Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Halflings Speculation and Roster

xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 451
Here we are, at the end of all things. It's a sunny Sunday and so it seems a good time to release the Halflings Speculation and Roster! Link below:

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/fn248u/halflings_speculation_and_roster/

Apologies for the long wait on this one, have been lazy and busy with work at the same time. This will likely be the last one as well as other races like the Kingdoms of Ind, Khuresh, Hung/Kurgan or Fishmen don't have enough lore on them to make a roster. I might make a Monogods Speculation and Roster later on but I want to see Game 3 get announced before I do that.

Anyway, read away and ask any questions that you have!
Tagged:

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 7,753
    Halflings would be such a joke. 😂

Honestly, the most they should get is 1-3 units for DoW and the Empire, but making them their own race would be ridiculous.

Halflings, Amazons, Albion.... the best they can hope for is the Fimir treatment.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,907
    They could also be added to a particular Ogre faction as well.

I think they could be an option eventually, but similar to play Dan in the original Streetfighter Alpha, a poor fighter for the sake of a challenge.
  • YakintonYakinton Registered Users Posts: 325
    Mmmh a few units for empire and DoW, yes

Absolutely not as a faction
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,288
    They need six legendary lords with six starting locations in both ME, Vortex and WH3.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 11,866
    ArneSo said:

Honestly, the most they should get is 1-3 units for DoW and the Empire, but making them their own race would be ridiculous.

Halflings, Amazons, Albion.... the best they can hope for is the Fimir treatment.

Well the Halflings was still getting much more attention from GW than Cathay.
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 687
    Halflings>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all the other pathetic races of the warhammer world
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseeker, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 451
    ArneSo said:

I would go for both. An introduction in Dogs of War/Southern Realms and then a full race down the line. In fairness though, they are a joke race but still have something to offer.

They need six legendary lords with six starting locations in both ME, Vortex and WH3.

Six LLs? Two or four would be enough. Only major races should be going for six or more LLs (Dogs of War/Southern Realms being the only exclusion as they have plenty of options).
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 3,057
    Thanks for creating this, i´m currently reading through it all and enjoying it immensely!
    I for one am totally aboard with including "The Grand County Of Mootland" with all it´s amazing culinary items on offer, i need me some fowl swarms in my life 4sure!
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,376
    You don't need to invent an entire roster for the Halflings. Just give the Moot a unique building chain that lets Imperial and Tilean factions recruit Halfling archers (very sneaky skirmishers with high ranged damage due to Halflings' great aim) and Hot Pots for their armies and gives access to Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks RoR. That'd be a perfect way to represent them and their roles in Imperial and DoW armies.

You don't need to invent an entire roster for the Halflings. Just give the Moot a unique building chain that lets Imperial and Tilean factions recruit Halfling archers (very sneaky skirmishers with high ranged damage due to Halflings' great aim) and Hot Pots for their armies and gives access to Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks RoR. That'd be a perfect way to represent them and their roles in Imperial and DoW armies.

The Halflings already have a full roster, unlike Cathay, and the Comradeship assist the Halflings.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Halfling#Military

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Comradeship
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,413
    I want Halflings but I don’t think they should be a separate race. You should just be able to recruit halfling archers and Halfling Hot Pot. (Not sure if the Rooster Cavalry are official but I love their silliness)

Perhaps they should only be recruitable by the Empire, Ogre Kingdoms, DoW.

Halflings should be hardy and have stalk.
    Tayvar said:

The Halflings already have a full roster, unlike Cathay, and the Comradeship assist the Halflings.

Well the difference is that Halflings are pathetic and only populate 1 single settlement while Cathay is the largest human empire in the warhammer world. Unfortunately forgotten and ignored by GW. The same company that thought it would be cool to kill a fantasy universe that existed for more than 30 years.

Cathay is still unlikely, but it would be a better addition than halflings as a unique race.

Just imagine a Halfling ruling over Ulthuan.... ridiculous 😂

- Kislev
    - DoW/SR
    - Hobgoblins
    - Legions of Nagash
    - Kurgan
    - Monogod warriors of chaos
    - Cathay
    - Norse Dwarfs
    - Cult of Ulric

All of these would be great candidates for unique and semi unique races. But please no Halflings.
    edited March 22
    Tayvar said:

WARNING: LONG-*** POST

I'm fairly certain that Halfling roster was intended as a joke much like the Gnoblar "roster", and given that it has units like "Housewives", Great Eagles, and Treemen (are the latter two even native to the Empire, much less the Moot?), I'm inclined to think it is.

