Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How to end the cycle of constantly starting new campaigns?

PedePede Registered Users Posts: 93
I have tried everything from roleplaying, modding (mainly SFO) and running silly army compositions. Every time i start a new campaign i lose interest at arround turn 60-70 because game becomes too easy.
I play on very hard both campaign and battle difficulty, but as soon as i have taken over a region it usually becomes a snowballing game from there, with no army being able to win vs my semi doomstack.

I always wish the chaos invasion starts earlier, because only when outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 there is a decent challenge.

Ofc i lose battles when they attack semi-undefended cities, but i miss a good challenge for my main army, which the ai avoids like the plague.

I don't want to play legendary because i dislike playing whack a mole/riot in my cities due to insane PO penalties.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,566
    https://steamcommunity.com/stats/594570/achievements
    Go achievement hunting? Some of them kinda need that you hold certain map areas at a time or finish an actual very hard campaign. Those can make you play longer then you might without.

Then you might still wanna use more/new mods to spice things up. If you complain about the Chaos Invasion for example, you can challenge yourself a bit
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1595848110
    or
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1957318361
    to be forced to try other army compositions instead of those you might be used to.

------Red Dox
  • MORTUSMORTUS Registered Users Posts: 86
    Are you played all races and lords?
  • spaspa Registered Users Posts: 104
    It's fun to wait for like 150 - 200 turns, and declare war on the Empire/Dwarfs/Bretonnia/Lothern monster alliance. They usually have like 200 settlements combined, and they might give you a hard time (but don't disturb them in the early game, let them develop into this monstrous Ordertide). I'm doing this now with Khalida campaign, they really feel like an endgame threat.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 11,397
    An advise, just don’t use doomstacks.
    They limit each race to just a few units what is absolute boring. As the Empire your core of every army should still be at least 6-10 units of basic State Troops.

As the VCoast the mau work should be done by your gunnery mobs.

As LM you should always keep a bunch of normal Saurus warriors in your army.

This way your campaign will be more realistic and also interesting because battles will still be challenging.
  • PedePede Registered Users Posts: 93
    Red_Dox said:

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/594570/achievements
    Go achievement hunting? Some of them kinda need that you hold certain map areas at a time or finish an actual very hard campaign. Those can make you play longer then you might without.

Then you might still wanna use more/new mods to spice things up. If you complain about the Chaos Invasion for example, you can challenge yourself a bit
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1595848110
    or
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1957318361
    to be forced to try other army compositions instead of those you might be used to.

------Red Dox

Thx i might try hunting the last achievements but i usually find it boring if it doesn't involve a challange but rather just tedious time consumation.

The Chaos invasion Mod i actually might look into but it looks like it only makes the invasion bigger, not arrive earlier like i want. Basically when the invasions starts i am usually so powerful it doesn't matter how many spikey boyz they send at me :/

SFO already have unit caps in so i am not running 20 necrofex stacks ;)
  • Frank9945671Frank9945671 Registered Users Posts: 174
    Ask CA for storyline, because now TW games still just about picking factions and masturbation(here is no goal, deep story, gameplay or smthg). Battles is fine, but blood looks like ketchup and CA don't care about that, so... Can't say this game is bad, but sometimes here is just nothing to do(and here is no connection with "doomstacks"). We have kinda scripted dead world, we even can't change anything. Look at Endless Legend game - here is also no real storyline and battles sucks, but you can change the world and gameplay much deeper.

Ask CA for storyline, because now TW games still just about picking factions and masturbation(here is no goal, deep story, gameplay or smthg). Battles is fine, but blood looks like ketchup and CA don't care about that, so... Can't say this game is bad, but sometimes here is just nothing to do(and here is no connection with "doomstacks"). We have kinda scripted dead world, we even can't change anything. Look at Endless Legend game - here is also no real storyline and battles sucks, but you can change the world and gameplay much deeper.

Although i can see what you mean i personally disagree with you. Vortex campaign includes a story line and has a goal, yet i only played it once and have forever since been drawn to mortal empires campains.
    Blood/gore effects looks great if only it was turned down a notch on the full body coating after 1 sword swipe.

In my oppinion the game just badly needs something that scales the difficulty progressively higher the longer you play a campaign. And a random spawn of 5 chaos stacks at turn 180 does not really challange me that much.

