Gears of Zhufbar!!
Engineer-Themed Dwarf DLC
The basis for much this DLC concept is what we have learned from the latest DLC (The Grim and the Paunch). CA has shown us that they are able to pull from other sources beyond the table top army books. In addition, the world map was changed around Zhufbar to introduce Skaven around Karak Varn (Cragmere)/Blackwater. The proposed DLC would focus on Master Engineers
, and Ironbreakers
, and the conflict would be over mining gromril versus warpstone, as discussed here: https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Karak_Varn
When it comes to Dwarf DLC speculation, threads propose slayer-themed DLCs, Engineering-themed DLCs, Hybrid slayer/engineer-themed, or a collection of random missing units (see: The King and The Warlord, Belegar et. al.). The argument for another catch all Dwarf DLC rests on the facts that 1) there is no requirement that CA have thematic rosters for their DLCs and 2) many of the missing Dwarf units are slayer themed which will create an un-thematic roster by default when the included DLC legendary lord is not a slayer.
With regards to The King and The Warlord DLC, I was happy to see Rangers, Bolt Throwers, and Runelords with their Anvils of Doom finally make into the game. However, none of these units had a clear link to Belegar per se (you could argue that the Runelord was a proxy for Thorek who was helping Belegar at one point during the Warhammer timeline). This DLC was released during Total War Warhammer's infancy. There were missing units aplenty and DLC content expectations were not well established. Today, I think CA has raised the bar, and I personally like the thematic rosters CA is trying to create with each DLC.
I believe that Malakai would be the best choice in a mutually exclusive
decision between a slayer or engineer lord, since Malakai could combine both slayer and engineering themed units to the Dwarf roster. However...
there is also plenty of less-well known content for an engineering-themed DLC based on 8th edition WHFB, Dwarfs: Stone and Steel, a source book for the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP) game, and previously "approved" content in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_7334.phtmlhttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A15Z+E88kFL.jpghttps://www.returnofreckoning.com/https://megagames.com/sites/default/files/game-content-images/WAR-PackArt_standard.jpg
Part of the reason I'd like to see an Engineer-themed DLC is that I think it would be an opportunity to bring Engineers up to par with Runesmiths as a hero choice and reestablish Dwarfs a ranged powerhouse (especially with the latest Skaven DLC and almost certainly what Chaos Dwarfs are going to have at their release), and to make playing as Dwarfs feel even "Dwarfier".
This post is broken down into four parts:
1. Master Engineer Changes/Improvements
2. Engineering Workshop Mechanic
3. Grimm Burloksson "Upstart Master Engineer" (Dwarfs) vs Throt "The Unclean" (Skaven)
4. Optional (nice shiny things to consider)
1. MASTER ENGINEER IMPROVEMENTS
Here is a list of suggestions to rework the Master Engineer unit. I think that the Master Engineer should have a few different options that focus on 1) long range, 2) short range, and 3) utility.General/Overall Changes:Mount:
"Assemble Turret" -> "Summoned" stationary ground construct, 120 second cool down, 30 second duration, 360 degree firing gun, three variants:
long range bullet
medium range bomb
short range flameItems:
Add -> Spanner: Increases gyrocopter mount movement speed, +50% Speed, 15 second duration, 60 second cooldown
Remove -> Thori's Fiery Ring and return it to the Dwarf LordLong Range:
Incendiary Rounds -> Adds area of effect explosion to war machine ordinance
Phosphorus Shells -> Adds damage overtime to war machine ordinance (similar to the old Wrath & Ruin Runesmith/Runelord ability)
Hollow Point Bullets -> Self-only, high single target damage, 120 second cooldown, 10 second durationShort Range:
Flash Grenades - unit-targetable, 20 second stun (acts like a net/root spell), 120 second cooldown
Fragmentation Grenade -> unit-targetable, armor piercing physical damage, 120 second cooldown
Dragonbelch Grenade -> ground-targetable, fire damage, creates a static area of flames doing damage over time, 30 second duration, 120 second cooldownUtility:
Tinker -> Repairs and restores selected war machine to full health, routing operators automatically stop routing, one use per battle.
Stockpile -> Double a selected ranged unit's ammunition, one use per battle.
Signal Flare -> Reveal hidden units, map-wide, 30 second duration, 120 second cooldown.
2. ENGINEERING WORKSHOP MECHANIC (build-able campaign items)
1. Earth Borer Mining Drill
-> enhanced underground advance movement rate.2. Thunder Cannon
-> Adds large cannons to Dwarf Holds for siege defense.3. Warpfire Distillery
-> building that increases Attrition when enemy armies move through that territory.4. Aerial Wonder Rocket
-> item that increases Public Order and Population Growth.5. Steam Radiophone
-> item that increases Unit Recruitment.
3. GRIMM BURLOKSSON VS THROT THE UNCLEAN
DLC Lord: Grimm Burloksson, Upstart Master Engineer
Faction: The Cogsmiths
Starting Location: Cobra Pass (formerly province of Greybeard Prospectors)Possible Units:Veteran Prospector:
Hero, miner with steamdrill
Battle map abilities
- Vanguard Deployment
- Tunnel (unit can move hidden in any terrain at 75% speed until in combat)
- Cave-in (traps/freezes/nets targeted enemy units)
Campaign map abilities
- Sapper: breaks city walls
- Mining: chance to harvest resources in enemy lands
- Spelunking: report on enemy units garrisoned in settlement/cityBombardFirethrower
(might be redundant with Irondrakes, maybe increased range/reduced movement speed)MortarSwivel Gunsource:
Apocrypha Now (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay WFRP) pg. 40Volley Gunsource:
Apocrypha Now (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay WFRP) pg. 40War BalloonProspectors (Miners w/ Steam Drills)
Same stats as Miners, removes Vanguard Deployment ability, adds Tunnel ability (unit can move hidden in any terrain at 75% speed until in combat), Adds Sapper ability (able to break walls on battle map)
4. OPTIONAL (nice shiney things to consider)
FLC Lord: Burlok Damminsson
Starting Location: ZhufbarSteam-Powered Hammering Tower ThingyDivide Ironbreakers into four variants:
1) Ironbeards (cinderblast charges with shield & hammer -> hammer weapon option is not in the army book per se, I just want new Dwarf hammer assets that look like the table top models, give cinderblast charges to "Ironbeards", a new unit, create more beard-protecting helmets, with chain/scale mail added to the face, and 1H hammers/shields. Like the models/concept art below. Also give them white/grey beards to reflect the age requirement to become an Ironbeard.)
2) Ironbeards (Ironbreakers w/ Drakefire Pistols & melee weapon, w/o shield)
3) Ironbreakers (no cinderblast charges, melee unit only, wielding axes, take away cinderblast charges from Ironbreakers and buff some other stat to compensate the nerf, maybe a bit more melee attack (+1 per unit) and slight increase in mass)
4) Ironbreakers (no cinderblast charges, melee unit only, wielding greatweapon for armor piercing, take away cinderblast charges from Ironbreakers and buff some other stat to compensate the nerf, again with perhaps a bit more melee attack (+1 per unit) and slight increase in mass)"Grudge Buster"