Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Fun factor. Starting factions vs DLC\FLC factions

LaindeshLaindesh Junior MemberPosts: 1,698Registered Users
Just wondering how people find the first factions compared to the DLC factions.

I was considering rating the fun factor of each faction while waiting on turn timers in ME and it hit me that factions like teclis, tyrion, mazda etc dont hold a candle to factions lieke hellebron, eshin, alith anar, tehenhauin etc.

Do you guys still hit up a campaign with factions which doesn't have all the new shiny toys of the DLC\FLC ones?
Or do you play the new shiny factions exclusively?

Comments

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,354Registered Users
    Laindesh said:

Do you guys still hit up a campaign with factions which doesn't have all the new shiny toys of the DLC\FLC ones?

of course. For example there are quite a few folks who think that overall the mechanics of, for example, Nakai and Tehenhauin are overall inferior to the main race mechanics.

or to compare Tehenhauin with Ikit claw... Ikit gets unique ROR with his Workshop... Tehenhauin has to sacrifice loads of stuff to get his normal ROR...
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 2,050Registered Users
    I have a feeling that when it comes time for WH2 races to get tuned up during WH3 updates we won't see the races themselves get updated but the starting LLs of the game with their own unique mechanics. Malekith, Mazdamundi, Tyrion, Skorlk etc. all feel dull in comparison to the DLC LLs and even some FLC LLs like Gor-rok and Alith Anar.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Posts: 1,611Registered Users
    Even some DLC races. Tomb Kings are vastly in a bad spot now, they never amount to anything when lead by the AI and with Repanse and changes to races in the Southlands, this leaves the Nehekarans in a really poor position to reach mid-late game, which is when TK becomes on same level as a normal faction.

Vampire Coast need their campaign mechanics looked at, the Vortex campaign has no reward for beating the campaign basically and changes to Skaven, Lizardmen and the introduction of Markus has caused a lot of problems.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 5,011Registered Users
    I still go back to Queek, even though Ikit's a lot of fun.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    Hell, even Karl Franz is still fun. Playing him after the Empire revamp was imho a joy.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Posts: 1,698Registered Users
    Interesting replies. Thanks! Keep em coming.
    But yes i do so too. Just hit up a campaign as Teclis (cause mage LL).

I think Tehenhauin's mechanics is decent, but his skink boosters comes too late. (as does the red skinks equilant skills)
    Always liked the idea of skink armies with kroxigor support. But i dont have the patience to level up the lords to make skinks semi-viable. Maybe i oughta make a mod for that.
    Wyvax said:

I have a feeling that when it comes time for WH2 races to get tuned up during WH3 updates we won't see the races themselves get updated but the starting LLs of the game with their own unique mechanics. Malekith, Mazdamundi, Tyrion, Skorlk etc. all feel dull in comparison to the DLC LLs and even some FLC LLs like Gor-rok and Alith Anar.

I like alith anar, his default ambush stance (stalk?) and the "marked for death" mechanic is pretty fun if clunky.

I really wanted to hit up a skaven campaign yesterday and today, but saving the fun for a Eshin campaign :)
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,321Registered Users
    edited December 2019
    Oh I like these.

Tyrion and Teclis vs Alarielle and Alith Anar
    Winner: Starting lords
    Haven’t played Alarielle because she doesn’t appeal to me. Alith Anar was all good for the one campaign I played. But I don’t know I felt cheesy using his ambushing movement stance. It just felt too easy. Early game was good though, took a good while to solidify my position. Tyrion and Teclis win though. Teclis is one of my favourite lords and that Vortex start is sooo much fun. Tyrion is good for that isolationist Ulthuan feel. Played both countless times.

