Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Need Help Evaluating: Category Cap System based on Army-Wide

tww2rankstww2ranks Registered Users Posts: 300
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Hey everyone,

as the title says I need your help: opinion/suggestions/advice

1. Units are the constituent parts of your armies, divided into categories

2. Army Points Value (gold)

TableTop use table:

We will use table:

for example:
army points value = 5000
for each category we set the Category % Value.

Example:

How it works?

are considered the same.

What does it mean?
for example: Chaos Warriors
You may have a maximum of 6 units in battlefield:
4 Chaos Warriors + 2 Chaos Warriors (Great Weapons)
1 Chaos Warriors + 5 Chaos Warriors (Great Weapons)

if you want more just ask me

I hope anyone can help me. Thanks for reading this (and for replying!).
Post edited by tww2ranks on

Comments

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,197
    if I make 20.000 Gold per turn I want to be able to Doomstack to my hearts desire. If I want to run a mino-bus, I want to run a mino-bus, especially with Mods that give me the Doombull lord
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. Moving Balthasar Gelt to Solland was a bad call for a new Starting Position. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire it should've been Marius Leitdorf of Averland

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • tww2rankstww2ranks Registered Users Posts: 300
    edited December 2019

if I make 20.000 Gold per turn I want to be able to Doomstack to my hearts desire. If I want to run a mino-bus, I want to run a mino-bus, especially with Mods that give me the Doombull lord

Dude, play as YOU WANT! :smiley:

oh completely forgot i am doing this for friends and for my game modes: RvR/PvE. I do not impose on anyone please do not write about doom stacks, okay?

as the title says I need your help: opinion/suggestions/advice
  • Koolasuchus69 Koolasuchus69 Registered Users Posts: 64
    I play my campaigns with a mod called Cost-Based Army Caps. It’s done wonders in keeping them diverse. Player armies have a 17k cap, and ai armies a 23k cap ( both adjustable). It makes every unit viable which i think is awesome, if i want a skink frontline, i can have it and it works because my opponents can’t have a doom stack of 20 dragons. Overall just super fun.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,599
    So I think you are going very complicated.

Table top had 3 categories: core, special, rare. You have more categories than that: inf, missile inf, cav, missile cav, monsters, constructs, flyers, etc. Then you also list your units in tier 1 to tier 5.

Also table top had a separate category for characters (they weren't core, special or rare).

For what you are trying to do, I think you are doing it fine. I would probably go with a simplified approach over the approach you are taking.

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 8,726

I play my campaigns with a mod called Cost-Based Army Caps. It’s done wonders in keeping them diverse. Player armies have a 17k cap, and ai armies a 23k cap ( both adjustable). It makes every unit viable which i think is awesome, if i want a skink frontline, i can have it and it works because my opponents can’t have a doom stack of 20 dragons. Overall just super fun.

That sounds interesting
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
    edited December 2019
    endur said:

So I think you are going very complicated.

Table top had 3 categories: core, special, rare. You have more categories than that: inf, missile inf, cav, missile cav, monsters, constructs, flyers, etc. Then you also list your units in tier 1 to tier 5.

Also table top had a separate category for characters (they weren't core, special or rare).

For what you are trying to do, I think you are doing it fine. I would probably go with a simplified approach over the approach you are taking.

Tier does not affect on cap. (I added Tier for readability)

Yes, "Table top had 3 categories: core, special, rare", but TWW2 uses a different classification of categories

the main idea is that, each fraction has the same categories. so when we assign a Category % Value it will be the same for everyone

it would be great if someone had fights based on these caps to check if they don't restrict a specific faction?

edited December 2019

my approach is not limited to the cost of the army, unlike the mod that you mentioned (Cost-based Army Caps)

my idea is that you can even buy an army for 100,000 gold, but at the same time there will be a variety of different units in this army.
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 1,994
    Check out DrunkFlamingo’s Table Top Caps mod - it makes both you and the AI have the sort of armies that make some sense (uses the same system you’re looking into).
    edited December 2019

Check out DrunkFlamingo’s Table Top Caps mod - it makes both you and the AI have the sort of armies that make some sense (uses the same system you’re looking into).

I am not looking system. as the title says I need your help: opinion/suggestions/advice - for my unit-cap system. :wink:

and Army Books have NOT Norsca, Vampire Coast etc. so Table Top Caps intuitively distributes units.

I'm based on the cost of the units that the CA determines. and I think there are smart people who correctly set the cost for the unit.

• Koolasuchus69 Koolasuchus69 Registered Users Posts: 64
    tww2ranks said:

my approach is not limited to the cost of the army, unlike the mod that you mentioned (Cost-based Army Caps)

my idea is that you can even buy an army for 100,000 gold, but at the same time there will be a variety of different units in this army.
    I found limiting the cost encouraged a wider variety of army, since there’s no single army that’ll just chow through everything.

it’s an easy solution, but if you want another one then the custom battle limits are quick and dirty.
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 1,994
    Ah, cool, in that case I'm all ears - will have a think, but good luck - the more limits like this the better the game IMO
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 23,956

And you make that much money by, what, turn 50? Even earlier when you use Dwarfs and Elves with their hilariously broken economies.

Also funny that you bring up mods because if CA finally nerfs the monetary deluge, you can mod your precious doomstacks into the game. For everyone else however they absolutely ruin the game, especially since they show up so soon and cause 80% of all units to disappear.

edited December 2019
    any ideas?
    edited December 2019
    any thoughts?