Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What is warhammers version of Australia

alecwinteralecwinter Registered Users Posts: 25
It seems that every real life civilization is represented in one way or another in warhammer but what is the closest to real life Australia

Comments

• NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,708
    Probably the Realm of Chaos. Crazy landscape where everything is upside down and trying to kill you.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 1,719
    Yep "here be Chaos Dragons"
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 3,381
    Whoa guys ease up, thats not being fair. I mean come on, you can't even compare the two.

The realm of Chaos isn't that bad jeez....
  • yx3768031yx3768031 Registered Users Posts: 156
    No such place in Warhammer world for cast away criminals.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,732
    Australia is Warhammers version of Australia.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 7,032

Whoa guys ease up, thats not being fair. I mean come on, you can't even compare the two.

The realm of Chaos isn't that bad jeez....

Obviously, they're talking about the southern Chaos Wastes. Go deep enough, and I hear that everything really IS upside-down. After all, Chaos is influenced by what people believe, and if enough people in the northern hemisphere believe that those in the southern hemisphere is upside down, somewhere in the southern Chaos Wastes it'll be the truth...

Seriously, though, the closest fit is probably Tor Elithis. Similar geographical location, the "lost" appellation represents the myth that Australia was a continent that people believed was there but didn't know exactly where for a long time (it's not strictly true, the west coast was known to Europeans in the 1600s if I recall correctly, but nevertheless) and a colony of the main thalassocracy of the Warhammer world.
  • KirkwaldKirkwald Registered Users Posts: 940
    edited December 2019
    Judging by the map, it should be the lost isles of Elithis I suppose. Based on the name, I suppose it used to be an Asur colony, which is fitting enough

• OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 3,565
    Still is an Asur colony... 2 of them actually.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Lost_Isles_of_Elithis
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,981
    Geographically speaking...I don't believe there is an adequate parallel.

But if you're talking about the concept, the closest fit is Naggarond.

Naggarond was a prison colony for a colonial super power up until it eventually became its own new political entity.

Seriously, it was a High Elf prison colony long before Malekith wound up there/the Dark Elves were formed. Heck, when Malekith was first serving at the King, before his full evil turn/civil war, he himself was exiling people to Naggarond.

Then Naggarond itself, separate from its prison status, is considered a hostile environment with many exotic and rare beasts and animals. I know it's cold, instead of hot, but they both have deserts.

Yeah. Naggarond = Australia is probably the closest thing that you'll find. Although the analogy ofc isn't perfect.
    Valkaar said:

Naggarond was a prison colony for a colonial super power up until it eventually became its own new political entity.

Seriously, it was a High Elf prison colony long before Malekith wound up there/the Dark Elves were formed. Heck, when Malekith was first serving at the King, before his full evil turn/civil war, he himself was exiling people to Naggarond.

Then Naggarond itself, separate from its prison status, is considered a hostile environment with many exotic and rare beasts and animals. I know it's cold, instead of hot, but they both have deserts.

Yeah. Naggarond = Australia is probably the closest thing that you'll find. Although the analogy ofc isn't perfect.

No... Dude Naggarond is AMERICA... Not only is it clearly in the same place and roughly same shape as North America, but America was also a Prison Colony. England didn't start shipping people to Australia until after they lost the colonies. The "Dark Elves" had a Civil/Revolutionary war, they broke away from their parent civilization. Australia is still a part of the Commonwealth and still answers to the Queen, they politely asked for their own parliament. America also has a history of brutally massacring the native population while running slave plantations, much like the Druchi.

Your wrong Valkaar sorry but your wrong.

Kirkwald said:

Judging by the map, it should be the lost isles of Elithis I suppose. Based on the name, I suppose it used to be an Asur colony, which is fitting enough

I always thought it was the Southern Wastes

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    Nahh... Thats Antarctica.

Compare the pair

It's the Kangoroos that you really need to watch out for. And the Emugors, which have a 3+ dodge save against any missile fire.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 13,605
    Alrighty, lets ah, just try to avoid the politics creeping into the discussion, please?
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
    Compare the pair

Draxynnic said:

It's the Kangoroos that you really need to watch out for. And the Emugors, which have a 3+ dodge save against any missile fire.

