Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Settlement Skins change on ownership

Star_LordStar_Lord Registered Users Posts: 6
edited April 2020 in General Discussion
I know it's a subject that's been discussed before. But again to highlight it to the devs.
As it kills the immersion of a campaign for me.

Will there be a feature added in TWW3 for settlement skins to change on ownership which was a feature in previous total war games.

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,692
    I really hope so. Settlements not changing their skins is my biggest concern with the game.

I mean WH2 was rushed so I could accept it as an oversight, but for WH3 it’s desperately needed.

I’m so tired of Dwarfs living in Orc camps, DE living in beautiful white towers or LM living in human Jungle cities instead of rebuilding an ancient templecity that is just around the corner.

CA needs to make it at least miodable. Right now skins are hard coded so Moders can’t do anything about it.

Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 764
    I know it would be a colossal amount of work, but aside from a diplomacy overhaul this is one of the biggest mechanical changes I'd like in the next game. It really added a lot to the feeling of the gameplay to me.
  • Star_LordStar_Lord Registered Users Posts: 6
    Ye it gets to a point after taking the initial settlements which are your own factions. I then go on to struggle to complete campaigns where as you say Dwarfs are building up in Ork skinned settlements. It really breaks the lore where I then just quit the game.
    I know there is one mod out there that tries to ammend this but I really hope the devs can put this right in the future.
  • CharpCypressCharpCypress Registered Users Posts: 63
    It used to changed back in game 1 but that was also when factions had regional lock. After game 2 introduced climate this allowed factions to expand any ware but CA never implemented it back in. This requires changing all the settlements to include every factions buildings art into the game. Just times the amount of settlements with the amount of factions which quite a lot and requires a lot of time. Maybe in game 3 they might be able too but it’s probably low. Maybe mods might be able to do so.
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Registered Users Posts: 140
    johnheart said:

It used to changed back in game 1 but that was also when factions had regional lock. After game 2 introduced climate this allowed factions to expand any ware but CA never implemented it back in. This requires changing all the settlements to include every factions buildings art into the game. Just times the amount of settlements with the amount of factions which quite a lot and requires a lot of time. Maybe in game 3 they might be able too but it’s probably low. Maybe mods might be able to do so.

nope. with regional occupation removal everything worked fine in 99% of the time.
    and no, every map is not unique. Chupayotl is as far as I know a naggaroth settlement despite being in lustria.

I tried to ask for it in the newest AMA https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/fxufqz/warhammer_ii_dlc_team_ama/fmzuhn0/ I hope i will get an answer.

This guy https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1894694154 is still trying to mod it, but unfortunately he is not successful. It seems to be very, very hardcoded.

No, Cultural settlement skins mod is not a solution. it looks ugly and buggy, especially wenn shadows are flickering around it. It looks extremely bad.

In CAs stream CA said that WARHAMMER III will have a siege rework. sieges are tied to settlement skins, because of the battle map. WARHAMMER III is the last chance for this, if its not happening in WARHAMMER III it will never change.
    I hope they introduce a dynamic system where cities are rendered as an overlay over every climate that is in the game. So that they don't need to create a map for every possible situation. I think even MEDIEVAL II had this, and ATTILA too i think.

For WARHAMMER II... no i think it will not happen sadly. I hoped that the next DLC is the last DLC, but they want to rework all races in WARHAMMER IIs lifetime. Greenskins are next, Chaos warriors, wood elves and beastmen are missing regarding reworks. that means after the next DLC there are at least 3 DLCs before WARHAMMER III.. all lord packs. I think that Chaos warriors will be the last ones and they will be tied with the pre order DLC pack. and i think its possible that the last DLC will not be a lord pack. But this is just speculation so i will stop here.

Man.. I miss that feature so badly.

johnheart said:

nope. with regional occupation removal everything worked fine in 99% of the time.
    and no, every map is not unique. Chupayotl is as far as I know a naggaroth settlement despite being in lustria.

I tried to ask for it in the newest AMA https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/fxufqz/warhammer_ii_dlc_team_ama/fmzuhn0/ I hope i will get an answer.

This guy https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1894694154 is still trying to mod it, but unfortunately he is not successful. It seems to be very, very hardcoded.

No, Cultural settlement skins mod is not a solution. it looks ugly and buggy, especially wenn shadows are flickering around it. It looks extremely bad.

In CAs stream CA said that WARHAMMER III will have a siege rework. sieges are tied to settlement skins, because of the battle map. WARHAMMER III is the last chance for this, if its not happening in WARHAMMER III it will never change.
    I hope they introduce a dynamic system where cities are rendered as an overlay over every climate that is in the game. So that they don't need to create a map for every possible situation. I think even MEDIEVAL II had this, and ATTILA too i think.

