Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

My strangest and smallest victory.

ScorepioScorepio Senior MemberPosts: 256Registered Users
edited September 2010 in Napoleon: Total War
My enemy and I had both one unit left fighting each other. They both routed at the same time. I got the victory.
Never saw it before.
[PORTABLE-ID]scorepio[/PORTABLE-ID]
Post edited by Scorepio on

Comments

• DenmarkRulesDenmarkRules Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,192Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Actually I think Pyrrhic victory is named after someone. Got the story long time ago.
    I only got it once too, but that was in a multiplayer battle where I totally pwned my opponent :D
    "The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • ScorepioScorepio Senior Member Posts: 256Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Actually I think Pyrrhic victory is named after someone. Got the story long time ago.
    I only got it once too, but that was in a multiplayer battle where I totally pwned my opponent :D

It's named after Pyrrhus of Epirus.
    [PORTABLE-ID]scorepio[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • Stukaboy2Stukaboy2 Senior Member Posts: 364Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    strange...ive had one unit on both sides fighting each other, both routing at same time, and i didn't get that...*sobs*
    [PORTABLE-ID]stukaboy2[/PORTABLE-ID]

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
  • yazzazinyazzazin Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Denmarkrules i kinda dont believe ya
    it means a victory but with a devastating cost to you.
  • drno31drno31 Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Stukaboy2 wrote: »
    strange...ive had one unit on both sides fighting each other, both routing at same time, and i didn't get that...*sobs*

20 units vs 20 units, all of the units had routed except for my one unit of howitzer and their one unit of horse cannon. Mine won the day and still I got heroic victory. There's gotta be some other catch to getting Pyrrhic victory!
  • Jack DavidsonJack Davidson Senior Member Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 1,033Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I've had a few Pyrrhic Victories...I actually laughed the first time I saw it come up...heheh. :D Usually I get them, if I have one of my stacks supporting an allied force. If the allied stack/city is attacked by a superior enemy force and I estimate the chances of winning are reasonable, I will commit to reinforce, watch the battle unfold, usually see the intitial allied force start to route, and then my army will enter the battlefield to fight the remaining enemy forces. If I go on to win the battle I will often get the Pyrrhic Victory, not so much because my own forces suffered casualties but because my ally sustained great loss in the first phase.

Yep, as Scorepio said, the term derives from King Pyrrhus of Epirus and his battles with the Romans. Generally it means a victory that comes at a great cost, a cost that the victor can ill afford. During The Pyrrhic War, although heavy casualties were sustained on both sides, Pyrrhus the victor could not easily replace his losses, whereas the Romans could.

Cheers :)
    "...how bloody-minded some men are [yet] bloody, mad, swearing, flashy fellows are commonly but ordinary fellows in the face of their enemy". William Dampier, 1685.
  • DenmarkRulesDenmarkRules Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,192Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    yazzazin wrote: »
    Denmarkrules i kinda dont believe ya
    it means a victory but with a devastating cost to you.

Well that's true. It was a 2vs2 and my team won big, but I only had a few units left but my teammate almost a full army.
    "The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS