaps in the case of the WEs, but all they really need is a rework and a couple of LLs which could be drip-fed over the series remaining lifecycle - perhaps a caster Lord too.

Even excepting this, what exactly will be being made defunct in this case? BM an WoC are in a pretty sorry state, I mean a rework could at least make their campaign interesting and WoC could recieve a unit infusion from the easily transferable stuff from Daemons, but the gaps will still be huge. Even assuming Monogods can fix that for WoC we are left with BM, for whom it would be a stretch to assume anything is coming that can easily be transferred. The chances are BM are going to be missing a lot unless they recieve DLC, I really don't see why they should be left in the dust because it "reduces the value" of a DLC that released well over 3 years ago for the price of a meal out.

All this of course depends on CA's plans. Maybe they are eventually going to do Monogod DLCs that will patch up both WoC and BM (though you just wait for the people complaining "the stuff I'm paying for is going to people who haven't paid for it" and such). In this case, there is no problem here, but I would personally prefer a 3 year old DLC be made redundant than a race be left woefully incomplete.

The redundancy argument also hinges on CA doing nothing to prevent that happening. CA could cut parts out of the roster for LP-only owners such as the Bestigor and Chariot, they might also make the game 1 CP available for purchase with game 3 (the caviat being the old LLs perhaps have the quests associated with their items cut, gaining them at a level like the AI, in order to avoid re-writes of the narratives), they might also make the race unnavailable for the player in MP. Just because H&B didn't hold back anything doesn't mean a LP featuring a non-core race will do the same.
  • darkgaia01darkgaia01 Registered Users Posts: 300
    chaos, beastmen and wood elves dlc are now over 3 years old and in a **** state at that compared to other races i wouldn't care if they made their dlc's free for everyone now as their not going get much more money out of them since their overpriced for the content they bring compared to game 2 race packs and the mini campaign aren't playable in game 2 either which makes it even worst that you have to install game 1 just to play them which alot of people won't bother to do so yea just make them free dlc's now and it sorts the whole dlc for dlc problem.

also i paid full price for the dlc's when they came out so 3 years ago so i pretty got everything out of them so i don't care if they went free now.
  • overtaker40overtaker40 Registered Users Posts: 68
    I read a comment on a separate thread recently by someone from CA and they said they had never said no dlc for dlc.

They sorta proved that with the bretonia free dlc update. And the wulfhart option I imagine was a test for them to see how getting a partial unlock would work.

I highly doubt, as we get into the endgame for total Warhammer 3(#liveservice), that we won't see new content for WE, BM, TK and VCoast.
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,387
    Who could they even add for the VCoast? One of the loreful lords?
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 2,474
    Skretch Half-Dead or Mundvald the Cruel.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 8,017
    It never ceases to amaze me that people assume that CA is so attached to whatever pittance of revenue they're still getting from the WoC and BM DLCs that they wouldn't be willing to cut them loose if they think they'd get more in the long run from doing so.

I could easily see BM and WoC revamps coming as part of the game 3 budget, either in the initial release or in later DLC. There'd be some token benefit coming from owning the original DLC - possibly the RoRs, a lord or two, and a couple of regular units will remain locked behind the original DLC, making them essentially a mini-lord-pack, and reducing the prices accordingly. I don't think they'll pay much attention to the "but I bought it at full price four years ago!" crowd - it's always been an accepted fact in the industry that short of preorder discounts and early adopter bonuses, you pay more for getting in early.
    edited November 2019
    Sephlock said:

Skretch and Vangheist both work to implement. Mundvard has also been thrown around as a possible choice if they have to go outside Dreadfleet.

Unit-wise the Old White Dwarf list had Syreens as a hero choice so they could make a character choice from them, perhaps even making them casters like Cylostra now that Stromfels is given as their patron. Another undead creature like a Rotting Merwyrm could be added as a derivative of the Rotting Leviathan. Then, in Dreadfleet, there were undead creatures that could appear to attack ships in the Galleon's Graveyard, with models. Two such creatures, Bone Hydra and Sea Giant, would fit the TWW gameplay.

So, there are possible choices still in official sources, without going into fanmade stuff. Although, I admit, they're all monsters.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

Crossil said:

Sephlock said:

Skretch and Vangheist both work to implement. Mundvard has also been thrown around as a possible choice if they have to go outside Dreadfleet.

Unit-wise the Old White Dwarf list had Syreens as a hero choice so they could make a character choice from them, perhaps even making them casters like Cylostra now that Stromfels is given as their patron. Another undead creature like a Rotting Merwyrm could be added as a derivative of the Rotting Leviathan. Then, in Dreadfleet, there were undead creatures that could appear to attack ships in the Galleon's Graveyard, with models. Two such creatures, Bone Hydra and Sea Giant, would fit the TWW gameplay.

So, there are possible choices still in official sources, without going into fanmade stuff. Although, I admit, they're all monsters.
    Whilst I would like to see Dracoleeches, I would personally prefer that CA focus on major races, I don't really think Coast needs anything, especially not Mundvard. If they get a LP it should be deep in game 3 when the major races are filled out imo, would make me very sad to see Coast have 5LLs (especially if it includes nobodies like Mundvard) with many races missing well known characters.