In any event, the Halflings of the Moot don't generally form armies and aren't interested in conquest and war as much as eating and stealing. The ones we see marching in Imperial and Dogs of War armies are the exceptions; the, to borrow from Tolkien, especially Tookish Halflings who have a strange urge for adventure. Most Halflings have no interest in those things.

The one time in the fluff I know of where a Halfling army is mentioned is during Gorbad Ironclaw's Waaagh! when they joined the army of Averland to defend the Moot at the Battle of Aver Down on pg. 17 of the 8th edition Orcs & Goblins army book. Despite fighting for their homes and being bolstered by human troops, the Halflings proved utterly worthless - the actual text says they were "easy prey, even for Goblins". The Averlanders couldn't make up for the Halflings' ineptitude and they were swiftly overwhelmed and killed nearly to a man. The Greenskins went on to sack the Moot, which was completely unprepared for an invasion.

This doesn't jive with the idea that the Halflings could defend themselves, let alone stand as a separate race from the Empire.

You keep bringing up Cathay in this and other threads. I don't like dragging Cathay into discussions of other races as it tends to lead to derailments, but here I'll make an exception:

Say what you will about their lack of fluff and unfitness for being added to the game, but at least whenever Cathay is mentioned or portrayed in the fluff, they're always strong. They don't depend on others to protect them when invaders come knocking. They stand on their own two legs as a large, powerful nation that's ready and willing to defend themselves and their interests, just like the Empire, Bretonnia, Kislev, Tilea, Estalia, Araby, even the Amazons. They aren't always successful in their endeavors - same as every other race, major and minor - but they're clearly able to survive and thrive in this dark fantasy world with their own courage and skill, and they've done so at least as long as Nehekhara has been a thing in-universe.

The Halflings aren't anywhere close to this. They can't invade other continents. They can't establish an independent realm. They can't even defend the small patch of land they call home, unlike practically every sapient race in Warhammer. They're universally derided as lazy gluttons, thieves, and terrible fighters, and the ones that actually are good fighters go join the armies of other Imperial states or become mercenaries or adventurers. They're the Gnoblars of the Empire - completely dependent on the strength of others to protect them from the horrors of the Warhammer World because as a race they're utterly incapable of looking out for themselves. And in that absolutely critical sense, Cathay utterly trumps them as race materiel, as does practically every other minor race.

Maybe if the Halflings established their home away from the human realms and been forced to defend themselves for multiple generations, they would be capable of being an independent race. But as they are now? Sitting on their bums in the Moot, practically ignoring military matters, basking in the security the Empire's soldiers fight and die to give them? They're absolutely not independent race materiel, and unless CA and GW completely rewrite the Halflings' lore, it's going to remain that way.

Sorry this is so long. I started writing and the words just flowed out of me.
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 687
    ArneSo said:

Tayvar said:

- Kislev
    - DoW/SR
    - Hobgoblins
    - Legions of Nagash
    - Kurgan
    - Cathay
    - Norse Dwarfs
    - Cult of Ulric

All of these would be great candidates for unique and semi unique races. But please no Halflings.
    So all these races would be good races/ semi races but somehow albion wouldnt? What is your criteria here?
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseeker, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

ArneSo said:

Tayvar said:

- Kislev
    - DoW/SR
    - Hobgoblins
    - Legions of Nagash
    - Kurgan
    - Cathay
    - Norse Dwarfs
    - Cult of Ulric

So all these races would be good races/ semi races but somehow albion wouldnt? What is your criteria here?
    Albion as a united race/faction/culture never really existed. It’s just one island.

Cult of Ulric should be part of the empire but it has enough official stuff to be semi unique race like Norsca.

Tayvar said:

I'm fairly certain that Halfling roster was intended as a joke much like the Gnoblar "roster", and given that it has units like "Housewives", Great Eagles, and Treemen (are the latter two even native to the Empire, much less the Moot?), I'm inclined to think it is.

In any event, the Halflings of the Moot don't generally form armies and aren't interested in conquest and war as much as eating and stealing. The ones we see marching in Imperial and Dogs of War armies are the exceptions; the, to borrow from Tolkien, especially Tookish Halflings who have a strange urge for adventure. Most Halflings have no interest in those things.

