Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Memorable moments/AI suprises

Mo74Mo74 Junior MemberPosts: 23Registered Users
edited October 2011 in Empire: Total War
Hi all,
As I mentioned in another thread asking about cross-theatre invasions, I'm thinking about getting back into ETW.
So I'd be interested to hear about any epic moments in your campaigns or battles, especially where the AI has surprised you (ie provided a good challenge).
I had a few problems running ETW early on but now people seem to report it is much better I'd like to find out if it is worth giving it another go, especially with the latest patches.
Thanks for any replies.
Post edited by Mo74 on

Comments

• LSDLSD Senior Member Posts: 861Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Most "surprises" are repeated ad nauseum until any sense of surprise, let alone challenge, is wiped out entirely.
    For example, the Marathas in my current campaign sent 2 fleets with 2 full stacks on board to the Americas to invade. I had a tiny fleet nearby and had to deal with them before they could land the troops. "Phwoar, good job i had the ships to stop them, wasn't that a surprise?". It's now about 20 turns later, and every single turn, without failure, they send at least one fleet with a stack of troops on board, and that fleet is destroyed time and time again.

Is it worth getting into ETW? Yes. Definitely. Just be prepared for rage inducing moments(no strikethrough? :()everything.
    [portable-ID]lsd[/portable-ID]
    Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW
  • RickenbackerRickenbacker Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Just today I assaulted a fort, and since the defenders were all milling around inside, I put my troops in a U around the door. The enemy then proceeded to come out one by one, and got cut to pieces by my 9 infantry units grouped around the exit. They lost every single man, I lost one!
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    I was moving an army through North America and I was ambushed by a French force hiding in the woods! I managed to fight them off as my force was mainly Line Infantry, and they had brought some units of Colonial Militia, but as I started in a marching column it was a close run thing - they nearly wiped out my artillery train and almost killed my General!
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
  • King_TomislavKing_Tomislav Senior Member Posts: 235Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    AI is bether, but it's steel not good as in Napoleon, and in Napoleon some work is had to be done... But Empire is steel number one game for me! I play with Ottomans on hard, and finally i menaged to get my self out of "survival mode", cause Ottomans are very disadvantaged in the early ages... One good surprise was when 2 of my Sultans died, and then the 3. one had 7 stars bonus!!! It really helped mi out in my fight with French, cause now i singed peace and trade with them, and now i can get my focus on Spain, Poland, Russia, Great Britain and Moroco, while allied with Prussia, Sweden and Maratha... So, some times in ETW great leaders are born :).
  • darkstardarkstar Senior Member Posts: 346Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    huh, thats almost exactly what happened to me, except i destroyed russia before i expanded west, but i had the same enemies and allies
    edited August 2011
    darkstar wrote: »
    huh, thats almost exactly what happened to me, except i destroyed russia before i expanded west, but i had the same enemies and allies

