Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

TW:W3 Setting - Will it be on the End Times or AoS?

TheAlmightyZugsTheAlmightyZugs Registered Users Posts: 43
So I'm writing this to have you guys either put my mind at ease or light a fire inside it. I'm not caught up on anything that's been officially said regarding CA's future plans for TW:W3 (if anything has been said or even hinted at) and was wondering if any of you great people that have been paying attention could catch me up. Either on official statements, possible hints or just thought and feelings/opinions on what you think will happen. From what I've gathered, CA said somewhere that they will not be doing End Times units or the End Times or something like that in TW:W2 (not sure if it was TW:W2 specific or not). I've seen a lot of people mention this but I've never seen the original talking point. At the same time, they've released End Times units with the Silverin Guard so I really don't know.

Now I don't know that much about the Warhammer Fantasy lore (outside of TW) [Although I've been trying to learn more and more] but I know enough to hate Age of Sigmar. I wanted to get into TT and I actually called Games Workshop with questions I had about getting into it. Was really excited to get models of my favorite LL's etc. It was there that I found out about AoS. Suffice to say, knowing as little as I did then, I was immediately **** off. And that was before I learned the whole story. Just the logic of it alone and blah blah blah blah blah. It was just terrible. But I digress.

Knowing just how many people HATE AoS and the End Times and that whole deal, do you guys think that TW:W3 would touch the End Times (specifically on how it relates to AoS) or setup for AoS in some way? Or God forbid focus on it? Have they ever said anything at all regarding this? Or does the TW:W series just kind of exist separately from ET and AoS and they pick and choose the good and filter out the bad? So sort of like how Chaos is a threat and you either defeat them or you get steamrolled but you're not forced into it? So I guess when it comes down to it, should I be worried?

Comments

• LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 353
    They said it will be a Chaos focused game. So I guess that resembles the End Times? I am not a lore buff as well though.
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 1,076
    Age of Sigmar is absolutely not happening within the scope of Total War: Warhammer. It's a separate IP with completely different rules and lore, even if it is a sequel.

At most we'll probably see more End Times units, not see the actual story of the End Times.
  • Qwerty55Qwerty55 Registered Users Posts: 495
    AoS ain't happening, it's so empty that entire factions like Malekith or 'Malerion' don't even exist on the TT yet. AoS needs entire years to grow.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,376
    The TW:W that we know technically starts at Franz's coronation and progress through the End Times when fit hits the shan and Archaeon shows up.

However, there are a lot of inconsistencies with the currently End Times "lore", such as Vald and Isabella being dead dead at the time and certain characters (i.e. Skarsnik) not being where they should be (Karak Eight Peaks).

So while the games do loosely follow the lore timeline it takes quite a few liberties because, as CA says, the campaign is a sandbox set in the Warhammer Fantasy world at some point close to the start of the End Times, but taking great liberty as to how the story progresses, where everyone is, and what everyone is doing for the sake of gameplay and replayability.

So to answer your question, no. You shouldn't be worried. The next game will follow the same formula (near as I can tell), will not include anything AoS, and will follow the End Times in so much as to create a setting with an impending cataclysm where everything is coming together and someone comes out on top.
  • erza321erza321 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,350

Age of Sigmar is absolutely not happening within the scope of Total War: Warhammer. It's a separate IP with completely different rules and lore, even if it is a sequel.

At most we'll probably see more End Times units, not see the actual story of the End Times.

In a way WH3 will follow the story of the End Times because it was Nagash's resurrection that started the End Times and he's being reserved for game.
  • Nitros14Nitros14 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,881
    edited June 10
    It won't be AoS.

CA doesn't even have rights to that IP.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,958
    Lol how do you hate AoS? You never even played WHFB.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 4,259

TW:W3 SETTING - WILL IT BE ON THE END TIMES OR AOS?

Neither.

It will be the canceled Thamurkhan content from forgeworld.
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

• PlatypusErosPlatypusEros Registered Users Posts: 85
    AoS is not that bad.

If worried about End Times spoilers, stop reading.

Vlad and Isabella were resurrected for the End Times, I believe. Isabella ended up being resurrected by Nurgle and possessed by a daemon of Nurgle. Vlad committed suicide by putting his I'll be back ring on her finger and throwing them both off a castles wall?
    Something to that affect.
    I doubt it will be specifically End Times. End Times was really just trying up loose ends, here is how your favorite characters died, Chaos won, yada yada.
    End Times is not a good sandbox. TWW3 will be a sandbox.
  • Qwerty55Qwerty55 Registered Users Posts: 495

Lol how do you hate AoS? You never even played WHFB.

