Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So, what are the bad guys razing in WH3?

2»

Comments

• Daedalusx007Daedalusx007 Registered Users Posts: 72
    Kabulk33 said:

If not expanding East I would prefer that WH3 map will include WH1 map as well

Frankly there is so much work to do in the games right now that makes Cathay a fairly silly idea.

Beastmen, Wood Elves, and Warriors of Chaos need reworks.

Game three races may require all the current races to be reworked again. (Although honestly I suspect the long time that game three is taking is a result of lessons learned when combining games one and two aka Norsca. So it might be that they will do their best to keep everything smoothed out between what's been done and what's coming.)

From a perspective of completeness Kislev and the Southern Realms deserve thier own rosters instead of Empire rosters.

As for the map, the Darklands will be fairly busy. The area carved out already, yet unfilled on the Mortal Empires map is pretty substantial.

You have your point yes... but if completion of WH1 and WH2 races is a core objective (with which I agree), then why do we need a WH3 and not just:
    1) 3 race packs (Demons/Chaos Dwarves/Ogres) and expansion of the current ME map to the east to include the Darklands?
    2) 2 Race packs for races already with a placeholder (Kislev and Southern realms)
    3) Lordpacks to bring all races to completion

Just it doesnt make sense a 3rd game for such a small part of the map compared to Vortex...

If WH3 coming as a separate game I expect something more than Darklands
    I don't think there is any such thing as a faction being completed. There is simply too many units and Lords from a nearly 30 year old game. As for why game 3 mostly because CA said at the start of all this that there would be three games.

And I don't think that a racial rework need to be paired with a DLC. That's just gravy if it is.
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong but those are the ways to bet.

I fully support Dogs of War and Kislev for DLC.
  • NateSMZNateSMZ Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 222
    Cathay is most likely coming. The gameplay and business benefits are clear.
  • Kabulk33Kabulk33 Registered Users Posts: 105
    edited May 19

I see your points... but still I think that after giving us WH2 map (Blue area), trying to sell us WH3A map (Orange) as a separate game instead of WH3B map (purple) will make many people disappointed. For doing that I think that they would have cancelled a third game and just milk game 2 with DLCs

• neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 5,189
    NateSMZ said:

Cathay might come yes but it is VERY far from being likely.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    Kabulk33 said:

I think that after giving us WH2 map (Blue area), trying to sell us WH3A map (Orange) as a separate game instead of WH3B map (purple) will make many people disappointed.

Option A isn't happening. Option B also seems unrealistic. I bet on something like that:
    neodeinos said:

NateSMZ said:

The arguments against its inclusion are from the vantage point of the tabletop, not from the vantage point of a video game. Anyone who realizes that CA is a video game company, can see that Cathay is most likely coming.

With that said, I think the map posted above is a bit too hopeful. Cathay is most likely coming; but including lands like Ind, Kuresh, and Nippon is probably too hopeful.
    NateSMZ said:

neodeinos said:

NateSMZ said:

The arguments against its inclusion are from the vantage point of the tabletop, not from the vantage point of a video game. Anyone who realizes that CA is a video game company, can see that Cathay is most likely coming.

With that said, I think the map posted above is a bit too hopeful. Cathay is most likely coming; but including lands like Ind, Kuresh, and Nippon is probably too hopeful.
    There is nothing suggesting Cathay is likely in the slightiest. It may come but saying it is likely is complete nonsense.
    SerPus said:

Kabulk33 said:

I think that after giving us WH2 map (Blue area), trying to sell us WH3A map (Orange) as a separate game instead of WH3B map (purple) will make many people disappointed.

Option A isn't happening. Option B also seems unrealistic. I bet on something like that:

I agree that WH3 B is too much, but I find your option WH3 C still very small compared to WH2...

I´m not a fan of Cathay, sincerely I would rather prefer all core races being complete with all the LLs and more as we have enough races... I'm just trying to figure out how they will manage the situation... sincerly as a company with a game 3 I wouldnt give much less than in game 2... Unless introducing something really new as naval battles for example... What I mean is that Game 3 will contain something unexpected as otherwise it doesn´t justify a separate game...
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    Kabulk33 said:

I agree that WH3 B is too much, but I find your option WH3 C still very small compared to WH2...

You need to remember that the in-game map is totally different in proportions. Look at the map that you posted: Araby there is almost as big as the whole Old World.
    Now compare it with this

• Daedalusx007Daedalusx007 Registered Users Posts: 72
    NateSMZ said:

neodeinos said:

NateSMZ said:

No the arguments against it's inclusion are from a game flow and design perspective. It's too far away, gains nothing, requires extensive work to include. And as I've said in previous threads people overestimate the popularity of Warhammer (both 40k and Fantasy) in China.
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong but those are the ways to bet.

