Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Can I ask about the uniform editor?

1235»

Comments

  • Red-TankRed-Tank Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    People need to realize that Kieran Brigden(i don't care if it's not the correct spelling) is CA's hype machine. He has to get you excited about the game, lying about it just part of it, the politically correct term is embellish. If you're not excited then he's not doing his job right but obviously you were because you bought the game.
  • Chris42899Chris42899 Senior Member Posts: 1,028Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    At least they could say after all this months: "No, there won't be an editor!"
  • SkollopSkollop Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,291Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Red-Tank wrote: »
    People need to realize that Kieran Brigden(i don't care if it's not the correct spelling) is CA's hype machine. He has to get you excited about the game, lying about it just part of it, the politically correct term is embellish. If you're not excited then he's not doing his job right but obviously you were because you bought the game.
    I bought this game as a fan. I would buy it no matter if the editor is in or not. Doesn't matter at all to me. Would you really not have bought the game if you knew the editor would not be released for a long time after? And yeah then he didn't do his job. I wasn't exited about that feature in the game. Peopel are just complaining about this "product" of a uniform editor because it's not released. The people I have spoken to only wants the editor because it was promised and we don't have it. Not because it's one of the cool features of the game. I would personally have been totally ****ed if something like naval battles wasn't in the game but this is such a small thing. So relax guys :)
    Previously known as DenmarkRules
  • Green JacketGreen Jacket Senior Member Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, EnglandPosts: 1,512Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    THEY'RE PLAYING WITH PEOPLE EMOTIONS HERE!

    seriously tho to me its not a small thing, its something i've been wanting for since med2 :(
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe"
  • PrussianPrussian Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    In my opinion the support for their games has become worse in general. The uniform editor is only one evidence for this assumption. But what disturbs me much more is that they have started to release their games half finished. And in spite of their use of steam they deliver only a few bad quality patches that introduce nearly as many new bugs as they fix old ones.
    It seems CA really thinks all of their customers and fans are stupid so they forget quickly about these things and only wait for being fooled again.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited September 2010
    Prussian wrote: »
    In my opinion the support for their games has become worse in general. The uniform editor is only one evidence for this assumption. But what disturbs me much more is that they have started to release their games half finished. And in spite of their use of steam they deliver only a few bad quality patches that introduce nearly as many new bugs as they fix old ones.
    It seems CA really thinks all of their customers and fans are stupid so they forget quickly about these things and only wait for being fooled again.

    Well I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that everything you said is wrong.

    Empire was the most supported game in Total War history with more patches than any game previously, with more community consultation as regards CA asking us what we wanted to be added than any game previously and has the distinction of being the title that finally persuaded CA to form a permanent public beta testing group.

    Napoleon was the most polished release in the series, with no major bugs and hence no major patches being released only small hotfixes that have been distributed in the background by Steam. The perceived lack of support for this game is not a negative it's a positive because it shows Napoleon simply hasn't needed the support and that's how it should be with all games really.
  • fish food carlfish food carl Member Posts: 50Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Well I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that everything you said is wrong.

    Empire was the most supported game in Total War history with more patches than any game previously, with more community consultation as regards CA asking us what we wanted to be added than any game previously and has the distinction of being the title that finally persuaded CA to form a permanent public beta testing group.

    Napoleon was the most polished release in the series, with no major bugs and hence no major patches being released only small hotfixes that have been distributed in the background by Steam. The perceived lack of support for this game is not a negative it's a positive because it shows Napoleon simply hasn't needed the support and that's how it should be with all games really.

    You know, it really doesn't take much pointing out that you just made opposite justifications for quality.

    You say that more patches = better support.

    But, fewer patches = better pre-release state.

    You cannot have that both ways. By your logic, either Napoleon has not received good support, or Empire was released in the most broken and mangled state of any TW game.

    It's lovely that you try and spin things like, "Empire got lots of patches!" into a good thing, but really. In the same post as, "Napoleon was released in a better state" is shooting yourself in the foot.

    Fact is, Empire got more patches because it **** well needed them.

    And that Napoleon, while not as buggy, has still had a horrible time, since CA completely lied, and broke the advertising laws. Even if CA release it tomorrow, I'm still only getting Shogun 2 Used, and I'm certainly filing a complaint with the ASA.

    Two games down... I wouldn't be surprised if with Shogun 2, Kieran arrives at my house and hits me with a bat.
  • darren jkdarren jk Senior Member Praying in the temple of shireknights cultPosts: 2,059Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    :)

    (Empire was the most supported game in Total War history with more patches than any game )

    Thats because it was released in bits like lego lol
    VENI VIDI VICI :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited September 2010
    You know, it really doesn't take much pointing out that you just made opposite justifications for quality.

