Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Skaven have enough content for 3 more DLCs

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 10,513

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Sorry, but Skaven don't need to have every random units what you can find on wiki. I see no reason to make 3 more lord packs for them to just add random units without own role in the game.

We can still have a few stuff from Defenders of Hellpit list as campaign exclusive units for Throt mechanic. B)
    I will be super happy if Skaven will get just these stuff:

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

• Legendary Lord: Throt the Unclean
    • Legendary Hero: Ghoritch
    • Generic Lord: Master Mutator
    • Generic Hero: Packmaster
    • Unit 1: Giant Rats - low tier fest cavalry unit
    • Unit 2: Wolf Rats - low tier fest cavalry unit, better version of Giant Rats
    • Unit 3: Brood Horror - new interesting monster on tier 4 and new mount option
    • Units 4-6: Stormfiends(multiple variants) - ultimate mix of weapons teams and rat ogres on tier 5. Most likely Stormfiends will be single entity unit in the game.
    All of these units will add a few new intersting options for Skaven in the game. B)

FLC stuff:
    • Generic Plague Lord for full thematic Clan Pestians armies.
    • Thanquol
    • Skreech Verminking(+ Verminlord)

I don't care about rest "missing" stuff. Sure, Skaven can get a few more FLC characters like Warlord Feskit, Klawmunkas or Skweel Gnawtooth in charge on minor Skaven Clans but they are not necessary at all.
    Well that stuff exists so it’s realistic to assume that CA will use it right? I mean they did the exact same thing for the last few DLCs...

We passed the point where anything is needed. Nothing is needed anymore.
    CA could’ve stopped the DLC support after H&B and everyone would’ve been fine.

But they started to go beyond armybooks and even beyond Army lists. Stuff like Rangers and Silverin Guard were never a thing, but they still added them. That’s why we will most likely get a Sea Patrol LP in WH3.

More content is always good and if we assume a DLC support of 4-6 years, 3 more Skaven DLCs are absolutely realistic.
    Of course other races should also get it.

The more the merrier.
    yeah but why can not the same apply to brets? WE ? or any other faction
    Because Brets don‘t have that much. CA already made up stuff for them.

I would like a Bretonnia LP but since they are just FLC it’s simply unlikely and probably won’t happen. Bretonnia got Repanse in WH2 they won’t get another LL now. Just be realistic and put aside your personal bias.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 5,752
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Sorry, but Skaven don't need to have every random units what you can find on wiki. I see no reason to make 3 more lord packs for them to just add random units without own role in the game.

We can still have a few stuff from Defenders of Hellpit list as campaign exclusive units for Throt mechanic. B)

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

• Units 4-6: Stormfiends(multiple variants) - ultimate mix of weapons teams and rat ogres on tier 5. Most likely Stormfiends will be single entity unit in the game.
    All of these units will add a few new intersting options for Skaven in the game. B)

FLC stuff:
    • Thanquol

I don't care about rest "missing" stuff. Sure, Skaven can get a few more FLC characters like Warlord Feskit, Klawmunkas or Skweel Gnawtooth in charge on minor Skaven Clans but they are not necessary at all.
    Well that stuff exists so it’s realistic to assume that CA will use it right? I mean they did the exact same thing for the last few DLCs...

But they started to go beyond armybooks and even beyond Army lists. Stuff like Rangers and Silverin Guard were never a thing, but they still added them. That’s why we will most likely get a Sea Patrol LP in WH3.

More content is always good and if we assume a DLC support of 4-6 years, 3 more Skaven DLCs are absolutely realistic.

The more the merrier.

I would like a Bretonnia LP but since they are just FLC it’s simply unlikely and probably won’t happen. Bretonnia got Repanse in WH2 they won’t get another LL now. Just be realistic and put aside your personal bias.
    no i won't just like every one else in this fourm.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 7,928
    No, not three. 2 is enough and is more based on actual units on TT.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 3,390
    It´s not hard to swallow at all mate, it´s just "the natural way of things"

Some races are more important than others, some races inhabit major territories(even to the point of being world encompassing) where other races are a mere speck on the world map, it´s okay, Skaven are superior, the master race so to speak, revel in it, embrace it, you will be more happy when you realize the natural way of things.
    edited May 28
    Ps: warp-fire dragons can go to the same hell as shard dragons, they deserve cleansing fire nothing else.

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

FLC stuff:
    • Thanquol

The more the merrier.

no i won't just like every one else in this fourm.
    Then prepare for being disappointed mate.

Chances for a FLC race to be part of a LP are kinda slim, but hey go for it bud!
    I personally would save all that energy you are putting in that fight, but you do you...