Would so love to see some CA interpretation of Australian Fauna as beastmen. I mean the platypus is halfway there being just a combo of various animals just need to add some human dna.

• KirkwaldKirkwald Registered Users Posts: 940
    OdTengri said:

Valkaar said:

No... Dude Naggarond is AMERICA... Not only is it clearly in the same place and roughly same shape as North America, but America was also a Prison Colony. England didn't start shipping people to Australia until after they lost the colonies. The "Dark Elves" had a Civil/Revolutionary war, they broke away from their parent civilization. Australia is still a part of the Commonwealth and still answers to the Queen, they politely asked for their own parliament. America also has a history of brutally massacring the native population while running slave plantations, much like the Druchi.

You forget about the part of America being the land of extreme...decadence, which fits the Dark Elves.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,732
    The thing about Australian wildlife is that there's nothing outside of Crocdiles, Sharks and Mantas which will straight kill you. Most of it will poison you. We don't have a bear or lion type animal that'll hunt you down. Australia is the only country with more poisonous snakes than constrictors.

So Australian BM would have a few sneaky heavy hitters but mostly be hit and run style.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • beegee84beegee84 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 263
    High elves

High elves are the british empire

Albion is pre roman Britain

The thing about Australian wildlife is that there's nothing outside of Crocdiles, Sharks and Mantas which will straight kill you. Most of it will poison you. We don't have a bear or lion type animal that'll hunt you down. Australia is the only country with more poisonous snakes than constrictors.

So Australian BM would have a few sneaky heavy hitters but mostly be hit and run style.

I'd probably be more concerned about an angry 'roo, emu, or cassowary than a manta. None of those are predatory by nature, though, which is probably the important distinction here - about the only Australian animals that will look at a human and think "that could be my dinner" are sharks, salties, and possibly dingoes. Lots of things that will poison you if you accidentally provoke them, but they'd be happier if you never knew they were there in the first place.

Places with bears and big cats and such are probably actually more dangerous overall than Australia, but people are more blase about those because you can see them coming.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,981
    edited December 2019
    OdTengri said:

Valkaar said:

I mean, i get that Naggarond is geographically more similar. But historically, it is NOT a more reliable metaphor.

None of the 13 colonies were prison colonies. They were voluntarily created charters...either by explorers, or religious minorities, or business people looking to make a buck. They weren't SENT there. They chose to show up. Not so with the prisoners originally sent to Australia or the Dark Elves sent to Naggarond. While the colonies rebelled against the crown....the High Elves kicked the Dark Elves out...and SENT them to Naggarond.....not anticipating they would form their own viable government afterwards.

Also...Australia practiced slavery well until the 1850's, and had legally binding exploitative relationships with the native Aborignees well until the mid-1900's. Those are not uniquely 'American' traits.

I'm NOT saying the Australia metaphor is perfect. But if we're not talking about geography..... Australia's prison colony set up is a much more accurate historical metaphor than the 13 colonies set up. As is the idea of an extreme climate with exotic wildlife. And the slavery/native arguments equally apply to both.

Neither is a great fit. But America's doesn't fit any more obviously than Australia's does.
  • buutronbuutron Registered Users Posts: 63
    In the FUMBBL (browser based blood bowl) secret league there is a team called Lumbria, which is based on the following rationale

'Lumbria has never appeared on a map of The World though to the far east there is an annotated arrow pointing further east reading something along the lines of - to the mythical lands of Lumbria. This was just a little joke really and The World will never be extended to include this region. In keeping with that idea - this roster is also a bit of a joke too. The region is believed to be The World equivalent of Australia.'

So according to this there is an actual place equivalent to Australia, it just doesn't appear on any maps. I would love to know which map the above annotation exists on though...