For WARHAMMER II... no i think it will not happen sadly. I hoped that the next DLC is the last DLC, but they want to rework all races in WARHAMMER IIs lifetime. Greenskins are next, Chaos warriors, wood elves and beastmen are missing regarding reworks. that means after the next DLC there are at least 3 DLCs before WARHAMMER III.. all lord packs. I think that Chaos warriors will be the last ones and they will be tied with the pre order DLC pack. and i think its possible that the last DLC will not be a lord pack. But this is just speculation so i will stop here.

Most Skaven maps are also just generic old world Skaven maps with human ruins around.

TK settlements (Khalida and Khatep) also have a normal nehekara map.

HE colonies, even Arnheim just have normal Ulthuan maps.

I don’t see a problem here to be honest.

The only exceptions are Bretonnian and Empire maps in the new world which have desert and jungle around.
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Registered Users Posts: 140
    ArneSo said:

johnheart said:

Most Skaven maps are also just generic old world Skaven maps with human ruins around.

TK settlements (Khalida and Khatep) also have a normal nehekara map.

HE colonies, even Arnheim just have normal Ulthuan maps.

I don’t see a problem here to be honest.

The only exceptions are Bretonnian and Empire maps in the new world which have desert and jungle around.
    they are also copy pasted simply.. there are piles of straw.. in the desert. haha
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,164
    As long as it happens over a few goes..
    Even if it were implemented by way of when the settlement upgrades the old owners skin is removed and your skin replaces it.
    Or if the settlement is already maxed you can pay to remove the skin and the settlement then converts to your skin over a couple of turns.
    Please devs take note!!!!!!
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,611
    Not a fan of a universal application of this.

Don't want to see Lustrian Ziggurats springing up in Norsca or Elf Citadels dotting the badlands. These are dying races that have trouble populating their own territories already, so please no sprawling Elf, Dwarf or LM metropoleis elsewhere. Only undead (sans TK), Skaven and Greenskins should have redecorating effects on their surroundings and Skaven already have it, sort of.

Don't want to see Lustrian Ziggurats springing up in Norsca or Elf Citadels dotting the badlands. These are dying races that have trouble populating their own territories already, so please no sprawling Elf, Dwarf or LM metropoleis elsewhere. Only undead (sans TK), Skaven and Greenskins should have redecorating effects on their surroundings and Skaven already have it, sort of.

But that’s exactly what LM would do when they would ever conquer these lands.

Remember what they did in Albion?
    Exactly they built a new templecity.

LM living in chaotic Norscan huts is ridiculous.

Humans would build their own colonies like they did in the settlers coast.

Settlements need to change their skins again. The argument that it is to much work is nonsense.

I understand what your saying about some factions being dying races, however I like to play as resurgent empires and it would be nice to be given the option to convert settlements. Even if it was at a cost to convert by way of gold and even a cost of reducing a population in an owned settlement to symbolise the colonisation and conversion from the previous race.
    ArneSo said:

Settlements need to change their skins again. The argument that it is to much work is nonsense.
    LM cannot create new spawning pools, that's why they're dying in the first place. There's no point for them to create temples elsewhere. Elves and Dwarfs are in a downward spiral owed to their slow as molasses reproduction rate and the constant attrition from fighting. They don't have the numbers to populate new towns.

The dying races should not only not get this, they should also get more penalties for expanding.

• VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 764

Why exclude the tomb kings? Their vanity and ego would seem to me at least to drive them to reshape conquered lands into a semblance of their old kingdoms.

ArneSo said:

LM cannot create new spawning pools, that's why they're dying in the first place. There's no point for them to create temples elsewhere. Elves and Dwarfs are in a downward spiral owed to their slow as molasses reproduction rate and the constant attrition from fighting. They don't have the numbers to populate new towns.

The dying races should not only not get this, they should also get more penalties for expanding.
    Yes and that’s represented by the climate system. Conquering Norsca as the Lm is obviously a dumb idea but if they would do that, they would build new Templecities just like they did on Albion.

The lore simply proofs that you are wrong.

LM would never - I repeat - never live in a Norscan settlement. They would raze it and move on, or raze it and build a Templecity.
    Norscans are against the great plan and so are their buildings. Keeping those buildings intact is against the biological programming of LM.

But it’s not just the lore that proofs you wrong.

Ever played Nakai in ME?
    When you conquer a settlement it literally says “templecity built” (maybe it was “established” instead of built).
    But anyways, the point is that in the game you already build a new templecity, it is simply not visible on the map.

Just check the main building line when you conquer a settlement as LM. What’s the name of the main building? Is the name “occupied Norscan camp”?
    No, the main building is called “temple city” or “Ziggurat”. So you already build templecities everywhere, it is just not visible with the settlement skins.
    Vildvarg said:

Why exclude the tomb kings? Their vanity and ego would seem to me at least to drive them to reshape conquered lands into a semblance of their old kingdoms.
    I say because TK only use undead made from their own original population, not from just any dead like VCounts or VCoast.