Russia is gone, Sweden toke out north, i south... Now i conquered France, and moving towards Spain with massive armies. I have new ineresting allie now, its Mexico :)... After Spain, my plan is to take out Britain and then to America! But this has noting to do with the thread, so sorry Mo74 for spaming.
  • pontifexpontifex Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Yesterday I took Rome ninja style as UK. I had taken Naples from Spain a little earlier, which consequently lead to the Italian States declaring war on me. They had a considerable army of line infantry (at least 9+cavalry+artillery), beside the Rome garrison, which would easily outmatch my army of militia (4 1/2 regiments). I sent a weakened regiment of militia to one of their villages, forcing the garrison in Rome to deal with them. They still had the fierce army outside of Rome to act as reinforcement, but I had only to fight the citizenry inside the walls. During the siege I ran with every man towards the walls, while my cavalry tried to slow down the advancing line infantries and cavalries before reaching the gates. The citizenry were no match, of course, but their cavalry had reached their gates and were tearing all my regiments on the ground to shreds. When I finally had their first cavalry routing and made it to the center square, unable to use the square formation, I only had one other regiment not on the run to cover with. By the time I had taken the city, my center square militia was about to be engaged by two light cavalries and a line infantry. I felt like I had just "invented" the SAS.
    edited August 2011
    I have a new one! Today i played American campaign, and in battle with GB, they had 3 units of horse artillery, and some light inf and line inf... After they left artillery exposed, i send my horse regiment to outflank them (classic style). And on my great surprise AI placed those spikes using light inf! AI actualy placed them to face a flanking attack, nor just "cosmetically" facing the front. I did not expect it, so after i order my cav to charge, i turn my atention to main fight. It was a nasty surprise (but a good one in the same time). All of my cav was killed, and all of his artillery survived. I lost that battle cause of it... The AI dif is hard/hard.
  • KEDKED Senior Member Posts: 317Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    I was fighting Pirate Ships, a Flynt and a Admirals 5th rate. The Flynt had only 8 guns and the 5th rate 14. I had 2 trade ships a sixth rate and a brig all at full strength. I sent the trade ships after the flynt and the war ships to take on the 5th rate. The Pirate ships ignored the trade ships and concentrated fire on my brig sinking it in short order. My 6th rate did lots of damage to both ships but not enough before it broke and ran. So I boarded each of the pirate ships. I had their crews outnumbered more than two to one and lost bosth of my ships. The next turn thay killed my 6th rate. This should have been an easy victory but...
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 967Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Are you talking about Galleons and Fluyts? If yes, I agree. They are waaayyyy over powered! Were your tradeships Indiamen? Second of all, I never board if I can g**** shot. If you pull up on the bow or even aft, you can just g**** shot until kingdom come!
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
  • KEDKED Senior Member Posts: 317Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    No It was flynt and an Admirals 5th rate with a very good captain but already blown to bits. My trade ships were Indianmen and I was useing g**** before and durring boarding operations. Just bad luck I guess. I understand the tactics and usually do well even when outnumbered. This time I had my head handed to me.
  • vipercobra16vipercobra16 Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    I was the us had two calvary groups and 1 line infantry and 1 militia unit. GB had 1 group of cannons 3 calvary units and two infantry units. i charged with my calvary and took out their infantry but were one of my my calvary units was wiped out by their cannons and the other retreated. my infantry forced two of their calvary units to retreat. but my line infantry routed and I only had 8 militia left. their other calvary had been hiding and charged me. i had taken cover behing a fence. my militia forced them to retreat and only 2 of my people survived.
  • vipercobra16vipercobra16 Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    in my next battle i had two minutemen against 5 armed civilians and 2 calvary but still won because i took out the civilians and 1 of the calvary from the forest and eventually french calvary took out the other GB calvary.
  • sdw1000sdw1000 Senior Member Posts: 612Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    @Rickenbacker That's my basic setup for sieges...blow a couple holes thru the walls....sit outside the wall like a police SWAT team and just shoot them when the come out. If they do anything crazy like sending out cavalry to take out my cannons, I've got my cavalry to stop them. The best is to put the puckle gun outside the wall and wait for them to come out. Sometimes u have to bait them in coming out...so I send a cavalry unit to stand at the wall's hole and then coming charging at me. The cav goes back behind the infantry line and they get blasted. The AI once sent 2 cavalry units out that took out my artillery when i wasn't paying attention...so then I had to climb the walls....such a pain.
    I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.
    - William Tecumseh Sherman
  • sornansornan Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    sdw1000 wrote: »
    @Rickenbacker That's my basic setup for sieges...blow a couple holes thru the walls....sit outside the wall like a police SWAT team and just shoot them when the come out. If they do anything crazy like sending out cavalry to take out my cannons, I've got my cavalry to stop them. The best is to put the puckle gun outside the wall and wait for them to come out. Sometimes u have to bait them in coming out...so I send a cavalry unit to stand at the wall's hole and then coming charging at me. The cav goes back behind the infantry line and they get blasted. The AI once sent 2 cavalry units out that took out my artillery when i wasn't paying attention...so then I had to climb the walls....such a pain.

Yep, me too haha :D

Although the drill sargent sounding guy tells you 'The point here is to salvage what you can from the enemy fort not destroy it..' etc etc lol.. Im like yep.. cannons are set to fire at will!

Only downside is the volume of time it takes to camp the fort waiting for the cannons to do their damage and make some holes. If the troops can be afforded I've found it helps alot to get at least a couple groups to climb a wall as a flanking manuever once the battle at the hole in the wall starts letting my guys inside the structure, tends to sandwich the enemy forces and cuts down on casualties.

An 'ai' moment I recall here :

The jaw dropping results the game constantly puts out when auto resolving naval fights lol... I mean, cmon.. I've resorted to having to manually do almost every naval battle, simply because there are some serious issues with the auto resolve.. Like me having a maxed group of Galleons and 2nd rate ships, we go against 1.. yes One enemy Galleon or 2nd rate.. and we lose anywhere from 1 to like 5 ships ! lol.. and at that, the rest of the fleet takes some damage as well. Ironically, ofc, doing it manually, the enemy is sunk before he can even moderately damage one of my ships. It's quite boring spending up to 15 mins in a naval battle with a full group against one ship, but what do you do. Quite unlike the ground battles, auto resolve often does a good job of making resonable results in light of the forces on both sides.