The one time in the fluff I know of where a Halfling army is mentioned is during Gorbad Ironclaw's Waaagh! when they joined the army of Averland to defend the Moot at the Battle of Aver Down on pg. 17 of the 8th edition Orcs & Goblins army book. Despite fighting for their homes and being bolstered by human troops, the Halflings proved utterly worthless - the actual text says they were "easy prey, even for Goblins". The Averlanders couldn't make up for the Halflings' ineptitude and they were swiftly overwhelmed and killed nearly to a man. The Greenskins went on to sack the Moot, which was completely unprepared for an invasion.

This doesn't jive with the idea that the Halflings could defend themselves, let alone stand as a separate race from the Empire.

You keep bringing up Cathay in this and other threads. I don't like dragging Cathay into discussions of other races as it tends to lead to derailments, but here I'll make an exception:

Say what you will about their lack of fluff and unfitness for being added to the game, but at least whenever Cathay is mentioned or portrayed in the fluff, they're always strong. They don't depend on others to protect them when invaders come knocking. They stand on their own two legs as a large, powerful nation that's ready and willing to defend themselves and their interests, just like the Empire, Bretonnia, Kislev, Tilea, Estalia, Araby, even the Amazons. They aren't always successful in their endeavors - same as every other race, major and minor - but they're clearly able to survive and thrive in this dark fantasy world with their own courage and skill, and they've done so at least as long as Nehekhara has been a thing in-universe.

The Halflings aren't anywhere close to this. They can't invade other continents. They can't establish an independent realm. They can't even defend the small patch of land they call home, unlike practically every sapient race in Warhammer. They're universally derided as lazy gluttons, thieves, and terrible fighters, and the ones that actually are good fighters go join the armies of other Imperial states or become mercenaries or adventurers. They're the Gnoblars of the Empire - completely dependent on the strength of others to protect them from the horrors of the Warhammer World because as a race they're utterly incapable of looking out for themselves. And in that absolutely critical sense, Cathay utterly trumps them as race materiel, as does practically every other minor race.

Maybe if the Halflings established their home away from the human realms and been forced to defend themselves for multiple generations, they would be capable of being an independent race. But as they are now? Sitting on their bums in the Moot, practically ignoring military matters, basking in the security the Empire's soldiers fight and die to give them? They're absolutely not independent race materiel, and unless CA and GW completely rewrite the Halflings' lore, it's going to remain that way.

Non of the Elector Counts is independent in the lore, they all should be Karl Franz's vassals, but it's not how it works in Total War. The Halflings are Underdogs? sure, but it would give them a more challenging gameplay, that's all, the campaign Halflings might be more challenging than Skarsnik's campaign, even though can start as Empire's allies in the campaign. The Halfling roster was just a joke? maybe, it's up for GW to tell, but the Goblins and Skaven are already fairly comical, and not many players can take Cylostra Direfin seriously. The Treemen does fit the Halflings theme, considering that the Halflings have access to Treemen in Blood Bowl. Cathay is stronger than the Halflings? yes I believe so, but Cathay is much more obscure than the Halflings, GW didn't bother to add Cathay to Blood Bowl, and to the Warhammer RPG, and give them a Roster, even as a joke, as far as GW is concerned Cathay was even less than a joke.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/686402/Blood_Bowl_2__Halflings/
  • gelatinous_cubegelatinous_cube Registered Users Posts: 21
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Tayvar said:

- Kislev
    - DoW/SR
    - Hobgoblins
    - Legions of Nagash
    - Kurgan
    - Cathay
    - Norse Dwarfs
    - Cult of Ulric

Albion as a united race/faction/culture never really existed. It’s just one island.

Cult of Ulric should be part of the empire but it has enough official stuff to be semi unique race like Norsca.
    Albion has a united culture and people group, it's just a very isolationist one. It's one of those parts of the warhammer world that would be better to explore in a roleplay/adventure game format than a grand strategy game. All we have for them are a few units, never a full army list.

Same goes for the halflings and the moot I reckon. They wouldn't really work as a full faction. I agree with others that a few halfling units recruitable by DoW and the Empire would be a nice touch though.

