Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A Solution To Fix Wood Elf Outposts And Amber

WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,697
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
So Wood Elf Outposts are annoying in there current state. They incentivize the player to be extremely aggressive with one of the most isolationist groups in the setting, all so we can get enough amber to use their full roster. I propose a possible solution to this, give WE players two seperate options regarding settlements outside of Athel Loren.

1. Traditional outpost like we have currently implemented, but allow it to reach four slot sizes (for all regions). This allows them to provide a more significant boost to your economy, access to resources, some basic recruitment options and more defensibility for the outpost. The downside to this is it doesn't provide you with Amber.

2. Make "Asrai Lookouts" into something similar to Pirate Coves and Undercities. The catch here is that while those are negative parasites to a settlement, Asrai Lookouts could be mutually beneficial for the settlement inhabitants depending on their relations. So let's say you've got a defensive alliance going with Alberic d'Bordeleaux and establish an Asrai Lookout around his capital. He will be provided with a vision boost for his city, lowers ambush success chance of hostile forces in the province, slight boost to Untainted in the province and if the city is attacked your Wood Elf garrison can reinforce the defenders. The Wood Elf player in turn is provided with triple amber gain, and a boost to trade income with said faction. When establishing an Asrai Lookout on top of a neutral faction's city, it provides regular amber gain, lowers hostile force ambush success chance and a boost to untainted; depending on the leaning of the faction inhabiting the settlement this will either improve or hurt relationships with them (ie. Skaven and Vampires will not like you). Establishing an Asrai Lookout over a hostile settlement will have the same benefits listed for neutral factions, as well as a PO malus, income theft, and attrition imposed on enemy armies when they are in standard or forced march stance.

Now for amber itself. Aside from what was mentioned above (no amber for Outposts, 1 amber for hostile and neutral settlement Lookouts, 3 for allied settlement Lookouts,) amber needs a way to be generated internally at a slowish rate on top of Lookout and diplomacy gains. Perhaps with mid game tech or special building, I'm not sure. What I am sure about is that their is no reason that a unit of Dryads, Treekin and Treeman should all be worth 1 amber. Instead I propose the following, 1 amber can get you either: 4 units of Dryads, 2 units of Treekin, 1 Treeman or 2 units of Dryads and 1 unit of Treekin. Extrapolate for other units such as Hawk Riders and Forest Dragons. Plus whenever a unit is lost, the amber it was worth should be redeemed, so if you lose your Treeman in battle, that should free up the Amber required to field it in the first place, therefore you can immidiately get to recruiting another one in it's stead.

Anyway those are my thoughts on the issue. Let me know your take on them, whether you love it, hate it or just don't care.

EDIT. That feeling where you start typing up a concept at 2 AM, save it to finish it the next day. Only to post it and immediately see someone post the same concept in a single sentence thirty minutes earlier. Oy vey. :|
Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

Post edited by Wyvax on

Comments

• HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 5,063
    This is the most talked about subject on the forums period. And honestly, its been beaten to death. If people want to read/contribute to the Welf update chain we should probably use one of the 9000000 other threads dedicated to the subject. Otherwise we retread old ground and the argument is just one endless circle getting nowhere. Albeit one without Lucibius lately, for some reason.
  • bretonniasucksbretonniasucks Registered Users Posts: 34
    Yeah i agree,

The welfs have my favorite army roster but there campaign is terrible.

Such a waste of potential and thanks for bringing it up well done OP
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,144
    I'd be in favour of 2.

Small detail : chance of sucess when establish it, or chance of being detected / cost to destroy varies with climate.

Forest: very favourable. Desert : very unfavourable
  • doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 2,371
    Actually Wood Elves are easy now if you manage to get a
    Military Alliance with Empire.
    That´s all the free Amber you can want.

Still the mechanic needs some rethinking.
    Don´t like the idea of Pirate Coves.
    That´s thematic to Pirates and Skaven. Not Woodies
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,697
    steph74 said:

I'd be in favour of 2.

Small detail : chance of sucess when establish it, or chance of being detected / cost to destroy varies with climate.

Forest: very favourable. Desert : very unfavourable

Actually I meant those to be complimentary, not either or. My wording may be off though.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

• Ice_creamIce_cream Registered Users Posts: 795
    edited December 2019

I dont see the reason why it cant be thematic to WE.
  • bretonniasucksbretonniasucks Registered Users Posts: 34

They where easy before this. They have the strongest army roster in the game and auto-resolve loves them. 2 stacks of welfs with tree-kin in it will easily win an auto-resolve vs any settlement.

All you have to do is have 2 stacks available as welfs and its game over.