I have above 1000 hours in the game so maybe i'm just burned out lol :) If only i could stop the urge to start a new campaign all the time.
  • hhhmmmhhhmmm Registered Users Posts: 160
    Two things that help me maintain interest for longer:
    1. Sometimed add a mod that removes the chaos invasions. Killing the same stacks 50 times in a row gets tedious
    2. Add the no-siege mod that makes all battles field battles. Siege battles are super boring because the AI handles them do poorly + the mechanics of sieges aren't very good.

hhhmmm said:

Two things that help me maintain interest for longer:
    1. Sometimed add a mod that removes the chaos invasions. Killing the same stacks 50 times in a row gets tedious
    2. Add the no-siege mod that makes all battles field battles. Siege battles are super boring because the AI handles them do poorly + the mechanics of sieges aren't very good.

1. Well that basically contradicts my wishes of more challenge :D
    2. I agree sieges get tedious but it's usually because they boil down to either:
    - You attack with overwhelming force and can just outoresolve or steamroll after u get siege towers/rams built.
    - You attack with sufficient or below optimal force and the ai sallies out to meet you in battle.

This is a problem because you never get to siege attack with a decent challenge, where the ai allows you to build the siege equipment needed to maybe win that (so you have to cheese).

Funny though, some of my all time greatest battles have been defensive sieges, where i have a big balanced army defending against countless enemies (preferebly 3-5 stacks)
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 11,397
    Pede said:

Although i can see what you mean i personally disagree with you. Vortex campaign includes a story line and has a goal, yet i only played it once and have forever since been drawn to mortal empires campains.
    Blood/gore effects looks great if only it was turned down a notch on the full body coating after 1 sword swipe.

In my oppinion the game just badly needs something that scales the difficulty progressively higher the longer you play a campaign. And a random spawn of 5 chaos stacks at turn 180 does not really challange me that much.

I have above 1000 hours in the game so maybe i'm just burned out lol :) If only i could stop the urge to start a new campaign all the time.
    I feel the same mate. One day I enjoy a campaign and the next I just want to start a new one. That’s the downside of having so many interesting factions to choose from. 😅

I actually started to play 2 campaigns at the same time. I mean not literally at the same time of course. Never was a fan of doing it but right now it’s a great way to not get bored.

So right now I just started another Alith Anar and another Gor-Rok vortex campaign. As Alith Anar I go for pure Shadow Walker warfare and as Gor-Rok for full melee power. Both factions play absolutely different, so I can switch between them from day to day depending on my mood.

The last few evenings I played Gor-Rok, but today I will maybe continue with Alith Anar if I have some Time. I‘m quite busy these days so don’t have that much time to play the game at all.
  • KroetentoetenKroetentoeten Registered Users Posts: 68
    Pede said:

I have tried everything from roleplaying, modding (mainly SFO) and running silly army compositions. Every time i start a new campaign i lose interest at arround turn 60-70 because game becomes too easy.
    I play on very hard both campaign and battle difficulty, but as soon as i have taken over a region it usually becomes a snowballing game from there, with no army being able to win vs my semi doomstack.

I always wish the chaos invasion starts earlier, because only when outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 there is a decent challenge.

Ofc i lose battles when they attack semi-undefended cities, but i miss a good challenge for my main army, which the ai avoids like the plague.

I don't want to play legendary because i dislike playing whack a mole/riot in my cities due to insane PO penalties.

Suggestions?

Do the challenge...

I am at turn 50 and had to restart because my loss was eminent. On a promising new try now. With empire that is. Dwarfs are still to easy - had to stop that one cause the challenge was gone turn 25...

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/258264/legends-of-total-war#latest
    ArneSo said:

I feel the same mate. One day I enjoy a campaign and the next I just want to start a new one. That’s the downside of having so many interesting factions to choose from. 😅

I actually started to play 2 campaigns at the same time. I mean not literally at the same time of course. Never was a fan of doing it but right now it’s a great way to not get bored.

So right now I just started another Alith Anar and another Gor-Rok vortex campaign. As Alith Anar I go for pure Shadow Walker warfare and as Gor-Rok for full melee power. Both factions play absolutely different, so I can switch between them from day to day depending on my mood.

The last few evenings I played Gor-Rok, but today I will maybe continue with Alith Anar if I have some Time. I‘m quite busy these days so don’t have that much time to play the game at all.

