Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

After trying several times I still just don't get how you are supposed to compete as a bandit.

Prkl8rPrkl8r Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 767
I don't make enough money to have a competitive army. I have never made enough money as a band it to to have even one full stack.

Tips?

I'm only interested in playing Zhang Jiang btw.

Comments

• HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 3,875
    Zhang Jiang has it a bit easier than the other bandits in my opinion, at least at the start. Depending on how quickly your infamy scales up this can be a problem later on, but she's not super concerned with balancing around building a bandit "empire" as it were.

The trick is selling yourself out as a mercenary. Pick a target you want to fight, then figure out who they're at war with. Hit that faction up for an absolutely ridiculous amount of money to join in their fight as a mercenary. Lu Bu and Cao Cao pick fights with everyone so they're an excellent source of income. Including against each other. This can also be a super convenient way to pick a fight with only one member of a coalition at a time when you start picking fights with coalitions.

Now that someone is paying you to hit the faction you wanted to fight anyway, take every minor settlement that faction owns. All minor settlement income is converted to banditry income, so major settlements don't actually help that much, but do take a few. Usually enough to employ all your underlings, then leave it at that. Take the rest of the major settlements and gift them to your host faction for huge sums of money and infamy. When you get the target faction down to it's last legs, sue for peace and make them a tributary.

Rinse repeat until everyone picks a fight with you and you win anyway because they paid you enough to have 20 armies.
  • _aassassinoo__aassassinoo_ Registered Users Posts: 134
    Prkl8r said:

I don't make enough money to have a competitive army. I have never made enough money as a band it to to have even one full stack.

Tips?

I'm only interested in playing Zhang Jiang btw.

For a better learning I suggest play yan baihu 190.
    Release your generals that dont use.
    Build bandit market for bandit income
    Have some character that give you loot and deploy them without any units,then share spoils always,if you ran out of loot go to your coalition buddies commandries an raid and again share spoils.
  • Zeues_1992Zeues_1992 Registered Users Posts: 266
    yup that's exactly the point of the bandit faction, you don't need to have positive income at all time, as you will relay on the money you get from fighting, so even if you go negative it's fine as long as you have lots of coins,
    also you can't field many high level units and heavy units due to the limits. so you will relay on many light cheap armies. and you don't have access to imperial units (understandable).

however you need little more micromanagement than usual, raiding, sharing looting, positing your armies on the map and so on.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,226
    There are some very dumb exploits with the bandits btw.

Take two Strategists without retinues (hence free to deploy) and deploy them/disband them in alternance each turn, putting them in the "Share the loot" stance each time you deploy them (as it costs 0 points to do so, so you can deploy and share the loot immediately).
    TW : Three Kingdoms. Units not running in battles ? You probably came down to a bad case of floor is caltrops. Use this miraculous cure to make your soldiers hoppity happy again : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2132907090 (NEW : Alternatively use the 1.6.1 BETA patch)
  • BAB1918BAB1918 Registered Users Posts: 237
    Even without that exploit, with three commanderies in the 194 start, you can be making somewhere between 4 and 5 thousand w/o even upgrading your main settlement. Build black markets in all the surrounding counties. Very easy to make gold w/ the bandits and you don't even need to do the "Share Loot" exploit if it makes you feel dirty. B)

• _aassassinoo__aassassinoo_ Registered Users Posts: 134
    Rewan said:

There are some very dumb exploits with the bandits btw.

Take two Strategists without retinues (hence free to deploy) and deploy them/disband them in alternance each turn, putting them in the "Share the loot" stance each time you deploy them (as it costs 0 points to do so, so you can deploy and share the loot immediately).

Redeployment need too much balance even in loot in bandits.(another thing is when you hire a general and recruit some units for him and deploy him as administrator,just in one turn units are fully musterd)
  • foureyes85foureyes85 Registered Users Posts: 175
    edited March 23
    Zheng Jiang is meant to be a bit tricky to play early on since she have Very Hard starting locations. She is my favorite character and I have played two campaigns with her since we got AWB.

