Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Let's talk about Grom

IamNotArobot#8850IamNotArobot#8850 Registered Users Posts: 5,743
Grom is probably the thickest villian around and we love him for that.

Theres a usual talk about GS update but not so much about Grom.

For example:

Will Grom be the first LL to come mounted from level 1? I personally think there's a chance he comes as footlord first.
Mazda is kinda mounted...

Will Grom count as large unit when on foot ?

Can he actually stand by himself?

Is Grom a reskin of a probably done Greesus for WH3?

Is there a flying unit that can carry Grom? Maybe CA can get creative.

Is Grom going to introduce some lore of the maw magic for WH2? He ate an ogre iirc

Grom is the only 8th LL left, chances of being replaced by another GS character? Low? Medium? High af?

Let's talk about our next LL lord!

*Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
*Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
*Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
*Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
*Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
*Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
*Improve UI

Tagged:

Comments

• Ariel#4992Ariel#4992 Registered Users Posts: 2,373
    Luen is mounted from lvl 1

The final rose has faded,
    The eaves will sing no more;
    The waxen ground will keep you bound,
    Death-pale until the thaw.
    Then she placed the rest of Orion's ashes into the bowl and turned to face the Oak of Ages.
    I used to go by many names here. Crazycrix, Dubinekdubajs, Yrellian and finally Ariel, one of my favourite characters in the setting. Still waiting for Finubar and Naieth!
  • Bloodydagger#9716Bloodydagger#9716 Registered Users Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2020
    Gonna be funny af if we don't even get Grom and it's Gorbad Ironclaw instead.
  • ROMOBOY#7812ROMOBOY#7812 Registered Users Posts: 4,814
    Grom is big. But not near to being a reskin of Greasus (not mentioning ogres and Goblin are far more different than size).

Grom can stand by himself.

No, he won’t have Maw magic.

I don’t think they’ll give him a wyvern mount, it would be silly.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,199
    He is a digustingly fat and short goblin with an axe. Yes, he can stand by himself. And he does it in his chariot

He somehow managed to defeat great many mon-keigh armies. Then he defeated a bunch of elves, mostly children and elders. When Eltharion came with regular forces then Grom lost in the first battle.

I usually don't post in GS threads, this one is blessed.
  • ManOfActionManOfAction Registered Users Posts: 34

He is a digustingly fat and short goblin with an axe. Yes, he can stand by himself. And he does it in his chariot

He somehow managed to defeat great many mon-keigh armies. Then he defeated a bunch of elves, mostly children and elders. When Eltharion came with regular forces then Grom lost in the first battle.

In the book Grimblades he is described tall as a troll and fat like an ogre soo he should be big

In the book Grimblades he is described tall as a troll and fat like an ogre soo he should be big
    I've read somewhere that he is taller than ordinary goblin but shorter than orc. Unfortunately I don't remember where.
  • Theo91#7431Theo91#7431 Registered Users Posts: 2,953
    He should have regen from the bad troll meat he ate
  • manuel88manuel88 Registered Users Posts: 501
    Legend has it that he was too small to be loved by the orcs and too big to be loved by the goblins
  • General_Hijalti#1213General_Hijalti#1213 Registered Users Posts: 5,421

For example:

Will Grom be the first LL to come mounted from level 1? I personally think there's a chance he comes as footlord first.

Is Grom going to introduce some lore of the maw magic for WH2? He ate an ogre iirc

Grom is the only 8th LL left, chances of being replaced by another GS character? Low? Medium? High af?

So much wrong with this.

Some of the Brettonians are mounted from level 1, as is tic'taq'toe.
    Why would a flying unit carry him, there is no basis for giving him a flying mount.
    He isn't a mage and CA doesn't generally add lores of magic with lord packs.
    He's not the only 8th edition greenskin lord left.
  • TheMadTypistTheMadTypist Registered Users Posts: 596
    At the end of his story, Grom was rumored to have flown off on his dead shaman’s wyvern. I’d say the wyvern is a possibility, even if that’s not how canon worked out.

Before leaving the mainland, he is mentioned to have had black orks in his waaagh. I didn’t see any mention of them coming with him to Ulthuan but there’s still hope for black ork variants coming with him in the DLC.

He could stand unsupported, he even had a great big axe and killed several princely elves personally during the invasion, so he’s no slouch. One of his magic items is a cape he got off one of them. He’s also got troll-like healing factors so he may come with regen.

Good lord, a chariot with regen, the potential there just struck me. He may well be an extremely mobile and durable lord.
  • Lunaticprince#9972Lunaticprince#9972 Registered Users Posts: 6,836
    Nope grom is as big as a orc, and he literally beated orc warbosses in one and one very often.

But i think he can walk but he kinda give it up quickly so, i think level one should be a normal chariot and then get his own personal.

He can’t do magic? He is not even a shaman.

But regen thanks to the troll meat

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    Tiktaq'to can't even dismount. Oh, the perils of superglue.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
    Steamage said:

Nope grom is as big as a orc, and he literally beated orc warbosses in one and one very often.

That might very well be, I don't know that much about him.
  • yolordmcswag#6132yolordmcswag#6132 Registered Users Posts: 4,259

His miniature is not very big though, and his stats were identical to a regular goblin warboss, just with better leadership. AFAIK the main advantage he got from eating troll meat was that he could regenerate, it did not make him massively big or strong. Of course, he was very big and strong for a goblin, but without his regeneration he would not have been able to defeat all those orc warbosses one on one.
  • IamNotArobot#8850IamNotArobot#8850 Registered Users Posts: 5,743

His miniature is not very big though, and his stats were identical to a regular goblin warboss, just with better leadership. AFAIK the main advantage he got from eating troll meat was that he could regenerate, it did not make him massively big or strong. Of course, he was very big and strong for a goblin, but without his regeneration he would not have been able to defeat all those orc warbosses one on one.
    So he would be a weak lord stat-wise? Like who would win between him and Malekith one on one?
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Improve UI

• Lunaticprince#9972Lunaticprince#9972 Registered Users Posts: 6,836
    If he get replace by a other lord?

I not think soo.. so low

He literally have the strongest connection to the new world and the biggest impact of all orcs.

• #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,489
    Well, firstly we need to talk about one important thing; he's quite dead.

Chopped into Steak Tartare and burned in a magical furnace after lengthy torture by Eltharion the Grim. Note he didn't reappear in The End Times in any way.

I'm assuming that'll be handwaved a la Repanse.

Am expecting in Campaign he'll encourage you to play an all-Goblin build like Skarsnik, but perhaps a more rush style and harder hitting by buffing them and giving them all Frenzy or something.

He himself I'm not expecting to be particularly overwhelming, a Large unit with Regen, and obviously with access to a Chariot being remarkably fast. As his model doesn't look very armoured I'd assume peppering him with arrows that do flaming damage to mitigate the Regen would be the way to deal with him.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • IamNotArobot#8850IamNotArobot#8850 Registered Users Posts: 5,743
    Arsenic said:

Well, firstly we need to talk about one important thing; he's quite dead.

Chopped into Steak Tartare and burned in a magical furnace after lengthy torture by Eltharion the Grim. Note he didn't reappear in The End Times in any way.

I'm assuming that'll be handwaved a la Repanse.

Am expecting in Campaign he'll encourage you to play an all-Goblin build like Skarsnik, but perhaps a more rush style and harder hitting by buffing them and giving them all Frenzy or something.

He himself I'm not expecting to be particularly overwhelming, a Large unit with Regen, and obviously with access to a Chariot being remarkably fast. As his model doesn't look very armoured I'd assume peppering him with arrows that do flaming damage to mitigate the Regen would be the way to deal with him.

Pointy ears say he drowned while running away, but goblins and some mature high elves tell that he ran to the mountains of Ulthuan to hide.
    *Improve UI

• #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,489

Pointy ears say he drowned while running away, but goblins and some mature high elves tell that he ran to the mountains of Ulthuan to hide.

Option 1) He drowned while running away.
    Option 2) He ran into the mountains, spent the rest of his days eating the beasties that live there, and lived happily ever after. After all, he never returned.
    Option 3) Was tortured to death in a way so horrifying Eltharion was too ashamed to tell his fellow Helfs of it. Which makes you wonder what it must have been to elicit that reaction afterwards.

I'm assuming, if we get an explanation, it'll be something like Option 2, he'll have spent some time in the magic, saturated Mountains recovering his strength, and used the magic of the Waystones somehow to call other Goblins to him.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • General_Hijalti#1213General_Hijalti#1213 Registered Users Posts: 5,421

For example:

So much wrong with this.

