Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

6 Books of Malus; but the DLC became a Eshin DLC

2»

Comments

• BardicInquisitionBardicInquisition Registered Users Posts: 1,102
    edited December 2019
    Masarius said:

The 6th book ending summarized from a warhammer wiki.

"Although Tz'arkan had been banished back to the Realm of Chaos, he managed to take Malus' soul with him. As such, Malus no longer bled nor felt pain. Soulless, Malus wandered through the Chaos Wastes for 10 more years not caring for life or death with only the Warpsword of Khaine having survived the ritual.

Then one day a sorcerer approached him and told him he knew where Tz'arkan was. Fearing for his life, the sorcerer had tattooed the map to Tz'arkan's hiding place onto his back to make sure Malus would need him further. Malus ended the man's illusions by slaying him, skinning the map from his back and feeding the rest to his ever-loyal Cold One, Spite.

Malus next set out to slay Tz'arkan. Facing numerous foes from all four of the major Gods of Chaos, he eventually found Tz'arkan within the realm of the Screaming God Child, a crazed entity of Chaos.

Malus was able to trick the God Child and flee but when the entity noticed this, he imprisoned Tz'arkan in Malus' body once more as a punishment. From then on Tz'arkan would take control of Malus whenever he slept. Thus Malus was forced to drink a magical potion that kept him awake indefinitely. Only when the strength and savagery of the Daemon was required did Malus imbibe a potion of sleep to wake the Daemon.

After many years Malus eventually returned to Hag Graef, where, with the backing of Malekith, he became the new Drachau, the lord of the city."

The game is set after his journey.

No that is not what the 6th book is about, what you quoted was simply from 6th Edition DE and Darkblade's comics.

The 6th Book titled Deathblade concerns Malus Darkblade's story during the End Times when the Dark Elves finally abandoned Naggaroth because of the Chaos invasions and headed to Ulthuan on an all or nothing assault. It goes from Malus already being Drachau of Hag Graef and trying to usurp Malekith to his participation in the invasion of Ulthuan, the taking of Eagle Gate, the scouring of Ellyrion and his and Spite's deaths in an incident involving Tz’arkan, Morathi and Tyrion at the end.
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered Users Posts: 995
    Blaeys said:

Im seeing a lot of hate for Malus here and on reddit, but I have to think it is coming from people who are just reading the descriptions and not actually giving his campaign a try. I definitely recommend his ME campaign. I am having a lot of fun and am finding it one of the more challenging experiences the game has offered. In fact, I find it more interesting and fun than Snikch.

Snikch definitely has the easier of the two campaigns, which I think is part of the problem. People confuse power with fun. Balancing when to let the demon loose to deal with a more challenging foe offers a real strategic choice, one I am having a blast with. It may feel less complex than the new system for Eschin, but facile complexity doesn't always equal strategic or more challenging.

Again, if you haven't, you should give his campaign a try.

You just cracked the case my friend.

Believe in humanity!
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,642
    Blaeys said:

Im seeing a lot of hate for Malus here and on reddit, but I have to think it is coming from people who are just reading the descriptions and not actually giving his campaign a try. I definitely recommend his ME campaign. I am having a lot of fun and am finding it one of the more challenging experiences the game has offered. In fact, I find it more interesting and fun than Snikch.

Snikch definitely has the easier of the two campaigns, which I think is part of the problem. People confuse power with fun. Balancing when to let the demon loose to deal with a more challenging foe offers a real strategic choice, one I am having a blast with. It may feel less complex than the new system for Eschin, but facile complexity doesn't always equal strategic or more challenging.

I'm looking forward to the complexity of a dual start.

Too often a lord is seen as good merely because they are powerful.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 13,595
    Certainly Malus is not easy. But I did enjoy the balancing of the pros and cons of both sides. Save up a ton of money, hit the elixir twice, save even more money upgrading everything...
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • SokaroSokaro Registered Users Posts: 38
    edited December 2019
    the 6 books are your argument ? With that logic Gotrek and Felix would have a word with you xD

• WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 812
    Sokaro said:

the 6 books are your argument ? With that logic Gotrek and Felix would have a word with you xD

Gotrek and Felix wasn't implemented well either.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 887

Blaeys said:

I'm looking forward to the complexity of a dual start.

Too often a lord is seen as good merely because they are powerful.
    The dual start is another simple mechanic, but it is a little deeper than it may seem from the outside - not because of the 20k, but rather because of the impact possession has on character loyalty and troop replenishment. In my campaign, I kept Hag Graef and I highly recommend people do so.

When your possession bar is high, you basically get no replenishment for any armies, you suffer public order hits and your lords all have a significant chance to lose loyalty every turn. That is the real dilemma that comes with possession - especially the loyalty. With Malus all the way across the map, losing your army back home would be devastating.

There are real consequences to unleashing the demon - even when you need him to win a fight.

I am loving this campaign. In the first several dozen turns, I ended up in fights against Norscan tribes, other DEs, the tomb kings (Khatep), Skaven (Clan Eschin), Dwarves, Lizardmen and Greenskins. Currently, Malus is fighting his way through the badlands while my Beastmaster back home is in a full scale war with the primary High Elven factions (supported by their ally Mazdamundi) - alongside my only ally Malekith (who confederated with Helebron a few turns ago).

Again, to the main topic of this thread, I understand opinions differ. My advice is, if you own the DLC, give a Malus campaign a try and judge for yourself.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,337
    @Blaeys did you see my other reply?
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 2,046
    I honestly think the books were the fact he was poorly implemented than snitch and eshin.

Why eshin were more of blank slate than malus that had lot of potential. While everything about malus was pretty much set in stone. So eshin allowed CA and lets be honest GW freedom to do stuff.

The same can be prince imrik vs elithrion, imrik has enough things mentioned have hell of lot more potential. While elthrion is pretty much stuck to be the the elf that is used to tell Grom story.

Going foward i want CA not just take two lords that have rivalry but take the best possible lords for each faction with the most potential and build the dlc around them.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 3,367
    edited December 2019
    There's a push and pull to Malus you won't get anywhere else.

In battle, lets be fair Malus can't actually lose. Once you get his Warpsword, grab a couple points into Tzarkans skill line, every fight ends the same way. Malus and company fight, you send Malus into situations he purposely won't win eventually, then pop Tzarkan at the last moment. Tzarkan, buffed by his skill line and the Warpsword, will heal relatively close to how fast he loses health. It balances out far too quickly for the enemy to actually finish the fight against him. Being unbreakable means it doesn't even matter if the entire rest of your army dies. Malus won't lose. He hits lord soloing aemy stacks status quicker than anyone else due to Tzarkan. Making the replenishment penalty arbitrary at best. Follow Malus around with his Black Ark, and when you're done having him blitz armies throw back two potions.

Take the downed recovery time to replace what bits of your army didn't survive the rampage, and construct buildings everywhere you can. Recruitment and replenishment done, rampage all over again. Rinse repeat.

Personally, I like it. No one else has as definitive an ebb and flow to his campaign. When to fight, when to wait. But it does get old really fast. Having exactly zero meaningful ways to empower his forces means each fight revolves entirely around him and the Tzarkan blitz. Its fun to watch him rack up 700+ kills a fight for a time. Then it gets tedious to ignore the actually army on army strategy aspect in favor of herohammer.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,914
    That’s the point, I’m finding Snikch’s game pretty chilled at the moment, but still fun. I assume Malus will be more challenging which can be fun, just depends on your mood.