I have tried two campaigns at the same time, but i hit the same issue with it not being challenging enough and i get bored very suddenly at arround turn 70. Then the next day (like today) i think: " Oh boy i could start a campaign as vampire coast and really play like a seafaring pirate just pillaging coastal towns".

But alas, i know i will inevitably get bored of it because of the stale challenge it provides. I absolutely hate and LOVE how this game makes me start over and over and over. It's immensely intriguing to the point you have to try a new start with another race/lord, but grows stale fast each time :( Love/hate relationship :D

Do the challenge...

I am at turn 50 and had to restart because my loss was eminent. On a promising new try now. With empire that is. Dwarfs are still to easy - had to stop that one cause the challenge was gone turn 25...

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/258264/legends-of-total-war#latest

Now this.. This might just be interresting! I am already using SFO and never skill lightning strike.
    If only i could play legendary without the crazy PO penalties. Is there a mod for this, i will have to look out for.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 9,477
    As long as you have fun with your time it doesnt matter if restart or not
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • philosofoolphilosofool Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 384
    It might be time for a new hobby.

Why not learn how to make good videos and create one for YouTube called “Total War Warhammer: How to win battles on Very Hard?” I apparently suck at battles because I don’t see how anyone does that and promise to watch your video.
  • 10101010 Registered Users Posts: 246

Why not learn how to make good videos and create one for YouTube called “Total War Warhammer: How to win battles on Very Hard?” I apparently suck at battles because I don’t see how anyone does that and promise to watch your video.

Zerkovitch

I have plenty hobbies and a son on the way aswell, so it's not because i have an abundance of time. I just find it sad to build up an empire just to be bored of it and start over all the time.

And youtube content on this matter is saturated already. Besides, i want to play the game, not show others how to :D
  • Jman5Jman5 Registered Users Posts: 770
    I struggle with this too. What helps is to give myself short-term goals to strive towards.

1. Check out the Chapter Objectives and try to complete all the bonus objectives.

2. Build an expeditionary army and use it to invade some faction you have been ignoring.

3. Check out the short victory objectives and see if you can complete any of them.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,727
    Others above have made some cool suggestions.

But, that being said, there is nothing wrong with ending a campaign on turn 70, and starting a new campaign.

I tend to try both approaches. That is, I achievement hunt, I try new mods, I do all the LL quests, I try to unlock all the units and landmarks. But I also end a bunch of campaigns around turn 70.

• 10101010 Registered Users Posts: 246
    There is more than one Total War game.
  • Frank9945671Frank9945671 Registered Users Posts: 174
    Pede said:

Answer on your question, probably: declare war to everyone.

Anyway, Warhammer is best thing happened with TW in last years. I have above 3k hours in TWW2 and I feel the same about Vortex\ME replayability, but I don't think Vortex is bad, I guess problem in armies spawning, all the time - I think we need some story, but without insane spawns, I guess CA never tested this aspect of Vortex campaign... You always can paint map in your colour, but some story would be nice to get. Also, this game is not real sandbox game, because you simply can't setting up your start.

Why TW series not evolve? Why TWW sieges sucks? Look at Stronghold 1\Crusader. CA must know something about real medieval cities\castles or not? Why we can't setting up defece like in Stronghold? Why diplomacy in Warhammer is so bad? Why some AI factions so badly scripted? Why ambushes is so bad in Warhammer?

Look at tabletop fanatics... They don't understand a simple thing: this is not TT game and, probably, people who made TT know nothing about real history, because some races(Bretonnia, HE, DE) have no real artillery options. Look at history of Japan and what happened when this isolated country have made contact with some progressive countries.

Look at Clan Eshin or Skryre, they both have some really good unique mechanics and what about all other races\factions? I mean TK looks great, but I can't say the same about all races. And I think we need more deeper city managment mechanics. Where is taxes settings from old games? Why we can't craft or buy items in some market by any faction? Where is land encountes? Why we have only sea one? That's strange. 1vs1 animations has gone. In Warhamer we have a lot of legendary characters, but they are don't interact with each other for real. I mean, TW must evolve.

Look at 3k... I have done campaign as one faction and I can't find any reason to play as another, because they are all the same(except yellow turbans, but I can't find them fun). Some features from 3k must be added in TWW3, for sure.