The roster is made up of such;

Kangors; yes you guessed it, Beastmen in the shape of kangaroos which have the skills [Leap, Very Long Legs, Prehensile Tail]

Dropbears; based on Australian folklore, stunty-sized critters which yeah, drop out of trees and rip helpless passers-by to bits.

the Yowie; Aussie version of a Big Foot. Giant-sized by BB standards (ST 6) which can throw the drop bears like a troll can throw goblins down-pitch in bloodbowl.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 5,983
    edited December 2019
    Why are we even continuing beyond Isles of Elithis? If they were to make an Australian or Maori/Aboriginal themed faction they would probably make sea elves with their aesthetic based in Tor Elithis.

It makes sense imo. The High Elves draw some parallels to the British Empire with their colonies and pomp and Tor Elithis is as of right now one such colony. The parallels are pretty obvious.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 75
    Judging by this map, available Lore and geological realtions on our planet I would say the following:

Austraila might be the Lost Isles of Elithis. But for me they seem to be more reminiscent of Newguinea and the surrounding islands. Newguinea and the Isles contain tropical landscapes and are fairly nice places to live without large predators. Also they are home to the birds of paradies.

The position of the Lost Isles is fairly similar to newguinea and it is mentioned, that there are no beastmen them. For Warhammer Standards it seems to be a fairly nice place.

In our world australia and antarctica were connetected for the better part of the last 300-400 million years. They seperated around 40-50 million years ago. This together with the seperation from south america this lead to the glaziation of antarctica.

Judging by the lore parts about the soutlands and lustria one being connected, I conclude that the next best place for australia in the Warhammer setting would be the nameless peninsula that is almost touching ind. The rest of the southern Chaos Wastes then represent the typical antactica.

Alternativly GW never considered such a depth and our hypothesizing is the work of mad people :smiley:

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 5,983
    edited December 2019
    sykall said:

Judging by this map, available Lore and geological realtions on our planet I would say the following:

Austraila might be the Lost Isles of Elithis. But for me they seem to be more reminiscent of Newguinea and the surrounding islands. Newguinea and the Isles contain tropical landscapes and are fairly nice places to live without large predators. Also they are home to the birds of paradies.

The position of the Lost Isles is fairly similar to newguinea and it is mentioned, that there are no beastmen them. For Warhammer Standards it seems to be a fairly nice place.

In our world australia and antarctica were connetected for the better part of the last 300-400 million years. They seperated around 40-50 million years ago. This together with the seperation from south america this lead to the glaziation of antarctica.

Judging by the lore parts about the soutlands and lustria one being connected, I conclude that the next best place for australia in the Warhammer setting would be the nameless peninsula that is almost touching ind. The rest of the southern Chaos Wastes then represent the typical antactica.

Alternativly GW never considered such a depth and our hypothesizing is the work of mad people :smiley:

I think such fine tuning is kinda wasted. There's no Arabic peninsula geographically but Araby, arguably the Barbary Coast, accounts for the Peninsula as well even though it isn't geographically accurate.

I would say general area of Southeast Asia and Indonesia ultimately are represented with the Hinterlands of Khuresh, especially when they are chaotic and the southern section of the Gates of Caith lead into Southern Chaos Wastes the connection seems to run true. Gates of Caith could also represent Singapore gap, especially as it is under HE.

My guess would still be Elithis.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
    edited December 2019
    sykall said:

A lot of what you say there could also apply to northern Australia, or if you just take the 'no large predators' aspect, New Zealand as well. Elithis could be considered to be the Warhammer equivalent of Oceania as a whole.

Mind you, it is worth noting that the Gates of Calith are also colonised, so that region being equivalent to Cape York could work. I generally considered that to be more the equivalent of Singapore, however.
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,855
    I think it was deliberately left out.

It would just be Orcs with a slightly different accent anyway ...

40K Total War ... oh go on ... you know you want to.

• Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 441
    There is already an Antipodean inspired faction in the game - the Greenskins.

Just think about it:
    Loads of deadly spiders - Giant Arachnarok and the little spider mounts
    Weird and potentially suicidal sports (Bungee Jumping, Aussie rules etc) - Doomdiver catapult and Fanatics
    Their awful alcohol - hallucinogenic mushrooms
    Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

• korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 88
    OdTengri said:

No... Dude Naggarond is AMERICA...

really ? not geographically speaking ofc ,but i always see skavens as an usa parody, in the end even a skaven slave its just a temporarily embarassed warlord.