Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Epic Games Supporters

13»

Comments

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 3,905
    Rubzy said:

Gobsmaka said:

Rubzy said:

People keep saying this Spyware thing, but no-one ever bothers to provide credible evidence.

It's not like Facebook and Google owns your soul already. I also highly doubt that the Chinese government are remotely interested in the typical information that regular users have, the benefit gained from sorting through billions of people information just seems unreasonable.

No but they are interested in the 48% profits they pull from it,
    *GASP* governments like money...how immoral. Still doesn't make it spyware. The CIA would have knocked on Epic's door a long time ago if that was true. Or are you telling me the CIA won't intervene when something is clearly public knowledge...I somehow doubt that a couple of neckbeards have info that the CIA doesn't.
    That's not how that works. Especially since twncent confessed a few years ago that anything on their servers can essentially be accessed. Companies in china do not have the same rights as in the US or EU. Many of them are straight up state owned enterprises.

Also, the CIA does in fact warn you that when dealing with chinese companies the government will probably have access. They in fact ban government employees from using many Chinese company owned apps, games, and hardware. For this reason. They announce new chinese own apps banned for us servicemen all the time.

You, the private individual, still have the right to use these.

Meaning, you don't know how any this works and yes they very much can snoop on you. Yes the CIA is aware but it seems the one person who wasn't.... was you.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 20,670
    edited June 3
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

I'm all for it. Epic Games isn't the nicest company but competition between Steam and Epic Games means better results for game developers. That's a good thing.

Exclusivity is not positive competition, it's a direct monopoly on the individual game bought with shear bulk funds not because Epic games offers anything of value. Especially as they continue to try and win developers over rather 5han consumers. It's the idea to make us come, rather than lure us.

Supporting that is ludicrous.
    I don't support them winning the fight. I support them starting it.
    You support them doing anticonsumer points? Like you support them starting a fight using tactics that are designed to by monopolizing distribution?

You out here defending as you always do with no concept of the consequences. The very method of starting it already has negative effects. They have outright sniped kickstarter campaigns funded by fans and promised steam keys and steam support. Thrown cash around to lock out other platforms despite statements otherwise prior by devs.

You sir, are ignorant to the beast which you defend. This fight has not benefited me in any way. Other platforms have not changed in any way because ultimately Epic has offered consumers nothing on a service level other than a few free games. There are otherwise no benefits and plenty of negatives. Their only method of fighting any fight is to lock out our choices. They peddle to developers to make us go. And is a store that has caused me issues by simply existing.

So once more, your support is ludicrous.
    If you want to make personal snipes do that, if you want to discuss topic with me you can do that. Both isn't an option.

If EG gets big enough Steam is forced to compete. The only scenario where in the long term consumers don't benefit is if EG completely fails and wastes huge amounts of money, or if Steam simply refuses to compete. There needs to be competition. For years companies have tried to compete without exclusives, for years they have failed.

Is Epic perfect? No. I want it to lose. However if long term Steam lowers its rate or a good genuine alternate store rises I'm for that. I agree with your point about Chinese companies. Though I don't trust American companies any more - Just look at Tik Tok.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • IndefatigableIndefatigable Registered Users Posts: 35
    Personally I already loathe Steam so I am not adverse, in principle, to a move. For what is essentially a sales platform they have tacked on so much extra rubbish that I hate it... the change to the steam library a year or so ago just rubbed it in. I have now blocked the steamwebbrowser and am sticking to the small library mode as much as possible.

Happy to give Epic a go if it is less of a pain in the arse than Steam
  • BRiiTASH2BRiiTASH2 Registered Users Posts: 417

I'm all for it. Epic Games isn't the nicest company but competition between Steam and Epic Games means better results for game developers. That's a good thing.

If it was about "competition", or as CA says, wanting to offer it on more platforms, they wouldn't have given Epic a One Year exclusivity. the free launch? OK. A couple of weeks exclusivity? OK...

Also, if they just wanted to improve Steam competition, then they'd also have brought it on GOG...
    GOG?

I mean between platforms. Exclusives are how EG competes with Steam.