For some people it's a matter of personal taste, not rules or tabletop. AoS and Fantasy are so radically different from each other that they're entirely new settings and genres. I for one prefer the Fantasy world, lore and setting over AoS. I am not saying AoS is bad, but it's simply a setting that doesn't interest me.

Before you start saying how the WHFB rules were terrible and I should have spent more money to keep it alive. I never even had the chance because the setting was already gone when I got into it, seems to me it's a similar story with OP. I collect tabletop to paint, so the lore, setting and characters is what brings me in, not the rules.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 6,410
    Most likely end times.

Aos no different ip i think.

I hope its neither or ca version of end times.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia

Most likely end times.

Aos no different ip i think.

I hope its neither or ca version of end times.

CA Said they aren't doing the Endtimes way back in the day. That could have changed but I doubt it, although don't be shocked if they use some element from it.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 21,162
    It's as likely to be set in Star Wars as AoS.
    Thanks CA for working with Epic Games to give us Troy for free!
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 2,597
    What does that question even mean?
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,941
    I don't imagine it will be either. I imagine there'll be a focus on whatever fun you can concoct between Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs and the Daemons of Chaos and possibly Kislev.

There'll probably not be a whole lot of an elaborate story about making gods out of mortals, erecting massive magical garrisons and whatever else the End Times were about.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 935
    erza321 said:

In a way WH3 will follow the story of the End Times because it was Nagash's resurrection that started the End Times and he's being reserved for game.
    Although he's not. You may as well say Jerry Springer is being reserved for the game as there's just as much evidence for that.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 11,397
    It won’t be AoS since that is a completely different game.

It also won’t be 1:1 End Times.

I‘m just hoping for some elements of the End times, especially Chaos being an actual threat, as well as the rise of Nagash.

WH3 Immortal Empires should be very apocalyptic. I mean really apocalyptic. Chaos needs to be a major problem and not the ridiculous joke it is in WH2.
    Best would be to make it like Attila which was a „survival strategy game”.

CA already said that this trilogy has it’s own timeline, separated from the TT lore. So CA will probably adapt some aspects of the End times and creating their own thing.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,636
    Neither of them it will have its own story.
  • kelembriborkelembribor Registered Users Posts: 699
    End Times as motive were always present in the lore: Nagash was stopped from rising few times, there is always an Everchosen that leads Hordes of Chaos to claim the World, Blood of Aenarion is always drawn to Sword of Khaine ect, what was horrible was execution of that Endtimes and hurried or illogical story.

Some elements would be nice, some belong more to Age of Sigmar, how they execute it would be like working with mercury.

End Times as motive were always present in the lore: Nagash was stopped from rising few times, there is always an Everchosen that leads Hordes of Chaos to claim the World, Blood of Aenarion is always drawn to Sword of Khaine ect, what was horrible was execution of that Endtimes and hurried or illogical story.

Some elements would be nice, some belong more to Age of Sigmar, how they execute it would be like working with mercury.

Yeah they should just implement some things of the ET but not everything.

I would like to see aspects like:
    - Chaos trying to destroy the world
    - Fall of Kislev
    - Rise of Nagash
    - Mortarchs of Nagash
    - Auric Bastion

We already have some ET aspects like the Vermintide when playing Skaven for example, or Archaon destroying the entire world when playing WoC.

If CA decides to make Kislev one of the core races, it should be a very very defensive campaign similar to Western Rome in Attila.

The fall of Kislev would be great. Tzarina Katarins last stand in Erengrad for example was absolutely epic.
    That would be great for a narrative when playing Kislev, because the player would feel the ruinous Power of the Chaos gods.

So yes some ET things should be implemented, some not.

I just hope that Chaos will be an actual threat. Really want an apocalyptic atmosphere like back in Attila.
    ArneSo said:

Yeah like they shouldn't implement any of the story line and they should probably pass on a couple of the units. (Squints at Morghasts)

• yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,580
    There is no way the third game is about AoS, it would mean removing 90% of the LL that they have spent the two first games creating. Simply 0% chance.

The end times has a good chance of being part of the game. This does not mean that the exact end times will necessarily play out though, total war is a sandbox game and the end times are a specific story. The base premises of the end times are arguably already in the game, namely a massive chaos invasion lead by Archaon to destroy the world. Other central events like a huge Waaagh!!!, massive skaven uprising lead by Thanquol, return of Nagash and huge undead power have good chances of being in the game.