Just realise that personal opinions doesn’t matter for CA. The only questions that matter are:
    - What content exists?
    - Will that said content sell?

The answer for both questions is the same: yes-yes

A Skaven DLC will probably always sell good so it makes sense from CAs perspective.
    Crossil said:

Actual units on TT is something that doesn’t matter anymore for DLCs. The new trend seems to be 1 armybook unit accompanied by obscure units and lore blurbs.

I like that trend because more is always better.

Would 1 more LP be enough? Yes!
    Would 2 more LPs be enough? Yes!
    Would 3 be better? Yes!

More is always better.
  • manpersalmanpersal Registered Users Posts: 648
    I think your post title is wrong, as you seem to imply that Skaven will be getting content regularly, but that's not what you're saying in your comments. I don't like skavens but I don't care if they receive 3,5 or 10 DLCs as long as all other races receive attention too and I'm pretty sure that's the feeling of most of the cpmmunity. When people say that they don't fancy Moulder for next lord pack they're not saying that skaven shouldn't receive anymore content, just that some other races deserve attention now and that Skaven and Clan Moulder can wait for Game 3 to make their appearance.
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,153
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

FLC stuff:
    • Thanquol

The more the merrier.

If they can make up stuff for skaven they can make stuff up for other factions as well.

Turning unit champions into individual units has been done before. Obscure lore references, thematic stuff like eshin tirads. All this can be done for every faction.
    manpersal said:

I think your post title is wrong, as you seem to imply that Skaven will be getting content regularly, but that's not what you're saying in your comments. I don't like skavens but I don't care if they receive 3,5 or 10 DLCs as long as all other races receive attention too and I'm pretty sure that's the feeling of most of the cpmmunity. When people say that they don't fancy Moulder for next lord pack they're not saying that skaven shouldn't receive anymore content, just that some other races deserve attention now and that Skaven and Clan Moulder can wait for Game 3 to make their appearance.

I‘m in the same boat as you mate. But if we just look at WH2 and it’s races Clan Moulder is the only thing that’s actually „missing“.

• GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 4,541

Goatforce said:

Would prefer Skreech as a 3rd LL if we get 3 more personally to give daemon rep rather than just another Skryre engineer.

But personally I am more inclined to say 2 - depending on what CAs plans are for game 3's development cycle - is sine for Skaven. We are likely to get a few Monstrous Arcanum/supplement things with the Moulder pack, but I think that Skaven's roster is big enough that it doesn't need a ton more supplementary stuff personally.

Of course if CA supports WH3 for something like 5-10 years - which is quite possible - then fine, go wild (though not sure about giving Skaven a dragon, they should not really have an aerial presence it is one of the few things they can't do and should probably stay that way).

I think a Warp Dragon could count as a final challenge for Throt. What's more challenging than moulding a hated enemy.
    Could be part of a monster hunt mechanic for Throt.

I think what CA think mostly about (and rightly so) will it sell? Looking at a Klawmunkast unit list I'd say yes.. easily.

I'd say these guys could be part of the same mechanic:

- Armoured Rat Ogres
    - Mutated Rat Ogres
    - Augmented Rat Ogres (melee)
    Oh I wouldn't mind it as an opponent, with maybe 1 being recruitable as a RoR-ish thing in campaign, but they should not get it as an entry in their roster - Skaven are not meant to be an air power, it is one of their few weaknesses overall, getting a Dragon would completely break that.

They put out Ghorst, they put out Nakai (popular on here but he is very obscure, was definitely added for the interesting matchup with Wulfhart), also Eshin was a very strange add before the far more militarily relevent Moulder - CA tends to go with a theme, not necessarily on any "what's flashiest" basis, which is highly subjective. And on "wow factor" I am not really sure Klawmunkast really has it above his competition, Even if we say he is flashier than Thrott it is irrelevent as Thrott is guaranteed at some point, same with Thanquol but he is also a beloved character and could sell a £7 DLC by himself, I don't think a rat in a tank (not so dissimilar from a rat in a Doomwheel) can compete with a giant Daemonic rat either - I think Skreech would probably be far more appealing in mainstream sales personally. So yes maybe Klaw would sell, but you are forgetting he has extremely stiff competition and financially may not be the best choice for CA compared to others who are more major and/or unique. Just because you find Klaw and his related stuff to look great doesn't mean everyone else will, you may be right but perhaps not, personally I don't find the Klawmunkast list particularly interesting as it just seems to rehash existing stuff imo.