I think people will struggle more with the 190 start. This is what I do:

*Defeat the army - this should not be a problem - kill the strategist with Zheng Jiang for extra xp.
    *Take the settlement - place all units in forest so that they are hidden. The Hidden Axes have stalk and can capture towers without being discovered. They also have snipe which allows them to fire without being discovered. Capture one tower, walk with the Hidden Axes outside the settlement and fire at one unit. Then walk back and capture a second tower. Once the second tower has been captured the enemy will come towards you, hence rush in before they get the towers back under control. I play with small unit size and Records hence the towers can be deadly to Generals. Never charge Generals into braced Ji Militia if you play with Records mode.
    *Occupy the settlement, destroy the labour building (Drifter Workforce Camp). Put your second sentinel, Yin Lin, on the assignment that reduces construction time/cost. Thanks to the champion you got 1 food - use it to get a trade agreement with Zhang Yan.
    *On Legendary/Legendary Congqian can have 0 in satisfaction at the end of turn 1 (if not given a title/items). I banish Conqgian before I end turn 1. The others are unhappy too, give items and titles if you must.
    *On turn 2 move Zheng Jiang towards the toolmaker, move first, share the spols and recruit Lu Zheng. The mustering bonus stack with the replenishment bonus from share the spoils. Recruit 1 unit of light spear infantry and 3 units of crossbowmen. Construct the building that gives +1 food in the settlement.
    *On turn 3: Since you now got 1 food there is no need to keep the champion - banish him! Take the toolmaker and convert it.
    *On turn 4: Move towards Shangdang farm but stay in your own territory to replenish. Share the spoils and recruit 1 treb. Build a Black Market at the toolmaker.
    *On turn 5: Take Shangdang farm. Check if there are any good administrators to hire - if there is one get him/her. Recall Yin Lin from his assignment. Convert the farm. Sell your food to the faction that holds the copper mine.
    *On turn 6: Move towards Shangdang but stay in your own territory. Recruit Yin Lin and two units of Light Spear Infantry. Build a Black Market at the farm.
    *On turn 7: Move towards Shangdang and raid.
    *On turn 8: In my playthrough Shangdang already had walls and I had to siege it for two turns, but usually it does not have walls. I took Shangdang on turn 10 and after having made Yin Lin my Incene Master had enough money to recruit 4 units of axemen for Yin Lin. You now got three full retinues. After Shangdang has been captured a decision has to be made. Either you backstab and take the copper mine, fight Yuan Shao, or go north to take the iron mine. I went north and since Zhang Yan had already taken the mine I backstabbed him and took it, then I went further up and took his capital and the lumber yard before I went back towards Shangdang. The faction next to the lumber yard is willing to trade. I got peace with Dong Zhou and formed a coalition with him, hence I could trade with the Han Empire, later I got a mercenary contract to fight Yuan Shao. Focus on taking territory north of the river and sell food to Liu Bei and other starving factions.

Hope this helps someone.

• MKEsbjornMKEsbjorn Registered Users Posts: 464
    I am in the year 220 or so with Zheng Jiang. I am making 14-15k per turn, have 10ish armies and 1 mill in the bank. most of my settlements are level 4 or 5. I have used as many mercenary deals as possible against my enemies. sometimes i would gift the territory if i didn't need it and otherwise i would occupy for myself.
    I focused on anti corruption and commerce boost in the bandit network. along with meele and spear infantry upkeep reduction.
    My settlements pretty much all look alike. 1 inn, 1 marketplace, 1 private workshop and if level 5 then 1 land development. early campaign i sold a lot of food to Liu Bei, Yuan Shu and Liu Biao.

if somebody wants screenshots of my income or anything along those lines just let me know.

Currently I have all 3 emperor seats, but for the first time ever I don't have enough commandaries by the time i have captured all emperor seats.