Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Enabling abilities in records mode

kokan#3687kokan#3687 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 90
Hello!

I am trying to create a (in theory) simple mod to enable some general abilities in records mode.

I wanted to keep with the theme from Rome 2 where generals would unlock abilities based on their Authority or Zeal for example.

So for my current test, I just added an existing ability from 3K to the "character_attribute_effects" table.

When I am on the campaign map, I see the ability on the tooltip of the character, but in battle there is no button to activate the ability.

Any ideas on what I need to change to enable these abilities in battle?

Comments

• Rewan#2358Rewan#2358 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,859
    edited April 2020
    You also have to add them to the characters in the land_units_to_land_units_junctions table.

(But the one time I tried to add abilities to characters like that I CTD'd my game)

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • kokan#3687kokan#3687 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 90
    Even if they already exist in game? I will try that tomorrow then. Thanks Rewan!

My first attempt at this was already causing CTD xD but I was doing something else....
    edited April 2020
    @Rewan So, I did what you said and it works... sometimes!

Here's what I did for my most recent test.
    I tried to keep changes to a minimum to track what works and doesn't work, so for my test I am just using "Resolve" (because its the only attribute that has a specific declaration for Records and Romance) as trigger to unlock new combat abilities.

Then I first affected the blazing roar to Xiahou Dun on the "land_units_to_land_units_junctions table", and set this ability to unlock at a given Resolve value: the game crashes.

If I remove the new value from the "land_units_" the game works, but it doesn't show in battle.

For the second round I went and activated "Fire Bombs" for Xiahou Dun instead of blazing roar. It works both in campaign and battle!

Then I tried with another ability and picked "heavenly grace" from Diaochan. It works too! And its here that I noticed something...

If the ability, or skill I am trying to enable shows on the drop down list of rPFM in both tables then it works in game.
    But if its missing from one of those lists, then it crashes.

Blazing Roar appears on the "land_units_to_land_units_junctions table" but not on the "characters_attributes_effects"... But the "Fire Bombs" appears on both, same with "Heavenly Grace".

So the questions now are: why are some abilities on both lists and not all, and how can we make it so that they appear on both dropdown lists?
    edited April 2020
    Ah! I think I got it!

So it turns out that on the "Character_attribute_effects" table, we look at the "effect" from the "effects" table.
    And on the "land_units_to_unit_abilities_junctions" we look at the "key" from the "unit_abilites" table.

Some things have exactly the same string in both tables, such as the 3k_dlc04_ability_fire_bomb which is why they worked so easily on my second attempt.

But some abilities like the "blazing roar" have different strings in each table:
    3k_main_ability_blazing_roar on "unit_abilites" table
    and
    3k_main_skill_blazing_roar on "effects" table

When I pick the correct string on both tables, I can get Blazing Roar to work in battle!

Lets see if I can make this work properly for every ability!

edited April 2020
    As far as I can tell the only real problem is that characters that are not typically meant to use the ability do not have a voice line for it.

For exemple Liu Bei and Guan Yu do not have the "THE PHOENIX RISES" line when using Flames of the Phoenix... (which is too bad as this was my go-to plan for CA to rework Wu Xing and abilities in order to bridge the gaps between classes while keeping identity... oh well)... but Zheng Fei does (which makes me think that CA should give it to him instead of Final Rush because Final Rush kinda... eeeh)

But it shouldn't be too much of a problem when applying the same Romance class abiltiies to Records...

Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
    @Rewan Got it to work I think... now I wanted to publish the mod.

I noticed that you have already published one, can you clarify the process?
    On the mod manager I clicked on the blue folder icon to upload my mod, but then I get a little spinning circle icon that never goes away.

Is there something else that needs to be done before?
    You must have a picture to go with the mod you want to upload for the process to work. I usually use a very simple 256x256 png file with the same name as the pack file (as I'm allergic to fancy stuff).

@Rewan Thanks again for helping me out xD

Well, I have a picture to go with the mod. Both on the game's "data" folder where the mod was installed by rPFM and on the "MyMods" folder.

The mod launcher doesn't seem to load the picture though, I still have the little horseman icon...
    AFAIK the picture has to be a 256x256 .png file, just check that's the case.

@Rewan: well its done! It was the format, I had JPEG instead of PNG.

Thanks again Rewan.

PS: you can check the mod here if you are interested
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2070530817
    edited April 2020
    Well ideally now the only thing you have to do is to create some new abilities using the effects of the ones already in the game so they are balanced for Records.

Personnally going this way I would allow unlocks at 75, 125 and 175.

@Rewan: we think alike it seems.

Initially I wanted to unlock skills at around those levels and I wanted to add the abilities from Rome 2. But since I couldn't find 15 abilities without including either damage dealing, or character specific abilities, I went with this approach instead for the moment.

For now I think I will keep the vanilla abilities though... stats wise there is no difference between records and romance mode except for the generals so the abilities shouldn't be stronger in records than what they were on romance.

But I am doing a test run on records while I work out the kinks on my supply mod to check how exactly the abilities impact this mode.

I already noticed that there was a mix up on the copy paste of the tables and generals have the wrong abilities xD.