Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Setting for a Total War

Subr1185Subr1185 Registered Users Posts: 22
Sorry if this was asked before, but what setting would you like to see Total War take on? Real or fictional.
It could be WW1, or Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars, or even Tongan empire or something like that.
What do you think?

Comments

• steph74steph74 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,355
    Empire + Napoleon redone as one game with updated engine.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 4,346
    Next historical setting is hopefully Pike and shot and after that Empire 2 with a giant map including the whole world.

I don’t think another Fantasy setting is likely any time soon because of licenses.

If I could choose a fantasy setting I would go for LotR or GoT.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 88
    historical speaking i dont care for anything else than empire 2 or ww1 ,for a new fantasy game ,dont think lotr its really a good chioice, i would go for confrontation by rackham,
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,223
    A Song of Ice and Fire.

Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 977
    Medieval 3 of course.
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 538
    Warhammer 40k
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon/Deamon slayer, Doomseeker, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Rune Golem, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • NyumusNyumus Registered Users Posts: 151
    I would love an Mythology fantasy one, with Full one Monsters and creatures from diferents Myths. Imagine an Age of Mythology, but a total War game.
    You choose the Pantheon (Greek, Egyptian, norse, Celtic, Slavic, Persian, Japanese, Chineses, Mayan, etc) and thrn tou could have different Gods as factions.
  • ThirdeyeThirdeye Registered Users Posts: 123
    Warhammer Naval, Man-of-War/Dread Fleet
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 1,981
    An official Lord of the Rings game would be fantastic, but 1) That ship might have sailed (maybe the TV-series makes the license more interesting for investors again), and 2) The Medieval mod might just be better than whatever CA cooks up at this point, dunno.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 1,981
    An Elder Scrolls themed Total War would be pretty cool, especially if they incorporated some of the more wacky elements of that setting (silt strider cavalry, Nord heroes with the thu'um).

Then again, you might just go back to the OG source of wacky fantasy settings and do Total War: Glorantha. Get some flying barbarians in woad blowing stormwinds at phalanxes of sunlaser-shooting hoplites and heroes forming into avatars of their gods on the battlefield. (Gloranthqa is a mix of Bronze age Sword & Sandal adventures, crazy over-the-top anime-style fights, obstuse eastern mysticism, and Anglo-SAxon/Viking-style doom & gloom heroes.)

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,256
    Well we know what the next 2 games are going to be.

Fantasy - WH3.
    Saga - Troy.

So that leaves the next full historical game open, we don't know if they are going to keep the old grand scale spin off that they have previously used such as Attila following Rome 2. So it could be another China based game.

But as others have said one of the few periods they haven't covered is the point between Medieval and Empire, generally called Pike and Shot. We do have a number of gameplay elements that would add depth to that. Same could also be done for a Victorian time period bringing elements from FotS back, although I'd expect Pike and Shot to be done first due to the smaller scale before a Victoria.

I'd like another Empire, but at the same time I would also like another Medieval game, we haven't had a Medieval game on the current engine and Empire was the game that launched it.

I'd also say none of your suggested ones seem viable. Either mechanically or with the cost and limitations of the setting.
  • virginia1861virginia1861 Registered Users Posts: 60
    Lord of the Rings, one game to rule them all.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,908
    The problem with a LotRs game is the balance of units. The human factions would be similar to a Atilla barbarian faction, while the evil factions would be full of monsters and hard hitting units.

The problem with a LotRs game is the balance of units. The human factions would be similar to a Atilla barbarian faction, while the evil factions would be full of monsters and hard hitting units.

? what is the problem here? I see it as diversity and not even correct. The human nations would be pretty standard but would have strong leaders like argaorn, gandalf etc the elves would have the best standard units and great leaders like galadriel, elrond etc the dwarves would have some high quality units. The free people would also have powerful allies like eagles, ents, army of the dead etc I think it the shadow factions with orcs that are generally pretty weak but what makes up for it is some powerful units [but few] like trolls, nazgul and mumakil etc so I dont see it as an issue imo. I see diversity of units/factions as a good thing. Plus Exspansions and DLC could be done on the first and second ages

It is not surprising that the most awarded, most downloaded , mod ever made for a total war game is the third age mod.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Age-Total-War
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,908
    I’m talking about the human factions, not elves. And what I said stands. The humans factions will look like a basic Atilla faction.

I’m talking about the human factions, not elves. And what I said stands. The humans factions will look like a basic Atilla faction.

Maybe a basic medieval faction with some really cool wizards and leaders and sweet [email protected] castles. Of course rohan would be Calvary heavy. The north would have rangers and a town on a lake. But yea, the human factions would seem very similar to.... well human factions.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,460
    i want: Med III, Empire II, maybe something Pike and Shot, and "Victoria" or "Bismarck" or whatever 1850 to 1900 or so.

Also, for the later, imho this quote is a must for a trailer and/or intro:

"nicht durch Reden oder Majoritätsbeschlüsse werden die großen Fragen der Zeit entschieden – das ist der große Fehler von 1848 und 1849 gewesen – sondern durch Eisen und Blut.“Otto von Bismarck

"Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided—that was the great mistake of 1848 and 1849—but by iron and blood." - Otto von Bismarck

or to shorten it a bit to make it more fitting:

"nicht durch Reden oder Majoritätsbeschlüsse werden die großen Fragen der Zeit entschieden sondern durch Eisen und Blut."

"Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided but by iron and blood."
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!

I never played atilla so i am unsure what you mean here. Rohan is heavy on cavalry rural agrarian with a massive keep and edoras. Some good leaders. Gondor has a 7 walled city/castle good leaders, an army of the dead near by, great heavy armored solders, rangers, and some important allied like gandalf. The north would be similar without the massive keep. Dale has a town on a lake and close allies with elves and dwarves. And dnont forget the beorings. Not at all your standard men.

The "bad guy" factions of men Harad would have vast space a nice keep umbar and mighty oliphaunts. And pirates/corsiars for a navy that can bring the war all along the coast. The easterlings? i need to learn more but likely standard type bad guys spear men i think.

i want: Med III, Empire II, maybe something Pike and Shot, and "Victoria" or "Bismarck" or whatever 1850 to 1900 or so.

Also, for the later, imho this quote is a must for a trailer and/or intro:

"nicht durch Reden oder Majoritätsbeschlüsse werden die großen Fragen der Zeit entschieden – das ist der große Fehler von 1848 und 1849 gewesen – sondern durch Eisen und Blut.“Otto von Bismarck

"Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided—that was the great mistake of 1848 and 1849—but by iron and blood." - Otto von Bismarck

or to shorten it a bit to make it more fitting:

"nicht durch Reden oder Majoritätsbeschlüsse werden die großen Fragen der Zeit entschieden sondern durch Eisen und Blut."

"Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided but by iron and blood."

Med 3 would be great.
  • NortalfNortalf Registered Users Posts: 2
    Total War Saga Wild Fields: XVI- XVII Estern Europe. Cossacs, Tatars, Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, Tsardom of Russia, Ottoman Empire maybe.

I would like to see some Tribe wars for Example Native Americans or Africans.
    Good idea is also conquistadors against Aztecs.