Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

They should show an accuracy stat in unit cards

GreyKnightDantesGreyKnightDantes Registered Users Posts: 216
Accuracy stats would be really cool to have in a unit. in fact, it would make certain artillery units in the game much more better (dwarfs) than others of its kind if CA tweaks the accuracy ratings of it a bit more, making them either spray and pray (skaven artillery) or precise sniping (dwarfs).
==========================================================================================
When you are trying hard not to burn people but you smell heresy in the air...

Comments

• ricmornricmorn Registered Users Posts: 221
    The way accuracy works is far more complicated than just a single number. That's why it's not listed on the card. CA has expressed that it would be a lot nicer to make it more transparent, but at the moment it's just more intricate than can it be easily boiled down to a single stat.
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,355
    That's exactly why we need this. Based on several parameters.
    A bit like we see damage, with the part for anti infantry, anti large AP, etc.
    steph74 said:

That's exactly why we need this. Based on several parameters.
    A bit like we see damage, with the part for anti infantry, anti large AP, etc.

I believe CA doesn't want to make the unit cards more busy/confusing. Adding in all the accuracy variables, which themselves by their description are a little complicated to grasp, would probably increase its size by another half or more. Unless all of that's arbitrarily put together into a catch all number, which at that point there might as well just be a descriptor that says "Accurate" or "Inaccurate" in the unit description.

I agree it would be better, but unless the accuracy system is reworked I doubt it will be forthcoming.
    Not in the card, as a tool tip. Same as the damage.
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 731

Accuracy?......."all the shots will land in the edge of the unit size instead of the center"....
  • EvilJoshyEvilJoshy Registered Users Posts: 104
    edited January 9
    Now that you mention it I do find it odd we don't have an acc stat. Considering some units have perks that boost certain units acc(Warlock Engineer)
    They have an accuracy stat. and each weapon also has a marksmanship stat.
    Plus the calibration distance which also has an effect.

It's in the tables, but not visible in the UI.
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Registered Users Posts: 919
    ricmorn said:

The way accuracy works is far more complicated than just a single number. That's why it's not listed on the card. CA has expressed that it would be a lot nicer to make it more transparent, but at the moment it's just more intricate than can it be easily boiled down to a single stat.

What? You can make a stat out of any number of variables as long as they are consistent accross all units.

You make it sound like how accuracy is calculated in Total War is somehow so scientifically complex that no meaningful figures could be aggregated. People do things like this on a near-infinitely more complex basis every day.

Of course we could have an accuracy stat.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • SagrandaSagranda Registered Users Posts: 1,659
    Accuracy has 4 different values that come from the shooting unit itself.
    Showing those would still be far from showing the whole picture, because other factors do play a role as well
    CA_Ato said:

@Sarmatians: There is a difference between maths and a simulation. Hit chance calculations can be described with maths sufficiently well. There are only a few contextual factors, like height difference between the models or their facing, which influence the results beyond that "clean" calculation.

Accuracy is a simulated property. The contextual factors outweigh the maths.

If you dig a bit deeper into Football Manager and start modding it you will see that it is a vast, complex simulation (especially the 3d mode, text mode simplifies some things). If the devs were to explain it fully, they might as well publish their source code.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/1953426/#Comment_1953426
    CA_Ato said:

Mentioned this before, that is not how accuracy is calculated. Each projectile is modeled in the physics engine, were a whole bunch of parameters come together and a ton of conditions apply. Simplifying the system is on my wish-list for the future, but even then it will never be as a simple as a single accuracy stat.

KR, Ato

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/1935411/#Comment_1935411

Disclaimer: What I say is my opinion and not necessarily stated as fact.
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Registered Users Posts: 1,576
    It was removed because in most cases, for most units, it's an irrelevant stat due to how the shooting mechanics have become nonsense. There's no more organised volley-firing, which is a major thing for making sure they hit even if the targets are moving fast. It's why loose formation is also no longer here. It's all gone cheap and arcadey.
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 3,367
    Even if they do create an accuracy stat, it would at best be a stat approximation. Then people would get **** when their rating 90 welfs straight up whiffed a whole volley because some lord pivoted mid air to weave out of it.
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 383
    edited January 9
    The point is it’s not as “one stat” quantifiable as you all are wanting. The difference between moving, juking, and stationary targets to the “doesnt really matter if we miss cause we still hit something” artillery shots, to walls, friendlys, trees, and other obstructions affecting different ammo types differently.

Honestly, I’d REALLY like to see something that gives a better indicator of what kind of shot my guys are firing. Bullets vice arrows and mortars vice cannons arch and get affected differently as I’ve stated. But some ranged weapons are little more ambiguous as to how they are traveling. I’ve played like 900 hours and I’m still not sure if Xbows and standard archers have the same arc.
  • AwesomeLionAwesomeLion Member Registered Users Posts: 1,142
    Could keep it somewhat simple. Have the unit card list "High accuracy", "moderate accuracy", and "low accuracy" (which is already listed for the boyz). That would give us a rough idea.
    Total War: Warhammer <3

ricmorn said:

What? You can make a stat out of any number of variables as long as they are consistent accross all units.

You make it sound like how accuracy is calculated in Total War is somehow so scientifically complex that no meaningful figures could be aggregated. People do things like this on a near-infinitely more complex basis every day.

Of course we could have an accuracy stat.
    We could. The problem is that it wouldn't be very useful. The entire point of the stats is to be informative. Let's say we boil everything down and shove it into a single number. What is that number? The chance for an entity to hit its target at its Effective (max) Range? Or is it at its actual more accurate range (its calibration range)? Is it just an arbitrary 1-100 scalar of "on average this orc is terrible at shooting". At that point AwesomeLion is right. Just have the card say low, medium, and high.

Every stat on the unit card is pretty easy to math out as it's essentially a constant. e.g. When Entity A's animation connects it has a 60% hit chance modified by Entity B's Defense. As Sagranda linked Accuracy does not translate very well to a mathed out stat, as it is a simulation. Every projectile is a physics enabled object. The game calculates targets, variance, projectile speed, impact, target leading, accurate range, projectile flinches etc. If all this was boiled down to a number, absent of context there's no point to it.
    Even if there are many factor, you could still show something based on the unit accuracy + marksmanship bonus of a weapon to give a base.

• PandajacketPandajacket Registered Users Posts: 64
    I know it’s complex, but I would like to see it as a just general identified like bronze and gold shields.

It could be a bronze - gold target just representing a rough identify of accuracy
  • BordigaBordiga Registered Users Posts: 253
    I wholeheartedly agree with you OP.