Queek and Skrolk vs Ikit, Tretch and Snikch
    Winner. Well hard to say right now. It’s hanging in the balance depending on Snikch.
    Played a bit of Skrolk and Queek. I like Queek as a Lord. Currently my favourite out of the bunch. I love Skrolk’s and Clan Pestilen’s Lizardmen rivalry. Haven’t played Tretch because I don’t fancy playing him in depressing Naggaroth. Have barely tried Ikit and while he might have a good mechanic his starting area bores me (ME) or feels out of place (Vortex) and I haven’t taken to him like I thought I would. We’ll see about Snikch. Part of me worries that his mechanics will simply prove too strong and thus be unappealing (like Ikit). But his ME starting position is juicy and so potentially the playstyle of his army.

Malekith and Morathi vs Hellebron, Lokhir and Malus
    Winners: Tough one to call too. Probably weighing towards the DLC + FLC crowd.
    Malekith has a boring starting position. I just don’t like Naggaroth. And I never really liked him. Had there been a more consistent and credible threat from the Wastes I probably would have liked him a lot more. Morathi though is a lot more fun and battles more interesting enemies. Also love the fact that they went with her as a Slaaneshi worshipper. Best call. Her Shade + Dark Rider + Doomfire Warlock armies are also hella fun. Never played Hellebron as there is nothing about her that interests me. Lokhir I’ve played a bit as he has had the best start so far and also has a Black Ark Corsair focus. Best Delf lord and unit models in game. We’ll see anout Malus. Has interesting mechanics and the start down south looks good.

Mazdamundi ald Kroq’Gar vs Tehenhauin, Tictaq’to, Gor-Rok and Nakai
    Winners: Starting Lords.
    Although Tehenhauin is probably my favourite Lizardmen campaign the rest of the DLC + FLC crowd aren’t really as fun as Mazda and Kroq. Nakai is alrite for a Horde. Certainly the best there is mechanics wise. Gor-Rok I haven’t played yet because the entire area and his starting position seems over the top easy these days. He too seems really powerful with hos Lord/factiol effects. Tiki-taka might play good football but I don’t know. It all just seemed a bit flimsy and too microintensive to be fun for me. Mazda and Kroq don’t need any special mechanics to be fun. They do what it says on the tin and both starts have a bit of bite (apart from Kroq so far in ME). Played both a fair few times (mainly Mazda).

These new Lords are all fine and good but it just seems in general that the starting Lords got the better and harder starting positions and are more fun despite lacking specialized mechanics.

Also right now I’d probably be more likely to start campaigns with starting lords in general than with mew shiny ones (unless we’re talking the ones currently incoming).
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
    Dwarfs. Belegar>Grombrindal>Thorgrim>Ungrim
    Empire. Karl Franz>Markus Wulfhart>Balthasar Gelt>Volkmar
    Greenskins. Skarsnik>Grimgor>Azhag>Wurrzag
    Vampire Counts. Mannfred>Vlad>Heinrich Kemmler>Isabella>Ghorst
    Beastmen. Malagor>Khazrak>Morghur
    Bretonnia. Alberic>(Repanse)>Louen>Fay Enchantress

Just for good measure.
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 2,050Registered Users
    Laindesh said:

I think Tehenhauin's mechanics is decent, but his skink boosters comes too late. (as does the red skinks equilant skills)
    Always liked the idea of skink armies with kroxigor support. But i dont have the patience to level up the lords to make skinks semi-viable. Maybe i oughta make a mod for that.

Wyvax said:

I like alith anar, his default ambush stance (stalk?) and the "marked for death" mechanic is pretty fun if clunky.

I really wanted to hit up a skaven campaign yesterday and today, but saving the fun for a Eshin campaign :)
    What I meant when I mentioned Alith Anar, is that he as a FLC LL has more interesting mechanics than Tyrion and Teclis, even though FLCs tend to be a little bare bones in the mechanic department.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 2,315Registered Users
    Of course I play the old races.

Except for Beastmen and Chaos. I mean, a guy's got to have SOME standards.
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
    Sephlock said:

Of course I play the old races.

Except for Beastmen and Chaos. I mean, a guy's got to have SOME standards.

I’ve played a Malagor campaign relatively recently (after Prophet and the Warlock). Malagor was and is my guilty pleasure out of TWW1. The race I thought I’d hate but Malagor taught me to love. Something wicked this way comes indeed.