Ultimately if this competition results in Steam lowering its cut of sales long term that's good for the industry.
    No, steam having such a large share of the industry is one of the ways it can afford to offer such frequent and heavy discounts during its Steam Sales. Steams security, customer support and modding support is far superior to anything EGS offers, and the idea that EGS should recieve preferential treatment and exclusivity rights simply because tencent and the CCP can afford to finance it throwing $$$ at developers and studios is the most anti consumer practice ever and one that we absolutely should not support.
  • RubzyRubzy Registered Users Posts: 205
    edited June 3
    Nyxilis said:

Rubzy said:

Gobsmaka said:

Rubzy said:

People keep saying this Spyware thing, but no-one ever bothers to provide credible evidence.

It's not like Facebook and Google owns your soul already. I also highly doubt that the Chinese government are remotely interested in the typical information that regular users have, the benefit gained from sorting through billions of people information just seems unreasonable.

No but they are interested in the 48% profits they pull from it,
    *GASP* governments like money...how immoral. Still doesn't make it spyware. The CIA would have knocked on Epic's door a long time ago if that was true. Or are you telling me the CIA won't intervene when something is clearly public knowledge...I somehow doubt that a couple of neckbeards have info that the CIA doesn't.
    That's not how that works. Especially since twncent confessed a few years ago that anything on their servers can essentially be accessed. Companies in china do not have the same rights as in the US or EU. Many of them are straight up state owned enterprises.

Also, the CIA does in fact warn you that when dealing with chinese companies the government will probably have access. They in fact ban government employees from using many Chinese company owned apps, games, and hardware. For this reason. They announce new chinese own apps banned for us servicemen all the time.

You, the private individual, still have the right to use these.

Meaning, you don't know how any this works and yes they very much can snoop on you. Yes the CIA is aware but it seems the one person who wasn't.... was you.
    If CIA thinks that Epic is dangerous...why doesn't the US enforce that ban on a nationwide scale then? Can't be that dangerous then since the public access outnumbers servicemen by the thousands...surely any sensitive information would already have been violated anyway.

This is ignoring the fact that Epic isn't a Chinese company though, it's not an Chinese state owned enterprise.

Also as a non-American, why should I trust the CIA over the Chinese, seems like choosing a different demon.

• DarklawthDarklawth Registered Users Posts: 13
    Competition is both people starting a race at the same time. Not telling one competitor they have to wait a year to start. The only thing to take from this is that CA wanted more money, plain and simple. It's not an "evil" decision, it's just a business one. I will personally never download the epic games launcher but I understand why CA did what they did; MONEY.

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Exclusivity is not positive competition, it's a direct monopoly on the individual game bought with shear bulk funds not because Epic games offers anything of value. Especially as they continue to try and win developers over rather 5han consumers. It's the idea to make us come, rather than lure us.

You support them doing anticonsumer points? Like you support them starting a fight using tactics that are designed to by monopolizing distribution?

You out here defending as you always do with no concept of the consequences. The very method of starting it already has negative effects. They have outright sniped kickstarter campaigns funded by fans and promised steam keys and steam support. Thrown cash around to lock out other platforms despite statements otherwise prior by devs.

You sir, are ignorant to the beast which you defend. This fight has not benefited me in any way. Other platforms have not changed in any way because ultimately Epic has offered consumers nothing on a service level other than a few free games. There are otherwise no benefits and plenty of negatives. Their only method of fighting any fight is to lock out our choices. They peddle to developers to make us go. And is a store that has caused me issues by simply existing.

If you want to make personal snipes do that, if you want to discuss topic with me you can do that. Both isn't an option.

If EG gets big enough Steam is forced to compete. The only scenario where in the long term consumers don't benefit is if EG completely fails and wastes huge amounts of money, or if Steam simply refuses to compete. There needs to be competition. For years companies have tried to compete without exclusives, for years they have failed.

Is Epic perfect? No. I want it to lose. However if long term Steam lowers its rate or a good genuine alternate store rises I'm for that. I agree with your point about Chinese companies. Though I don't trust American companies any more - Just look at Tik Tok.
    Sorry vanilla, that's not how this works. You are ignorant of the topic. That's not derogatory that's however the point at which you are bringing to this discussion. It's pretty clear you have not researched this at all. Live with it.

If EG gets big enough it's because they locked out competition.l through big money creating distribution monopolies. The only method that others would have to fight this would be to do the same. They make you come to them and others would have to employ the same tactic.

That's what you seem to miss out the most, the method of competition here isn't healthy for the consumer. Your support of the fight is in of itself toxic to consumers. Capitalism for capitalisms sake is self defeating in this case.