I fully support Dogs of War and Kislev for DLC.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 4,023

NateSMZ said:

neodeinos said:

NateSMZ said:

No the arguments against it's inclusion are from a game flow and design perspective. It's too far away, gains nothing, requires extensive work to include. And as I've said in previous threads people overestimate the popularity of Warhammer (both 40k and Fantasy) in China.
    Neither are popular in china. As some one coming from asain nation. Table top gmaes were just not popular in the past. If gw want to join the market they have to approach it from a different angle.

But hey it is possible just have to do things differently. That said do GW actually want to join the market is a valid question. They might be content with the current market.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia
    neodeinos said:

There is nothing suggesting Cathay is likely in the slightiest. It may come but saying it is likely is complete nonsense.

Well we'll see.

Based on the gameplay and business benefits I'd say it's likely. Those two things are certainly not nonsense for a video game developer.

NateSMZ said:

neodeinos said:

NateSMZ said:

CA doesn't even need Cathay to sell the game in China anyway.
    SerPus said:

Kabulk33 said:

You need to remember that the in-game map is totally different in proportions. Look at the map that you posted: Araby there is almost as big as the whole Old World.
    Now compare it with this

Yes you are right, the size is not proportional 100%, however the size difference is still too big. Also consider that in WH3C 80% (approx.) of the map native races are Chaos Dwarves, Ogres and Hob-Goblins... rest of it split between Chaos Demons, vampires, orcs and a small representation of Dwarves, Woodelves and any expedition they may add.

Still, and going to my first post again... it is really missing a Good guys settled empire. As a nitche game for "chaotic" players is fine, but I think CA will intend something with more variety.
    NateSMZ said:

neodeinos said:

Well we'll see.

Based on the gameplay and business benefits I'd say it's likely. Those two things are certainly not nonsense for a video game developer.
    Would it benefit the game ? Most likely, yes. Does it make it more likely ? Nop.
    edited May 19
    Take a look at todays patch notes... they are clearly targeting China...

• Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,376
    As unlikely as it is, I'm hoping for Cathay.

Aside from the stable of unique units they bring (terra-cotta warriors, ki-rin, gold dragons, magical fireworks, dragon-blooded mages that throw fire and ice, etc.), I'd be disappointed if the culmination of Game 3's Chaos campaign is a retread of Game 1. I've already stomped the Empire many times. I'd like to stomp an independent Kislev with its own roster, but they're still a minor power and stomping them without the Empire isn't a very impressive achievement.

If Game 3 was just an expansion like it was originally going to be, trashing Kislev and the Empire again would be fine. But for a standalone $60 game, and as a followup to the entirely unique locations and races of Game 2, I want more.

Cathay, from the lore snippets we have about it, is a large and powerful human race that's been fighting Chaos for millennia, just like the humans of the Old World. They're the Empire equivalent of the Far East, only instead of having a bunch of angry Slavs as a buffer state they have the Great Bastion to help defend their northern border.

Fighting them would be much more challenging for Chaos than just fighting Kislev alone, and it'd avoid rehashing Game 1 by including the Empire. Something like this snippet from 8e WHFB Rulebook, p. 219:

Or this Beastman attack on a Cathayan watchtower from the Tamurkhan supplement for 8e (sorry about the awful image quality):

That sounds like an awesome capstone for a Chaos campaign in Game 3, different from Game 1 and strong enough to make the player feel mighty for crushing them, plus it'd be another cool Order race for players.
    Kabulk33 said:

They bothered translating the patchnotes in Chinese this clearly means Cathay is likely /s.
    neodeinos said:

Kabulk33 said:

They bothered translating the patchnotes in Chinese this clearly means Cathay is likely /s.
    :D:D:D

Catahy confirmed, when translate it in Spanish/Italian, then we will have for sure Southern realms
    I was joking, but it is the first time they are translating the patch notes in any language, and its Chinese, I think they were reading us in the forum and just throw the hint for us :D
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 7,089
    I think they might actually integrate game 1 into game 3 somehow. As much as I would dislike it.

Essentially, making a map that's only accessible with two different games without being able to incorporate them separately from each other might just be too much. Therefore, game 1 will probably be integrated somehow into game 3.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • Lin_HuichiLin_Huichi Registered Users Posts: 439
    No need to add Empire to the standalone map, as it is going to be in the Combined Map.
  • Ares354Ares354 Registered Users Posts: 3,158
    NateSMZ said:

GW is the one who own Warhammer. They say what is coming, not CA
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 581
    If Empire makes it to game 3, I hope we will still have 4 races EXCLUDING empire. Otherwise, it's gonna be cheap move from CA part.