Some of the Brettonians are mounted from level 1, as is tic'taq'toe.
    Why would a flying unit carry him, there is no basis for giving him a flying mount.
    He isn't a mage and CA doesn't generally add lores of magic with lord packs.
    He's not the only 8th edition greenskin lord left.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 11,388
    Arsenic said:

Option 1) He drowned while running away.
    Option 2) He ran into the mountains, spent the rest of his days eating the beasties that live there, and lived happily ever after. After all, he never returned.
    Option 3) Was tortured to death in a way so horrifying Eltharion was too ashamed to tell his fellow Helfs of it. Which makes you wonder what it must have been to elicit that reaction afterwards.

I'm assuming, if we get an explanation, it'll be something like Option 2, he'll have spent some time in the magic, saturated Mountains recovering his strength, and used the magic of the Waystones somehow to call other Goblins to him.
    Option 4: He did indeed fly off on Doomserpent, and could pop up just about anywhere.

(There's a part of me hoping that we'll finally see Greenskins in Naggaroth, since there are supposed to be greenskins there according to the fluff. OTOH, though, putting a greenskin LL in Naggaroth might have the net effect of reducing the threat to Ulthuan rather than increasing it, and would encourage Eltharion to look west like Tyrion, Alarielle, and Alith Anar, which would be unfortunate.)
  • steam_164511531915TqL1vw0steam_164511531915TqL1vw0 Registered Users Posts: 760
    Before grom reach ulthuan he defeated anything empire and dwarfs throwed him.
  • SerPus#7395SerPus#7395 Registered Users Posts: 9,690
    Draxynnic said:

There's a part of me hoping that we'll finally see Greenskins in Naggaroth

Unlike Naggaroth Ulthuan is really in need of more playable non-elf factions.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 11,388
    edited April 2020
    SerPus said:

Draxynnic said:

There's a part of me hoping that we'll finally see Greenskins in Naggaroth

Unlike Naggaroth Ulthuan is really in need of more playable non-elf factions.
    Really lore-unfriendly, though. Ulthuan being a tough nut to crack, as well as being a superpower which normally intervenes in other parts of the world rather than being at direct threat itself, is a reality of Warhammer geopolitics. At the moment, the Dark Elves and Norsca aren't putting as much pressure on them as they should, but I don't think putting another race starting on Ulthuan is the answer.

Plus, High Elf diplomatic traits mean that any such faction is probably going to get ganged up on and wiped out early.

Placing Grom close enough to be a midgame threat to the High Elves, without actually being ON Ulthuan, is probably a better approach for both lore and gameplay reasons. Giving him a base in the mountains of Estalia could possibly work well in Mortal Empires - it'd give him a chance to establish himself somewhere where the HE diplomatic traits won't cause them to jump on him right away, but close enough to start becoming a threat before Ulthuan fully unites. For the Vortex... it's harder to find a suitable location that doesn't disrupt other aspects of gameplay. Albion might work if he's given the ability to do reasonably well in Chaos Wasteland territory.

EDIT: If Eltharion starts in Yvresse, we can probably also expect to see a lot of Yvresse starting off occupied by greenskins to give him a starting enemy, but I don't think that should be Grom's starting faction: it'd force the confrontation far too early in the campaign. However, they might give Grom an incentive to intervene early before Eltharion finishes cleaning them up.
  • SerPus#7395SerPus#7395 Registered Users Posts: 9,690
    Draxynnic said:

Really lore-unfriendly, though.

Grom being on Ulthuan is lore-friendly.
    But anyway, we passed that point a long time ago. What matters is that the map gets more and more crowded while 1/4 of it (if we are talking Vortex) remains unused.

• #430157#430157 Registered Users Posts: 326
    They could always toss him over in the Blue Viper area. Orcs are already there and it's not insanely crowded.
    Plus he's fairly close to Ulthuan when the time comes without getting steamrolled by the whole continent (which is what will likely happen if he starts on it).
  • yolordmcswag#6132yolordmcswag#6132 Registered Users Posts: 4,259

So he would be a weak lord stat-wise? Like who would win between him and Malekith one on one?
    On the weaker side as far as melee lords go, but he was still a proper melee lord. Against Malekith, it really depends. Malekith had much better stats, but his magic items on TT were not suited to duelling, so Grom might still win.
  • ManOfActionManOfAction Registered Users Posts: 34

I dont know about tabletop I am just saying how he was described in the book.