I also think we can expect several end times units, and even some AoS units/unit designs. There is also a chance that some end times exclusive characters will show up, and that some older characters will get their end times designs (Arkhan already has this).
    OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

Yeah like they shouldn't implement any of the story line and they should probably pass on a couple of the units. (Squints at Morghasts)

Since I never played TT, my knowledge about the ET is limited. But as far as I can tell, most stories are just dumb and only served as a reason to end the setting. So CA should ignore them. Stuff like Grimgor and Settra going nuts, or the whole Incarnates thing is pretty weird.

Other story aspects like the Fall of Kislev and the Rise of Nagash would be really cool in my opinion.

But yeah in the end it will depend on the player anyways. Playing DoC, your goal should be to bring the ET and destroy the World. As Kislev your would obviously prevent the end of the world and win against the forces of chaos.

Just like you can already bring the Vermintide as the Skaven in WH2. Something that never happened before the ET.

I honestly don’t have a problem with Morghasts. They would be cool if we get a Nagash Race with Neffy, Walach, Dieter and Drachenfels. Just my personal opinion of course.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,609
    I pray it’s neither
  • starcreator1012starcreator1012 Registered Users Posts: 197
    ArneSo said:

I would like to see aspects like:
    - Chaos trying to destroy the world
    - Fall of Kislev
    - Rise of Nagash
    - Mortarchs of Nagash
    - Auric Bastion

We already have some ET aspects like the Vermintide when playing Skaven for example, or Archaon destroying the entire world when playing WoC.

If CA decides to make Kislev one of the core races, it should be a very very defensive campaign similar to Western Rome in Attila.

The fall of Kislev would be great. Tzarina Katarins last stand in Erengrad for example was absolutely epic.
    That would be great for a narrative when playing Kislev, because the player would feel the ruinous Power of the Chaos gods.

So yes some ET things should be implemented, some not.

I just hope that Chaos will be an actual threat. Really want an apocalyptic atmosphere like back in Attila.
    The battle of Erengrad would be get to play as WH3 siege overhaul is hopefully great and would make it amazing to play as i loved the recent siege battle campaign of Grom and Ethalrion it was one of my favourite times playing WH2.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,499
    OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

But I want to:
    1. Form Aestyrion
    2. Unite all Elves under Malekith's banner
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

But I want to:
    1. Form Aestyrion
    Urgh
  • Barrel02Barrel02 Registered Users Posts: 92
    If it is Age of S***mar I'm out.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,081

So I'm writing this to have you guys either put my mind at ease or light a fire inside it. I'm not caught up on anything that's been officially said regarding CA's future plans for TW:W3 (if anything has been said or even hinted at) and was wondering if any of you great people that have been paying attention could catch me up. Either on official statements, possible hints or just thought and feelings/opinions on what you think will happen. From what I've gathered, CA said somewhere that they will not be doing End Times units or the End Times or something like that in TW:W2 (not sure if it was TW:W2 specific or not). I've seen a lot of people mention this but I've never seen the original talking point. At the same time, they've released End Times units with the Silverin Guard so I really don't know.

Now I don't know that much about the Warhammer Fantasy lore (outside of TW) [Although I've been trying to learn more and more] but I know enough to hate Age of Sigmar. I wanted to get into TT and I actually called Games Workshop with questions I had about getting into it. Was really excited to get models of my favorite LL's etc. It was there that I found out about AoS. Suffice to say, knowing as little as I did then, I was immediately **** off. And that was before I learned the whole story. Just the logic of it alone and blah blah blah blah blah. It was just terrible. But I digress.

Knowing just how many people HATE AoS and the End Times and that whole deal, do you guys think that TW:W3 would touch the End Times (specifically on how it relates to AoS) or setup for AoS in some way? Or God forbid focus on it? Have they ever said anything at all regarding this? Or does the TW:W series just kind of exist separately from ET and AoS and they pick and choose the good and filter out the bad? So sort of like how Chaos is a threat and you either defeat them or you get steamrolled but you're not forced into it? So I guess when it comes down to it, should I be worried?

Total War: Warhammer Trilogy already have some References to the End Times, especially with the Undead, the Famous "Settra does not serve" Saying is from the End Times, Arkhan Model is from the End Times, and Nagash as the New Death God is from the End Times, and you bet that if Nagash would be added to the Game, he is going to have his End Times and Age of Sigmar Model.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Nagash

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,499
    ArneSo said:

OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

But I want to:
    1. Form Aestyrion
    Urgh
    I know, the best ideas for Game3's Tyrion and Malekith reworks.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-