    You say that more patches = better support.

    But, fewer patches = better pre-release state.

    You cannot have that both ways. By your logic, either Napoleon has not received good support, or Empire was released in the most broken and mangled state of any TW game.

    It's lovely that you try and spin things like, "Empire got lots of patches!" into a good thing, but really. In the same post as, "Napoleon was released in a better state" is shooting yourself in the foot.

    Fact is, Empire got more patches because it **** well needed them.

    And that Napoleon, while not as buggy, has still had a horrible time, since CA completely lied, and broke the advertising laws. Even if CA release it tomorrow, I'm still only getting Shogun 2 Used, and I'm certainly filing a complaint with the ASA.

    Two games down... I wouldn't be surprised if with Shogun 2, Kieran arrives at my house and hits me with a bat.

    Yes agreed it's easy for people to make things mean whatever they want them to mean however when it boils down to it when the games need the help CA are always there to supply that help. Prussian was saying that in his opinion the support for the games has gotten worse and I just wanted to point out that in fact the support is better now than it's ever been before. If a game has needed patches CA have always provided them no arguments there but now with the added consultation and the public beta team overall support has moved to a completely new and better level.

    Uniform editor? yeah ok you got me there I'm as confused as you guys about what's happening but I'm sure all will be revealed in time.
  • Green JacketGreen Jacket Senior Member Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, EnglandPosts: 1,512Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    "I'm still only getting Shogun 2 Used"

    sorry to say u wont be able to play it then lol...
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe"
  • King SamaKing Sama Junior Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Is there any word of CA on this?
    When is it coming and what does it do?
    Well according to text files of the unit editor, this is what it can do:
    -add, takeaway, and replace different model and texture parts of skin(face and hands) and uniform, including hats, weapons (maybe), clothing, extra flashy stuff
    -change the color of uniform parts
    -take screenshots
    -automatically create unit cards and unit info pics

    keep in mind, this is all based on non-functioning random text files in the game, but if the unit editor were released it would make unit modding so much easier. I don't know about making new units though, it might still require some db modding.
  • zlamajzlamaj Member Posts: 61Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Prussian was saying that in his opinion the support for the games has gotten worse and I just wanted to point out that in fact the support is better now than it's ever been before. If a game has needed patches CA have always provided them no arguments there but now with the added consultation and the public beta team overall support has moved to a completely new and better level.

    Prior to Empire, modders could fix TW games, and they did. Empire was the start of a new trend where CA HAD to fix the bugs or no one would. It would be interesting to count how many bugs were fixed versus how many were ignored or made worse.
  • King SamaKing Sama Junior Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    zlamaj wrote: »
    Prior to Empire, modders could fix TW games, and they did. Empire was the start of a new trend where CA HAD to fix the bugs or no one would. It would be interesting to count how many bugs were fixed versus how many were ignored or made worse.
    Not true. The only such example I can think of is that the ai is less moddable, but you have mods like Darthmod that do a good job in erradicating ETWs flaws. Look back at older games and their mods. The mods might be good but they all suffer from the same basic problems that are inherent in their respective game.
  • RobertIainRobertIain Junior Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Uniform editor? yeah ok you got me there I'm as confused as you guys about what's happening but I'm sure all will be revealed in time.

    Unfortunately though, the 'time' was when it was advertised as being in the package that people paid for, or at worst soon afterwards with an explanation for the delay - not a few months later (if it ever does turn up - it's impossible to have a lot of confidence in this appearing when we are told absolutely nothing at all, after a lot of questions about it went unanswered and the advertising subtly changed to drop any mention of it)....
  • zlamajzlamaj Member Posts: 61Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    King Sama wrote: »
    Not true. The only such example I can think of is that the ai is less moddable, but you have mods like Darthmod that do a good job in erradicating ETWs flaws. Look back at older games and their mods. The mods might be good but they all suffer from the same basic problems that are inherent in their respective game.

    I didn't mean the AI. It's the last of my worries. What I meant are bugs that are either deal breakers of give the player too much grief and limit the replayability. You won't struggle to think of a list of such bugs. If this was MEII these bugs would've been fixed by modders the first week of release, but the tools aren't there so the developer is the only party that can fix it. Think of how annoying the technology tabs or the unrepairable forts if you want a start :)
  • malumalu Member Posts: 49Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Well I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that everything you said is wrong.

    Empire was the most supported game in Total War history with more patches than any game previously, with more community consultation as regards CA asking us what we wanted to be added than any game previously and has the distinction of being the title that finally persuaded CA to form a permanent public beta testing group.