I like TW and Warhammer, but, to be honest, I want to get candy like Pillars of Eternity or Dragon Age:Origins, etc, where all aspects of the game was great or almost great. After that replayability of TWW will increase. A lot of offtopic, sorry, but that's true.
  • dchip1dchip1 Registered Users Posts: 646
    I just finished an Exiles Nehek ME campaign all the way until I achieved a long campaign victory. I highly recommend that campaign like Its sort of hard and slow at first but its crazy how hard a TK faction snow balls so it's fun just building up to that
  • RedReVengeRedReVenge Registered Users Posts: 48
    Pede said:

Suggestions?

My suggestions:

#1 Play on legendary.

Don't say your campaign is easy/get bored easy when you have a harder difficulty. Legendary really makes a difference. I haven't played on an easier difficulty since Medieval TW2.

#2 No doomstacks.

Some armies can take on several armies at once. A good rule is to limit yourself to a maximum of 4/5 of each Tier 4/5 unit per army. This prevents silly armies that can steamroll everything.

#3 Play harder campaigns.

Clan Angrund, Mors, Exiles of Nehek (my newest campaign) are some of the few I've played and they are significantly harder to play then their counter part factions.

#4 Additional objectives.

Make a theme and go acquire it before doing other things. For TK, I limit my expansion until I've acquired X amount of books. Or I recently did a migration campaign with Hag Grief.

Another option that I call is "No survivors" when I play on legendary, but I go to war with every faction (no diplomacy). Every new faction is declared war with.

#5 Limit cheese.

Don't use Lords/Heroes to waste enemy ammunition. Don't throw a single unit to make the enemy blob up, so you can blow up the blob with your artillery. There are several other examples, but these are a few.

• Jman5Jman5 Registered Users Posts: 770
    edited February 12

#1 Play on legendary.

Don't say your campaign is easy/get bored easy when you have a harder difficulty. Legendary really makes a difference. I haven't played on an easier difficulty since Medieval TW2.

To be honest I find raising the difficulty to be a little overrated. I got into Total War last year and I went from normal, to hard, to very hard to now Legendary. While it certainly makes a big difference in the early game, once your faction hits its stride, it doesn't feel all that much different going from V.Hard to Legendary. The only thing I will say for Legendary is that it does help you iron out a few bad habits and make you a better player. You can't constantly pause battles and issue perfect orders and you can't save scum as easily.
  • QuecoQueco Registered Users Posts: 267
    I have also started endless campaigns, but my issue are mods! So many cool mods are constantly getting released that I want to restart a campaign just to get that new mod content in!
  • epic_160095107267RzXYm7Mepic_160095107267RzXYm7M Registered Users Posts: 328
    I'm similar, a campaign is mainly about the start, then gets dull.

I tend to run the invade lothern plan the most.

The random start position mod, is a good option or the one where you use x2 legendary lords at once from the same faction.
  • Iron00Iron00 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 102
    Three thoughts dominate my feelings on this.

1. What is wrong with ending your campaigns around turn 70? Once you have accomplished whatever goals have come to you over the course of that storyline, you will of course lose interest and I see no problem with that. In order not to be left feeling incomplete, just make sure to have an interesting long-term goal decided ahead of time. Once you have accomplished it, that campaign should probably end.

2. CA should invest a bit more development in narrative goals, like the Vortex campaign, that help guide the players. I like a sandbox to a degree, but no narrative eventually leads to no interest for me.

3. I have found 1v1 multiplayer campaigns to breathe an awesome new life into the campaign for me. With simple goals such as first player to capture their opponents capital, or first player to complete a certain number of vortex rituals, games have natural endings and WTW provides a perfect environment for a strategy head-to-head with your friends. I would of course make use of more players, if CA would allow it.
  • KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 2,483
    edited February 12
    Become a fanboy of a certain faction(s) like I did. Read up on them and their faction and lore and live and breathe them. I pretty much only play Dark Elves, Skaven and soon to be Greenskins campaigns these days. I have always disliked human races in fantasy settings, so playing as one of them isn't a problem for me. High Elves are cool, but I have always leaned more toward the evil bad guys in games that I play. So that pretty much narrows my options down by default :)

• EldrickEldrick Registered Users Posts: 524
    Pick a region far away from your home region, go conquer it abandoning your home region. Build tall and just keep the one region to see how long you survive.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,609
    There’s a mod or two out there that makes the AI waaaay more aggressive. I’m not good at this game by any means, but I play on a very hard campaign and the mods usually keeps me on my toes