But yeah some form of augmentation system would be very cool for Thrott.
    ArneSo said:

Steamage said:

Warpfire-dragon?

No chance in hell!

I never gonna accept them as a part of the skaven roster.

Everything else is fine.

It was just an idea. CA likes to use Monstrous arcanum stuff so the Warpfire Dragon is definitely a valid option.

If content exists it should be added. The more the merrier.
    I would prefer that for WoC though, I really don't think Skaven should get access to a powerful airborne unit, lack of an airforce should be held as a weakness for the Skaven imo.
    Uagrim said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

FLC stuff:
    • Thanquol

The more the merrier.

If they can make up stuff for skaven they can make stuff up for other factions as well.

Turning unit champions into individual units has been done before. Obscure lore references, thematic stuff like eshin tirads. All this can be done for every faction.
    Okay my first answer got lost in the edit oblivion so I try it again:

Bretonnia already god made up stuff like Hyppogryph knights right? So CA already gave them more love than GW ever did.

The fact is that Bretonnia is JUST a FLC race. Skaven, the Empire and GS are core races.

Bretonnia is fine as is. Another FLC in WH3 will do.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 7,928
    ArneSo said:

Crossil said:

Actual units on TT is something that doesn’t matter anymore for DLCs. The new trend seems to be 1 armybook unit accompanied by obscure units and lore blurbs.

Would 3 be better? Yes!

More is always better.
    I wasn't saying armybook, I was saying TT units. Moulder has GPR, Giant Rats, Wolf Rats and Brood Horror as outright units(and mount) to add, while stuff like Chimaerat and Augmented Ogres are filler which could appear but wasn't really that relevant. Flayerkin fit better with Norsca, perhaps as a unique unit you get from a building in Hellpit just for lulz. Burrowing Behemoth seems redundant to me as we have Warp-grinders and Hellpit Abomination, but that might just be me.

Stormfiends are end times so Thanquol. Warpfire Dragon, honestly, only fits Skaven because warpstone but it isn't really fitting for them design-wise. Skaven don't really give up their warpstone to others.

Klawmunkast doesn't appear as a character in any real way. At least with Alberic, Ghorst and Nakai they were depicted as full characters in different materials but this guy is simply listed as a name alongside a specific engine, not as his own character. Besides, we have Ikit for the machinery.

The tank and that massive cannon, I doubt CA will implement. They might but only one tank existed and it was taken off of the Empire while the cannon appeared in one specific scenario, I think. These are not really all that likely to ever happen. Maybe the tank might appear with Thanquol but he already has enough with Stormfiends and Verminlords.

I would like you to give me a list of these obscure and lore blurb units from the game just to see what you define as such, because you seem to think this is a common occurrence or something.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• HonigpasteHonigpaste Registered Users Posts: 8
    I just really hope that if the next DLC contains Skaven that the other side of the update gives us another dwarf Lord. Hopefully another Dark Elf lord so that all warhammer 2 main factions have the same number of lords.

I think the dwarf are in dire need of some units to fight against the new threats they have to face since the skaven got the first DLC and the orks now getting a new one. Also Skaven vs Dwarf is such a big rivalry that it would be a real missed oppurtunity to not include a vs DLC with these two factions.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 2,433
    More DLCs? sure. However, some of them should be in game 3, so they could get rivalries with other factions as well.

E.g. Skaven vs Chaos Dwarves would be interesting.
    Reeks said:

Ps: warp-fire dragons can go to the same hell as shard dragons, they deserve cleansing fire nothing else.

I would say maybe for a race with dragons they would be ok (WoC), but for Skaven they should absolutely not be a regular unit (at most a single recruitable RoR).

I think the best way to implement Wf and Shard Dragons would be as very powerful but Neutral npc creatures that might roam around the campaign map or maybe in certain areas interupt battles as a unit hostile to both sides. I would love to see hostile random big creatures turn up in battles and shake things up. Other things like Bonegrinders would also be cool in that capacity.
    Uagrim said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

FLC stuff:
    • Thanquol

The more the merrier.

Yes they can, but that doesn’t make it likely. Especially Since we already got some love for Bretonnia.

Bretonnia is just a FLC Race. WE are just a DLC race. Skaven, HE, GS or the Empire are all core races. So obviously they have a higher priority for CA. That’s a hard to swallow pill I know but that’s how it is.
    edited May 28
    Crossil said:

ArneSo said:

Crossil said:

Would 3 be better? Yes!