    Napoleon was the most polished release in the series, with no major bugs and hence no major patches being released only small hotfixes that have been distributed in the background by Steam. The perceived lack of support for this game is not a negative it's a positive because it shows Napoleon simply hasn't needed the support and that's how it should be with all games really.

    I would like to add these screenshots in the topic of Napoleon-functioning and its patches ....
    -

    http://fastpic.ru/view/9/2010/0915/00a6b34c0774d8b7f3d2c42f2c51c228.jpg.html

    http://fastpic.ru/view/9/2010/0915/525f9406ea59b2509e48e5058d764b0c.jpg.html


    on these pictures can be seen opposite to your assertion that Napoleon made qualitatively, work is very careless, if we talk openly

    .... would not like to criticize Napoleon but bugs are too visible
    good and bad have to compare but compared to what the Empire, or Rome - compare and infer

    sorry for my english, hope you understand the meaning of
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited September 2010
    The pictures look fine to me.
  • PrussianPrussian Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    So you don't seem to know the game very well. Because everyone else realizes that the Oldenburg units are using Empire skins and models. That bug exists since version 1.0.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited September 2010
    Yes it probably represents that their army hasn't upgraded their military model since the time of Empire. Just because a countries neighbours adopt new military styles or protocols does not mean that they will as well, some countries prize economic advances over military ones so it's quite conceivable that they will use the same model for many decades before a decision is taken to update things.

    Although it's been seriously exaggerated there is still the famous story from WWII where Poland charged German tanks with Cavalry supposedly because they simply couldn't grasp that war had moved on since their army was formed and they hadn't kept up with the times plus of course you have the old colonial battles between various native factions and the European powers, just because Great Britain used cannon against the Zulu's you didn't see Zulu foundries start popping up throughout their lands so that they could make their own cannon lol.
  • PrussianPrussian Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Incredible. Either you really did not understand what i tried to tell you or you sell me a bug as a game feature :D.
  • KEDKED Senior Member Posts: 317Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Besides the uniforms that may or may not be wrong, the Lancers have no Lances. As a matter of fact they seem to have no weapons at all.
  • King SamaKing Sama Junior Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    zlamaj wrote: »
    I didn't mean the AI. It's the last of my worries. What I meant are bugs that are either deal breakers of give the player too much grief and limit the replayability. You won't struggle to think of a list of such bugs. If this was MEII these bugs would've been fixed by modders the first week of release, but the tools aren't there so the developer is the only party that can fix it. Think of how annoying the technology tabs or the unrepairable forts if you want a start :)
    Most of the bugs that could be fixed in earlier releases can still be fixed. The tools for such modding exists, its mainly lacking in model conversion, mapping, and ui placement (.luacs). But it is true that ETW came with a lot of inherent bugs in the system itself, ones which modders can't access, but I think those inherent system bugs are largely fixed in NTW (not to say they don't exist, like the fort thing you mentioned)

    Also, whats annoying about the tech tabs?
  • secret spysecret spy Banned Posts: 786Banned Users
    edited September 2010
    btw, that empire skin bug can affect all nations as the empire skns are used as placeholders to stop the game crashing when somethings go wrong.
  • zlamajzlamaj Member Posts: 61Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    when trading technology in Empire, the tabs are often stuck to each other and can't access one or more of them, ever. That's not a minor bug. And you seem to be missing the point. No matter how good Napoleon is, it doesn't right the wrongs of Empire. The only way to sort this out is to fix the bugs in Empire. It's over a year now and we still have to put up bad coding that causes memory leaks constantly. And if as you claim the modding tools are available, many of the major mods out now would have fixed the game and made it to the best game ever, as it certainly has the potential to be.

    At the end of the day, nothing changes the fact that the developers didn't really wake up one day and realize they cannot fix their bugs due to lack of programming skills. They chose not to. They had a more lucrative project on and they decided not to support their previous title. Add to the broken Empire game, the Napoleon uniform editor episode and you have a company that is trying to distract its customers with shiny new things to make them forget about the problems in the past. No matter how awesome Shogun 2 is, it won't make it "go away" ... you customers aren't 12 year-olds, CA.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,673Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited September 2010
    Guess this thread is still alive because everyone quite talking about a Uniform Editor? :) ;)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited September 2010
    Yeah that's a good point dge1 the uniform editor has been discussed to death now and this thread is just branching out into general moaning about everything which is what the R&R forum is for.

    Well before I consign the thread to the history books I'll just quickly say thanks for all your input everyone obviously the uniform editor remains a bone of contention at the moment so lets just be patient and wait until something definite is known, when there is news I'm sure we won't be able to miss it grouphug.gif

    Sayonara thread gnight.gif
This discussion has been closed.