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Non of the Elector Counts is independent in the lore, they all should be Karl Franz's vassals, but it's not how it works in Total War. The Halflings are Underdogs? sure, but it would give them a more challenging gameplay, that's all, the campaign Halflings might be more challenging than Skarsnik's campaign, even though can start as Empire's allies in the campaign. The Halfling roster was just a joke? maybe, it's up for GW to tell, but the Goblins and Skaven are already fairly comical, and not many players can take Cylostra Direfin seriously. The Treemen does fit the Halflings theme, considering that the Halflings have access to Treemen in Blood Bowl. Cathay is stronger than the Halflings? yes I believe so, but Cathay is much more obscure than the Halflings, GW didn't bother to add Cathay to Blood Bowl, and to the Warhammer RPG, and give them a Roster, even as a joke, as far as GW is concerned Cathay was even less than a joke.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/686402/Blood_Bowl_2__Halflings/
    Except you missed the part where raising their own armies and waging war is something the Halflings, with very few exceptions, do not do. It goes completely against their culture and history as they exist in the current Warhammer canon for them to behave like a typical Total War faction or even a typical Warhammer faction. They're the Shire transplanted into Warhammer with the same or even less aptitude for and inclination toward war as your average Tolkien hobbit (plus cranking the hobbits' vices up to 11 and downplaying their positive traits).

Frankly, it doesn't matter if the Halflings have more fluff than Cathay because that fluff establishes them as not being suitable race materiel by virtue of not being warlike in the slightest. A few units in the Empire and Dogs of War rosters? Yes. An independent race with their own army and lords? No.
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 2,663
    Soup anyone?

• SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 2,663
    edited March 23
    Tayvar said:

Haha, I didn't realise they had that much.

I think they're one of the factions that needs to be its own little sub-faction DLC Along with the likes of Clan Eshen, Pestilens, Moulder, Tehenhauin, Forest Goblins, Savage Orcs, Alith Anar, Skarsnik and so on.

They still have < half as much as the Amazons do though, they might be tied with Kislev, but Kislev has more reason to exist as a faction.

Cathey and Nippon do have units around. I think Nippon has slightly less than the Halflings. Albion only has 5 or so total referenced things ive seen, Ind has almost nothing and Araby is dead until further notice.
    Post edited by SeanJeanquoi on
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 645
    edited March 23
    They have an official army list, they were fun in the TT, more unrealistic and nonsensical **** have already been included in the game, CA's running out of races, and most importantly, Fighting Cocks.

They belong in the game.

I swear if anyone says anything absolutely stupid and moronic like the "Halflings don't leave the moot!" or "Halflings don't raise militaries!" argument...

They have an official army list, they were fun in the TT, more unrealistic and nonsensical **** have already been included in the game, CA's running out of races, and most importantly, Fighting Cocks.

They belong in the game.

I swear if anyone says anything absolutely stupid and moronic like the "Halflings don't leave the moot!" or "Halflings don't raise militaries!" argument...

Running out of races is the big point. Only three major races left and then it is only minor races after that. Dogs of War/Southern Realms, Kislev, Araby and Cathay are the crucial races in my opinion in terms of minor races due to their positions on the map or empire building.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,907
    I'll never say no to new content.

If CA are going to keep the trilogy going then they could eventually be an option.. a very challenging option.

On the other hand CA could release a unit pack to be used with Empire.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 645
    edited March 23

Running out of races is the big point. Only three major races left and then it is only minor races after that. Dogs of War/Southern Realms, Kislev, Araby and Cathay are the crucial races in my opinion in terms of minor races due to their positions on the map or empire building.

You don't even need to go that far. Here's a simple easy rule.

1. Do they look fun?

YES: They're in
    NO: Make them fun, or else they're out.

2. Do Halfling's with their soup tanks, fighting cocks, general attitude, chefs, and housewives look fun?

YES. Just fill their roster a tiny bit like with Foot Squires and Nehekara Swordsmen. Therefore, they're in.

I'll never say no to new content.

If CA are going to keep the trilogy going then they could eventually be an option.. a very challenging option.

On the other hand CA could release a unit pack to be used with Empire.

I would like them to be both. A Halflings race but certain units can be added to the Empire as units they can only hire in the Moot. Same as Chaos Dwarfs helping with a Hobgoblin Khanate or Ogre Kingdoms helping Dogs of War/Southern Realms.

• Artjuh90Artjuh90 Registered Users Posts: 632

this is kinda it.
    even if they would implement halflings (which isnt going to happen) people are going to cry about to little starting locations and LL....

people will never be happy its beter to ignore them
    guess CA listen to my advise before i gave it ;"(