More is always better.
    I wasn't saying armybook, I was saying TT units. Moulder has GPR, Giant Rats, Wolf Rats and Brood Horror as outright units(and mount) to add, while stuff like Chimaerat and Augmented Ogres are filler which could appear but wasn't really that relevant. Flayerkin fit better with Norsca, perhaps as a unique unit you get from a building in Hellpit just for lulz. Burrowing Behemoth seems redundant to me as we have Warp-grinders and Hellpit Abomination, but that might just be me.

Stormfiends are end times so Thanquol. Warpfire Dragon, honestly, only fits Skaven because warpstone but it isn't really fitting for them design-wise. Skaven don't really give up their warpstone to others.

Klawmunkast doesn't appear as a character in any real way. At least with Alberic, Ghorst and Nakai they were depicted as full characters in different materials but this guy is simply listed as a name alongside a specific engine, not as his own character. Besides, we have Ikit for the machinery.

The tank and that massive cannon, I doubt CA will implement. They might but only one tank existed and it was taken off of the Empire while the cannon appeared in one specific scenario, I think. These are not really all that likely to ever happen. Maybe the tank might appear with Thanquol but he already has enough with Stormfiends and Verminlords.

I would like you to give me a list of these obscure and lore blurb units from the game just to see what you define as such, because you seem to think this is a common occurrence or something.
    I was checking the Defenders of Hellpit army list. That list seems to be official from my knowledge.

Packmasters were basically Skaven with whips together with beasts so they could be a single unit to buff monsters.

Warpfire Dragon is questionable I agree but it is from the MA so it would be valid even if I personally wouldn’t like it.

The Magma Cannon and Rat tank had models. The Warpstone Mutants are mentioned in the paper about Klawmunkast so I considered them as lore blurbs, but still valid candidates for a LP.
    Goatforce said:

Reeks said:

I would say maybe for a race with dragons they would be ok (WoC), but for Skaven they should absolutely not be a regular unit (at most a single recruitable RoR).

I think the best way to implement Wf and Shard Dragons would be as very powerful but Neutral npc creatures that might roam around the campaign map or maybe in certain areas interupt battles as a unit hostile to both sides. I would love to see hostile random big creatures turn up in battles and shake things up. Other things like Bonegrinders would also be cool in that capacity.
    Like that idea a lot, well thought out!

They do not deserve a place in the Dawi and Skaven roster tho!

More DLCs? sure. However, some of them should be in game 3, so they could get rivalries with other factions as well.

E.g. Skaven vs Chaos Dwarves would be interesting.

What’s what I had in mind.

WH2:
    Throt vs Dwarfs/VC/BM

WH3:
    Thanquol vs DoC
    Klawmunkast vs Chaos Dwarfs

• MrDragonMrDragon Registered Users Posts: 991
    3 more Skaven DLCs? 3?!

I think 1 + an FLC, maybe 2 is warranted but 3 is stretching it really.

In that case Vampire Counts should get Zacharias, Neferata, the Red Duke and Vorag so what... call that 2 DLC and 2 FLCs?

LM another two for Oxy en Tetto

Empire another 3, Tombkings another 1, DE have by those criteria room for another two etc etc.

Madness that way lies....

I expect:
    Dwarves, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves and Beastmen to be the top of the list to get some love either before or shortly after game 3 launches.
    Game 3 to focus on game 3 factions and sprinkle in a cross-game lord for DLC or FLC every now and then after they've given Daemons some meat on their bones as the major antagonist force of game 3 and the most varied army on the table-top with its 4 major facets that are arguably factions in their own right rather than just subfactions..... as this forum has debated a few thousand times in the last year.

By the time the Skaven got even a 2nd DLC after Moulder (which certainly feels like it would arrive before summer next year) I expect some of the badly snubbed factions to have gotten some love.
  • redknight83redknight83 Registered Users Posts: 181
    edited May 28
    Yes, yes, Clan moulder lord pack needed

But seriously the dark elves have all their units, same for high elves (- Lothen skycutter), same for Lizardmen( -troglodon). However but with a Clan Moudler lord pack there is a massive list of units you could add. You could have them go up against Dwarfs, Beastmen (add in rework), vampire counts, basically everyone hates the skaven in the warhammer world.

I think there would be smaller list than suggested at the top probably something like:
    Throt the Unclean:
    - Master Moulder Lord
    - Broodhorror
    - Pack Master Infantry
    - Giant Rats
    - Wolf Rats
    - Armoured Rat Ogres
    - Mutated Rat Ogres

- Great Pox Rat (mount) (maybe as flc in the same way spider mount given to gobbos)
    ArneSo said:

Uagrim said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

FLC stuff:
    • Thanquol

The more the merrier.

