Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

modded COOP campaign desyncs

chryseusAquilachryseusAquila Registered Users Posts: 4
searching the web I only managed to find old and/or contradicting information regarding what causes and how to fix desyncs so I'm making this post to get current intel.

the last couple days a friend and I tried a head-to-head campaign in mortal empires as cult of sotek vs greenskins using the SFO overhaul. at around turn 27 we regularly had desyncs both on the campaign map and during battle as well. We managed to get to turn 60 before we decided to give up since we had desyncs roughly every two turns.

Now, I know turning off SFO is the first obvious step. But the reason I'm not convinced SFO (or mods in general) are directly to blame is that my friend and I played maybe 5 or 6 Campaigns prior to the Shadow and Blade update with the SFO mod where we reached at around turn 50 to 100 without any desyncs.
I was playing Kroq-Gar while my friend was switching through High and Dark Elves to see if he likes them.

The last time my friend and I experienced desyncs was during a Clan Skryre and Chaos Warrios coop campaign, also using SFO. That run I think was prior to the Beast and Huntsman update.
That gives me the theory that the desyncs might be both linked to the mod in conjunction with using DLC Factions, since Skryre and Cult of Sotek are both DLC factions.
During our Campaigns prior to the Shadow and Blade update we only played base factions.

I would be thankful if someone could share any insight on the topic.

tl;dr

- COOP Campaing using SFO after Shadow and Blade update desyncs every two turns

- used to run fine using SFO prior to update, mostly.

- can desyncs while using SFO be linked to playing DLC factions?

Comments

• MasariusMasarius Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,113
    Depending on who you ask...

Mod fans: "mods dont cause desync"

Mod critics: "mods cause desync"

CA: "we can't test modded games"

__

Bottom line: Mods can maybe cause desyncs.

But on the other hand I just recently played with a friend rome 2 coop. Vanila games, nod mods whatsoever: "host left the game" - issue.

CA isn't really pushing forward the Total War Coop stuff and I am still quite angry with them about the Shogun 2 treachery and its advertised coop gameplay.
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
  • AnglocanerAnglocaner Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 51
    Played Coop with my brother @ turn 100 desync issue comes and we cant play anymore. No mods
    Veni, vidi, vici
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 3,218
    Dont use mods, the game is better without. them
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 9,822

Dont use mods, the game is better without. them

That's like just your opinion mate.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    edited January 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 694
    did you start this modded campaign before the update?
  • EnforestEnforest Registered Users Posts: 2,205
    I can't even start modded campaign after the latest DLC. It just says that versions of the game are diffirent and my friend can't join. Tried with even one minor mod enabled, like Better Camera mod.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 694
    Enforest said:

I can't even start modded campaign after the latest DLC. It just says that versions of the game are diffirent and my friend can't join. Tried with even one minor mod enabled, like Better Camera mod.

is one of you on the beta branch?
  • AnglocanerAnglocaner Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 51

Played Coop with my brother @ turn 100 desync issue comes and we cant play anymore. No mods

This worked for me and my brother:

Both accessed Steam and right-clicked the game - Properties - Local Files - Verify integrity of game files. Then we started the save again on turn 100. Then we got the desync error again, but then we desync. All fine. Our save is now at turn 160 and we have not seen the desync error occurred.

PS! Just keep in mind we have no mods, just plain game.
    Veni, vidi, vici