Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total war middle-earth

AzurianAzurian Registered Users Posts: 1,705
I wonder what happened to the rights to the universe with the death of Christopher Tolkien? As far as I know, Games Workshop partially has rights, in any case they release a board game based on the world of Middle-earth. And Creative Assembly, of course, understands that such a project will pay off with interest. All complexity is exclusively in copyright.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________ I apologize, I understand that this topic has become tired of many, but I forgot all the arguments given earlier))

Tagged:

Comments

• Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,508
    Games Workshop specifically only has the rights to release a tabletop miniature game based on Middle-Earth. Even more restricted: I believe Games Workshop's licence only concerns specifically the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books. That's the most famous ones, of course, but this probably explains we haven't seen GW rolling out any Silmarillion-specific minis.

Anyway, long talk made short: GW has no video game licences for anything Tolkien-related.

Addendum: Actually turns out that GW really only has a sub-license to make miniatures based on the New Line Cinema LotR and Hobbit movies specifically. Intellectual rights licensing is complicated stuff.

Since 2009, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has held all video game licenses for the Tolkien properties - once again only LotR and the Hobbit, as the other works (Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, etc.) have never been licensed for anything.
  • AzurianAzurian Registered Users Posts: 1,705

Games Workshop specifically only has the rights to release a tabletop miniature game based on Middle-Earth. Even more restricted: I believe Games Workshop's licence only concerns specifically the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books. That's the most famous ones, of course, but this probably explains we haven't seen GW rolling out any Silmarillion-specific minis.

Anyway, long talk made short: GW has no video game licences for anything Tolkien-related.

Addendum: Actually turns out that GW really only has a sub-license to make miniatures based on the New Line Cinema LotR and Hobbit movies specifically. Intellectual rights licensing is complicated stuff.

Since 2009, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has held all video game licenses for the Tolkien properties - once again only LotR and the Hobbit, as the other works (Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, etc.) have never been licensed for anything.

In your opinion, how difficult it would be to conclude an agreement with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment?

• TheExxorcistTheExxorcist Registered Users Posts: 3
    I'm sure this has been discussed many times... But does anyone know if this is possible? I mean, who wouldn't want a Total War based in the Lord of the Rings Middle Earth? All the factions and map is pretty much already there right??? Nazgul, Cave Trolls, Sarumons forces, Wizards, Elves, Spiders, Goblins, Trolls, Humans, Dwarfs, Dragons, Hobbits, Rohan... I know Warhammer already has most these units, but I really think some iconic locations and battles would be amazing... Plus who wouldn't want to send in a wall of Uruks and cave trolls to smash your enemy...?
    edited February 28
    I'm sure this idea has been brought up before... But why has this not been done yet? Warhammer is easily the best TW game I have played, but Middle Earth would be epic! The map and factions are already there right? Ring Wraiths, Nazgul, Hobbits, Cave Trolls, Humans, Orcs, Goblins, Orukai, Uroks, Sarumons forces, Wizards, Dwarfs ect. I know Warhammer already has most these units, aside from ring wraiths, Nazgul, Hobbits ect. But I think the setting would be Iconic and VERY noticeable to the general public. Cause, let's be frank here... More people in the world know what Lord of the Rings is over Warhammer lmao...
  • Asurwarrior998Asurwarrior998 Registered Users Posts: 135
    Yes please! I would LOVE that Soo much! I know we have third age and all, but I want CA to take a go themselves and go all in with a proper design team. BRING ME THE WOODLAND REALM. I feel like the Elves of mirkwood would be dlc, but id happily pay every cent for them
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Registered Users Posts: 1,875
    Eh, Total War Middle Earth would be a less diverse than Total War Warhammer.

I would rather see Total War: Wheel of Time. That would be sick
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 1,258
    Because the Middle earth games licance is owned by WB
  • Decim900Decim900 Registered Users Posts: 111
    Nono, sry, but now we wait TOTAL WAR 40,000 WAAAAGH!!!
    warhammer ofc
    OK! mr.TheExxorcist you know and you yourself say that there is much from the lord of the rings in the war hammer, 3 parts of the war hammer have been developed for 4 years and believe me, all the remaining ideas of the lord of the ring will be finished there, and by 2030, believe me, COSMIC TOTAL WAR AKA 40K WH.
  • KillTheWorldKillTheWorld Registered Users Posts: 423
    Watered down Warhammer? Hellz yeah! Wait, no, that's dumb.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,419
    I would have preferred middle earth than Warhammer tbh... something about leading a band of Uruk-hai or Easterlings to ransack and torch the shire just, make me desire it so.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,870
    Wrong section, this has nothing to do with the three kingdoms. @dge1 @BillyRuffian
    subsphinx said:

Watered down Warhammer? Hellz yeah! Wait, no, that's dumb.

Fair enough lol... I mean, how cool would it be to just smash in with a bunch of cave trolls though? Armored ones also? Idk. I love WH already, just wish there was a Middle Earth toggle lmao

Yes please! I would LOVE that Soo much! I know we have third age and all, but I want CA to take a go themselves and go all in with a proper design team. BRING ME THE WOODLAND REALM. I feel like the Elves of mirkwood would be dlc, but id happily pay every cent for them

I think it would be great also:) Let's face it, It would be the coolest LotR game on the planet would it not ? Some apparently disagree though:(
    Decim900 said:

OK! mr.TheExxorcist you know and you yourself say that there is much from the lord of the rings in the war hammer, 3 parts of the war hammer have been developed for 4 years and believe me, all the remaining ideas of the lord of the ring will be finished there, and by 2030, believe me, COSMIC TOTAL WAR AKA 40K WH.

Well, there are many things that would stand out. Aside from the setting alone. But there are Rings, Wraiths, Nazgul, The Army of the dead (Ghosts not skeletons from WH) the monstrous elephant fortresses, many different breeds of orcs and goblins, Orukai, Azulk the defiiler, the warewolf/bear druid guy, many different elf factions, dwarf factions, Ents (giant forest trees) ect. But yes, WH already has a lot of ideas from it I guess... like the trees lol
  • lilpopelilpope Registered Users Posts: 78
    They should make this as the next fantasy title, after WH3. Take everything they learned from WH and a decent dash from 3K & put it into TW middle earth. Theres a few dlc potential with the hobbit timeline, the second age (if timed up with the Amazon series, could really pop off).

This defiantly has the potential for the best aesthetically pleasing title to date.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 38,036