Yes they can, but that doesn’t make it likely. Especially Since we already got some love for Bretonnia.

Bretonnia is just a FLC Race. WE are just a DLC race. Skaven, HE, GS or the Empire are all core races. So obviously they have a higher priority for CA. That’s a hard to swallow pill I know but that’s how it is.
    Without the hippogrph knights bretonnia would be utter loser of a faction. But the thing is thats it there are no synergy or great balance between bret units. They are really good for their price point in a vaccum against similar units. But as a army whole they just doesn't mesh making them the weakest faction in game.
    And mp does matter because in sp no mechanic is balanced. You can buff goblin archers to the point they melt. Chosen . Seriously why though it is becuse no tech, skill or utem traits are balanced.

Then how do we know a unit is actually decent well first take the unbuffed unit a pitch against another unbuffed unit.

Same for factions. Now were can that happen
    1. Custom battles
    2. Mp

Now the issue is ai can not fully utilize army abilites or unit abilities properly like vanguard and follow traditional set algorithms.

So now what do you do at that point you take the ai out and have player vs player battles. To get the most valid data.

Why do you actually think CA use mp to balance their units. If this is a sp only game. Seriously use common sense. It is not because mp has a bigger player pool its just better to unit performance for the given faction.

So mp doesn't matter is a stupid statement. It matters to ca and thats all that count.

ArneSo said:

Uagrim said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

FLC stuff:
    • Thanquol

The more the merrier.

Without the hippogrph knights bretonnia would be utter loser of a faction. But the thing is thats it there are no synergy or great balance between bret units. They are really good for their price point in a vaccum against similar units. But as a army whole they just doesn't mesh making them the weakest faction in game.
    And mp does matter because in sp no mechanic is balanced. You can buff goblin archers to the point they melt. Chosen . Seriously why though it is becuse no tech, skill or utem traits are balanced.

Then how do we know a unit is actually decent well first take the unbuffed unit a pitch against another unbuffed unit.

1. Custom battles
    2. Mp

Now the issue is ai can not fully utilize army abilites or unit abilities properly like vanguard and follow traditional set algorithms.

So now what do you do at that point you take the ai out and have player vs player battles. To get the most valid data.

Why do you actually think CA use mp to balance their units. If this is a sp only game. Seriously use common sense. It is not because mp has a bigger player pool its just better to unit performance for the given faction.

So mp doesn't matter is a stupid statement. It matters to ca and thats all that count.
    MP doesn’t matter in that discussion. Bretonnia probably sucks in MP because they are a Cavalry race with trash infantry. But that’s what they are about.

And again, in the Campaign Bretonnia is on steroids and that’s everything that matters.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,897
    I'd like to see Thanquol be a hero since he's a Grey Seer and was never clan specific anyway. Throt should definitely be added as a LL though. Hellpit is waiting for him.
  • MrDragonMrDragon Registered Users Posts: 991
    ArneSo, you know I love you man, but yeah, this topic is framed rather obnoxiously. It's almost like you're trying to rile people up with the whole: "Bitter pill to swallow" angle.
    neodeinos said:

ArneSo said:

Okay why am I getting flagged? 😂

Seems to be a really hard to swallow pill for some people...

It's not a reason to flag you but to be honest just reading the title without clicking the topic already made it obnoxious. I'm sure it wasn't your intent but it does kinda sound annoying the way you put it.
    Wasn't my intention to be honest, just thought it was fitting since there seems to be a certain negativity about more Skaven content recently.
    edited May 28
    MrDragon said:

ArneSo, you know I love you man, but yeah, this topic is framed rather obnoxiously. It's almost like you're trying to rile people up with the whole: "Bitter pill to swallow" angle.

Yeah I will edit the title then since that wasn't my intention.
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Uagrim said:

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Labria said:

Clan Moulder Lord pack:

FLC stuff:
    • Thanquol

The more the merrier.

1. Custom battles
    2. Mp

MP doesn’t matter in that discussion. Bretonnia probably sucks in MP because they are a Cavalry race with trash infantry. But that’s what they are about.

And again, in the Campaign Bretonnia is on steroids and that’s everything that matters.
    I told you in a another thread why and you dodged it .

Here is why they do good in campaign as ai.

Better ar values.

Oder race so get trade agreements
    No supply lines so can feild near endless stacks.

Confederation is a tech + dilemma so very easy.

None of them make bretonnia good in actual battles.
    There mechanics are just shallow ban aids.

And don't dodge it again.

Also if you didn't know ai vs ai is auto resolve they don't actually paly the battles like player would.