Vanilla..... tik tok has chinese ties..
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 1,021
    Darklawth said:

Competition is both people starting a race at the same time. Not telling one competitor they have to wait a year to start. The only thing to take from this is that CA wanted more money, plain and simple. It's not an "evil" decision, it's just a business one. I will personally never download the epic games launcher but I understand why CA did what they did; MONEY.

No it's not. That is probably the most ridiculous attempt to define "competition" ever.

It is the act of competing for superiority against rivals. When Apple launched the iphone it hadn't previously made mobile phones, so by your definition it would not have been in competition with Nokia, Motorola etc.

Apple were a new entrant seeking marketshare through innovation and technology and guess what... that is why Epic is trying to do as well!
    Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

• DarklawthDarklawth Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited June 3
    Ingr8 said:

Darklawth said:

No it's not. That is probably the most ridiculous attempt to define "competition" ever.

It is the act of competing for superiority against rivals. When Apple launched the iphone it hadn't previously made mobile phones, so by your definition it would not have been in competition with Nokia, Motorola etc.

Apple were a new entrant seeking marketshare through innovation and technology and guess what... that is why Epic is trying to do as well!
    You're missing the point friend. Say you and me want to compete to sell a game. But, I have to wait a year until I can sell my game. Why would anybody want to buy mine? They already have the game from you because they had no other option. That's not fair competition. Your example of phones doesn't work because apple isn't saying "you can't buy any phones except apple phones for an entire year". They gave another "option" to pick from, they didn't force anybody to use just their phones.
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Sorry vanilla, that's not how this works. You are ignorant of the topic. That's not derogatory that's however the point at which you are bringing to this discussion. It's pretty clear you have not researched this at all. Live with it.

If EG gets big enough it's because they locked out competition.l through big money creating distribution monopolies. The only method that others would have to fight this would be to do the same. They make you come to them and others would have to employ the same tactic.

That's what you seem to miss out the most, the method of competition here isn't healthy for the consumer. Your support of the fight is in of itself toxic to consumers. Capitalism for capitalisms sake is self defeating in this case.

Vanilla..... tik tok has chinese ties..
    Ok.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 20,137
    Stop the political comments and references or the thread will be closed.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    Darklawth said:

Ingr8 said:

Darklawth said:

You're missing the point friend. Say you and me want to compete to sell a game. But, I have to wait a year until I can sell my game. Why would anybody want to buy mine? They already have the game from you because they had no other option. That's not fair competition. Your example of phones doesn't work because apple isn't saying "you can't buy any phones except apple phones for an entire year". They gave another "option" to pick from, they didn't force anybody to use just their phones.
    Analogies are all wrong. Every single one.

There's no fair competition though. That's the whole point of competition; it's not fair. There are winners and losers. Some enter with an advantage, some a disadvantage.

Steam has a massive market share. That's a huge advantage over competing stores. Why buy from x store? Steam is where my games are and I have it downloaded already, I don't want to download another. Exclusives aren't fair, neither is Steams huge market percentage.

Long term for the industry Steam cutting it's percentage down would be brilliant.

Darklawth said:

Ingr8 said:

Darklawth said:

Analogies are all wrong. Every single one.

There's no fair competition though. That's the whole point of competition; it's not fair. There are winners and losers. Some enter with an advantage, some a disadvantage.

Steam has a massive market share. That's a huge advantage over competing stores. Why buy from x store? Steam is where my games are and I have it downloaded already, I don't want to download another. Exclusives aren't fair, neither is Steams huge market percentage.

Long term for the industry Steam cutting it's percentage down would be brilliant.
    Yep, still advocating for actions that harm a consumer for the sake of the notion. What a joke.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,144
    Steam Exclusive turns into EGS Exclusive, the apocalypse is nigh!

I tolerate Steam. It's made things friendly enough for me to accept the ASS **** I get in return. Some of you people clearly don't understand that you're literally complaining about the status quo for over a decade.
    psychoak said:

Steam Exclusive turns into EGS Exclusive, the apocalypse is nigh!

I tolerate Steam. It's made things friendly enough for me to accept the ASS **** I get in return. Some of you people clearly don't understand that you're literally complaining about the status quo for over a decade.

People would be fine if what is being offered isn't worse than the status quo. You have a developer and store openly telling their investors they will be pro companies so much that players will be made to come to them because that will be the only place available.

Swear, it's not that I dont want steam competition but not at my detriment and the worship of competition even when it harms is nonsense.