Chaos though. Such promise. Yet like an old cheese it now reeks and is covered in mold. I enjoyed my first Chaos campaign in TWW1. Where I Path to Gloried 200 turns in Norsca smacking around the Norscan tribes and built up five armies before heading south. I haven’t enjoyed them since though not for a lack of trying.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Posts: 1,698Registered Users
    Nice thanks for the insight RikRiorik!

Thats the kind of analysis im pondering about too. I was just hesitating if i should include the core race. But i see now that i really should include it :)

I'll get to make a comparison soon too :)
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 5,011Registered Users
    Laindesh said:

Wyvax said:

I'll have to agree with you on that one!
  • DatHomieSilverSurferDatHomieSilverSurfer Posts: 155Registered Users
    Adding one or two extra UI interfaces doesn't necessarily make a specific faction significantly more interesting in terms of gameplay than a faction without those extra bells and whistles.

For example, Ikit's workshop didn't retroactively ruin the older Skaven campaigns at all. While fun, the workshop doesn't offer meaningful gameplay decisions or significantly alter the way the campaign is player. The most notable differences that make up gameplay with different lords from a given race are there starting scenario, nearby opponents and allies, terrain, and faction effects.
  • DatHomieSilverSurferDatHomieSilverSurfer Posts: 155Registered Users

yea, Queeks lore and endgame of capping K8P adds more than enough diversity in gameplay from the other factions! Even the small things like his fully developed undercity he starts with under K8P adds more character to that start
  • endurendur Posts: 3,240Registered Users
    For TWW2 yes, but not for TWW1.
    Malus + Hellebron > Malekith and Morathi
    Alith + Allerielle > Tyrion and Teclis
    Ikit + Snitkch > Skolk + Queek + Tretch
    etc

however for TWW1, I like the new mechanics for VC, Empire, etc. so I'm still playing the base lords, Vlad, KF, etc.

• AkiAmazAkiAmaz Posts: 265Registered Users
    All the new stuff with the DLC / FLC actually make revisiting the vanilla lords worthwhile. I thoroughly enjoyed my Morathi campaign a few months back more than I did Malekith pre any DLC.

The DLC increase replayability across the board IMO.

Am so looking forward to S&B LL and to Repanse all in Vortex. However, their inclusion will change the dynamics in the areas which make other factions worth revisiting.

So, I try to do the new LL, then go hunting for fun original LL who have benefitted from the changes.

Damn! I love this game.
  • beegee84beegee84 Junior Member Posts: 248Registered Users
    edited December 2019
    For dark elves starting lords malekith and morathi win. Malekith is one of the best lords in the game for battles. Morathi is great once you get a lvl5 capital. I hated lokhir but like hellabron obviously nobody in this forum can have a view on malus as he's not out yet

For high elves dlcflc lords win alith anar is great fun alirelle not so much. Didn't like tyrion or teclis campaigns.

For lizardmen dlcflc win tenahuannen is the best lizardmen campaign played a lot like skarsniks. nakai is okay but short haven't tried gor rok. tiqtakto im currently playing but its only average. Kroq gar is too easy repetitive, there's just no competition for lizardmen in southlands. Mazdamundi was just an average campaign.

For Skaven its a hard choice but id go with starting lords. Queek and skrolk both have 2 of the best campaigns in the game. Ikit claw for me IS the best campaign in the game but tretchs campaign is really poor and he's also a really poor lord in general so I cant really give that title to them....... That might change once snitch is added
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,763Registered Users
    It’s not entirely true.

I think core factions are more classic total war experiences while DLC/FLC factions are more about experimental and creative game experiences.

Alith Anar is super fun, but as him you mostly use Shadow Walkers/Warriors as your core infantry unit because it is themed. You barely use Lothern Sea Guard or other units.

Ikit is also more about using Skryre units and mostly ignoring other clan units.

So those factions are very specific and themed while core factions are a general presentation of the race.