Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Gifting allies $$$

mewade44mewade44 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 793
edited February 16 in General Discussion
After years of playing this game there's several times where mid campaign your Ally across map who's fighting the enemy you don't want to fight is Losing so I'll send them large amounts of money in hopes they will buy an elite army. Upgrade their cities buildings and defenses. Etc Etc.

I always wonder does this help at all actually. The AI cheats anyhow. But does the AI actually use the money sent to get back in the fight. Seems this far that AI doesn't.

-In side note also AI allies never send me any $$$ when I'm down and deny when I ask lol

Comments

• GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Registered Users Posts: 174
    I doubt it, the AI doesn't ever seem to have money trouble, and can obviously support way more units from a single town than the player and trivially replace them when killed.
  • Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Registered Users Posts: 734
    AI is somewhat dumb (there are some mods to improve AI but they are limited and atm out of date).

But giving him $$ is particularly good if he is low on cities or recently lost armies.
    Afaik they will rebuild armies and develop cities (works better with the mentioned mods).
    Check out the Community Bug Fix Mod on the Steam Workshop.
  • Thebessa2108Thebessa2108 Registered Users Posts: 28
    Yes,they use the money, the problem is that you need more than gold to win a war

The AI can only recruir elite units if they have the respective military building, even if they have the right buildings, recruit an strong army takes time, and more often than not the AI won't have enought time
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,282
    I'm not sure in TW Warhammer.... but in TW Three Kingdoms... you give an AI 100,000 gold... and he'll conquer Northern China with stacks upon stacks upon stacks xD
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,099
    Supporting an ally financially will mean they spend that money. How and on what of course is dependant ob their priorities, not yours unfortunately.

Giving them a target usually means they will build a new army, specifically for the job. Which can take several turns and appear they do nothing within 5-7 turns. Sometimes though, you ask them to attack a city they are just not capable of, this actually means they do nothing for a long time. Presumably trying to grow or save to achieve that currently over zealous goal in the future.

The AI just takes longer, it finishes a task before issuing new orders. Rarely reacts turn to turn and if it can't do it, has no way to explain why.

Building upgrades are likely part of the delayed cause.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,385
    I think I saw somewhere a post that said the AI has a limit on how much money they will spend a turn. So if you are giving them more money than they would spend in a turn, then there is no impact. But if they are not at their limit, then the extra money is useful.

there can also be questions about how efficient the AI is at spending money. i.e are they giving the money to other AI factions? are they buying stuff and then getting rid of it? etc.

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,107
    mewade44 said:

After years of playing this game there's several times where mid campaign your Ally across map who's fighting the enemy you don't want to fight is Losing so I'll send them large amounts of money in hopes they will buy an elite army. Upgrade their cities buildings and defenses. Etc Etc.

I always wonder does this help at all actually. The AI cheats anyhow. But does the AI actually use the money sent to get back in the fight. Seems this far that AI doesn't.

-In side note also AI allies never send me any $$$ when I'm down and deny when I ask lol

Yes, it helps, especially the last few patches. They have less stringent restrictions on military spending now. It takes a lot though. Thousands. As Vlad I often use Stirland as a proxy -- at least before the empire patch. I'd get them very large by funding them.

If you do that now, though, there is no point. Eventually ALL provinces get confederated. 100 turn military alliance with you be damned! TBH, I dislike that the AI uses that mechanic. I wish I could toggle confederations off all together. They break the game hardcore.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,107
    Ask for money when you can beat your friends up. If you can't, they mostly say no unless they love you or are your vassals.
  • Okknight84Okknight84 Registered Users Posts: 48
    It can be pretty effective actually. As the Dwarfs I usually have a hefty treasury around turn 50 and I start dolling it out to Reikland and Bretonia, by turn 100 Norsca is completely wiped out. Right now I'm doing a Reikland campaign where Lothern is being pretty aggressive with as Chaos is moving south, instead of dividing my forces I've been bankrolling Bretonnia who is also at with them as a buffer.
  • VladimiriVladimiri Registered Users Posts: 180
    edited February 17

It can be pretty effective actually. As the Dwarfs I usually have a hefty treasury around turn 50 and I start dolling it out to Reikland and Bretonia, by turn 100 Norsca is completely wiped out. Right now I'm doing a Reikland campaign where Lothern is being pretty aggressive with as Chaos is moving south, instead of dividing my forces I've been bankrolling Bretonnia who is also at with them as a buffer.

You clearly have mastered to art of modern warfare, sir. Making donations from the comfort of your home watching your enemies fall :D

Edit: Come to think of it, wonder if it'd be possible to create a Grand empire of Barak Varr just by feeding them so much money they almost choke to it.