Personally I see Coast as complete, it would be nice to see an undead Merwyrm added if HEs get one, but not really necessary.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 2,672
    Goatforce said:

Crossil said:

Sephlock said:

Whilst I would like to see Dracoleeches, I would personally prefer that CA focus on major races, I don't really think Coast needs anything, especially not Mundvard. If they get a LP it should be deep in game 3 when the major races are filled out imo, would make me very sad to see Coast have 5LLs (especially if it includes nobodies like Mundvard) with many races missing well known characters.

Personally I see Coast as complete, it would be nice to see an undead Merwyrm added if HEs get one, but not really necessary.
    Skretch Half-Dead is pretty much the only possible LL I think that would actually add something to the Coast. A Hybrid faction where he gets some skaven units but they get a slight recolor and the Undead rules. Makes a hell of a lot more sense then the current Coast hybrid...

Goatforce said:

Crossil said:

Sephlock said:

Skretch Half-Dead is pretty much the only possible LL I think that would actually add something to the Coast. A Hybrid faction where he gets some skaven units but they get a slight recolor and the Undead rules. Makes a hell of a lot more sense then the current Coast hybrid...
    Maybe, though he would make more sense as a LH given his binding to Noctilus. Admittedly his unique ship would be cool. But still, seems unnecessary, his gimmik would be that he is a Skaven and maybe has some undead Skaven troop, which doesn't seem that big a deal to me. Again I would prefer CA focus on races that need the attention, which compared to Coast is all of them imo.
    edited November 2019
    Goatforce said:

Goatforce said:

Crossil said:

Sephlock said:

Maybe, though he would make more sense as a LH given his binding to Noctilus. Admittedly his unique ship would be cool. But still, seems unnecessary, his gimmik would be that he is a Skaven and maybe has some undead Skaven troop, which doesn't seem that big a deal to me. Again I would prefer CA focus on races that need the attention, which compared to Coast is all of them imo.
    Skretch isn't bound to Noctilus actually. The Screaming Bell that Skretch and crew use makes them immune to his necromancic control. They have an accord but that's it.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

edited November 2019
    Crossil said:

Goatforce said:

Goatforce said:

Crossil said:

Sephlock said:

Skretch isn't bound to Noctilus actually. The Screaming Bell that Skretch and crew use makes them immune to his necromancic control. They have an accord but that's it.

Ah, fair enough, I had thought that all but the Tomb King Captain in Dreadfleet were bound to Noctilus. In that case then yeah he seems like the best valid option, but I stand by Coast not needing anything more.

Goatforce said:

Crossil said:

Goatforce said:

Goatforce said:

Crossil said:

Sephlock said:

Ah, fair enough, I had thought that all but the Tomb King Captain in Dreadfleet were bound to Noctilus. In that case then yeah he seems like the best valid option, but I stand by Coast not needing anything more.

Tordrek also struck a pact with Noctilus but the exact details are unclear. Vangheist was bound by Noctilus but he was originally independent so not like he couldn't be again. Technically, none of the Dreadfleet captains owe their continued existence to Noctilus. All of them can go independent should the situation call for it.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

Crossil said:

Goatforce said:

Crossil said:

Goatforce said:

Goatforce said:

Crossil said:

Sephlock said:

Tordrek also struck a pact with Noctilus but the exact details are unclear. Vangheist was bound by Noctilus but he was originally independent so not like he couldn't be again. Technically, none of the Dreadfleet captains owe their continued existence to Noctilus. All of them can go independent should the situation call for it.
    Haha, seems like my Dreadfleet is lacking! But again, Coast is the last faction that needs an update by a huge margin, at least as far as I am concerned.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 9,197
    I love the Coast, my favourite DLC race by far but they definitely don’t need another LL.

It would be ridiculous to give them another LL after CA needed to invent that singing abomination I don’t want to name here.
    ArneSo said:

I love the Coast, my favourite DLC race by far but they definitely don’t need another LL.

It would be ridiculous to give them another LL after CA needed to invent that singing abomination I don’t want to name here.

But can you say no to a zombie rat boy?

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 5,752
    ArneSo said:

Singing ghost abomination ? That's why we love her.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 9,197
    @Crossil
    Stretch would’ve been just awesome, like all the other Dreadfleet characters. Never understood why CA invented the fat opera lady instead of taking a existing character. I just still think that she doesn’t fit into the whole setting.

I see that CA wanted to have a Ghost character but why not Vangheist? He would’ve been be a million times better.
  • overtaker40overtaker40 Registered Users Posts: 68
    ArneSo said:

@Crossil
    Stretch would’ve been just awesome, like all the other Dreadfleet characters. Never understood why CA invented the fat opera lady instead of taking a existing character. I just still think that she doesn’t fit into the whole setting.

I see that CA wanted to have a Ghost character but why not Vangheist? He would’ve been a million times better.

they were going for variation and it was a chance to flex their creative muscles since GW didn't want them to use to much dread fleet stuff. shes interesting and offers a unique LL for campaign. i hope we get more original LLs.